Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I bought a copy of Mega Man Zero for the GBA at GameStop years ago. It said "Ninfendo" on the back of the cartridge. Otherwise it looked pretty legit and ran just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

eBay listings with reasonable looking prices and photos that look like they're actually of the cart theyre selling so you can check for obvious bootleg stuff are about the best you can do.

even this isn't 100%, i've bought stuff off ebay that simply didn't match the photo at all. i once bought a listing that used a photo of a real ff6-gba cart, but the one that came in the mail didn't even have the same label and it had the super-deformed art of some ff5 characters printed on.

granted, when you call them out on it, they'll usually refund you because that poo poo is straight up fraud, legally speaking. get your refund and report them anyway.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Impermanent posted:

is there a way to get old ds games without accidentally buying bootlegs? I just got the new 2ds xl and I want to play the DS castlevanias I missed.

Buy on Amazon used, they do a much better job policing fraud. Also don't order from China, Hong Kong, etc. buy from small sellers selling 1 copy of the game not multiple, etc.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Back in the day I think I had a bootleg copy of RoboCop 2 for the Game Boy. For some reason the Nintendo logo at the start fell down after it beeped.

Which means it didn’t work with the Game Genie and I could never beat ED209 the third time :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One I look for is it being the EU version since people hardly ever go to effort of making bootlegs to look like those, though again a fake photo isn't going to help there and it's probably not terribly useful to anyone not in the EU.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Europe's getting Yokai Watch 3 a little earlier than the US:

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1057195404880723968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5oNs-fk5w

I just noticed it's just the one version, too - I can only assume it's the third version, Sukiyaki or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 30, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Europe's getting Yokai Watch 3 a little earlier than the US:

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1057195404880723968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5oNs-fk5w

I just noticed it's just the one version, too - I can only assume it's the third version, Sukiyaki or whatever.

Releasing against Smash Bros isn't gonna do it any favours though :eyepop:.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm surprised Youkai Watch is still a thing

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 30, 2018

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I am too, voltcatfish. They threw so much at it to make it the next Pokemon and no one talks about Yokai Watch at all.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've only seen it brought up recently when comparing the new YW Switch game to Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The only reason I even remember the franchise is because the Dutch dub of the cartoon gave most of the Yokai Belgium VOs. It is fantastic.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had no idea Yokai Watch was a video game but I joined a Facebook group for it because it came up in recommendations and people just posted cool Japanese art of demons and poo poo

Every other post was someone posting literally anything and captioning it with "is this a Yokai??? I think this is a Yokai" (photo of a statue of Ganesh)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

voltcatfish posted:

I'm surprised Youkai Watch is still a thing

I think at this point they're just trying to MAKE it still be a thing.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
It's still pretty massive in Japan with kids.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean sure it's just that Steven King joke about lampshade monsters applied to a kids show.

Here 's a... uh... samurai kitty ghost. And a car... frog... spaceman spirit... thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yokai Watch isn't as big in Japan as it was at its peak, mainly because they milked it too hard but also because they've had to back off a little while they continue making and delaying the sequel.

Yokai Watch never caught on in the US but both the games and the anime are reasonably popular elsewhere. I don't know how they're selling right now but the first couple English releases did fine for non-Nintendo JRPGs, even if they didn't make a dent in Pokemon. The one they just announced was the one they designed specifically to appeal to the US but they took too long to bring it over and it can't hope to have the effect they designed it to have.

I haven't been paying attention but from what I recall, they just replaced the original anime in Japan with a new one that more horror-y and aimed at an older audience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yokai Watch isn't as big in Japan as it was at its peak, mainly because they milked it too hard but also because they've had to back off a little while they continue making and delaying the sequel.

Yokai Watch never caught on in the US but both the games and the anime are reasonably popular elsewhere. I don't know how they're selling right now but the first couple English releases did fine for non-Nintendo JRPGs, even if they didn't make a dent in Pokemon. The one they just announced was the one they designed specifically to appeal to the US but they took too long to bring it over and it can't hope to have the effect they designed it to have.

I haven't been paying attention but from what I recall, they just replaced the original anime in Japan with a new one that more horror-y and aimed at an older audience.

...so it's basically the new Digimon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...so it's basically the new Digimon?

I wouldn't say that, Digimon knows at this point they're mostly riding off nostalgia and they do pretty well aiming at that. Though they have managed to make a surprisingly-good Persona-lite offshoot with the Digimon Story games on PS4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Digimon games have been pretty good these past few years! I've enjoyed some of them a lot more than some of the more recent Pokemon/Yokai Watch games but yeah it's a situation where they're playing to their strengths.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I've ( finally ) started Fire Emblem Awakening after owning it for quite a few years. I'm halfway through the story at the moment. I'm going to finish it, but the game is hardly my favourite.

The story and the characters are pretty much terrible, but I didn't have high expectations on those to begin with.

My main gripe is that the game feels closer to a puzzle game than a strategy game. Some of the maps pretty much require you to know beforehand what happens for you to complete them, in particular the recruitment maps. I feel the issue is emphasised by the permadeath, which basically disables the chance of taking acceptable, but recoverable, losses. I feel that a strategy game shouldn't have such a mechanic because it makes the map feel too much like there is a solution to be found, rather than a plan to a good enough end result.

This is probably a matter of different preferences and expectations, but I felt the game would have worked better with a less binary mechanic of attrition. I am aware you can turn it off, but then the game seems to lose a too significant feature to be challenging or interesting.

And so that the post wouldn't be just me ranting, I have a question. Is Fates similar to Awakening on the "puzzle" part, if anyone understood what I meant with it?

I have Fates as well, but rather not open it if it will fall flat for me.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
It's been a long time so take this with a grain of salt. Both Fates games cut down on unexpected reinforcements and when they do exist they dont move before you.

Birthright had more straightforward maps. Similar to awakening with some improvements.

Conquest has the "better" maps. They usually have interesting designs and some control objectives that are very important to winning the fight without heavy losses. They feel more puzzlish but also more variety and difficulty.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Chazani posted:

My main gripe is that the game feels closer to a puzzle game than a strategy game. Some of the maps pretty much require you to know beforehand what happens for you to complete them, in particular the recruitment maps. I feel the issue is emphasised by the permadeath, which basically disables the chance of taking acceptable, but recoverable, losses. I feel that a strategy game shouldn't have such a mechanic because it makes the map feel too much like there is a solution to be found, rather than a plan to a good enough end result.

This is probably a matter of different preferences and expectations, but I felt the game would have worked better with a less binary mechanic of attrition. I am aware you can turn it off, but then the game seems to lose a too significant feature to be challenging or interesting.

Yeah, pretty much all of the fire emblems are designed like this, and you're absolutely right that casual mode would not be any fun for you. It feels bad to have to restart a level if you lose a unit, but that's always been the intended way to play. The early-game levels of fire emblem do tend to be more like puzzles, and later on things get a little more free form since there's more possibilities for your party and the characters you chose to level up. Fates Conquest is very extreme in that regard. Based on your post I think you should skip playing fe fates.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't say that, Digimon knows at this point they're mostly riding off nostalgia and they do pretty well aiming at that. Though they have managed to make a surprisingly-good Persona-lite offshoot with the Digimon Story games on PS4.

I said new, in that it sounds like you're describing their counterpart to Digimon Tamers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I said new, in that it sounds like you're describing their counterpart to Digimon Tamers.

The Digimon Story games released in 2016 (Cyber Sleuth) and late 2017 (Hacker's Memory) respectively. They're nowhere near as old as Tamers.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chazani posted:

I've ( finally ) started Fire Emblem Awakening after owning it for quite a few years. I'm halfway through the story at the moment. I'm going to finish it, but the game is hardly my favourite.

The story and the characters are pretty much terrible, but I didn't have high expectations on those to begin with.

I played a lot of Awakening during my latest vacation alongside the thread-recommended Rhythm Heaven (what a gem!). I'm up to the 2nd to last level and I decided I wanted to get some of the support conversations in place before wrapping it up. I'm playing on Hard and I'm pretty over-leveled but whatever. It's taken me ages to get this far, just due to disinterest. For me the biggest problem is the story. It's really not interesting but what adds to it is that just about every character is obnoxious as all hell. The weird time-travel deal with it makes it worlds more strange once the generations start running into each other and you have parents mingling with their children who're pretty much their age .

I had trouble getting in FE pretty much right away with Sacred Stones, because the characters and their support dialogues were so bland. Path of Radiance was actually pretty great though I never finished the sequel.

I suppose Blazing Sword/7 and Binding Blade/6 were the only ones I really liked. 7 was obviously my first and I found the characterization decent even if the plot was nothing spectacular, and I thought they did the prequel angle well with strong and consistent relationships coming out of 6.

You get the impression they wanted to do that in Awakenings but it sort of just falls flat. I'm trying to pair characters based on their class or even personalities, but everyone is so dull that it feels forced. It really must've been a thing of my past because I remember getting all the supports in 7 with interest and after that it just would become a slog though I tried again in some earnest with 9.

Anyway, FE is an alright game but probably not as good as I used to think. I'd like to see if Advance Wars holds up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

awakening has a lot of good supports but also a lot of nothing supports, just because when every character can support with every opposite-sex character you're gonna run out of ideas eventually. some of the characters are too defined by their gimmick (Kellam...) but the moment-to-moment line writing is charming enough that i still enjoyed it decently well

and then fates had more supports, worse writing, and a lot of characters that didn't even have a gimmick, let alone a personality :smith:

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 4, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who the heck is Kellam

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Who the heck is Kellam

olivia's husbando

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Who the heck is Kellam

I'm sorry, who ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dmboogie posted:

awakening has a lot of good supports but also a lot of nothing supports, just because when every character can support with every opposite-sex character you're gonna run out of ideas eventually. some of the characters are too defined by their gimmick (Kellam...) but the moment-to-moment line writing is charming enough that i still enjoyed it decently well

and then fates had more supports, worse writing, and a lot of characters that didn't even have a gimmick, let alone a personality :smith:

And you had supports that were outright removed in the localisation and filled with ellipses, or furry roleplay gimmicks.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the answers!

I'll finish Awakening and sell the Fates. Some of the changes done to Fates do sound good ( reinforcements ) but it seems that the basic issue I have with the series remains.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IMO Give Fates a try before you sell it if you've already bought it.

Your main complaint about the game can be solved by playing Conquest and turning off Permadeath imo - Permadeath removes a lot of the bullshit "that shouldn't have happened" final enemy on the map lucky crits killing your main character stuff. Try playing the game as if Permadeath still exists - don't just sacrifice guys to finish a map, it'll make it braindead easy.

Conquest has pretty good maps and gameplay, and while the story is not amazing I think it's better than the others.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chazani posted:

Thanks for the answers!

I'll finish Awakening and sell the Fates. Some of the changes done to Fates do sound good ( reinforcements ) but it seems that the basic issue I have with the series remains.

Fates Conquest has the best gameplay in the series, and Fates in general makes some cool mechanical changes that set it apart.

I'd give Conquest a try first. Just for the love of god mash Start through all the cutscenes. The story in Fates is an absolute dumpster fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

IMO Give Fates a try before you sell it if you've already bought it.

Your main complaint about the game can be solved by playing Conquest and turning off Permadeath imo - Permadeath removes a lot of the bullshit "that shouldn't have happened" final enemy on the map lucky crits killing your main character stuff. Try playing the game as if Permadeath still exists - don't just sacrifice guys to finish a map, it'll make it braindead easy.

Conquest has pretty good maps and gameplay, and while the story is not amazing I think it's better than the others.

Conquest has, by far, the worst story in the Fates trio. Birthright is bland but fairly serviceable. Revelations is bad and dumb.

Conquest is actively awful. Like there's a scene part way through where Corrin tells another party member 'Hey, I'm going to pretend to be bad to trick someone'. THE NEXT loving SCENE has that person freaking out 'OH MY GOD CORRIN IS EVIL NOW????' Also you keep working for someone who is blatantly trying to murder you while your 'siblings' are cowards and generally poo poo people. And your ultimate goal is to conquer a nation and kill hundreds of innocent people so you can trick someone into sitting on a chair.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I think Conquest has the best story because its badness is entertaining and not as dull as the other two

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zore posted:

And your ultimate goal is to conquer a nation and kill hundreds of innocent people so you can trick someone into sitting on a chair.

When do the Space Marines come in?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
How does the fan translation compare to the official localization for the Fates games? Or is it just a cringey effort to restore the skinship features?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally I think Conquest has the best story because its badness is entertaining and not as dull as the other two

This

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

general chaos posted:

How does the fan translation compare to the official localization for the Fates games? Or is it just a cringey effort to restore the skinship features?

The later. Stick with the official translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, my potentially bootleg Portrait of Ruin showed up last night...it boots and plays seemingly fine, but I can tell the cartridge feels low quality compared to some of my other games.

Someone mentioned they had a bootleg that kept crashing on them; did that happen pretty immediately? Or did it take time to manifest?