Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This is a bit off topic, but related to my earlier comments that you can't really make a game with tons of moving parts and not have incredible bugs.

Observe.

https://twitter.com/StridentSong/status/1055730870105980928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cool trailer, but it's the cadbury song already. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3RRDSNJTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnmEudy1JPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma8yKJfQnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAKRqQwpauY

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I still remember the Destiny commercial where they were cracking jokes and Immigrant Song was playing and then the actual game was dryer than wombat turds

I believe it was also live action

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

7c Nickel posted:

This is a bit off topic, but related to my earlier comments that you can't really make a game with tons of moving parts and not have incredible bugs.

Observe.

Yea, RDR2 also has really interesting and well crafted stuff to show for itself.

:popeye:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, RDR2 also has really interesting and well crafted stuff to show for itself.

:popeye:

thank god you cleared that up I thought it might suck just based on this one clip of a bugged horse

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's a good commercial.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Just throwing this out for those who might actually play 76 rather than just complain about it.

Brotherhood Of Goon are orginising for antics and amusements across various platforms.

Details can be found here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872562

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

7c Nickel posted:

Observe.

fallout doesnt have a ton of moving parts, the engine suck and they havent fixed it in like 15 years. also it isnt a game with the ambition or scope of rdr2

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Say what you want about Bethesda, but by all reports, they have a pretty good internal culture, where people are empowered to make contributions to the games and stick to the team, with a very low turnover.

That sounds like evidence of a work environment that doesn't thrive on mandatory crunch and worker abuse, unlike Rockstar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If a few hundred computer nerds have to suffer so the world can have a good cowboy video game, its worth it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Flesh Forge posted:

If a few hundred computer nerds have to suffer so the world can have a good cowboy video game, its worth it

In a thread of terrible takes, a champion has emerged.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Say what you want about Bethesda, but by all reports, they have a pretty good internal culture, where people are empowered to make contributions to the games and stick to the team, with a very low turnover.

That sounds like evidence of a work environment that doesn't thrive on mandatory crunch and worker abuse, unlike Rockstar.
Bethesda’s a good company overall and has not really bought into the ‘single-player campaigns are dead’ nonsense the other publishers are pushing, but FO76 is a step in the wrong direction.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm a bit further into Nuka World and it hasn't gotten boring yet. Clearing the parks is some of the most fun I've ever had with a fallout dungeon crawl. They managed to make them all feel unique, both visually and gameplay-wise. Kiddie Kingdom was an absolute nightmare on survival and I loved every second of it.

Raider Radio is an absolute delight if a bit too repetitive, though that raider folktale about Atlas will never get old. I think I'm in love with N.I.R.A.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
4 was missing that kind of more meaty dungeoning. Nukagalaxy is by far the best of the parks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Flesh Forge posted:

Anyone who buys RDR2 is a scab

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Bethesda got one thing right with the beta, at least: they have plenty of bandwidth. It is the first game download that has ever maxed out my gigabit fiber connection.

Now just to wait and see how broken everything else is.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i downloaded 97 gigas in one hour, it blow my mind with rdr2

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Please Todd, for the love of everything holy and pure, give us pvp servers. It's the only thing I'm asking for in this game.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

i downloaded 97 gigas in one hour, it blow my mind with rdr2

It took multiple hours to install RDR2 off the drat discs

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

what

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

pyrotek posted:

It took multiple hours to install RDR2 off the drat discs

I think the console architecture make IO access super slow.
Console game devs fight this problem with a process called "baking" where they repeat the same texture/model/resource multiple times in the "disc".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Someone trying too hard to play the "HEH caring about things is lame" game probably

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

RDR2 itemization is boring as hell. You enter a house, you loot it, and all you get is some consumables.
Activities variety is pretty sparse as well. Theres like 3 "board" games, 3 or 4 world activities.

What the game have is tons of npc dialog and that type of stuff, that is plenty and well done.

RDR2 is like Medieval GTA with 62 hours of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin audiobooks autoplaying in background while Terence Malick control the camera.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 29, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Prophecy120 posted:

Please Todd, for the love of everything holy and pure, give us pvp servers. It's the only thing I'm asking for in this game.

Yea agreed, and only pvp servers, and get rid of the lame no damage until someone fights back thing

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

PvP servers will probably be added some time after release, but not nearly early enough for it to matter. I'm gonna go ahead and guess... 7 months from release.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
That would be totally fine with me. As long as they add them eventually. You wouldn't even need to make them 'balanced'. Just put a disclaimer up before you select Pvp mode. 'Fallout 76 Pvp-enabled mode is NOT balanced. There WILL be griefing. You have been warned'. Done.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea agreed, and only pvp servers, and get rid of the lame no damage until someone fights back thing

fits your rap sheet pretty well

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Meeeow.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I am hoping that they elaborate on PVP options and features in the future. Being able to consent to play only with other PVP-ers would be a good step in that direction.

Also hoping maybe for a Dark-Souls-Like invasion system that adds paranoia to the experience. I.E. People who are hunting you for a bounty can come into your world to stalk you - getting banished (and matched up with a different server or different bounty target) if they fail or claim the bounty.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I was thinking griefing would be terrible, but I guess you could always log out to a different server.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

That and it looks like death isn't a big deal.

If there's any griefing to be had, it would probably be from stunlocking players with a weapon or ability that causes knockout, such as possibly the syringe gun.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I watched a bunch of footage from streamers, and I'm kinda pumped for the game now. It has exactly the things I love about Fallout: exploring, even if it's the same sad story broken up by whimsical positions of teddy bears, and being Queen of Trash Mountain. I enjoyed being Queen of Trash Mountain even when it was actually just pointless clutter, such as when I cleared Old World Blues the first time in New Vegas and and could go back to the main Wasteland, I had hundreds of clipboards I could now break down in the Sink.

Also Fallout 4 made me realize I also enjoy building post-apocalypse Barbie Dreamhouses. I think I dropped at least 20 hours in designing the Vault 88 area alone.

I'm still a little sad that it's not single player, and that there doesn't seem to be a lot of living NPC's to interact with. But the game as is looks fun, so I pre-ordered it last weekend. ( But though Amazon, because I just hit minimum specs. )

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Twincityhacker posted:

Also Fallout 4 made me realize I also enjoy building post-apocalypse Barbie Dreamhouses. I think I dropped at least 20 hours in designing the Vault 88 area alone.

I fell down that rabbit hole when I set up the gate to the first settlement and suddenly I was making sure the guards stationed there had shade, chairs and a radio to listen to.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
They definitely have some stuff to straighten out. I saw a reddit thread last night and apparently killing a murderer is not a purely noble action to the game. It allows the murderer to use the Seek Revenge option (like you'd get after a consensual fight), spawn near you, and start hitting you at full damage immediately. Dude killed a murderer, collected his bounty, then was mowed down very shortly after. There's no logout timer either, so the murderer looted his junk and logged immediately. A Bethesda rep said they'd pass the info on.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Remeber you can follow players to other servers if they log out by and relog by using the recent players list. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Honestly those base defense events I saw in streams bum me out more than anything. I hate them.

Empty world.survival horror would be good but it isn't that either :(

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

I'm a bit further into Nuka World and it hasn't gotten boring yet. Clearing the parks is some of the most fun I've ever had with a fallout dungeon crawl. They managed to make them all feel unique, both visually and gameplay-wise. Kiddie Kingdom was an absolute nightmare on survival and I loved every second of it.

Raider Radio is an absolute delight if a bit too repetitive, though that raider folktale about Atlas will never get old. I think I'm in love with N.I.R.A.

Taking a single Commonwealth settlement for the raiders will make him flip his lid. Thats his point of no return, and the only one there is as far as I know. I'm in Kiddie Kingdom on Horizon Survival and mannnnnn is it really hard. Horizon makes Nuka-world a real bitch. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I respawned in Nuka-World. Oh well thats what console COC command is for.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The whole not having a workshop is stupid garbage

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not certain how many active goons there are going to be during the beta just yet for PC, but if we get close to 20 players we'll all pretty much be on the same server.

Which likely means we'll either be picking on or humoring the few pubbies we get.

Or during peak play we'll mainly just be a 100% goon server and basically be sharing info and gear a lot.

If/when crossplay is added post-launch then those numbers will be even more consistent, probably with different server voice groups to boot.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sorry if this is noob question, but do you have to pick a server for your character, or can you hop around? Like, if I start playing solo can I bring my guy and hangout with a friend?