Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tollymain posted:

e: also im p sure the 7 dread kings of creation are all abjectly devoid of royalty in their own hosed up ways

id say mottom is probably closest rn, which is interesting to me. i wonder shell be a tiny old lady (but just as fearsome) by the time we see her again, thats the best version of mottom by far
This is what interests me about Solomon David. He knows he doesn't possess true Royalty and wants to move the gently caress on from his comfy dictatorship so he can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Well, he says he wants to, at least...he just doesn't actually act that way.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
He's an addict. He's addicted to Absolute Monarchy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'I want to pass this empire on to a good ruler and by 'good ruler' I mean someone who would do everything exactly as I would do it.'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

White Coke posted:

He's an addict. He's addicted to Absolute Monarchy.

Exactly. If Soldave had an ounce of True Royalty he'd have hosed off and left his kingdom to sort its own business out centuries ago because so far True Royalty seems primarily concerned with having sweet fights, murdering gods, etc, not anything like domain management.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Royalty is not pretending anyone else is making you do anything. Everything you do, you do by choice. You can say "My empire needs me" and "If I don't keep this court happy I'll die" or whatever else, but those are excuses. You're doing it, you're choosing to do it, the power will not obey an irresolute wielder. Choose to do what you will and drat the consequences - true Royalty doesn't recognize consequences, let alone get dissuaded by them.

It's furious idiocy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Royalty is not pretending anyone else is making you do anything. Everything you do, you do by choice. You can say "My empire needs me" and "If I don't keep this court happy I'll die" or whatever else, but those are excuses. You're doing it, you're choosing to do it, the power will not obey an irresolute wielder. Choose to do what you will and drat the consequences - true Royalty doesn't recognize consequences, let alone get dissuaded by them.

It's furious idiocy.
There's a reason Pree Aesma is considered the greatest exemplar of royalty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aesma looked at a bunch of stuff that people have spent lifetimes working on, declared it poo poo, then it actually became poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aesma looked at a bunch of stuff that people have spent lifetimes working on, declared it poo poo, then it actually became poo poo.

It had always actually been poo poo, Aesma was just the first person Royal enough to tell it like it is.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

You all act like the things being objectively poo poo matters at all to Royalty.

Royalty doesn't care, and in fact Royalty has no interest in which things are objectively good or bad, because Royalty doesn't care. Royalty is the tranvaluation of values, as enacted by a solipsistic divinity. Royalty doesn't deal in cosmic orders and secret harmonies of the universe, it deals in pure will and the totally illusory world of things, because those are what matter to people. The Art is lying in the face of God; Royalty is not caring enough about what God thinks to lie.

EDIT: What I mean is, Allison is going to keep pursuing a pretty basic sense of morality, the same way Aesma pursued a complete amorality, and both pursuits can be equally Royalty, because as far as can be told Royalty is an attitude, not a code.

Double edit: Obviously, open to interpretation, because Royalty is a nebulous concept that may or may not be purely in-universe speculation. This is a good comic.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 29, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Royalty comes in many and varied forms, all of which are Not Giving Any Fucks and range from a detachment from all desire and suffering to grabbing the Wheel to bludgeon your opponent to death.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Pursuit of Royalty is the Pursuit of Want. True Royalty is claiming your desire, regardless of the consequences.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Royalty is fulfilling your want and also deciding what if any consequences there are.

Having your cake and eating it too. The cake might be solid diamond dusted with magical radioactive isotope frosting but that won't stop you eating it with gusto.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Royalty is dril tweets.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1056549769051623424?s=19

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Royalty is sociopathy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, the liturgy mentions somebody who did not pursue Royalty and thus achieved it effortlessly. Intra, maybe?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

Royalty is sociopathy.

If it were this simple a non-zero number of demiurges would have already achieved it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember, a fisherman is closer to royalty than any ruler

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

NEET life is Royalty.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
royalty is v obviously a subjective thing in the details department but im p sure you have to go outside at least

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://archiveofourown.org/works/11461911 this is a neat little treat

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kai Tave posted:

Exactly. If Soldave had an ounce of True Royalty he'd have hosed off and left his kingdom to sort its own business out centuries ago because so far True Royalty seems primarily concerned with having sweet fights, murdering gods, etc, not anything like domain management.

Becoming a king and being a king are two completely different and entirely unrelated disciplines.

It's the same effect that means heroes of the revolution make terrible presidents.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I don't think Solomon is waiting for a messiah who will do everything he would do; he's waiting for a messiah who will rule his empire without all the Hard Kings Making Hard Decisions-ing Solomon employs in his rule. The messiah won't need to execute peasants en masse for not smiling and cheering at his passage, because not smiling will be repugnant all on its own, without the threat of death involved -- they'll want to smile. None of the expediencies of Solomon's rule will be necessary, and everything will be just and wise and fair, allowing Solomon to return to his pursuit of enlightenment.

The problem being that Solomon thinks the Celestial Empire as it stands is necessary, which it really isn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wait, there's a KSBD RPG? Sold.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poltergrift posted:

I don't think Solomon is waiting for a messiah who will do everything he would do; he's waiting for a messiah who will rule his empire without all the Hard Kings Making Hard Decisions-ing Solomon employs in his rule. The messiah won't need to execute peasants en masse for not smiling and cheering at his passage, because not smiling will be repugnant all on its own, without the threat of death involved -- they'll want to smile. None of the expediencies of Solomon's rule will be necessary, and everything will be just and wise and fair, allowing Solomon to return to his pursuit of enlightenment.

The problem being that Solomon thinks the Celestial Empire as it stands is necessary, which it really isn't.

I disagree; I think Solomon thinks he is wise and just and fair, and he just wants someone who'll be as wise and just and fair to his people as he is so he can gently caress off.

We'll see who's borne out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I disagree; I think Solomon thinks he is wise and just and fair, and he just wants someone who'll be as wise and just and fair to his people as he is so he can gently caress off.

We'll see who's borne out.

My take on it is that he keeps up the pretense of allowing a successor because it lets him present himself as a benevolent ruler who does not desire unending dictatorship; although it's plainly obvious that the conditions he made (spill a drop of blood from him) are practically impossible, so it's pretty clear he doesn't actually want to stop ruling. It will be interesting to see what his reaction is if (or when? Allison I assume) someone manages to fulfill his requirements.

It's also a bizarre thing to require for a leader. Just physical strength? How does that qualify you to lead? Yet there it is, that's what he wants, no questioning it.

His actions with the builders exemplify this - he's helping them not because he ACTUALLY wants them to be with their families, but because it allows him to look/feel benevolent in that moment. Yes, they may see their families today, but tomorrow? They're overworked and bleeding again. He did nothing to stop that from happening in the first place, after all. If he actually cared about them, he'd either do all that work himself EVERY day, or concentrate on creating a society where no one NEEDS to be overworked to create monuments to him instead of spending his time on pointless grandstanding.

He most certainly does NOT want a Messiah. He's holding Zaid there as a ward, not a successor. He sees him as a threat to be contained.

There's a note somewhere that Jaggonoth's 111,111 worlds have the most unconquered realms. Honestly, I'd prefer to be under him than Solomon David. Jaggonoth clearly has other priorities (the downfall of the other 6 I assume) and sees conquering and ruling realms as pointlessly vain. And we've seen from Mottom and Incubus' realms the cost of maintaining an empire.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nimby posted:

Royalty is dril tweets.

this is the only accurate post on the topic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rotten Red Rod posted:

His actions with the builders exemplify this - he's helping them not because he ACTUALLY wants them to be with their families, but because it allows him to look/feel benevolent in that moment. Yes, they may see their families today, but tomorrow? They're overworked and bleeding again. He did nothing to stop that from happening in the first place, after all. If he actually cared about them, he'd either do all that work himself EVERY day, or concentrate on creating a society where no one NEEDS to be overworked to create monuments to him instead of spending his time on pointless grandstanding.

It's not that he chooses not to create such a society, but that universal stalemate precludes it. People will choose to overwork themselves to create monuments to him for as long as he portrays himself as a benevolent god-king, and he has to portray himself as a benevolent god-king or risk coming across as weak to the other six (generally less benevolent) god-kings, which would risk open war. The only out he has that avoids that is for someone else to take up that burden.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that he chooses not to create such a society, but that universal stalemate precludes it. People will choose to overwork themselves to create monuments to him for as long as he portrays himself as a benevolent god-king, and he has to portray himself as a benevolent god-king or risk coming across as weak to the other six (generally less benevolent) god-kings, which would risk open war. The only out he has that avoids that is for someone else to take up that burden.

Heh, Maya clearly found another way out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah, Jagganoth's unconquered worlds are probably fine. Shame that his goal is the absolute annihilation of all that exists, and he's well on his way to being powerful enough to do it.

Also, Maya found a way out because she's Royal enough to say 'I don't want this throne' and just gently caress off. Which, uh, went incredibly poorly for 111,111 worlds, since Incubus got his part of the pact of the seven part world because of her loving off. And Incubus' worlds seem to be some of the worst, from what little we know of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Heh, Maya clearly found another way out.

Not really? Assuming it's correct that she handed her shard to Incubus, she did exactly what Solomon's attempting to do, now.

Only instead of appointing "one worthy enough to shoulder the awesome responsibility of being this land's protector" she chose some horny blind swordsman.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Not really? Assuming it's correct that she handed her shard to Incubus, she did exactly what Solomon's attempting to do, now.

Only instead of appointing "one worthy enough to shoulder the awesome responsibility of being this land's protector" she chose some horny blind swordsman.

Well she's not quite done with her plan yet, come on - she's working on the whole "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones" thing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well she's not quite done with her plan yet, come on - she's working on the whole "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones" thing.

She wasn't before Allison turned up with the Ruling King's power in her skull. Maya was not getting up to anything but drinking and noodles before she latched onto a parade of fools.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

She wasn't before Allison turned up with the Ruling King's power in her skull. Maya was not getting up to anything but drinking and noodles before she latched onto a parade of fools.

I know, I didn't really mean she is/was doing the right thing - just that any of these 7 fuckers could, at any time, give it up, no matter how much they insist they're stuck with it.

Like Mottom - she claims she wanted to give it up, but what she ACTUALLY wanted was a puppet to take on all the hard and scary parts while she kept living forever in luxury. And Solomon David, he claims he wants to give it up, but systematically closes all possibilities to actually giving it up.

(Mammon might be the exception though - he's clearly lost the capability to give it up. And we don't really know much about the other two.)

Jaggonoth and Incubus have clearly decided the best course of action is to tear that poo poo down, though. Like White Chain said, it may be evil, but at least it's something.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Nice.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah that was pretty good!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Yeah that was good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Witch didnt count on meeting a bad person. laffo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Makes you wonder if we will...or maybe already have...meet the ex-Princess of Good.