Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

Third person action type AAA games tend to have hybrid gameplay that doesn't shine in any single aspect.

This is probably one of the main problems with the Saint's Row games as they go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The last console I owned was a sega saturn

"and am therefore a console hipster"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think one of my problems with GTA and its alikes is they don't focus enough on the cars.

Saint's Row IV made them obsolete, even a liability, but I felt they were the most fun part of 3 by far!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EvilGenius posted:

Bumper cam is the best driving game camera position

This is true unless it's Burnout

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think one of my problems with GTA and its alikes is they don't focus enough on the cars.

Saint's Row IV made them obsolete, even a liability, but I felt they were the most fun part of 3 by far!

Saints Row 3 was a lot of fun and 4 sucked rear end. I guess that's an unpopular opinion itself. SR4 was one of the laziest games I've ever played. They literally just reskinned SR3 despite the world not being designed around super powers and the result is sloppy as hell. It felt like a DLC.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
The protag in DQXI is distractingly bad, especially being surrounded by rad characters like Sylv and Rab. I love and have grown up with a lot of JRPGs, so I'm familiar with blank slate characters, but I've never seen anything so wooden in a video game in my life.

Very much like it's kind of hard to get into Dark Souls when your first exposure to it was Bloodborne, I find it impossible to actually like God of War '18 because I played Hellblade first.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I never would've gotten into Dark SOuls if it hadn't been for Bloodborne.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Saints Row 3 was a lot of fun and 4 sucked rear end. I guess that's an unpopular opinion itself. SR4 was one of the laziest games I've ever played. They literally just reskinned SR3 despite the world not being designed around super powers and the result is sloppy as hell. It felt like a DLC.

It was supposed to be DLC for 3 but got spun off into its own game as THQ went bankrupt.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've been trash talking it a bunch in this thread, but I've finally come round to God of war '18. It's only really because I've finally come to accept it as it's own thing and not God of war, but a lot of it is just that it does story in slightly more interesting ways than normal. Like, obviously the boy constantly being there, but then later various other "characters" join you, and they're all handled well. What's impressive, is that they're all handled well despite Kratos staying true to form as the most po faced angst driven rage goblin. Kratos cursing the stars for all their empty promises works as he murders Gods to avenge his dead wife in the previous games, but is positively hilarious in this one, while he's rowing a little boat with a young boy and a chipper talking head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MNSNTZR posted:

Very much like it's kind of hard to get into Dark Souls when your first exposure to it was Bloodborne, I find it impossible to actually like God of War '18 because I played Hellblade first.

I dunno dark souls is pretty much equally cool with Bloodborne imo. Either one would have drawn me to the other.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

!Klams posted:

I've been trash talking it a bunch in this thread, but I've finally come round to God of war '18. It's only really because I've finally come to accept it as it's own thing and not God of war, but a lot of it is just that it does story in slightly more interesting ways than normal. Like, obviously the boy constantly being there, but then later various other "characters" join you, and they're all handled well. What's impressive, is that they're all handled well despite Kratos staying true to form as the most po faced angst driven rage goblin. Kratos cursing the stars for all their empty promises works as he murders Gods to avenge his dead wife in the previous games, but is positively hilarious in this one, while he's rowing a little boat with a young boy and a chipper talking head.

It's not great, but it's pretty good.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I never would've gotten into Dark SOuls if it hadn't been for Bloodborne.

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno dark souls is pretty much equally cool with Bloodborne imo. Either one would have drawn me to the other.

Admittedly, I just really loving hate medieval fantasy. I'll take the edgelord version of a Victorian gothic jerkoff sesh than that any day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MNSNTZR posted:

Admittedly, I just really loving hate medieval fantasy. I'll take the edgelord version of a Victorian gothic jerkoff sesh than that any day.

Yeah, I mostly hate medieval fantasy and my natural instinct is to dismiss it on sight, which would've been a shame because I absolutely love the asynchronous Dark Fantasy mold FROMSOFT has refined, and it doesn't really contain any of the standard High Fantasy diarheah. But if it wasn't for Bloodborne (among other things) I would've passed the whole thing up (I've now played almost everything that Miyazaki has worked on)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MNSNTZR posted:

Bark Souls has the best version of Frampt

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

To this day the most unstable PS4 game I've played. Like every few hours would lock the system up so bad I had to unplug it at the wall.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dark Souls' setting worked well for me because the big interconnectedness of it and weird NPCs made it feel like a modern Zelda 1. Coming from Demon's Souls and its levels it was really cool.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pocket Billiards posted:

To this day the most unstable PS4 game I've played. Like every few hours would lock the system up so bad I had to unplug it at the wall.

A friend of mine has played through SR4 on the PS4 and he couldn't tell if those deformed pedestrians you come across were a bug or not.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

food court bailiff posted:

Dark Souls' setting worked well for me because the big interconnectedness of it and weird NPCs made it feel like a modern Zelda 1. Coming from Demon's Souls and its levels it was really cool.

It was specifically designed to be like Zelda actually. Miyazaki said he used to play western games like Zelda as a kid in English, and he didn't speak English, so had to piece together what was going on, and wanted to emulate that sensation in his game.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

!Klams posted:

It was specifically designed to be like Zelda actually. Miyazaki said he used to play western games like Zelda as a kid in English, and he didn't speak English, so had to piece together what was going on, and wanted to emulate that sensation in his game.

uh?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Dark Souls 2's slower and more debilitate combat is better than 3's faster pace gameplay.

I've liked none of the GTAs I've play (Vice City & IV), but really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 4.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Valko posted:

A friend of mine has played through SR4 on the PS4 and he couldn't tell if those deformed pedestrians you come across were a bug or not.

Well, yes and no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

!Klams posted:

Not exactly sure what you're talking about. Inspiration for DeS and DS came from books he read as a child at the library because his parents couldn't afford to buy books, much less videogames, (and also from playing ICO at the suggestion of a friend while he was at Oracle)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/01/bloodborne-creator-describes-influences-and-game-design-history

quote:

After some cajoling, Miyazaki reveals that he grew up “tremendously poor” in the city of Shizuoka, 100 miles south-west of Tokyo. His office-worker parents couldn’t afford books or manga, so he had to borrow whatever he could find in the library. That’s why he ended up with works beyond his reading capabilities. “I found so much joy in those stories,” he says, seated in his Tokyo studio, having granted the Guardian a rare interview. “It was a rich reading experience, even if I wasn’t always reading.”

quote:

As for what makes Souls games such a distinct experience, Miyazaki pointed to an unlikely inspiration: his poor reading skills as a child. Struggling with reading forced Miyazaki to fill in the blanks with his own imagination; wading through obscurity to, in a way, co-author the story.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 29, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not exactly sure what you're talking about. Inspiration for DeS and DS came from books he read as a child at the library because his parents couldn't afford to buy books, much less videogames, (and also from playing ICO at the suggestion of a friend while he was at Oracle)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/01/bloodborne-creator-describes-influences-and-game-design-history

both of his parents worked in an office and they couldn't afford books? what they hell is going on over there in japan?!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

both of his parents worked in an office and they couldn't afford books? what they hell is going on over there in japan?!

same thing as over here, they're just polite about it

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Games have become too big. Every AAA game now is some open world poo poo with 100s of hours of side quests and busy work that completely bog the game down

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel 1st and 3rd person have some distinct gameplay differences that lend themselves to different gameplay styles, though harder to elaborate on exactly what they are. (besides 3rd person being obviously better for anything with complex stealth and platforming)

If you are using ranged weapons you should be in first person. If you are using melee weapons you should be in 3rd person

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Are there any games where you can switch between first and third person (not racing games)?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Are there any games where you can switch between first and third person (not racing games)?

Fallout 3

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fridge corn posted:

GTAV minus the 360/PS3 versions

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they all do it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rutibex posted:

Fallout 3

Oh yeah, don't think I ever played in 3rd person in fallout

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fridge corn posted:

paladins

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

fridge corn posted:

Everquest

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didn't metal gear go first person shooting, 3rd person stealth?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Didn't metal gear go first person shooting, 3rd person stealth?

No, but it was an option to aim in first person.

All of Bethesda and R*s game let you switch between them now. Except Bethesda games suck in third person and Rockstar games suck in first person lol.

I'll save the next person to post 5 seconds, since you were gonna say this anyways "Bethesda and Rockstar games suck in any perspective! Haw haw!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

veni veni veni posted:

No, but it was an option to aim in first person.

All of Bethesda and R*s game let you switch between them now. Except Bethesda games suck in third person and Rockstar games suck in first person lol.

I'll save the next person to post 5 seconds, since you were gonna say this anyways "Bethesda and Rockstar games suck in any perspective! Haw haw!"

And the next person was right!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Red Dead 2 is loving fantastic

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

veni veni veni posted:

eh

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

but which one is the unpopular opinion???

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

veni veni veni posted:

whats your favorite part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

There are mods for all of the dark souls game that let you go 1st person and it's awesome