Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Welp, who else here is a reservist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Now, I'm no military man, but it seems to me that starting a war that requires getting your stuff through a massive amount of rain forest is asking for disaster

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
is there a good overview of Car Wash from a left perspective? links appreciated

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Negrostrike posted:

Welp, who else here is a reservist?

see you on the frontlines buddy

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
goondolences to everyone. might wanna consider starting a militia for the now inevitable hilarity

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

DYING FOR TRUMP'S OIL PROFITS

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm glad I got discharged for excess of personnel now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

I'm glad I got discharged for excess of personnel now.

Same but for flat foot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/smoreira31/status/1056901157153587201

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

is there a good overview of Car Wash from a left perspective? links appreciated

I don't think there's a single source that captures all of it. The Intercept's coverage of it is pretty extensive and generally good. For example, on Lula's conviction:

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/24/lula-brazil-corruption-conviction-car-wash/

Also, anything by Alfredo Saad-Filho, either as a guest on the Dig podcast, or for jacobin/etc. is pretty good.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

joepinetree posted:

Nah, PT will continue to be the largest party in Brazil. Unions and social movements won't simply change parties. PT still controls the largest block in congress (though will likely fall to 2nd after all the opportunists shift to PSL) and the highest number of governors in the country. Haddad went from being nobody to being a runner up who made it to the second round in a month on the basis of party loyalty alone. PT will also likely be the main opposition party to Bolsonaro. I am not saying that PT will win in 2022, but unless Bolsonaro's presidency is hugely successful on the economy and crime I am pretty certain that the runoff in 2022 will be Bolsonaro and whoever PT chooses.

is the Brazilian presidency as powerless/powerful (depending on ur view) as the US one in making domestic policy

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This phenomenon is called economic anxiety I believe.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"[...]The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn’t; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists, as you can see from the barons’ wars.”

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Typo posted:

is the Brazilian presidency as powerless/powerful (depending on ur view) as the US one in making domestic policy

I've written about it before shortly before the Dilma impeachment, so let me just quote myself:

joepinetree posted:

The presidency is much weaker than it used to be, but it is still pretty powerful. But the thing is that what happens is that there is a huge amount of party fractionalization in Brazil. No party holds more than 15% of congress. Since congress can essentially stop the presidency (through the mess of how provisional decrees work), what happens is that there is this weird presidential coalition system. Other than Dilma in the last few months, Brazil has never had a president with a nominal minority in congress (like Obama in the US does). What happens is that all presidents essentially give away some cabinet positions in exchange for support in congress. So the executive has a lot of power, but a lot of that power is given to allies in congress in the form of head of ministry positions.

This fractional system can create a great bit of instability, because parties have a built in incentive to be disloyal. The more disloyal, the more you can ask for in terms of positions for support. For most of the PT presidency, they were popular enough that anyone trying to be too disloyal could be kicked to the curb. But once the crisis began to hit, it created this death spiral. A member of Dilma's coalition would start to stray, asking for more positions in exchange of support, they'd get it, and the next one would do the same asking for even more.

That is why corruption is so ingrained in that level of Brazilian politics. Congress is elected through purely proportional elections. So you can get a minor celebrity to run for congress under their own tiny party, and some people will pay to be in the same coalition. So someone like Eneas or Tiririca ends up getting 4 or 5% of the vote for congress, which means they are elegible for 4 or 5% of the seats from a given state, which means that some times people with just a few hundred votes gets elected. So it creates several small parties with few seats. None of them care any bit about policy, and the whole thing operates based on straight clientelism. PT made several political mistakes, and while corruption continued to be rampant as always, PT at least gave investigators a great degree of independence. Now, to the extent that is possible, Temer is starting to curtail the investigations.

To expand on it a little more: the executive has a lot of power in terms of appointing people to executive positions, probably even more than in the US. But in terms of the judiciary, the executive has a lot less power in terms of appointing judges. So there's less partisan court packing. Most judges tend to be selected through public entrance exams that are highly competitive and frequently require months of full time study, making the Brazilian judiciary very independent of the executive, and also highly elitist.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

statim posted:

Urban centers (favelias), already. Otherwise hold the Maoist cheering for your fanfic. The state is nowhere near Venezuela/ Columbia in the 80s.
It's civilized so no true panic yet, its the institutional decay that is to my mind most toxic.

:thunk:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i've been a skeptic re: US-involved military action in Venezuela, and I still don't think it's anywhere near guaranteed, but Bolsonaro's election moved the needle

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

joepinetree posted:

I've written about it before shortly before the Dilma impeachment, so let me just quote myself:

To expand on it a little more: the executive has a lot of power in terms of appointing people to executive positions, probably even more than in the US. But in terms of the judiciary, the executive has a lot less power in terms of appointing judges. So there's less partisan court packing. Most judges tend to be selected through public entrance exams that are highly competitive and frequently require months of full time study, making the Brazilian judiciary very independent of the executive, and also highly elitist.

very informative thank you

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i've been a skeptic re: US-involved military action in Venezuela, and I still don't think it's anywhere near guaranteed, but Bolsonaro's election moved the needle

Don't you support US invasion anyway you ghoul

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
We know now that the US was actively pursuing an intervention on Venezuela with Colombia, a coup in conjunction with Brazil is very possible.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/folha/status/1056947527315005440

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1056895441965641728?s=19

not sure I entirely agree with this. Maybe bolsonaro himself but The wider movement he represent definitely seems tied to the wider far right/alt right rise across the world

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Phi230 posted:

Don't you support US invasion anyway you ghoul

nope

not even if Maduro-likers say it a lot

I more or less support the current* US sanctions because they're aimed specifically at inconveniencing Venezuelan leadership who are trying to steal money / sell the country to Goldman Sachs and friends, although I'm open to argument on the "short term loans only" clause

I don't think I have ever stated support for US invasion and I am agin it

I never finished thinking through how I would feel about a hypothetical non US involved coalition of South American countries doing something or other, but lol that ship done sailed, the US has its dick at least touching the potatoes

* - assuming there's not a new one I've missed, the last one I recall was the one hitting that weird oil backed cryptocurrency

related aside, I have no particular illusions that the Trump administration gives a poo poo about the Venezuelan people, but they've managed to hit on a strategy to pressure the leadership with less impact on the citizenry / with a surprisingly astute eye for the optics of screwing kleptocrats

Goatse James Bond has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Oct 29, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

How is the mood in Venezuela, Argentina, Uruguay and other countries Brazil has potential beef with?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/BolsonaroSP/status/1056917550427189249

"gramsciists"

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

He probably means grammaticists.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Meritocracy, says the guy who has built an entire political career on name recognition from is father alone.

Magrov posted:

He probably means grammaticists.

Don't if this is a joke that flew over my head, but the reference is to Gramsci and the "cultural marxists" that indoctrinate students.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Oct 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Meritocracy, says the guy who has built an entire political career on name recognition from is father alone.

Don't if this is a joke that flew over my head, but the reference is the Gramsci and the "cultural marxists" that indoctrinate students.

i learned another new, horrifying in context, thing today

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/PersonalEscrito/status/1056632511793717249

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Of course, this always happened. Those specific attacks on that village has been going on for days now.

It only will get worse all over the country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1056982741013684225

Netanyahu just congratulated him too. Birds of a feather.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

"This is a sign of meritocracy" says the large adult son

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Junta 2: Bolsonaro Boogaloo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A typical young bolsonarist

https://twitter.com/semfimlucrativo/status/1056974238177996800

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
who is Glenn Greenwald and why do the succ hate him

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Themage posted:

journalist who is critical of the American government especially intelligence agencies, has leaked lots of sensitive stuff

they hate him for poking holes in the myth that America is #1

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Themage posted:

he’s a dog enthusiast and gay family man. his uncompromising ethical arguments make a lot of democrats mad because he started his writing career with heavy criticism of the Bush administration’s surveillance and foreign policy, but continued this same criticism with Obama. because succdems have no consistency with how to apply criticism they saw this as a betrayal so a ton of media pundits have loathed him for a long time

nothing makes someone more insecure and mad than loudly pointing out their own hypocrisy and contradictions

recently he’s better known for covering Brazilian politics since he lives there with his husband. just like in America, he made a lot of enemies very quickly

greenwald also has a highly contentious style of argument and is not known for being conciliatory so this doesn’t endear him to the people obsessed with civility and discourse

also a lot of people are just homophobic, including Libs

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Most importantly, he shattered the image of Obama and of a lot of the democratic establishment as the good guys by releasing the Snowden files. Which, in turn, has led people to simply fabricate whole cloth a bunch of things about him. A few pages in the Russia thread will get you a bunch of easily disprovable lies about him. The reality is that he is much more in line with the international left, especially the Latin American left (as exemplified by his husband), which in turn believes that American imperialism is pretty close to the number 1 global problem.

If you are interested in some entertainment, about a year ago the Pod Save America guys launched Pod Saved the World, and in one episode Tommy Vietor had Ben Rhodes on and they essentially accused Greenwald of being a Russian agent, and then Greenwald asked and got invited into the show and essentially destroyed Vietor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Themage posted:

his fairly reasonable "America is bad" and "distrust anything that seems to support the American agenda" priors have in the fairly recent past led him to be vocally and imo excessively skeptical re: Assad use of chemical weapons, Russian fuckery in 2016, that sort of thing

I can't speak to why the pundit class hates him, but those are the standard criticisms around here (plus the Reality Winner fuckup, but imo that's overblown unless you happen to be someone thinking about how careful you should be with documents you're leaking to GG)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he does think russia did some fuckery. He just quite rightly sees the democrats using it as an excuse to learn no lessons as to why they lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You don't have to agree with everything the man says or did but asking someone on their opinion on Greenwald is a pretty good way to tell whether their politics is poo poo or not. It's like the question "Did you support the Iraq War?"