Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I liked playing through it, but I got the worst ending and didn't feel compelled to go back and try for anything better. It was the right amount of gameplay and the amount of backtracking/searching to do the rest of the quests was just a bit too much for me.

I should've done that, but I kept going for a while after that ending because I loved the world and wanted to see the rest of it. I got the bad ending after a little under 20 hours, sunk several more hours into it in order to get to the White Palace, then ran into some frustrating platforming and gave up. There's a lot of worldbuilding and story hints hidden behind hours of backtracking or trying to get gud, and while that design decision is fine if you're really into backtracking and getting gud, I was very much not into it after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

I was late to the party and as a result my favorite castlevania is PoR

cant get enough of that CHARLOTTE JONATHAN

Me, right here. I never had a playstation either sooo...

Also sonebody said Zero Mission is the best 2d metroid. I don't agree, but it very accessible, and very good. It might be the best metroud to jump into to start with.

Edit: its also where zero suit samus is from. I love the stealth segment

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1055506395884187648

Good to see they're implementing different control schemes for Civ 6 for the Switch.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

THE loving MOON posted:

Me, right here. I never had a playstation either sooo...

Also sonebody said Zero Mission is the best 2d metroid. I don't agree, but it very accessible, and very good. It might be the best metroud to jump into to start with.

That was also me, and I will not begrudge you your opinion if you like super metroid better.

If you're a metroid fusion fan, though, thems fighting words

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fusion's good too, it's just really, really heavy handed with all the GO HERE stuff. Its liberating when you finally get to leave that behind for a bit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hollow Knight is definitely a Get Gud Game and if you don't like that and get frustrated with any repetition, then you may have a bad time

I want to second how good Guacamelee is. It is as pretty as Hollow Knight (in a very different way) and has very satisfying combat and some killer optional platforming sections that are at least as hard as the White Palace

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

This was horrible. I got clipped several times in a row due to this and its just a mess. It doesnt help your main attack has pushback for you l, too.

one thing I would recommend is getting good at video games

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always thought Guacamelee was a side-scrolling beatemup. Is it more like HK/Dig 2? If so, that's $15 spent as soon as I get home.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The only real grievance I have against Fusion is how quickly and unexpectedly it locks you into the endgame sequence and how careful you have to be to not trigger it.

Super Metroid does that too but it's a little better at giving you the "Hey this is the home stretch and there's no items to find down here. Turn back now if you want to explore!" warning signs once you hit Tourian.

Huxley posted:

I always thought Guacamelee was a side-scrolling beatemup. Is it more like HK/Dig 2? If so, that's $15 spent as soon as I get home.

Here's my Guacamelee pitch for HK fans: imagine Hollow Knight... but Mexican and better

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 29, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

It's a Metroidvania with beat-em-up style combat. Both it and its sequel are a lot of fun. Go for it

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Huxley posted:

It is a Metroid Beatemup

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a metroidragon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Consider that a sale, then.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Looking at that tweet reminded me again that I'd really like to see Stellaris on Switch. That might be too much for it's processor to handle though. Maybe if you limit galaxy size or something, I dunno

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Guacamelee is really good but it's worth noting it's mostly entirely linear and focused on the beat-em-up and precision platforming elements. So don't expect something exploration heavy at all because it doesn't have almost any of that.

Guac 2 is more of the same as the first game but with a lot more platforming, a fleshed out Chicken form, and unfortunately pretty bad boss fights.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's what I want really, a Mario game with the exact movement and combat mechanics of either Mario World or New Super Mario Bros, but with one giant world Metroid style.

You would unlock different powerups though and could store one and go to rooms to select your current load out like a save room.

Also the same thing but for classic Mega Man.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What I want is Hollow Knight 2 biiiiiitch

What's that? Shadow Complex 2? Oh shiiiiiit

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Guacamelee is really good but it's worth noting it's mostly entirely linear and focused on the beat-em-up and precision platforming elements. So don't expect something exploration heavy at all because it doesn't have almost any of that.

Guac 2 is more of the same as the first game but with a lot more platforming, a fleshed out Chicken form, and unfortunately pretty bad boss fights.

Also a lovely sense of humor, it just tries too hard. It feels very "Reddit"

I enjoyed Guac 1 but it was a very middle of the road game for me, mostly due to the focus on brawling and samey forgettable and abstract (but admittedly very pretty) environments. Ill give 2 a shot, when it's out though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guac 2 has a room that makes fun of people who complained about the first game's background memes. :twisted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ori and the blind forest is on my list. I'm waiting for it to go on sale though. Even if you don't like Rondo of Blood, it has the best Bloody Tears track imo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ignite Memories posted:

I was late to the party and as a result my favorite castlevania is PoR

cant get enough of that CHARLOTTE JONATHAN

Same, except Dawn of Sorrow. It remains the only Castlevania I've finished. I've played PoR and I like it, but I got stuck on one boss. Legion, I think its name was.

Ignite Memories posted:

That was also me, and I will not begrudge you your opinion if you like super metroid better.

If you're a metroid fusion fan, though, thems fighting words

Both Zero Mission and Fusion are better than Super Metroid. Fite me. :colbert:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Legion is a motherfucker and IIRC he's something of a series regular.

Silver Falcon posted:

Both Zero Mission and Fusion are better than Super Metroid. Fite me. :colbert:

This is acceptable as long as you don't think fusion is better than ZM.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Guac 2 has a room that makes fun of people who complained about the first game's background memes. :twisted:

Yep, basically "look at us being not funny some more! You love it!"

It's not just the memes though, the writing is just lame. I guess drinkbox usually sticks with a lighthearted satirical tone, I just like my satire to be a little bit funny

That said, I'm still picking up Guac 2 on launch because I didnt hate the first one and can never get enough of platformers, especially when they're as polished as Guac 1 was

E: Shame to hear about shittier boss fights though, that's the one part of Guac 1 that I remember really enjoying

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 29, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Alan_Shore posted:

I think Team Cherry is on to their next game as soon as they finished the Hornet DLC

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dawn of Sorrow was annoying because it released early in the DS's lifespan so it went all in with the touch controls. Beat a boss? Better have your stylus handy so you can trace the pentagram or whatever. Still a really good despite that.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Jesus I'd die. Orson Scott Card is a shithead but boy howdy can he make a vidya game :downs:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Dawn of Sorrow was annoying because it released early in the DS's lifespan so it went all in with the touch controls. Beat a boss? Better have your stylus handy so you can trace the pentagram or whatever. Still a really good despite that.

It didn't go "all in" but yeah it was annoying and clearly tacked on. Tis but a blemish on a nearly perfect game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ignite Memories posted:

Legion is a motherfucker and IIRC he's something of a series regular.

This is acceptable as long as you don't think fusion is better than ZM.

Is he now? I've only played the two games. I knew Death was a regular boss. Guess I have that to look forward to if I play more Castlevanias..

And yes I agree ZM is better than Fusion. I love me some Shinespark puzzles, and ZM took Fusion's Shinespark puzzles and went "OK so you like Shinespark puzzles? Have we got some motherfucking Shinespark puzzles for you, son!" I love that poo poo. I 100% both games. I didn't bother getting 100% in Super Metroid, but I still liked the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

KingSlime posted:

It's not just the memes though, the writing is just lame. I guess drinkbox usually sticks with a lighthearted satirical tone, I just like my satire to be a little bit funny

That said, I'm still picking up Guac 2 on launch because I didnt hate the first one and can never get enough of platformers, especially when they're as polished as Guac 1 was

E: Shame to hear about shittier boss lights though, that's the one part of Guac 1 that I remember really enjoying

I would say that Guac 2 has a fair number more jokes I actually laughed at than the first game. But on the other hand it's also got a lot higher volume of lame jokes, and a lot more blatant "directly reference this old NES/Arcade beat-em-up" segments that go on too long, so ... it's kind of a wash.

To be honest I would probably recommend waiting to see if they do a "Super Turbo" version of Guac 2 that does something with the boss fights because they're really just disappointing, and there's very few of them to go with the very lengthy platforming segments. The platforming and movement stuff is very good in general though, and the new chicken abilities are great.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 29, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

That room cracked me up, it was very good

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/waluigi_fans_cause_more_drama_at_pax_aus_with_wahtaboutme_super_smash_bros_protest

Not sure if I should chuckle about the Waluigi thing, or cringe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Never really played or looked into TWEWY but I gather it was popular. Almost bought it on a whim last night but then I remembered my probably-permanently-neglected copy of DQ11 with about 5 hours in it

Wish twewy had a demo :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If "Timespinner" makes it to Switch, that'll be a good one to recommend here. It feels disingenuous to call it a Metroidvania because it's really just pretty much a Castlevania, no Metroidness to it at all except that which it gets indirectly from Symphony of the Night. It's also fairly compact and doesn't waste your time. Games these days tend to be too big.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just played through Mario Galaxy for the first time. That game is very good and I hope Nintendo puts out a Switch port at some point. It's already available in China on the Nvidia shield, so the work has already been done. I should mention that I played it on Dolphin at 1440p and 4x super sampling with an Xbox controller, which I believe enhanced my enjoyment. The game still looks great with an up-res, and being able to bind the "Shake" command to a button is really nice. I would have found the spin incredibly annoying to do if I had to shake a controller around every time I wanted to do it. I haven't done most of the purple coin challenges yet but I've done everything else.

It did put into perspective why I felt Mario Odyssey was a bit of a chore to play. I really enjoyed the bespoke goals of Galaxy, and I didn't feel the need to obsessively explore every nook and cranny like I did in Odyssey. The challenges felt more tightly designed. Aside from a handful of throw-away objectives (gently caress those timed bomb challenges--that poo poo reminded of Mario Sunshine in the worst way), every star felt meaningful to get. I've heard Galaxy 2 is even better and it builds on the first game's challenge curve neatly, so I'm excited to play through that next.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I would happily pay full price for a lazy Mario galaxy 1 and 2 port

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

That's a seriously weird definition of "all in". I've seen so many people hate on Dawn of Sorrow because of the touchscreen thing but it's such an insignificantly small thing and completely trivial to do. Woe is me I have to draw a line on the touch screen, the entire rest of the game is ruined!

Considering how many DS games literally went all in on the touchscreen and were thinly veiled gimmick games or completely awful to control because they were touchscreen-only, I'd say we got lucky.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Port all the Mario games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm just glad PoR and OoE chose to get rid of it entirely. Good for you, Iga!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Guac and its sequel are one of those games that are great when you're playing them and the platforming is superb, but then you're done and they leave no lasting impression.

Steamworld Dig 2 is probably the next best metroid-ish game on Switch. It's easy-going enough that just booting it up makes me feel like I've been wrapped in a warm blanket.

If you're masochistic and want a different style, though, try La-Mulana and its sequel some time. It has the craziest puzzles you will ever encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

KingSlime posted:

I would happily pay full price for a lazy Mario galaxy 1 and 2 port

A Metroid prime trilogy port would be nice, too (hopefully with the option to play without motion controls). I have no idea how easily the Switch can emulate some of the more demanding GC and Wii titles at full speed, though. Until recently, Dolphin struggled a lot with certain shader-heavy games because the GPU works significantly differently than modern graphics cards and games would exhibit nasty stutter when shaders compiled on the fly. They came up with a solution, "Ubershaders," but it requires a relatively beefy graphics card to get good results.