Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i just love how the worker caste are basically forgotten about and ignored. a tripod truly is the least stable form of government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

i just love how the worker caste are basically forgotten about and ignored. a tripod truly is the least stable form of government

I gottta wonder if it’s intentional given Delenn’s whole speech at the end of the series about them being the forgotten caste and giving them a majority in the Grey Council

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I gottta wonder if it’s intentional given Delenn’s whole speech at the end of the series about them being the forgotten caste and giving them a majority in the Grey Council

I don't think so. I think it's more that the distinction in Minbari society so often lies between the Religious and Warrior castes and they tend to be opposed in most things. Because of this, it doesn't ever leave the Worker caste anywhere to fit. We don't ever meet a Minbari from the Workers, as far as I'm aware. There is that aspect of give the power to the people who actually run society and so on but I feel it's undermined by the fact that the Workers aren't so much invisible as just not in the text. It also doesn't help that Minbari society is unclear and, I think, sometimes contradictory.

For example, the previous stuff about headbones. Religious caste wear their bones smooth, Warrior caste go spikey and stuff... and Workers... go between the two extremes, maybe? :shrug:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Workers don't have headbones cause they use it to build their spaceships, duh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hope and vaseline posted:

Workers don't have headbones cause they use it to build their spaceships, duh

Who do you think runs McBari's?

I love that drat joke, right down to "Home of the Golden Headbones" :allears:.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't think so. I think it's more that the distinction in Minbari society so often lies between the Religious and Warrior castes and they tend to be opposed in most things. Because of this, it doesn't ever leave the Worker caste anywhere to fit. We don't ever meet a Minbari from the Workers, as far as I'm aware. There is that aspect of give the power to the people who actually run society and so on but I feel it's undermined by the fact that the Workers aren't so much invisible as just not in the text. It also doesn't help that Minbari society is unclear and, I think, sometimes contradictory.

For example, the previous stuff about headbones. Religious caste wear their bones smooth, Warrior caste go spikey and stuff... and Workers... go between the two extremes, maybe? :shrug:

I think they meant intentional on JMS' part as a worldbuilding/plotting measure, not an in-universe thing.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'd always thought it was clan related. Head bones are familial, and while some families have a predilection towards a caste, it's not dispositive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I think that ends up being the point, and almost an analogue to the Vorlon/Shadow conflict, that ideological groups are creating conflict while piggybacking on a status quo maintained by others that they, to an extent, disdain.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

McSpanky posted:

I think they meant intentional on JMS' part as a worldbuilding/plotting measure, not an in-universe thing.

Yarp.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clearly the Worker cast trim their headbones tastefully on the upper ridge to show they can get along with the squares but let the bottom grow wild like a Styracosaurus spike frill cuz nobody cages the beast within. Piety up top, party down the back :q:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We probably see worker caste all the time in minor capacities. It's just that the religious and warrior castes are the ones who do dramatic things.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I wish we had gotten an episode like A View from the Gallery but with two worker caste characters from Brook'lyn

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
S1E20, Babylon Squared - Big stuff here, pointing at time loops and future wars. Lots of lore, I want to drink it all down. Also lots of internal Minbari stuff with the Gray Council. I don’t really buy (from an acting perspective) Delenn’s insistence on staying at the station. Her words feel kind of hollow, but that is probably because we just haven’t seen a lot of her other than being mysterious and aloof the entire season. Contrast with the scene where Garibaldi steals Ivanova’s breakfast at the beginning of the episode; those are some characters that have had plenty of time to get more fleshed out.

S1E21, The Quality of Mercy - The faith healing plotline is another one that felt like it could have come from Star Trek, but the way it intersected with the convicted murderer plot was grimmer than Trek would ever be. Also bleak: the fact that brain wiping prisoners and using them for manual labor is apparently just a thing people do in this universe. (And that it is somehow seen as a less severe sentence than execution.) The Londo/Lennier scenes were fun. Not sure how I feel about Londo’s tentacle.

I miss G’Kar. Feels like it’s been ages since he was on. But the next episode is the season finale so I am assuming he’s got to show up. (Same goes for Kosh,except that he was never really present enough for me to notice his absence.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

wizzardstaff posted:

Not sure how I feel about Londo’s tentacle.
:can:

edit: :krakken:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Also bleak: the fact that brain wiping prisoners and using them for manual labor is apparently just a thing people do in this universe. (And that it is somehow seen as a less severe sentence than execution.)

It is. Death of personality can at least be reversed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

It's also a chance at a new life very far away from the bad things they did pre-wipe. Which is, you know, better than being dead.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jedit posted:

That’s not the impression I took away from the episode but I’ll take your word for it if it’s a plot point that comes up later or something.

I went back and rewatched the scene where he is sentenced. The judge says, “The personality of Karl Edward Mueller will be totally and completely erased. You will then be programmed with a new set of memories. For the rest of your natural life, you will serve the community honorably by your actions.”

That doesn’t sound like a sentence with a chance of rehabilitation to me. It sounds like a souped up lobotomy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I’m pretty sure they can’t normally be reversed.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Zero posted:

I’m pretty sure they can’t normally be reversed.

It seems like this is one of those 'yes and no' things. A deal that Earthgov takes as a point of fact that it's complete and total, but has wiggle room that isn't entirely clear. We didn't really get a chance to see how things played out with Brother Edward once his memories were unlocked, which may have been for the better. It's possible that the memories could have unspooled to the point that the overwriting personality got dimmer and dimmer, or it could've just left the guy tortured with memories from a life that he doesn't remember leading. There's no clear answer as to how that would've panned out, and the topic was never really revisited in enough detail to get an accurate picture.

'Can't normally be reversed' would probably be better assumed as 'we haven't really tried that hard to reverse it, because why on earth would you bother?'

...You know, I don't actually remember anymore what was up with the guy in the Lassie-mom episode. It's just occurred to me that it's been a long drat time since I've seen it.

edit: wording, also realizing that there are gaps in my memory that make speculating about it a little silly.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah. I'm pretty sure obliterating your personality and then creating a walking zombie to keep post-Capitalism on its legs is worse than just killing the dude.

Not only is the end-result the same for the intended victim, but the state is now also putting the perpetrator's family and friends through the additional trauma of knowing their loved one is :airquote: alive :airquote: somewhere, but as good as dead and being used a slave labor. Then you also get people from the ~actual~ victim's family out for vigilante killings (as seen in the ep).

Overall, it is a pretty cruel and terrible system and definitely not preferable to simple execution.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Yep, it's fascist as hell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Burning_Monk posted:

Yep, it's fascist as hell.

EarthGov.txt

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ConfusedUs posted:

EarthGov.txt

We're just one happy planet! :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRTbgYXAmo

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Old Boot posted:

It seems like this is one of those 'yes and no' things. A deal that Earthgov takes as a point of fact that it's complete and total, but has wiggle room that isn't entirely clear. We didn't really get a chance to see how things played out with Brother Edward once his memories were unlocked, which may have been for the better. It's possible that the memories could have unspooled to the point that the overwriting personality got dimmer and dimmer, or it could've just left the guy tortured with memories from a life that he doesn't remember leading. There's no clear answer as to how that would've panned out, and the topic was never really revisited in enough detail to get an accurate picture.

'Can't normally be reversed' would probably be better assumed as 'we haven't really tried that hard to reverse it, because why on earth would you bother?'

...You know, I don't actually remember anymore what was up with the guy in the Lassie-mom episode. It's just occurred to me that it's been a long drat time since I've seen it.

edit: wording, also realizing that there are gaps in my memory that make speculating about it a little silly.

I take it to be kind of like a 1 pass disk wipe. Sure it’s pretty permanent in 99.99% of cases but sometimes the process can be hosed up (like brother Edward ) and perhaps much like the NSA might theoretically be able to do magnetic resonance on a drive, Psicorp might have ways to try to get the original personality back but it would be such a traumatic and horrible process that a person would never be able to revert back properly.

Just guesswork on my part though.

I do like the whole “this is humane” angle that really isn’t when you stop and think about it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The alternative is electric bleachers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Like wizardstaff, I just started the series and might enjoy posting my reactions to the season or to specific episodes.

I wasn’t planning on starting a new series, but I caught part of a few first-season episodes on Comet and found something about them really charming. 90s cheese is among my favorites, but I find myself really enjoying how full each episode is of character and setting details that I’m guessing will become important. For now though, it just feels like a really rich 90s syndication gem that’s equal parts sci-fi and workplace drama.

The opening narration especially makes me smile. It sounds like it comes right out of a pitch document and seems really determined to communicate the sensibility of the series, right down to the choices of vocabulary and awkward “the name of the place is Babylon 5!”

I could easily imagine a rough version of that recorded by JMS with scenes cut in from other series or movies that he used to sell people on the series back before it got picked up. I am so charmed by its earnestness and desire to make you understand what you’re about to watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

B5 is essentially framed as a docudrama of future historical events. The grand shape of things is always given in the past tense, while the specifics of time and descriptions of place are in the present tense.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

B5 is essentially framed as a docudrama of future historical events. The grand shape of things is always given in the past tense, while the specifics of time and descriptions of place are in the present tense.

Brought to you by Interplanetary Expeditions, the Anla'shok Historical Fund, and Viewers Like You

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

Brought to you by Interplanetary Expeditions, the Anla'shok Historical Fund, and Viewers Like You

We pledge for the One, we man phone banks for the One.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

We pledge for the One, we man phone banks for the One.

We mail you this tote bag for the One!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You guys seem to be doing spoilers for some reason but I'm doing a rewatch and its weird how nobody seems at all concerned about the Drakh shadow-shoulder mind control parasites. They find one on a mars resistance person and just kind of poke it for a little while, shrug it off and never mention it again. Sheridan sees that Londo is stuck with one when he flashes to the future, but doesn't ask future Londo about it and never mentions it to anyone.

Seems like a few problems might have been solved if someone went "Hey, this thing? loving weird and bad and you should look out for it."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Not really?

In the first case, they have no idea what it is or where it came from. In the second, Sheridan presumably thinks he averted that future up until the moment he sees Centauri Prime in ruins, and then it's too late. Sheridan associated the future he saw in War Without End with a Shadow victory, after all.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Marcus announces to the Resistance leaders that the shoulder parasite means the remaining allies of the Shadows were involved somehow. They knew exactly where it came from and what it could do. So they just never ever talk about the invisible parasite than can infiltrate anywhere and control anyone. They especially don't mention it to the person that has seen it before, their commanding officer, who also never mentioned it to them.

Also if Sheridan thinks that future was with a Shadow victory then he would know the shoulder parasite was associated with the shadows, which would be great corroborating information if anyone ever cared to mention the one that almost foiled the re-taking of Earth. This would also have been nice information to have when Centauri Prime starts acting inexplicably hostile and manipulative, attacking people and sewing chaos exactly like when the Shadows were influencing people.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 30, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't remember that first bit, and a cursory check isn't corroborating it (the thing controlling Captain Jack is summed up as a mind-controlling parasite). As far as I know, the incident is never mentioned again beyond a brief dissection by Franklin in the same episode.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You guys seem to be doing spoilers for some reason

There's two or three people watching for the first time and sharing their thoughts with the thread. We're all hovering over them, whispering to each other behind our hands.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You guys seem to be doing spoilers for some reason

Didn't you hear? it's 1995 again and everything's great. i sure hope the future is good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

Some kind of legend, of galactic heroes?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Some kind of legend, of galactic heroes?

I take it back, death of personality is irreversible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It might be a good idea to have a few descriptive words in the clear before a 100% spoiler post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vavrek posted:

There's two or three people watching for the first time and sharing their thoughts with the thread. We're all hovering over them, whispering to each other behind our hands.

Yeah please use tags for now since we just had multiple posters say they're watching for the first time. Once it's back to nothing but us geriatric nerds we can be looser.