Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagacity posted:

I do have to say that because kotlin is really easy to interop with java (even within the same project) it's quite a low barrier to entry
entry into what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i haven't followed this thread for the last 1500 posts so someone give me a summary of what's good/bad/hipster in the world of pl today

is rust still a thing?
No, rust is dead. Netcraft confirms it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

gently caress, that's a phrase i havent heard in a long time

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the c greybeards i know dislike rust because it has too much stuff in it, "like c++"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

TheFluff posted:

the c greybeards i know dislike rust because it has too much stuff in it, "like c++"

good enough for me. back to the c mines it is

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
christ i forgot how much i LOVE void pointers. you can do anything with those things!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wrong thread

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ah yes, i suppose i should also check on the terrible programmers and the infosec crew

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Gazpacho posted:

entry into what
into using it

I mean, that's how they're selling it: "just use it to replace your java bean monstrosities with a cute little kotlin data class"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ah yes, i suppose i should also check on the terrible programmers and the infosec crew

nah. I was shitposting on linux and did it in the wrong thread by mistake.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that's alright. it's something you can do in any thread as long as you do it very silently

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

nah. I was shitposting on linux and did it in the wrong thread by mistake.
Didn't you just say "ubuntu still exists, right" or something like that? The bar for what counts as shitposting must be low these days.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NihilCredo posted:

the same complaint pops up regularly when talking about f# or kotlin. almost everybody who tries them quickly agrees that they're a step up from c# and java, but c# and java are not so painful that people will rush en masse to make the switch, so people and companies keep pouring resources into supporting and improving c# and java instead

on the other side you have typescript and rust which have been gaining a lot of steam because javascript and c are actually painful in a lot of ways

if you already strictly use immutable data types then c# has enough of a pain point that switching part of a solution to f# is actually useful enough that even non-f# devs will embrace it, it's kinda cool

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

kotlin is nicer than java for things like android development and apis, especially with coroutines stabilizing in 1.3. the only reason i can think of for not using it is being afraid of learning new things

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the community got a lot better in the 2000s, in every way. irc channels, friendlier forums, better open source implementations, better "trial versions" from commercial lisp vendors

god help a new person attempting to wade into the nightmare of 1990s lisp. usenet was erik naggum's natural habitat. and cmucl barely worked, on any platform. and you can't get help without risking a thorough naggum-ing.

it is worth noting i am an old now and i remember 90s lisp users

today it's more scalaz users who are representative of the user i am talking about

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hi the thing about worse is better is that adoption isn't driven by any technical considerations ever*

* edit for nerds:

i mean that by and large it plays a very small almost trivial part

tef fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 29, 2018

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
worse is better opines an imaginary meritocracy, wherein everyone uses _the right tool for the job_, and then struggles to explain that lisp is the best tool but also no-one uses it by comparison

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
has anything non trivial and worthwhile ever been written in lisp? i know i can't think of anything off the top of my head, and it's not like something of that vintage hasn't had time to bear fruits. fortran i can at least say has provided plenty of numerical routines that'll be used for millennia to come

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

has anything non trivial and worthwhile ever been written in lisp? i know i can't think of anything off the top of my head, and it's not like something of that vintage hasn't had time to bear fruits. fortran i can at least say has provided plenty of numerical routines that'll be used for millennia to come

autocad, some spaceship stuff, emacs, hacker news, the original reddit, large bits of the pre-obidos main amazon server software (not obidos, lol), and goog hired enough gofai peeps that they ended up writing lisp poo poo. you will note that the actually famous applications got rewritten

every lang which is old enough and peeps still give a poo poo has peeps who've written poo poo in it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 29, 2018

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bob dobbs is dead posted:

goog hired enough gofai peeps that they ended up writing lisp poo poo

also they bought ita which, as an mit-related startup, was a scheme shop originally

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

hi the thing about worse is better is that adoption isn't driven by any technical considerations ever*

* edit for nerds:

i mean that by and large it plays a very small almost trivial part

well, it is though. just that people make their decision when they need to make a decision, not when the perfectionist nerds have finally decided that they've found the perfect way to TDD the feature and release it two years too late. even if the "better" product ends up actually better (and I think that's a big if) it was worse when it mattered--a clean, maintainable, almost bug-free piece of software that doesn't do what you need right now is worthless

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

christ i forgot how much i LOVE void pointers. you can do anything with those things!

it’s admittedly very trivial and silly of me but whenever I see people casting a void pointer I think "dude half the fun here is you don’t have to cast it!"

(something something c vs c++ whatever)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pokeyman posted:

it’s admittedly very trivial and silly of me but whenever I see people casting a void pointer I think "dude half the fun here is you don’t have to cast it!"

(something something c vs c++ whatever)

scandalous flouting of type modesty itt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

i haven't followed this thread for the last 1500 posts so someone give me a summary of what's good/bad/hipster in the world of pl today

is rust still a thing?

rust still has a loud fan club yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NihilCredo posted:

the same complaint pops up regularly when talking about f# or kotlin. almost everybody who tries them quickly agrees that they're a step up from c# and java, but c# and java are not so painful that people will rush en masse to make the switch, so people and companies keep pouring resources into supporting and improving c# and java instead

holy lol at bundling c# into the same category as java

there are no f# users to speak of, because c# and the clr have no users outside of microsoft shops marked by incompetence and poor decision-making. it has nothing to do with the goodness or badness of f#, because no business that chose microsoft as a platform can ever make a good decision -- plainly they hosed up to the tune of millions of dollars on day one

sure kotlin and scala are kinda weird and niche but at least they interop with java, a platform in use by firms that are not incompetent-by-default

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

boy howdy are you gonna love golang

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
thanks, shaggar

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I wonder what would happen if shaggar and nbsd walked into the same room.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

I wonder what would happen if shaggar and nbsd walked into the same room.

they would both poo poo on apple?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

rust still has a loud fan club yes

hello

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

holy lol at bundling c# into the same category as java

there are no f# users to speak of, because c# and the clr have no users outside of microsoft shops marked by incompetence and poor decision-making. it has nothing to do with the goodness or badness of f#, because no business that chose microsoft as a platform can ever make a good decision -- plainly they hosed up to the tune of millions of dollars on day one

sure kotlin and scala are kinda weird and niche but at least they interop with java, a platform in use by firms that are not incompetent-by-default

this is a weird post to me because some of the best dev shops ive seen locally are at least partially microsoft, and the worst are java. also lumping kotlin with scala feels like you havent left the comfort zone of java long enough to appreciate kotlin and loathe sbt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is a better language than java at this point and has the best web frameworks. the only thing java has is maven which is great, but not enough to make java worth using in 2018.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hacker news, the original reddit

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

yeah, it's not incredible

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
while hn and reddit are not as technically notable as ITA/QPX, it's not bad to include a web property or 3 for breadth

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

the semi-procedural musical auto-accompaniment engines in yamaha keyboards are based on a system modelled in lisp

of course, it's was implemented as primitive C & macros for micro-itron with countless nested stack allocated interim string buffers, ready to overflow in the presence of one too many 32nd note in a bar 'cos suffering makes the music sweeter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lot of scope to have a biased idea of what software exists, and lisp is hampered by several biases most of us will have (i.e. being popular in a mostly distant past, mostly on any machine *except* a home microcomputer, and relatively seldom as a software package that is productized enough to be on a shelf or have a straightforward webpage with licensing information).

it is probably instructive to ask "was there every anything non-trivial and worthwhile written in pl/i?", where the answer is obviously "yes", otherwise ibm would not have made several revisions of the language and compiler this decade (most recent release 5rev2 in July), and eclipse can be whipped into giving some editor support for it. this is in spite of it never being an academia darling, the target of massive hype (as lisp was in the 80s ai revolution), or being the *least* bit cool even to the nerdiest pl nerd. still, i can't name a single thing i *know* was written in it.

still, for the weird anachronistic actual examples the standards are: mirai (the 3d one), maxima, ita software (dominant air booking software), the ps1/ps2 era naughty dog stuff (another pretty primitive macro-heavy runtime, but controlled and live-modifiable from allegro on a pc), etc. clojure is of course also about if you want a job doing lispish things

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

emacs lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't the software behind the world's leading forum for temporarily embarrassed computer toucher millionaires also written in lisp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

still, i can't name a single thing i *know* was written in it.

Multics :sun: