Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EC posted:

I've been looking at RTings and Amazon all morning, and it looks like my choice is a LG OLED that's pretty pricey, or a LCD that's not a huge upgrade over my existing LG 55" panel besides 4k/HDR. Considering I usually only buy a new TV every 5-7 years, I'm thinking of trying my best to justify the price of the OLED.

Just gotta convince the wife...

Are there any major differences between the LG C8 and the B8 besides the newer processor in the C8? Because it's like $200 more just for that.
If there's nothing wrong with your current model OLEDs are going to keep getting cheaper over time. Maybe just wait 6 more months? by then the 2018 models should be getting cleared out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Plus there was that rumor about a new factory/process in 6 months

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

qirex posted:

If there's nothing wrong with your current model OLEDs are going to keep getting cheaper over time. Maybe just wait 6 more months? by then the 2018 models should be getting cleared out.

I didn't make that clear enough, sorry. I have a 7 year old LG LCD right now.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

EC posted:

Are there any major differences between the LG C8 and the B8 besides the newer processor in the C8? Because it's like $200 more just for that.

I think the only other difference is the stand, the panel/screen is exactly the same.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

TCL 55R615 (55R617) is on sale at Best Buy for $550.. do I finally pull the trigger? Reading these complaints online about dirty screens and banding got me shook.

Judging by this that's about as low as it's expected to get on Black Friday with the added bonus of not having to fight the consumer hordes

Alternately, i can expand the budget a bit and hope for an X900F on Black Friday around 1000-1100

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 27, 2018

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Rastor posted:

Plus there was that rumor about a new factory/process in 6 months

Any more info?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

Any more info?

They're building... something...

https://www.oled-info.com/dscc-lgd-will-start-mass-producing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/LG-Display-to-increase-OLED-TV-panel-production-by-40

https://www.whathifi.com/news/lg-8k-oled-tvs-could-launch-in-june-2019

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm also about to pull the trigger on LG 55C8. Can't wait for a new tv

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Vizio P65-F1 is on sale at Best Buy for 1099. Think I'm going to make the jump.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hughmoris posted:

The Vizio P65-F1 is on sale at Best Buy for 1099. Think I'm going to make the jump.

Wanna save 170 bux? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I was looking at the TCL but I personally know 2 people that have been burned by their newer 55" model due to quality control issues. Anecdotal I know. The Vizio was scored favorably by Rtings so I figured I'd give that a go.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Just went to BB tonight to look at these in person. It seemed as though there were jaggies around text on the TCL 6 series 55", enough to turn me off of it. The X900F was hot poo poo though, hoping I can pick one up for 1k on Black Friday and if not the Vizio P55-F1 was a nice runner-up. Despite it's praise as the hot budget tv this year, the TCL really does look like a budget tv.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Gray Matter posted:

Just went to BB tonight to look at these in person. It seemed as though there were jaggies around text on the TCL 6 series 55", enough to turn me off of it. The X900F was hot poo poo though, hoping I can pick one up for 1k on Black Friday and if not the Vizio P55-F1 was a nice runner-up. Despite it's praise as the hot budget tv this year, the TCL really does look like a budget tv.

Never got or noticed jaggies on my 55 incher, it really doesn't look like a budget TV (unless you're looking at an all grey screen :( ). Have you seen even the most spergy rtings reviews of the TCL? Haven't seen what you mentioned. In only the most spergy contexts you can notice slight whiteish edges around white text on a black background due to the local dimming zones, but I don't think the other brands have it much better with that issue.

Still when I can afford it I'd like to upgrade to a real mainstream flagship 65", maybe an OLED if I really want to light my income on fire. As I've said before the most painful thing with a TV is once you pull that trigger to spend the cash, the cash is gone, whereas other electronics like a laptop retains resale value.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 27, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gray Matter posted:

I would not trust BB in person to be accurate to be honest. I mean there's a reason it's gotten a lot of praise. It looks pretty drat good. You most likely just had a lovely BB set up.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The TCL is cheaper but the Visio P series is a better TV, according to Rtings.com anyway. It's not like you'd be spending more and getting a worse TV, which is possible to do when comparing to the TCL 6 series.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Went to a different BB location today for another look. The TCL was the only model that was powered off out of dozens of displays on the wall - hmmmmmmmm. After I turned it on it had a much better display demo vid running than the one at the other store. It appeared to be the manufacturer-supplied one, and I didn't notice any of the offputting issues from the demo I saw last night. At the points where the video was almost entirely white, I couldn't see any hint of banding or text artifacting. It actually looked really friggin good.

Told them I was ready to purchase and they steered me hard away from it, really trying to push the Sony X900F on me. It's unmistakably a nicer display but it's 236% the price of the TCL and defintely not 236% of the image quality. Thought about it for a brief while and ended up just leaving. Gonna go ahead and grab that TCL off the website instead. Thanks for sense checking me, goons.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That’s so weird, they’re acting like they’re on commission (TCL powered off, arguing with you about not buying it,) but they’re not supposed to be on commission.

I would have bought it in-store, it’s a bit risky ordering a TV in the mail. I hope it works out for you!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve had 3 screens delivered in 2 years and somehow won the ‘not smashed’ lottery each time. 2 were budget screens people were having to buy 3 of just to get a non-DOA one.

Seeing a TV in a big box store in the flesh is useful for checking build quality, playing with the menus and stuff I guess but that’s about it. Can’t even really judge the size as it’s so out of context to where you watch.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

It's being delivered from a BB store 5 miles down the road as I understand it, not shipped through UPS or anything. I just couldn't fit it in my car or I'd have bought at the store.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

What's the recommended TV for HDR gaming / FPS' right now? I've read rtings but wanted feedback from this thread.

900F seems to be the choice here for a TV all around, and I'm trying to understand if the input lag on the Samsung TVs is really that much better.

Looking for a 55" to pair with a PS4 Pro.

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 28, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pwn posted:

That’s so weird, they’re acting like they’re on commission (TCL powered off, arguing with you about not buying it,) but they’re not supposed to be on commission.

There might be an incentive for selling their TVs so while they’re not on commission they might get a $50 “spiff” for selling a Sony. Cell phone stores work the same way.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sphyre posted:

As MagusDraco says the viewing angle thing is incredibly overblown. You might be better off going with an IPS if the TV is for a bar and it's only used for sports. In every other case you're better off with a VA panel (and sitting in front of your drat TV).

This is interesting because the rtings viewing angle difference between the Vizio PQ65 and the LG OLED's is one of the main things pushing me towards OLED. The way the room is setup has the worst seat maybe 45 degrees offset to the side of the screen. The PQ65 is going to be $1400 or so on black friday though, the OLED's might come down a bit too but it's still going to be a $500-1000 difference between the two. I bought a Panasonic G25 plasma in 2010 that is still soldiering on, it was a pretty legit TV at the time and I never regretted spending the extra money. Not sure if that's still the mentality to have though...

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 29, 2018

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

sanchez posted:

This is interesting because the rtings viewing angle difference between the Vizio PQ65 and the LG OLED's is one of the main things pushing me towards OLED. The way the room is setup has the worst seat maybe 45 degrees offset to the side of the screen. The PQ65 is going to be $1400 or so on black friday though, the OLED's might come down a bit too but it's still going to be a $500-1000 difference between the two. I bought a Panasonic G25 plasma in 2010 that is still soldiering on, it was a pretty legit TV at the time and I never regretted spending the extra money. Not sure if that's still the mentality to have though...

My TCL has quite bad viewing angles, and it's never been an issue. We're not regularly throwing events with 15 people strewn across all angles of couches around the room though, it's usually just me or my SO and I. So personally I'd take the $500-1000 savings vs. better viewing angles. How much was that Panasonic back in the day? My parents also have a Panasonic plasma from the same timeframe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So I want to get last year's Sony X850 or X900 model because I wanted it last year but felt I could wait for the prices to drop a bit since there's yearly iterations.

How would I go about doing this? Is the E designation a yearly thing or what?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, E is 2017, F is 2018. We can expect next year to be G assuming they keep the model lines the same.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah, okay that makes a lot more sense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gray Matter posted:

Went to a different BB location today for another look. The TCL was the only model that was powered off out of dozens of displays on the wall - hmmmmmmmm. After I turned it on it had a much better display demo vid running than the one at the other store. It appeared to be the manufacturer-supplied one, and I didn't notice any of the offputting issues from the demo I saw last night. At the points where the video was almost entirely white, I couldn't see any hint of banding or text artifacting. It actually looked really friggin good.

Told them I was ready to purchase and they steered me hard away from it, really trying to push the Sony X900F on me. It's unmistakably a nicer display but it's 236% the price of the TCL and defintely not 236% of the image quality. Thought about it for a brief while and ended up just leaving. Gonna go ahead and grab that TCL off the website instead. Thanks for sense checking me, goons.

Your experience is basically what people are talking about when they refer to the "TCL lottery". If you end up with a good display, you've just snagged a great deal. If you get a bad one, you're gonna have to play the return/replace game a bit. I would've personally just bought the good one you saw in-store, as at least you know exactly what you're getting.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

qbert posted:

Your experience is basically what people are talking about when they refer to the "TCL lottery". If you end up with a good display, you've just snagged a great deal. If you get a bad one, you're gonna have to play the return/replace game a bit. I would've personally just bought the good one you saw in-store, as at least you know exactly what you're getting.
Delivered this morning. I set it up with the Rtings recommended settings, which were basically stock, and put in about a half hour of Fortnite on it. No glaring flaws or noticeable banding, but I didn't go loading up any white screens looking for it. One thing that was noticeable was the difference in input lag from my Samsung UN50F6300. I didn't really expect it to see a difference, but I could immediately tell the controller response was snappier and felt much better to play. So far I'm pretty tickled.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What is the response time on the new tv compared to your old one?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What is the response time on the new tv compared to your old one?
I'm having a hard time finding response time spec for the F6300 for some reason.

Rtings says the TCL is
80% Response Time
: 6.3 ms
100% Response Time
: 12.4 ms.

I found some Rtings post saying F6300 input lag is 62.5ms in game mode, but posts elsewhere saying it's 40ms in "PC Mode", which I never knew about or used.
Input lag is between 17.8 - 19.6ms for the new TCL, depending on resolution.

Either way, the difference in input lag between the two is highly obvious when playing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I need to buy a TV because our new apartment does not come with one. Please help.

I do not know anything about TVs so I apologize this is all a bit vague. I see the comments about OLED but the cheapest ones I find around here (Spain) are way over €1000 which is a lot more than I want to spend.

What other criteria can I use to slim down my search? I guess all I care about are the following and while searching on amazon.es this seems to encompass every TV ever made:

- less than €600
- around 50"
- slim
- smart TV with wifi which does at least: netflix, amazon video, plex, and youtube
- ethernet would be cool?

One more thing I oddly care a lot about is how responsive the interface is. It drives me nuts to press a menu button and have to wait a second for it to do anything. Years ago I bought my parents a smart samsung TV and it was laggy as poo poo... no one else cared but it drove me mad.

I am pretty sure nothing we watch is actually 4K so I don't really care about that, but on the other hand I don't want to buy another TV any time soon so maybe it is dumb to buy some old 1080 thing.

There is this 55" TLC that has Android TV which seems like a cool idea? But the reviews are mixed and I see you guys discussing this brand being a bit of a lotto. Does anyone know how laggy the interface is? I might be crazy (lazy) enough to try it...

https://www.amazon.es/TCL-55DP660-Television-Ultra-Triple/dp/B07B8KMN7L

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont wanna say too much as I haven't seen every TV out there or even close but in my experience, though getting better, built in smart tv features are basically just a convenience when you dont have proper streaming hardware at best, and at worst just a clunky disaster. I always recommend the Nvidia Shield if you're a streamer, but that uses essentially the same system as whats built into my new Sony X850. The Shield lags for nothing, so if responsiveness is your thing, its a great investment. It offers more versatility than anything else out there (but its not cheap). My TV can do a lot of the same things, but there is definitely a little lag in there moving through the menus and such.
Dont think they sell TCL in store anywhere in Canada yet, only online, so I've yet to see or try one. But given its budget nature, I would imagine the built in android on their set would be probably a little worse than what it is on my Sony, but dont quote me. As is always said, yet somehow isn't the threat title yet. Check rtings.com. There you will get a detailed review of every aspect of the TV, including the smart features and their responsiveness.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Thank you for that.

My wife just shat on the idea of a 55" TV and rightly pointed out it won't even fit where we expect to put it so I can't really argue with that. I see TCL sells smaller models but none are on amazon.es.

A 49" would be a snug fit, and a 43" would still look okay.

LED > LCD, right?

This is the cheapest 49" that is from a brand I have heard of:

https://www.amazon.es/LG-49UJ651V-Smart-resoluci%F3n-Surround/dp/B06ZXQX7ZX/

This Samsung looks really nice but is a bit pricey. Could it be worth it over the LG?

https://www.amazon.es/Samsung-UE49MU7055-HDR1000-Carbono-versi%F3n/dp/B071RMC7HT/

Also, speaking of hearing, I must be an old man because with our current TV I often complain I cannot understand voices and have to turn it up. Is this just me, a problem with all lovely TV speakers, or something some TVs are better at?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Almost all TVs have garbage speakers so they can get the body of the TV thinner. They pretty much expect you to buy a soundbar at minimum.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes, people who buy big TVs and use the built in speakers are garbage. Also once you go below 55, hell even 50" (and this guideline is constantly going up) you see less and less premium models. So for example a 43 or 49" is likely gonna be 6000 series or so, which is on the lower end. Dont just look at it being a "brand you've heard of" because if its their bottom end, its the bottom end. Better than a no name RCA off brand probably, but nothing I'd buy.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I do have a Samsung UN40MU6290 that is a 4k 40" TV I use as a computer monitor and the smart features on it work well and it's fast enough not to be a problem. The Picture is okay, not great but for near the bottom end of Samsung's range I'd say it's not total garbage. If you don't have space for a 55" TV then everything you look at on Rtings.com will have poor reviews. Pick something that does okay for what you want to do with it and it shouldn't be too bad.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

other people posted:

Thank you for that.

My wife just shat on the idea of a 55" TV and rightly pointed out it won't even fit where we expect to put it so I can't really argue with that. I see TCL sells smaller models but none are on amazon.es.

A 49" would be a snug fit, and a 43" would still look okay.

LED > LCD, right?

This is the cheapest 49" that is from a brand I have heard of:

https://www.amazon.es/LG-49UJ651V-Smart-resoluci%F3n-Surround/dp/B06ZXQX7ZX/

This Samsung looks really nice but is a bit pricey. Could it be worth it over the LG?

https://www.amazon.es/Samsung-UE49MU7055-HDR1000-Carbono-versi%F3n/dp/B071RMC7HT/

Also, speaking of hearing, I must be an old man because with our current TV I often complain I cannot understand voices and have to turn it up. Is this just me, a problem with all lovely TV speakers, or something some TVs are better at?

LED just refers to the type of backlight. Both use LCD screens. Just the older LCD screens use a compact fluorescent backlight and the newer ones use smaller/thinner/better LEDs.

But marketing is dumb and they refer to those panels as "LED" now.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've been thinking for a while about buying a new television, and this is what I'm looking for:

- Around $1500-$1800
- 4K Dolby Vision HDR
- 70"-75"
- I don't care about 'smart tv' capabilities, as I have a FireTV.

What's the best screen that fits these requirements? The Vizio E-Series is what I've been considering.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 2, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

other people posted:

Thank you for that.

My wife just shat on the idea of a 55" TV and rightly pointed out it won't even fit where we expect to put it so I can't really argue with that. I see TCL sells smaller models but none are on amazon.es

From my own recent research into buying a tv in Europe, the TCL screens sold here are different models to the ones the American goons go nuts about and are missing a lot of the features. I just bought a Samsung nu7100, 55 inches, and I'm very happy with it. The smart features on it are quick and responsive and for the price and size it's probably the best option. LG is regarded as having the best smart features but at the price range we're looking at their screens are poo poo washed out IPS panels. I think Samsung have worked on their interface a lot recently so it should have improved a lot since your last bad experience with them.

The nu7100 goes under a bunch of different model numbers depending on the country but I think this model on Spanish amazon is the one you need.

Here's the rtings review for you to make your mind up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sneeze Party posted:

I've been thinking for a while about buying a new television, and this is what I'm looking for:

- Around $1500-$1800
- 4K Dolby Vision HDR
- 70"-75"
- I don't care about 'smart tv' capabilities, as I have a FireTV.

What's the best screen that fits these requirements? The Vizio E-Series is what I've been considering.

Personally I wouldn't go below the M series in the Vizio, I wouldn't even get that now as they are only 60hz but a lot of people dont care of motion the way I do.