Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes? Calling them a "Nexus phone but after someone from XDA got to it" doesn't really conflict with that personal opinion of mine. I would definitely never buy a phone that I'd describe like that, I don't view it as a positive or good thing.

Oh, I guess I don't know XDA's reputation either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WhyteRyce posted:

T-Mobile is having some aggressive rear end trade-in deals for the 6T. You can get $300 off a 6T for trading in any old rear end OnePlus phone or an old rear end Nexus 6

Yeah, that's why I'm considering adding one to my T-Mobile bill. I have one of the OG refurb pixels sitting around and if I can get $300 credit towards the 6T, it would knock the monthly cost down to the point where it could still be fully absorbed by my company's communication stipend. Basically a toy for free

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm considering adding one to my T-Mobile bill. I have one of the OG refurb pixels sitting around and if I can get $300 credit towards the 6T, it would knock the monthly cost down to the point where it could still be fully absorbed by my company's communication stipend. Basically a toy for free

I had zero interest in a OnePlus phone but getting $300 for my 2 year old Pixel and the price of the Pixel 3 is making me feel like taking a shot hoping I won't be a penny wise, pound foolish

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just waiting to see all the fine print and the process around the trade. The lack of "up too" language around the offer is tickling my "too good to be true" senses.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

T-Mobile is having some aggressive rear end trade-in deals for the 6T. You can get $300 off a 6T for trading in any old rear end OnePlus phone or an old rear end Nexus 6

I was looking for a list of eligible devices, did you see one?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Here's T-Mobile's marketing page, includes a list for trade-ins

I've got a iPhone 6 that I'm itching to trade, I'll check out my local store on the 1st and see what the deal is. A new phone for <300 would be ideal. That being said, I don't know if I'm a fan of the size: is the Pixel 3 the only Android flagship that isn't Max/Plus/etc sized?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Nybble posted:

I've got a iPhone 6 that I'm itching to trade, I'll check out my local store on the 1st and see what the deal is. A new phone for <300 would be ideal. That being said, I don't know if I'm a fan of the size: is the Pixel 3 the only Android flagship that isn't Max/Plus/etc sized?

You can get an XZ2 Compact from bestbuy for $399-449 depending on your preference of open box or not, it's fast as balls and the battery life is great and the camera in daytime is probably the best on the market, it falls apart in high contrast / dark situations but overall it's really hard to say no to it at the price point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

I was looking for a list of eligible devices, did you see one?

Apple: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
Samsung: GS8 series, Note 8, GS7 series, Note 5, GS6 series
Google: Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel, Pixel XL
LG: V30, V30+, G7, V20, G6
Motorola: Z2 Force; Z2 Play; Nexus 6
OnePlus: 5, 5T, 6, 3, 3T, X, 2, 1

This is a good deal for anybody with a Galaxy S6, Iphone 6, or old-rear end Oneplus phone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm assuming the pool of available old OnePlus phones on Ebay and swappa have been already sucked dry by fatwalleters

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mod edit: Thumbnail your goddamn images

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This language is interesting and I think I figured it out.

quote:

Eligible customers who mail in their trade-in device will receive the full promotional value of $300 via monthly bill credits. The trade-in device must be mailed within 30 days of the shipping date of the new device .

Eligible customers performing an in-store trade-in may instantly receive store credit for the trade-in value, with the remainder of the $300 savings reimbursed via monthly bill credits

Essentially, each of these phones has a trade in value and T-Mobile is fronting the difference to hit $300.

So, if you do online, it's straight bill credits. If you do it in store, your first get the trade in value deducted off the phone purchase and the difference comes from bill credits.

So, if your phone is worth $100, your account has a $499 lease attached to it with $8.33 of bill credits applied.

In store seems like a better deal if you think you are likely to leave T-Mobile before 2 years or would otherwise want to pay off the phone early.

I realize now that this is veering off Android topic and more T-Mobile chatter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not only was this already posted, you need to remember to timg your images.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The OnePlus 6T doesn't have a notification LED or always on display, not great.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It has double tap to wake and automatically turns on the display to movement or proximity, it's fine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

It has double tap to wake and automatically turns on the display to movement or proximity, it's fine

That's not the equivalent to ambient display or an LED. The whole point of those options is to *not* wake the screen like that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

The OnePlus 6T doesn't have a notification LED or always on display, not great.

Wonder if it can't do always on/ambient display + active fingerprint sensor (with light ring indicator only coming on when lifted/moved/whatever) because that'd kill battery too quickly

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got my Pixel 3 XL! Like it so far, though having the screen size on the smallest setting makes the notch look really silly.

I was planning on reusing my PopSocket from my V20 to help hold the phone and protect the back but uh I can't get it to stick to the frosted glass? Like, at all? There's plenty of tackiness--I put it back on my V20 to test and it stuck just fine, but it just kinda slides around on the 3 XL and as soon as I try to hold it by the PopSocket it just falls off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RGq6WM5WBg

That was quick. The phone looks pretty durable and the fingerprint sensor still works if the screen is scratched. The frosted glass back scratches about the same as the P3.

It seems like reactions to the fingerprint sensor vary. Some aren't having much issue with it at all while other people are having all kinds of issues.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Did the Google search bar change to require a double tap for text input recently? It seems to be unresponsive to single taps for bringing up a keyboard, which is how I thought it used to work. I do have the "ok Google" voice activation thing enabled but don't use it frequently.

Edit: Seems like double taps aren't even recognized half the time either, or like it's just taking multiple seconds to show the keyboard? Really weird and annoying.

On moto x4 Android one on Fi.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 30, 2018

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Oh also is there a way to automatically reject every website that asks for permission to send me notifications?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

"We" don't "hate" anything. Develop your own opinions. People in this thread have very well-founded concerns about the marketing, QA, and support of OnePlus. Their phone specs and prices are completely outside of this.

Hows their QA compared to Google

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I dunno, my eyes are lasered, I have better than 20/20 vision, so I enjoy high resolution. I can see the difference.

Most people have better than 20/20 vision. If you've never needed glasses or eye surgery and aren't an old then you probably have better than 20/20 vision.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not only was this already posted, you need to remember to timg your images.

Who cares about using timg anymore? The forum scales images now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Charles posted:

Who cares about using timg anymore? The forum scales images now.

If you have an issue with something I've asked as a mod, PM me. Thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

underage at the vape shop posted:

Most people have better than 20/20 vision. If you've never needed glasses or eye surgery and aren't an old then you probably have better than 20/20 vision.

Ok. The point was I can appreciate a 1440p screen, which someone suggested was impossible and I am old

CLAM DOWN posted:

"We" don't "hate" anything. Develop your own opinions. People in this thread have very well-founded concerns about the marketing, QA, and support of OnePlus. Their phone specs and prices are completely outside of this.

I just saw this. I'm developing my own opinions by asking people I respect in this thread why they dislike OnePlus, because their last two phones have been pretty interesting to me. If I wasn't willing to break from the echo chamber I wouldn't consider the 6t.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 30, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just saw this. I'm developing my own opinions by asking people I respect in this thread why they dislike OnePlus, because their last two phones have been pretty interesting to me. If I wasn't willing to break from the echo chamber I wouldn't consider the 6t.

Fair. Sorry for jumpin on ya. My issue with then is primarily with their shoddy QA, sketchy marketing, and corporate practices. I actually feel like I may like their hardware, but I won't buy it based on that tbh. Hope that helps explain myself

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my $99 Home Depot Google home hub today and the reviews weren't kidding about the ambient display being tuned perfectly to blend in. It's amazing really.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OnePlus: show us your tits!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/StefanEtienne/status/1056949160463745024
the one true notch

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

OnePlus: show us your tits!

SHOW US YOUR TITS AFTER XDA HAS GOTTEN A HOLD OF THEM

*unveils a hellish pair of tetrahedrons with a flourish*

"yeah it's a daily driver for me, camera causes the RIL to crash requiring a reboot but :twisted: hot coffee enabled :twisted: don't forget to wipe data and cache 3x also I'm selling mine as-is, CRICKET ONLY IMEI"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

P3 and P3 Xl appear to be live in ubreakifix.

As expected, screen repair on both is much higher since you have to disassemble the phones to get at them. $280 for the P3 XL and $270 for the P3. (For reference, the P2 is $130 and the P2 XL is $220.)

Everything is more accessible through the edge glued back.

The back glass replacement is a fairly reasonable $99 on both models (for reference, the iPhone XR costs $399 to fix back damage.) Battery replacement is $80 for both models. Everything else is $100 or less to repair.

Once again, the protection plan is only $12 better than break even for the P3 XL unless you plan on breaking the screen twice. P3 fairs a little better since the deductible is only $99 rather than $129, but still, you are only saving $40 unless you break the screen more than once. That's if you want to do a refurb rather than repair. You do save $50 on the deductible on both models if you take the phone to ubreakifix to repair rather than replace.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FistEnergy posted:

If you are away from your phone for a moment and you miss a message or notification coming in, the phone has no way of letting you know until you manually check for it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

P3 and P3 Xl appear to be live in ubreakifix.

As expected, screen repair on both is much higher since you have to disassemble the phones to get at them. $280 for the P3 XL and $270 for the P3. (For reference, the P2 is $130 and the P2 XL is $220.)

Everything is more accessible through the edge glued back.

The back glass replacement is a fairly reasonable $99 on both models (for reference, the iPhone XR costs $399 to fix back damage.) Battery replacement is $80 for both models. Everything else is $100 or less to repair.

Once again, the protection plan is only $12 better than break even for the P3 XL unless you plan on breaking the screen twice. P3 fairs a little better since the deductible is only $99 rather than $129, but still, you are only saving $40 unless you break the screen more than once. That's if you want to do a refurb rather than repair. You do save $50 on the deductible on both models if you take the phone to ubreakifix to repair rather than replace.

How often do people actually break screens? Obviously it happens sometimes, but the epidemic of broken screen seems to be a thing of the past, from my limited perspective. I remember iPhone screens breaking all the time like pre iPhone 6, but I don't think I've seen a single broken screen in the wild since then.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Battery replacement is $80 for both models.

I could totally see myself doing that for my Pixel 2 1.5 to 2 years into it's lifespan, of course, nothing like that is being offered in Europe so it's a moot point.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Taffer posted:

How often do people actually break screens? Obviously it happens sometimes, but the epidemic of broken screen seems to be a thing of the past, from my limited perspective. I remember iPhone screens breaking all the time like pre iPhone 6, but I don't think I've seen a single broken screen in the wild since then.

I work at a community center, and we require a cell phone to hold in order to check out basketballs. I would say that 75-80% of the phones I see have broken screens, with about 60% of the phones I see being iPhones. The majority of the population are middle school and high school kids though, so that may be the determining factor.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

stood on loose cobble and balanced myself with the hand my phone was in

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty much all of my employees are uni students and I don't think a single one has an intact phone for more than a few weeks at a time

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's a nuisance I've had for a while, but which isn't really a problem until winter comes and I start hiding my fingerprints in gloves. Normally the lock screen comes on as soon as the light or motion sensor is triggered, I'm sure most phones work like this by now. Now, if I'm walking along listening to music on a bluetooth headset, I might want to check what time it is and if I'm late. But when taking the phone out, the lock screen doesn't come on as normal. Not by pressing the power button either. It needs a fingerprint unlock to turn the screen on. Anyone else see this?

It's-your-fault solution:
Leave home earlier, endure colder hands

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I want to get my girlfriend a new(er) Android phone for her birthday. She's got some LG potato right now on Straight Talk. I'm cool with spending around $400-500 for a more modern phone but I don't really know anything about buying unlocked phones.

Can anyone recommend a phone and retailer that I can use and just slap her Sim in there?

I'd also really like to buy a warranty plan for her because she will drop it and break the screen while taking fifty pictures of her dog every morning.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that there was a Recommend a Phone thread.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 30, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taffer posted:

I've owned a dozen phones and only damaged the screen on my Nexus 6. I was walking up the stairs with my phone in one hand and my metal water bottle in the other and somehow managed to hit the screen with the bottle. Shattered.

Two or three of my coworkers have shattered screens on their phones. The part that I don't understand is that I've been there since August and the screens are still shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Personally, I've broken 1 screen (Galaxy S3), but the number of broken screens in my house overall exceeds the number of people living here.