Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Switch DarkSouls is my first ever DarkSouls and seeing bloodstain ghosts dodge backwards over a cliff or off a walkway still hasn’t gotten boring for me lmao

Yesterday I died fighting the Taurus Demon while carrying 19k souls and 5 liquid humanity.

No problem.

Until I ran out of the bonfire room in Undead Burg, took an immediate hard left turn, and ran directly off the platform.

It made me wish bloodstains reported what the player lost at that death because my stain would be loving hillarious!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

Alright Spirit Tracks maybe, but raggin' on Phantom Hourglass?

Yeah nah mate.

Linebeck is literally the only good part of that game.:colbert:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

KingSlime posted:

Agreed, HoD is the worst of the portable CVs. The quality disparity is so bad, you could have told me it was outsourced to some no name team rather than made by the Iga team itself.

It's an ok game but an embarrassing entry for the series imo. Wtf was going on with the music?? Why does the artsyle clash consistently? Why are the bosses complete pushovers, they just feel like regular enemies but With A Big Sprite. That's why they managed to stuff so many of them in there.

It also ripped off so many graphics and effects from sotn. Instead of being reminiscent of sotn, it just looked bad and out of place. It doesn't work, guys! This isn't a PS1 in terms of hardware power or screen rez

I never see myself playing that game ever again despite regularly replaying all the others

My personal faves are either DoS or OoE, but aria is also extremely good and I have a huge soft spot for circle of the moon

To be fair, Castlevania games in general have a poo poo-ton of reused sprites. SOTN in particular uses a lot of assets from Rondo.

Rondo, btw, is the best Castlevania game. Or at least it's my favorite.

As for Harmony, I remember thinking it was OK at the time, but I haven't played it since it was first released. I remembered it being really easy compared to CotM. The unlimited dash was very abusable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His theme sounds like the "Look Down" song from Les Mis in a major key, and I'm convinced his visual design is based on Jean Valjean

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Switch DarkSouls is my first ever DarkSouls and seeing bloodstain ghosts dodge backwards over a cliff or off a walkway still hasn’t gotten boring for me lmao

There’s something really magical on a first playthrough to see a bloodstain in your path, checking it out, and seeing a ghost take 5 steps then get flung the gently caress off a cliff or pit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My favorite Castlevania is 4. I love how Simon feels to control in it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

My favorite Castlevania is 4. I love how Simon feels to control in it.

It's really weird that they never followed that thread further. I'd be down with more classic games in the vein of 4, maybe running alongside the usual sotn style metroidvanias

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Whens fire emblem coming out i wanna gently caress a dragon

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jimmy Hats posted:

Whens fire emblem coming out i wanna gently caress a dragon

Dragons are not for loving, friend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Especially not the ones that appear in Fire Emblem games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Especially not the ones that appear in Fire Emblem games

depends on the dragon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Darkest Dungeon any different/better on the Switch than its PC incarnation, besides the whole portability thing?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does anyone know if Diablo 3 Switch have crossplay with PC?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

probably not, they would've underlined that when they announced the port it it did

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon any different/better on the Switch than its PC incarnation, besides the whole portability thing?
AFAIK it's exactly the same game

The UI/navigation is a bit of a mess on a controller though

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Infinitum posted:

If it's like the other console ports, it's a very different game than the PC version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

No but they also said that maybe in the future

quote:

According to Stilwell, “It’s not available at this time. I wouldn’t ever take anything off the table, it’s something we’re exploring, that we’re interested in. But it is not currently a feature.”

(This is in reference to the console versions having cross platform multiplayer)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PC crossplay would be tough because the console versions have a dodge roll move, skill changes, and a reduced enemy count to make gameplad play feasible. I wish they would bring the controls to PC but they probably won't at this point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If it's like the other console ports, it's a very different game than the PC version.

What. It's the same game in almost all respects. Even down to the seasons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

What. It's the same game in almost all respects. Even down to the seasons.

The control scheme and the addition of the roll (and the additional stuff they did to accommodate those things) changes it a lot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The control scheme and the addition of the roll changes a lot

the.... roll?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Andrast posted:

The control scheme and the addition of the roll changes a lot

Sure the controls are different (better, imo) but they are still an interface to the exact same systems. The only thing the roll is good for is smashing through barrels. I'm not even sure it lets you dodge anything. It's exactly as fast as your actual move!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found out there is a Switch remake of fuckin Penguin Wars :black101: and bought that poo poo straight away. The original is one of my favorite Game Boy games and I can't wait to firmly grasp my balls and throw them into the faces of my enemies

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hmmm strongly disagree

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Apparently someone mined some data and there are references to some Diablo 3 amiibo so that might be a real thing, yeah.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

SettingSun posted:

One of Circle of the Moon's main criticisms was that it was too dark to actually see the game with the original GBA's lack of a backlight. They went the polar opposite with HoD to try and combat that.

If I remember correctly, the game is so dark because it was developed almost entirely on a PC dev kit, and final GBA hardware wasn't in the team's hands until late in the development process. Without seeing what it would look like on actual hardware, they probably assumed it'd be fine since it's perfectly fine on a CRT or backlit monitor.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sure are a lot of wrong people in this thread thinking Zero Mission is better than Metroid: Fusion, AKA the best 2D Metroid.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kirios posted:

Sure are a lot of wrong people in this thread thinking Zero Mission is better than Metroid: Fusion, AKA the best 2D Metroid.

nobody thinks that's the best 2D Metroid, I'm pretty sure

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kirios posted:

Zero Mission is second only to AM2R as best 2D Metroid title.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
ASMR isn’t even very good, it’s just another lovely fan game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it's based on Metroid 2, not exactly a fantastic game to begin with

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KingSlime posted:

I mean it's based on Metroid 2, not exactly a fantastic game to begin with

the remake on the 3ds is pretty good if you don’t focus on the counter move.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wouldn’t go that far. It was pretty good but I preferred Samus Returns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The best part about the 3DS game is it showed how lovely and janky the fanmake was.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kirios posted:

Can you elaborate on what you liked about it? I liked how colorful it was and disliked being told where to go through the whole game

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Kirios posted:

The best 2D metroid for babbys that need their hands held and told where to go from start to finish

Kirios posted:

The best part about the 3DS game is it showed how lovely and janky the fanmake was.

The 3DS game feels terrible to play. It encourages you to stand around and wait for an enemy attack, aiming feels like poo poo, and playing a 2D game with the terrible thumb disc sucks.

The only real problem with AM2R is that it's based on weak source material. Metroid 2 was repetitive and its main mechanic, killing an arbitrary amount of metroids to lower the water level via earthquake, doesn't make sense. In terms of feel, it's pretty darn close to super metroid, though.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 29, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sure.

* I loved the story behind Metroid Fusion and think it's a great way to extend the franchise. I wish they'd do more chronologically past it!
* SA-X is the best enemy in the series.
* It has the best bosses in the game. Nightmare especially is a standout.
* There's an actual narrative throughout the entire game. It holds your hands through two thirds of it but I enjoyed having it.
* It's actually a pretty tense game! I wouldn't call it scary but it definitely has a feeling to the game that is simply not replicated anywhere else. A large part of that is because...
* The music is great and my favorite of the series besides Prime 1 (Which is my favorite Metroid).
* The other 2D Metroids are extremely similar in terms of scope and feel. Fusion's the only one that really stands on its own as doing something different with the franchise. And I really appreciated that about it.

Edit: Please, these aren't hard games. "Having your hand held" is something that doesn't bother me because it opens itself up just like any other Metroid, except now you get a pretty interesting story with tense moments!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

The best 2D metroid for babbys that need their hands held and told where to go from start to finish

What’s wrong with theme parks, again?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Also Batman: Arkham Asylum is the best Metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also the reason you’re looking for for the tension in Fusion is that every enemy hits like a ducking truck compared to other games

Edit you know what can we just acknowledge “ducking” as an unofficial swear, jfc autocorrect