Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That only gives me a picture of T'Pol's rear end, actually.

Apparently Work Safe since it aired on network TV

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m confused. Nana’s butt isn’t even big and I’ve never noticed her suit being tight back there. Not like Troi’s or Seven’s.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WampaLord posted:

Someone forgot to turn off hologram Joe Piscopo again!

The safeties are off... these jokes could cause actual damage!

*musical flair*

*cut to opening credits*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

I guess military heels are a bit lol but that's pretty minor and everybody wore them in TOS

Even Shatner! :buddy:

(okay, technically he wore lifts...)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

On the subject of DS9 season 8 and Tumblr:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Eh it is a little bit

I think the second one she got once they made her a Colonel was slightly too catsuity, I miss the shoulderpads and huge belt buckle from season 1 *swoon*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zurui posted:

On the subject of DS9 season 8 and Tumblr:

I think that was Pick here in this thread. You either found Pick's tumblr or someone is a fushing theef

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The safeties are off... these jokes could cause actual damage!

*musical flair*

*cut to opening credits*

Hologram safeties, huh, folks? Those things crash so often, they must have been programmed by Elon Musk!

*gets holo-tomato thrown at him*

Well, that's my time, remember to tip your holo-waitresses, because they're all sentient now!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
In the world of Star Trek, Elon Musk is considered a visonary alongside the Wright brothers and Zephram Cochrane. This is a thing now.

loving shutter the whole franchise it's done

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tighclops posted:

In the world of Star Trek, Elon Musk is considered a visonary alongside the Wright brothers and Zephram Cochrane. This is a thing now.

loving shutter the whole franchise it's done

That was said by a guy from the mirror universe

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yeah, I could believe Elon Musk as a visionary weapons dealer and war criminal.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ok good point

except nobody corrected him

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Like Zephram Cochrane? The Wright Brothers? Elon Musk?"

"Who was that last one?"

"O-oh, uhhhh... he was a founder of KillPal? Tesla Armored Vehicles? GenocideX and the reuseable Zyklon B tablet? No? Hmm."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Boring (A Hole Through Your Automated Defense Grid With a Giant Fuckoff Particle Cannon) Company

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I wanna see the pics of Kai Kira.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope the person who wrote Elon Musk into Star Trek is kicking themselves right now.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why? He helped create commercial spaceflight. Zephram Cochran was a capitalist AND a drunk, and he's still remembered!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Commercial space was already a thing when SpaceX showed up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
OK, he made the USA the leader once more in commercial space launch and crushed the Russian's product, and it looks like Europe is next.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a27290/one-chart-spacex-dominate-rocket-launches/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Elon Musk being the first human to initiate contact with aliens is going to be quite the news story.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
SpaceX's achievements are important and surely worth acknowledgement in sci fi like Trek, but holding up the rich kid that finally chose to fund something like that in with the creators of powered flight and warp drive seems a bit like it's missing the point and serves as an easy example of why the people writing STD don't quite "get it"

For example, if a spaceship with a Blue Origin logo flew past the camera in The Expanse, that would be cute and appropriate. If Amos starts talking about how they'd all be hosed without visonaries like Jeff Bezos it would be tacky and lame.

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 29, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

LRADIKAL posted:

Why? He helped create commercial spaceflight. Zephram Cochran was a capitalist AND a drunk, and he's still remembered!

Tbf, Cochran first appeared on TOS, where being a drunk was like 75% of an engineer's cred.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
First Contact is weird because all the Zephram stuff is fantastic star trek time travel stuff and all the borg stuff is dumb and stolen from moby dick. so it's like half a great star trek movie but that's better than most imo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The moby dick stuff is good too

it is good when start truck does the literary references, they make me feel brainy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tighclops posted:

The moby dick stuff is good too

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
first contact is actually cool and good despite it's glaring flaws

fight me (on the deflector dish)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Assimilate THIS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

first contact is actually cool and good despite it's glaring flaws
YES

HD DAD posted:

Assimilate THIS
OK

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Someone forgot to turn off hologram Joe Piscopo again!

Hologram Joe Piscopo gets shunted into a subroutine on the ship's computer that's just a weight bench and a comedy club.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Hologram Joe Piscopo gets shunted into a subroutine on the ship's computer that's just a weight bench and a comedy club.

carrot_top.hldk

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LRADIKAL posted:

OK, he made the USA the leader once more in commercial space launch and crushed the Russian's product, and it looks like Europe is next.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a27290/one-chart-spacex-dominate-rocket-launches/

Actually, his workers did all that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The really daft thing about Musk being namedropped in Disco is not that Musk is a douchebag, although he is; it’s that it directly calls attention to how incoherent Trek’s conception of the development of spaceflight is compared to how spaceflight has developed in actual fact. Like every other attempt to make Trek continue to be a story of our own future, rather than the retrofuture that it actually is, it’s an obvious unforced error in how the writers conceive of the work.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Unpopular opinion: the Cochran stuff in First Contact should have been in its own separate movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand, budget. The Borg from the beginning have been infamously expensive to feature. The battle with the cube in First Contact was one of the most expensive parts of the entire movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

fight me (on the deflector dish)

Well, okay, but only if we make sure to establish first that shooting the deflector dish would instantly kill us all, and we then immediately shoot the deflector dish and no such thing happens.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Well, okay, but only if we make sure to establish first that shooting the deflector dish would instantly kill us all, and we then immediately shoot the deflector dish and no such thing happens.

It would only destroy the ship if it were still attached to it. Because antiprotons.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skasion posted:

The really daft thing about Musk being namedropped in Disco is not that Musk is a douchebag, although he is; it’s that it directly calls attention to how incoherent Trek’s conception of the development of spaceflight is compared to how spaceflight has developed in actual fact. Like every other attempt to make Trek continue to be a story of our own future, rather than the retrofuture that it actually is, it’s an obvious unforced error in how the writers conceive of the work.

Wasn't Khan launched asleep into deep space in 1996 in Star Trek's timeline? Musk is way behind, no cryogenically frozen genetically enhanced dictators on his rockets whatsoever.

edit: Looked it up, forgot Khan commandeered the Botany Bay and put himself to sleep. But it was 96.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

From what I gather, Berman and Braga doing stupid poo poo on Voyager allowed Behr and Co to do what they wanted on DS9. Voyager was the golden stepchild once TNG was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Musk as he stands now being included in Trek would be dumb, but I think that reference was assuming that he pulls off full reusability and ITS and opens common mass access to Earth orbit and spearheads Mars missions.