Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Whitlam posted:

My hot take prediction for the Vic election is Andrews government re-elected in its own right.

You might be right but oh no the monkey's finger curls and a bunch of Greens lose their seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because as we all know wealthy centrist women are really good at beating loud fascists

It's entirely possible Joyce's electorate is sick of his poo poo. Didn't his daughter crash a car while shouting out a megaphone not to vote for him at his section 44-induced by-election and it was all hushed up?

Not that tree tories and the capital class are much better, but at least they'd hopefully acknowledge climate change is a thing and it's in their (and their electorates) best interest to act decisively.

That's not a great hope, but I'll take a 1% shot at effective climate legislation over a 0% one with wilfully ignorant dingbats like Joyce around.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

GoldStandardConure posted:

I don't think by-elections are compulsory.

The AEC say they are: https://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/supplementary_by_elections/by-elections-factsheet.htm

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

It's entirely possible Joyce's electorate is sick of his poo poo. Didn't his daughter crash a car while shouting out a megaphone not to vote for him at his section 44-induced by-election and it was all hushed up?

Not that tree tories and the capital class are much better, but at least they'd hopefully acknowledge climate change is a thing and it's in their (and their electorates) best interest to act decisively.

That's not a great hope, but I'll take a 1% shot at effective climate legislation over a 0% one with wilfully ignorant dingbats like Joyce around.

I think that thing about the daughter and the megaphone was just a rumor. I never saw it confirmed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Contractors found to be more efficient for Centrelink call centres

Renee Viellaris, The Courier-Mail

HUNDREDS of new Centrelink call centre jobs will be privatised with a secret report revealing contractors are faster, more efficient and take fewer sickies than union-protected public servants.

The Morrison Government will today reveal it will outsource 800 call centre workers in Brisbane to plough through the tens of millions of calls made to Centrelink each year.

Human Services Minister Michael Keenan said while Centrelink staff answered most of the one million calls it received a week within the target of less than 16 minutes, he wanted it to be quicker for Australians to have their inquiries answered.

Senior Australians are complaining about waiting too long to have their calls answered about their pension applications, with some stuck on hold for more than an hour.

Mr Keenan, who wants to supercharge customer service, said 800 contracted staff employed by Australian-based call centre operators, were among an extra 2500 to be hired.

“The reality is that customers don’t really care who is answering their call, as long as it is answered quickly by someone who is capable of resolving their issue,’’ Mr Keenan said.

He said Labor introduced a call centre outsourcing model for the Australian Taxation Office in 2008.

The Coalition Government has trialled using 250 staff, who have been trained to take Centrelink calls, through private firm Serco.

The confidential review by KPMG is believed to have found that contractors took 44 per cent more calls than Centrelink staff; had 28 per cent less downtime after taking a call; took 3.5 per cent less unscheduled leave; and were 13.5 per cent more efficient.

Mr Keenan said the 250 Serco staff had answered more than 3.2 million calls in the past year and busy signals had been cut by 40 per cent.

“This dispels many of the myths perpetuated by Labor that outsourcing leads to higher costs and reduced standards of service,’’ he said.

“Labor has vowed to scrap the use of contract staff if it wins Government and will instead hire 1200 public servants to replace them.”

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

froglet posted:

He still won easily, not sure you can say his dumbass yokel constituents are getting sick of him based on that

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Australia is about to elect a center left government. We got our far right chickenpox out of the way with Tony Abbott.

Don't be too shocked if there is a massive slide to the left politically over the next few years. Brexit will fail, Trump may go to prison, and Duterte is my hot tip for dying in office.

can i have some of what you're smoking

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

can i have some of what you're smoking

Pure hopeium

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Anidav posted:

Pure hopeium

disgusting

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

All Praise Dandrews and his Glorious New 4 Year Plan

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What happens when Centrelink call centres are all outsourced to people who don't give a flying gently caress about Australia? I mean sure for now they are being Privatised within Australia but I bet you that contract will let them outsource overseas if they really want to. If they do, the free market has spoken I guess.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
People on benefits get hosed, working as intended.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

What happens when Centrelink call centres are all outsourced to people who don't give a flying gently caress about Australia? I mean sure for now they are being Privatised within Australia but I bet you that contract will let them outsource overseas if they really want to. If they do, the free market has spoken I guess.

it turns out the best way to discourage asylum seekers to come to australia is to make them work for centrelink in their home countries

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1057034121497604097

That's an interesting lesson to learn from Wentworth.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aren't the AMA assholes? I swear I remember them all being liberal supporters.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Perfect candidate for Bennelong then

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

Ah yes, as opposed to the deep care and consideration for Australia and Australians shown by current Centrelink operations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1057036615481155584

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Anidav posted:

He seems ok - he opposed the copayment scheme on Medicare, helped with a euthanasia bill last year, he did only last a few years as AMA head though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah yes, as opposed to the deep care and consideration for Australia and Australians shown by current Centrelink operations.

I mean Centrelink has been poo poo for awhile but it has gotten considerably more poo poo under this government which seems intent on making it extremely difficult to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My parents are pensioners and they're getting absolutely hosed around by Centrelink, so it's not just dole recipients. You'd hope that this decision would have some blowback on the Libs' grey hair brigade but who knows.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
When does this ever work?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...tform=hootsuite

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ugh.. renewable generation may not be strictly "dispatchable" but it is getting very predictable. BOM modelling for wind and solar allows for accurate bidding into the market.

The contingency events on the NEM nowadays are when thermal units trip out with no warning and instantly remove 400 or 600 MW from the network. The big clunkers are getting worse and worse in reliability. Of course the solution is more coal!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Obviously pandering to the religious voters but completely lost on everyone else, including parents who send their kids to private education because they get better funding than the public ones. Can't wait to see Mr Invisible Police Candidate for Bendigo East sell that up here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AMA has been incredibly vocal about the refugee issue in the last few months so they've earned a lot of leeway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

He will get votes from the hillbilly east and people that attend churches with weird names in the west, but everyone else will be mad and those people will already give lib by preference flow from whatever crazy poo poo they're currently on board with. This is what happens when you let mormons into the main tent though I guess.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Surely that kind of thing is to get donors, rather than votes, right? Are churches allowed to donate to political campaigns?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think there was one AMA chief who was a proud liberal supporter and shilled for a few government policies but I feel like even he eventually started to distance himself from Dutton/Ley's horse poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Surely that kind of thing is to get donors, rather than votes, right? Are churches allowed to donate to political campaigns?

I don't know, there are a lot of serious Catholics that vote Labor, but you might be able to tempt enough in a swing seat. Who knows what the blowback is with putting other people off side though. You're definitely right that they're cash strapped and even if it doesn't mean donors, it means free advertising care of the religious lobbies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Matthew Guy sees Morrison flailing, decides the answer is more religion

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL Matty Guy is really doing his best to be unelectable isn't he?

I can see this being a winner for the Chinese Christian population in Victoria who are heavily conservative, but most of them already send their kids to private Christian schools.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Anidav posted:

HUNDREDS of new Centrelink call centre jobs will be privatised with a secret report revealing contractors are faster, more efficient and take fewer sickies than union-protected public servants.
Giving jobs to people who work sick for fear of getting fired is exactly the kind of thinking our welfare system needs.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
What's the odds the contractors are handling less complex cases while the full time staff are bogged down in the minutiae of documentation?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

LOL Matty Guy is really doing his best to be unelectable isn't he?

I can see this being a winner for the Chinese Christian population in Victoria who are heavily conservative, but most of them already send their kids to private Christian schools.

quote:

Following this change, enrolments fell from 92,808 students in 2013 to 53,361 – a 42 per cent plunge.

wait is this saying enrolment in those classes? nearly half of all students did not end up enrolling in those classes because it was no longer an opt out. how can matty look at those numbers and think changing it back is going to improve his chances?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yesterday: Bill Shorten says foreign policy needs an Australian accent and shouldn't be set by America.
Today: Scott Morrison says foreign policy needs an Australian accent by moving the Israeli Embassy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

What's the odds the contractors are handling less complex cases while the full time staff are bogged down in the minutiae of documentation?

More likely the contractors have been instructed/encouraged to fob complicated cases off and not spend their time on them, to improve KPIs and SLA performance, without having to worry about people running to the CPSU and it getting on the news.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

froglet posted:

Or have a set amount of time where they will deal with the customer, before cutting them off.

hambeet posted:

wait is this saying enrolment in those classes? nearly half of all students did not end up enrolling in those classes because it was no longer an opt out. how can matty look at those numbers and think changing it back is going to improve his chances?

Dunno, why don't you ask him the next time you catch up with him? ;)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Synthbuttrange posted:

for me to poop on
Get in loving line.

Don Dongington posted:

Bishop couldn't even take the leadership from loving Scomo. Or Dutton for that matter, so don't tell me she's any kind of operator.
It could be argued that she is just good at dodging the poison chalice.

The incompetence angle does however seem to be fair dinkum in the majority of cases. NTATA's latest tropical paradise gaff being jaw droppingly stupid.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

froglet posted:

Most basic of the basic and the reason sick days are lower is because if they take one they lose their contract and someone new has to be trained from scratch. CPSU have put out alot of information on the level this is going on at and it all comes down to the ASL caps at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

naeka posted:

Most basic of the basic and the reason sick days are lower is because if they take one they lose their contract and someone new has to be trained from scratch. CPSU have put out alot of information on the level this is going on at and it all comes down to the ASL caps at the end of the day.

Now if the ALP were smart, they'd sit down with the CPSU and get their ducks in a row, and launch a solid campaign on the disinformation and bad math at play here

But instead they'll just come up with a lovely slogan, that doesn't effectively counter the argument that "Well Centrelink are poo poo, so lets try their way".

• Locked thread