Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

KingSlime posted:

I mean it's based on Metroid 2, not exactly a fantastic game to begin with

Well both remakes did their jobs about as well as possible while still being restricted to M2's formula. I like both games, but AM2R is more fun for me to play because it controls like Zero Mission, whereas M:SR's 360 aiming and counter mechanic never felt natural for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kirios posted:

* It has the best bosses in the game. Nightmare especially is a standout.

This I disagree with because while many of the bosses ARE really good, having to fight a dumb X parasite after each one is obnoxious

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Fusion is more structured than Super or Zero Mission but it's got great atmosphere and I kind of like the episodic feel of going to different parts of the station.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I guess but god drat they're so good. And another good point was brought up, Metroid Fusion's probably the hardest of the 2D Metroids, despite being "hand holdy." I remember Gedo X being able to wreck your poo poo if you weren't used to the pattern. Same with Serris, which is another standout boss.

It's a creepy game with the parasites, and again, no other 2D Metroid comes close to this feeling.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fangame so lovely and janky that it included QOL features that Nintendo would eventually put into their own Metroid 2 Remake and the designer almost instantly got hired by a professional studio after releasing his fangame

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

the fangame so lovely and janky that it included QOL features that Nintendo would eventually put into their own Metroid 2 Remake and the designer almost instantly got hired by a professional studio after releasing his fangame

Yeah a lot of developers get their starts from lovely fan games or mods. Good for him.

Though lol if you think Nintendo took anything from a fan game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, seriously, good for him, I'm glad he leveraged it into a career.

It's still the inferior game and is clearly made by one person reusing a lot of assets. Calm down Augus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lovely fangame: “including Ridley as a final boss would be shallow fanservice that disrupts the tone of the ending”
professional remake: “lol let’s throw Ridley in at the end why not”

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

okay no, you're not going to calm down or back down from this. gotcha.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Augus posted:

lovely fangame: “including Ridley as a final boss would be shallow fanservice that disrupts the tone of the ending”

Ridley being at the end of M:SR still bugs me. If they were gonna do that, then at least have Samus' suit get damaged during the fight so it explains why she has no upgrades at the start of Super Metroid.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going on a 6 and a half week trip soon, and I'll be taking my switch with me. I've got most of the big titles like BOTW and Mario, are there any hidden gems I should consider? Anyone have any experience with Bomber Crew? I have the PC version and enjoy it, how does the switch version compare?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

Wouldn’t want to weaken the ending of *checks notes* Metroid 2?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirios posted:

your dire warnings about video game opinions have fallen upon deaf ears!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wouldn’t want to weaken the ending of *checks notes* Metroid 2?

so you agree with me but are just going “lol who cares”
gotcha

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 29, 2018

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AM2R is kinda dull and badly balanced and feels incredibly "safe", but I'll still take it any day over Samus Returns. The bad aspects of SR just completely ruin the whole thing for me in spite of there being some pretty good parts to it as well.

Fusion is good stuff, I just wish they could have added a skip cutscene button because those always drag things down on replays. I wouldn't say it's as good as SM or Prime 1 but I love that they did something unique and different with it. Also I wish they'd put it on the Switch because I seem to have lost my copy of the game at some point.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah a lot of developers get their starts from lovely fan games or mods. Good for him.

Though lol if you think Nintendo took anything from a fan game.

What didn't you like about AM2R? It isn't my favorite game or anything, but I thought it was incredibly successful at what it set out to do, and I certainly wouldn't call it janky.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

What didn't you like about AM2R? It isn't my favorite game or anything, but I thought it was incredibly successful at what it set out to do, and I certainly wouldn't call it janky.

It’s just bland. It’s definitely someone making Metroid 2 into super Metroid which is fine for a fan game I guess. At least Samus returns tried something different

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What weird universe did I wake up in where people are calling AM2R bland and Samus Returns not?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

What weird universe did I wake up in where people are calling AM2R bland and Samus Returns not?

The correct one probably, AM2R is by design bland. You can complain a lot about Samus Returns but bland is not one of them

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought they were both pretty good. I wouldn't call AM2R bland because while it didn't add a lot of new gameplay elements over the Super Metroid/Zero Mission stuff, it did some interesting reinterpretations of the fairly generic ruins from the original game and added some neat things like the ship on the surface and the power plant escape sequence.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

At least Samus returns tried something different

Different =/= better. I'd much rather play a M:SR that was designed around 8-directional aiming and no counter attack.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

WilliamAnderson posted:

So I still haven't heard anything from PowerA about when the GameCube style controllers will be coming to Canada, and whether or not the wireless ones have analog triggers and clickable thumbsticks. Starting to get annoyed.

Finally got a response, clickable thumbsticks yes, analog triggers no, gold and silver versions are GameStop US exclusive, not coming to Canada despite EB Games in Canada being owned by GameStop and basically being their outlet in Canada. They said that Walmart and Amazon will carry them in Canada, but there are no drat listings anywhere, going to order it from Amazon.com at this rate despite the stupid shipping/handling and customs fees. =/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I think AM2R is cool because it allows people who may have missed Metroid 2 or found it difficult to get into because of the hardware limitations an opportunity to play an upgraded version of it. It set out to do something very specific: upgrade the gameboy version to a SNES-style version with minimal changes and some added quality of life improvements. I think it accomplished what it set out to do, and it had a high attention to detail. Calling it "just another lovely fangame" is a surprisingly contemptuous criticism for a polished project at this scale that the team finished and released for free.

The worst thing about it is that the game it's a remake of wasn't the best source material.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 29, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If I start a general nintendo nerd argument thread will you all keep it to that or can you simply not help yourselves?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

Different =/= better. I'd much rather play a M:SR that was designed around 8-directional aiming and no counter attack.

Yeah as much as I want to like SR for actually trying to shake things up a bit, the end result just feels pretty awful for a bunch of reason. The 360 aim, controls, and new bosses being the biggest offenders by far.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Like most nintendo franchises, the best metroid was on the super nintendo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s obviously some lovely fan game because it’s free

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Reality Pisser posted:

Like most nintendo franchises, the best metroid was on the super nintendo.

:emptyquote:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can’t wait for the day when having bad video game opinions will get you the death penalty.

Then I’ll be dead and free of these arguments,.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kirios posted:

You're the only one having a weird meltdown, hombre. It's just video game chat? Funny how it's the spazzy posters who usually tell others to "calm down"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

EVERYONE CALM THE gently caress DOWN RIGHT NOW

EVERYTHING’S FINE

EVERYTHING’S FINE!!!!!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ok I swallowed my left JoyCon and feel better now.

Resume

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I was playing Dark Souls on the Switch at lunch today.

It was great!

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe
I just made up a rumor that the next Metroid will have weapon degradation. Thoughts?

AKA: jesus Christ this derail needs a derail STAT!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

Ok I swallowed my left JoyCon and feel better now.

Resume

What did it taste like

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Diversion?! Uhhhh

Starlink is still really fuckin' good?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KingSlime posted:

What did it taste like

Raw game cart.

Should’ve left it in the oven a few more minutes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samus Returns was pretty good for a dev's first crack at Metroid but it's pretty clunky compared to the SNES-GBA formula.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just ordered a Hori left joycon. Did I make a good choice? Why no rumble? I don't care about wireless because I use a pro controller in docked mode.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

saying the Nightmare boss in Fusion was a "standout" is still blowing my mind. Big loving sprite that takes up half the screen and moves around in a bullshit pattern as you wind down into a war of attrition with it, taking unavoidable damage.

Fusion is a great game but kind of a bad "Metroid game" since it does away with most of the series staples i.e. a sense of isolation, freedom of exploration, optional items but it's still a nice twist on the formula with the Alien kick and "action movie" feel. SA-X is a cool plot device. Fusion was actually the first Metroid game I played so it's a nice gateway towards Super/Zero Mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

saying the Nightmare boss in Fusion was a "standout" is still blowing my mind. Big loving sprite that takes up half the screen and moves around in a bullshit pattern as you wind down into a war of attrition with it, taking unavoidable damage.

tbh you just described a lot of 2d metroid bosses. Samus's movement has always been a little awkward (sluggish horizontal movement paired with extremely quick vertical movement and floaty air control), and the suit upgrades + and abundance of health upgrades throughout the games suggest that tanking a lot of damage was largely a design choice.