Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Poached turnips and radishes in white wine and butter are dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Casu Marzu posted:

Poached turnips and radishes in white wine and butter are dope

I'm roasting a chicken on a bed of turnips and potatoes and carrots in wine and I can't wait to slurp those greasy tubers in an hour or so. Been thinking about it all day.

Never hotted a radish but now I want to.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just had a horrifying three minutes between pulling the sealing knob off my instant pot and finding out it’s intended behavior and I should have been washing the thing all this time. 3 pound chuck roast in there, all ready for pot roast, and then off it came!

E: I wish I had turnips to go with this later.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Two quick questions:

1) what's the best way to store fresh ginger?

and

2) I have a bunch of frozen, bone-in chicken wings/thighs that have been in my freezer for far too long without purpose. I'm going to use them in my Instant Pot to make stock, but will I be able to retain the meat afterwards? No biggie if I can't, just curious.

Thanks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Two quick questions:

1) what's the best way to store fresh ginger?

Thanks!

Freeze it, you can grate it when frozen and it defrosts almost instantly

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

Freeze it, you can grate it when frozen and it defrosts almost instantly

I do this, but peeling it is a bit tricky frozen. I use a knife to slice off the skin, ending up with a fair bit of waste. Am I doing it wrong? What do others do?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

fart store posted:

I'm roasting a chicken on a bed of turnips and potatoes and carrots in wine and I can't wait to slurp those greasy tubers in an hour or so. Been thinking about it all day.

Know what I'm making this weekend now.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DasNeonLicht posted:

I do this, but peeling it is a bit tricky frozen. I use a knife to slice off the skin, ending up with a fair bit of waste. Am I doing it wrong? What do others do?
If you really need to remove the skin you can use the edge of a spoon or something, which will scrape the skin right off without taking much else.

But for most applications you don't really have to bother removing the skin at all.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Huh, I had no idea freezing it worked so well! Is that the best storage, even for like, shorter-term storage? Like I bought a chunk from the store and it's just chilling in the plastic bag with a loosely tied knot, hanging in my little hanging... basket thing. Is that cool?

I just made congee and didn't remove the skins though, I don't think I ever have before. Even when grating it, haha. :shrug:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Wacky Delly posted:

Know what I'm making this weekend now.

Well it was a little fryer and i cooked it til the breast and the thigh were reading 160 with a lovely analog meat thermometer. After i took it out to rest and finished off the veg at 400 for another 35 mins, I discovered the deep parts of the thighs were still raw.

I recommend considering that if your root veg isn't cooked by the time you're pulling your chicken, make sure the veg wasn't acting as a heat sink. Flip that feather boy over and let it ride another half hour so its rear end can cook.

Or just have a good thermometer and don't be an incompetent idiot.

I managed to salvage a lot of it but it was disappointing to lose my fav parts of the bird. The veg and pan sauce came out nice though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Turnips are also good pickled.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Huh, I had no idea freezing it worked so well! Is that the best storage, even for like, shorter-term storage? Like I bought a chunk from the store and it's just chilling in the plastic bag with a loosely tied knot, hanging in my little hanging... basket thing. Is that cool?
Ginger with the skin completely intact will keep fairly well on the countertop, but once you've broken the skin by cutting/grating off a hunk it'll keep better in a bag in the produce drawer of your fridge.

Ye olde schoole approach to preserving ginger is submerging it in spirits (like vodka), but if you want to preserve it for more than a couple weeks your best bet is the freezer.

You can also grow ginger as a container crop and just harvest it as you need it and not worry about the rest going bad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I am not very experienced with ginger but I've taken to just leaving it out. In a bag it gets soft. Haven't tried freezing. I did try vodka but it still got soft and tasted like alcohol. But I also don't chop it up and instead make ribbons with a potato peeler and fish them out after cooking (or eat them). There is a small outdoor market nearby that has never charged me for ginger, they always just wave at me to take it. I don't know if they don't sell much or because I'm only buying 1 piece at a time or what. So I don't really worry about it going bad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do the freezer thing. Super easy to scrape off the peel with a spoon when its frozen, ended up with a lot less waste than trying to peel it at room temp.

And you don't even need to peel it, really. I just do because...well, I don't know.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Freezing the ginger, it is! Thanks y'all. Any thoughts on...

Johnny Truant posted:

2) I have a bunch of frozen, bone-in chicken wings/thighs that have been in my freezer for far too long without purpose. I'm going to use them in my Instant Pot to make stock, but will I be able to retain the meat afterwards? No biggie if I can't, just curious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Freezing the ginger, it is! Thanks y'all. Any thoughts on...

I don't personally keep the meat I make stock with. Generally there isn't much anyway, but you've boiled/simmered all the flavor out of it (that is the goal, at least), and the process doesn't do great things for the texture either. I strain it out with all the aromatics and bones and throw it out.

If the wings are freezer burned, then the meat will have an even less pleasant texture.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would not eat pressure cooked meat for stock. It will be unpleasant, I’m just not exactly sure in which ways.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks y'all! Now I'm gonna have to grub down on this current batch of congee as quickly as possible so I can make some with the chicken stock :getin:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pressure cooked meat for stock is great dog scraps. Or shredded and mixed with rice and veg for the ultimate bargain bachelor bowl of a meal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When making stock for pho I'll boil a whole chicken for about 20 minutes, debone it, then add the carcass back to the pot so there's some meat for the finished soup. If all you have are wings then saving the meat won't really get you anything since there's so little meat attached.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's the best way to prepare squash for squash soup? I've got a pie pumpkin.

Also, about how much soup will I get with 1 pumpkin? It's about 3.5 lbs. I'm planning to use some veggie stock base and coconut milk.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And you don't even need to peel it, really. I just do because...well, I don't know.
It never occurred to me until right now that peeling ginger is optional. I mean, it makes total sense now I think of it - it's not like it has thick skin - but I guess I just assumed it was necessary. Huh. Thanks, thread!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bollock Monkey posted:

It never occurred to me until right now that peeling ginger is optional. I mean, it makes total sense now I think of it - it's not like it has thick skin - but I guess I just assumed it was necessary. Huh. Thanks, thread!

:same:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I stopped peeling ginger the last time we had this chat and didn’t notice a difference except that I didn’t have to peel anything.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My compromise is that I'll peel ginger, but I don't care about doing a lovely job about it anymore.

Also, if you want to hotten up some radish, go for daikon. It doesn't have the same kick as the little red kind of radish, but it's still tasty and has a really nice texture when cooked.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We never peeled ginger at the poke place I worked at take that as you will.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Wow I’m never peeling ginger again.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Another ginger question: Are the little ceramic graters worth it?

I normally don't grate, but rather slice it about as thin as a dime and leave those rounds whole in most stir-frys. But there are some cases where I want it finer, for textural reasons and mincing it can be a pain if it's a larger, tougher piece.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i like mine

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Weltlich posted:

Another ginger question: Are the little ceramic graters worth it?

I normally don't grate, but rather slice it about as thin as a dime and leave those rounds whole in most stir-frys. But there are some cases where I want it finer, for textural reasons and mincing it can be a pain if it's a larger, tougher piece.

You should go all out and get a shark skin grater.

I just use my microplane.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same, micro plane works fine for me. I had a grater and didn’t much care for it. Gave it to Croat. Think he thought it was a soap dish.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
What can I do with three and a half pounds of chuck roast beside just pot roast. Anything that can be done in five hours or less is ideal.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
Not peeling ginger just seems wrong somehow but I am willing to try it just for the sake of both saving a little time and 'well this guy said his poke place didn't peel it'. I will try it on the horde here - it will have to be in secret because there are shouts of mutiny when the ketchup label changes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there an easy way to grate ginger that doesn't involve picking out the stringy poo poo from the microplane after you're done

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chew on it and spit it into a bowl

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

Is there an easy way to grate ginger that doesn't involve picking out the stringy poo poo from the microplane after you're done

Wonder what it would do in a spice grinder?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Wonder what it would do in a spice grinder?

Probably make an awful, awful mess. Those spice grinders tend to work best when the stuff in them is nice and dry.

I have used a food processor before when making ginger snaps, but then the dough and all went into that and it worked pretty well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Make sure you're grating perpendicular to the grain. It gets stringier as it dries out, so using fresher ginger can help as well. And if nothing else works, freezing it first will make it easier to grate, regardless of consistency (whether it's dry and stringy or soft and mooshy).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

What can I do with three and a half pounds of chuck roast beside just pot roast. Anything that can be done in five hours or less is ideal.

That's a week's worth of chili right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Thanksgiving is approaching. Sort of. This year I am determined to wrest control of the turkey cooking from my parents, because they don't do a very good job of it. So this begs the question, how do you cook a turkey in the oven and not have it come out terribly dry?