Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
although I guess I can’t expect much sympathy from someone who thinks kids stuck in a cave is great joke material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

its really difficult to commit people in general so clearly there's some bullshit with that story.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dear Prudence posted:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/10/when-your-kids-ruin-your-friendships.html
Dog not welcome:
I live several hours away from my family and travel to them for the holidays. My parents recently purchased a new house and told everyone that it would be dog-free. We also have a vacation house nearby that is rented out for parts of the year. My dog is my best friend; more like family than a pet. He is a rescue with kennel anxiety, and his normal sitter does not keep dogs over the holidays. I mentioned staying at the vacation house so that my dog could still be with me for the holidays. My dad quickly informed me that it is also not pet-friendly, holding me to the same rules as the complete strangers who rent it. I asked in a very straightforward way if they would be OK trading away time with me during one of my few annual opportunities to visit by enforcing this new policy, which would require me to find and pay for somewhere else to stay and then run back and forth to check on my dog. The answer was yes.

I feel incredibly hurt by this. Both of my siblings have children who are way more destructive than my old dog, who sleeps 16 hours a day, has never had an accident inside, and has never chewed anything up. My parents told me their dogsitting days are over, but I’ve never once asked them to keep my dog or even watch my dog when I have visited in the past. He goes with me wherever I go and has never been their responsibility.

They have kept my siblings’ dogs and children hundreds of times over the years. My very pragmatic partner was present during the conversation and was even taken aback by the coldness from my parents (I was in tears and they didn’t flinch). My partner told me that I could go with him to his family celebration, which is near where I live. My parents would be very upset if I did this, and I would miss out on spending time with other family members. One of my siblings wants to intervene on my behalf. I’m not sure if it is worth the potential family drama. My parents were very clear about their new priorities. I feel like my parents are being dismissive and cruel by banning my best friend from their home. Am I being overly sensitive?
"Mah dog is like my baby and my best friend in one and keeping him out of your vacation home which I clearly do not own in any way and not allowing me special privileges not granted to anyone either in or outside of the family is literal abuse!!!!"

The 'coldness' she perceives is probably because she breaks down into an emotional bawler over every perceived slight so the parents obviously saw this poo poo coming and prepared accordingly.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 29, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Lmao at all these people trying to use sarcasm on the internet to further who knows what point.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

although I guess I can’t expect much sympathy from someone who thinks kids stuck in a cave is great joke material

Being stuck in a cave is better than being stuck in small town America because Elon Musk will build you a personalized mini submarine to extract you from a cave, the midwest not so much

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
you guys are making it seem like moving to find gainful employment (even when desperately poor) is a wholly new problem only experienced in the last 20 years and that no one could ever surmount it.

i don't see anyone saying it would be easy or fun in the short-term, but that's not the point is it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s got a lot worse in the last 20 yes

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gently caress Your Website posted:

"Mah dog is like my baby and my best friend in one and keeping him out of your vacation home which I clearly do not own in any way and not allowing me special privileges not granted to anyone either in or outside of the family is literal abuse!!!!"

The 'coldness' she perceives is probably because she breaks down into an emotional bawler over every perceived slight so the parents obviously saw this poo poo coming and prepared accordingly.

lmao yeah your dog sucks and your parents own. if you can't leave your pet to someone for a few days to look after, thats on you, not them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

How much could greyhound ticket to NYC even be? gently caress it, pack up and walk if you have to. Zero excuses

poo poo I've known dudes who rode in on freight trains as kids like a fuckin Tom Waits video, at my old house share just about everyone else had hopped over the border with their kids and the clothes on their back; the cost of transport is only one of the infinitely long line of totally insurmountable nonissues like "where will I live in a city, if not the penthouse suite" cause if these dudes were problem solvers they wouldn't be living in the crappy little town they hate

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 29, 2018

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

poo poo I've known dudes who rode in on freight trains as kids like a fuckin Tom Waits video, at my old house share just about everyone else had walked over the border with their kids and the clothes on their back; the cost of transport is only one of the infinitely long line of lame excuses like "where will I live in a city, if not the penthouse suite" cause if these dudes were problem solvers they wouldn't be living in the crappy little town they hate

And I now realize that my one great regret in moving across the country with $500 bucks to my name to start a new life is that I didn't ride into town on a freight train like a fuckin Tom Waits video!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

its really difficult to commit people in general so clearly there's some bullshit with that story.

What makes you think it's difficult or there is bullshit? Because it's really not. Dial 911, tell the operator [name] was telling you they were going to kill themself/hurt others and their location, and bam. Cops come by with an ambulance and take you to the nearest hospital. School counselors can do this real easy if they have a student's real name and be able to look up their dorm room information.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's sad how y'all regress straight into right wing talking points when the subject is something tied to your personal ego

but I guess some could have already just been stupid

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

72 hour holds are easy as gently caress to get

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s got a lot worse in the last 20 yes

no it hasn't

people would rather just buy a new cell phone every year and pay for data and KFC and gas to drive back and forth to their friends house to smoke weed and play video games than change their circumstances

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think a good-faith argument with Blood "you can say offensive things without believing them" Red is going to happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BloodRed posted:

no it hasn't

people would rather just buy a new cell phone every year and pay for data and KFC and gas to drive back and forth to their friends house to smoke weed and play video games than change their circumstances

It objectively has, this lovely right wing talking point has literally never been true

The idea the poor can just go and find gainful employment is a silly middle class idea

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

BloodRed posted:

i don't see anyone saying it would be easy or fun in the short-term, but that's not the point is it?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

72 hour holds are easy as gently caress to get

Yeah. Wasn't there one' r/elationship story where a guy was 'pranked' by his friend via getting sectioned, and was asking how to sue them for damages because he lost his job from not showing up? I half remember that. The cops were like 'welp someone called us and we have to take you because otherwise if something did happen, we failed to act' or something like that. His friends were bragging about the prank on their facebooks.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
undersexed computer men tug tug tugging on their fat little chodes itt

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

What makes you think it's difficult or there is bullshit? Because it's really not. Dial 911, tell the operator [name] was telling you they were going to kill themself/hurt others and their location, and bam. Cops come by with an ambulance and take you to the nearest hospital. School counselors can do this real easy if they have a student's real name and be able to look up their dorm room information.

If it just took a phone call to SWAT somebody into involuntary no vaguely weird child of a conservative family would ever spend a night outside. The commitment may well have been bullshit but there is zero possiblity that's the whole story

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 30, 2018

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
its cool how the involuntarily committed are financially on the hook for their involuntary imprisonment too. nothing better for suicidal ideation than a 4 digit bill imo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ocean Book posted:

its cool how the involuntarily committed are financially on the hook for their involuntary imprisonment too. nothing better for suicidal ideation than a 4 digit bill imo

4 digit bill, lmao. Try 5.

E: and even if you have insurance, a company can say they don't cover 'psychiatric emergencies'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 30, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

I know we all hate rural towns but come on

People who are foreverially trapped in a specific big city are basically the same, like how many people move away for a stint of college and then wind up right back in the same metropolitan area? But then I'm not the kind of person who would be interested in taking care of a sick parent

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

it's sad how y'all regress straight into right wing talking points when the subject is something tied to your personal ego

I was taking the piss to mock the dipshit that said you can't reconnect with those you 'left behind.'

Cythereal covered the obvious reasons people might not choose to move to the enlightened zone.

El_Elegante posted:

Lmao at all these people trying to use sarcasm on the internet to further who knows what point.

Which I guess was problematic.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm not leaving my backwater part of the country because I actually like living here.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Whorelord posted:

I'm not leaving my backwater part of the country because I actually like living here.

If I were Lord of Whoretown, I'd also never leave. Probably. Depends. Do you get decent internet speeds? That's dealbreaker for me. No amount of secksy ladies of the nights can compete with an instagram feed of puppies and kitties.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I can't believe these loving MILLENNIALS think it's hard to move. Just go, idiots! It's definitely very easy to find a job that can pay you enough to afford rent, and it's also incredibly easy to find a place that's affordable to rent! Cars are cheap and public transportation is widely available!

You loving piece of poo poo morons. You loving idiots.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
We have the same issue in the UK and I'm afraid I am condemned to die in the small town of my birth, Turd-Upon-Pratt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As far as I'm concerned, the small rural town I'm from and still live in has a lot of problems, but it could also be a lot worse and there are cities in Florida I have interviewed at that I would not consider improvements, like West Palm Beach and Jacksonville and Panama City. If I was offered a job in my field in the likes of Tampa or Orlando or Daytona Beach, I'd gladly move. Until then, I have decent internet and a Publix in walking distance. Not ideal, but could be much worse.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

big dyke energy posted:

I can't believe these loving MILLENNIALS think it's hard to move. Just go, idiots! It's definitely very easy to find a job that can pay you enough to afford rent, and it's also incredibly easy to find a place that's affordable to rent! Cars are cheap and public transportation is widely available!

You loving piece of poo poo morons. You loving idiots.

No wonder so many Americans are against immigration; someone of lesser breeding and standing than some small town dipshit manages to do the impossible feat of improving their lives, from a tremendous disadvantage!

Actually perhaps it's this powerful own of the "disadvantaged" Americans that makes them like this..

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

hawowanlawow posted:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

tactlessbastard posted:

How much could greyhound ticket to NYC even be? gently caress it, pack up and walk if you have to. Zero excuses

lol at fuckin madonna over here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [23f] boyfriend's [26m] mom says he has to come to her Christmas parties every year even when he's married

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and it's been wonderful. Last year, I went to his family's Thanksgiving with him since we don't get to see them as much (they live 2 hours away while my own family is near us). I was also going to go to his family's Christmas Eve, but he ended up going alone since I felt obligated to spend it with my own family due to a health crisis with one of my family members.

This year's Christmas, I definitely want to spend with my family since it will be the first one my mom has without her mother (my grandma passed away recently). So, since my boyfriend's mom has two parties, one on Christmas Eve and one on the Day, and mine only has one party on the Eve, I asked him if he would spend Christmas Eve with my family and we could go to his for Christmas Day. He said his mom wouldn't let him, she'd told him even when he gets married he needs to come to her Christmas parties.

What the hell? Am I crazy? He's told me before that he wants to marry me and have kids. This response made me cry a bit (I know, I'm over emotional sometimes) and I asked him if this means we're never going to spend a Christmas together with my family, and I said you're my boyfriend not your mom's (I apologized later, I overreacted). This led to him shutting down but eventually agreeing to go to both parties. I just don't want him to only be agreeing because I was hurt and he wanted it over with. I also don't want to start a fight with his mom.

Tl;dr I asked my boyfriend to split up Christmas parties so we could see both of our families this year. He said his mom would be angry if he didn't go to both of her Christmas parties. Am I wrong to think this is a problem?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol at the idea of Greyhound to NYC with no plans.

At the same time guys like, moving is a thing. Millions of people do it. It's as wrong to suggest its impossible as it is to suggest its easy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol at "mom won't let me" at 26 you absolute goober. Why would any woman touch a man like this?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I swear I read that as her son has to wear his Christmas panties and I laughed a long time

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [28F] found out my husband [29M] of 2 years has been going to a "naked yoga" group?

quote:

Not sure what to make of this. If anyone knows about the site Meetup, my husband joined it when we moved after getting married in 2016. I already had some friends in our city but he didn't so he joined to meet new people. He's a very social person and likes trying new activities, more than me actually. He usually does something every weekend.

Well... I was on our shared desktop while my PC was doing updates. I went to check the date of a meetup we both want to go to. My husband's account was logged in and I saw at the top of the page that his next scheduled event is something called "naked yoga for men". He'd never mentioned this group to me before.

I asked him about it (yay communication!) and he kept repeating "it's not weird, we just relax and do yoga". I never said it was weird, all I said was "I saw you're going to Naked Yoga on Sunday? Is there a Clothed Yoga group too?" trying to make a joke. He got angry at me for going to the site, said I was snooping when I really wasn't... we both use that computer, I was online for 10 minutes tops to answer email and just thought to check meetup. I didn't even click on the event itself.

His reaction made me think something weird is going on. I already wondered about the group as soon as I saw the name, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Nudity doesn't have to be sexual. They could just be a bunch of naturalist hippies. But why would he never have brought up this group before, then? If it's really nothing more nothing less than what the name says?

Specifically I'm worried this has some dual purpose of being an erotic setting for gay and bi guys, who I'm totally cool with, except as far as I've ever known my husband is straight.

He said he's been going for a few weeks and has made friends with the other guys. I've known whenever he's gone out, but he was telling me it was for an indoor sports meetup. Is a naked yoga group with other men something straight guys would typically go to?

I trust him, he has never given me any reason not to. Am I being paranoid/need to let this go, or do you think I should get more answers?

tl;dr: My husband attends a male nude yoga meetup event, is this inherently sexual?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that post owns. Good luck with your husband. I hope he’s really just an emphatic nudist and he uses this opportunity to learn how to communicate better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not inherently sexual, but thats sort of like saying an absolute monarchy isnt inherently a repressive government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

El_Elegante posted:

that post owns. Good luck with your husband. I hope he’s really just an emphatic nudist and he uses this opportunity to learn how to communicate better.

Maybe they're all a bunch of genital puppeteers!