Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rich is OK!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1145.html

Odin isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

drat hyborians!!! :argh:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Norse pantheon continues to be solid gold.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AnoHito posted:

The Norse pantheon continues to be solid gold.

It's a shame we probably won't get similar characterization for the other pantheons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aww, Durkon. :unsmith:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Odin... can be interpreted in ways that make sense, strangely enough.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"My hands are hand-sized" is a solid line.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So Durkon knows that Odin's priest had him exiled, but he doesn't know that there's no record of that. I wonder where that's going.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am gonna go ahead and say that one of Odin's ramblings is a 100% valid prediction that will play an insanely important role during the endgame

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I am gonna go ahead and say that one of Odin's ramblings is a 100% valid prediction that will play an insanely important role during the endgame

I'm betting my chips on "You can boot off a floppy, but don't pull it out in the middle". It will turn out that the entire comic is actually a 1980's text adventure being played on an Apple II, and the Snarl is a computer glitch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Odin is a Malkavian apparently.

Calaveron posted:

Well, let's see. We already have "worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn" from the Godsmoot. Former is a clear reference to the planet in the rift, while the latter could be a reference to the Snarl doing stuff with that world in there, or possibly something like the Dark One (or another ascended person perhaps) aiding in sealing the Snarl or forming a new world, i.e. a being created in this world, a process compared to weaving or knitting, wielding godly powers of creation, or being the weaver now, themselves.

In this comic, meanwhile...

"Spindles wind the string forward, but not back." More string imagery, might be a reference to the flow of time or something? "Loops and twirls," feels like it might be related to one or both of those things as well, and/or a transition into the next one. (Well, the one after "It's a mango!" I have no idea if that one means anything or is just wackiness.)

"Hoops have no end, until suddenly they do." My immediate impression is something about breaking cycles, and they are trying to break the cycle of world creation and destruction.

"You can boot off a floppy, but don't pull it out in the middle." Computer-themed now. Reference to a start/creation process, and the importance of not stopping it partway through. Odin's one of the gods against abandoning this world.

"My hands are hand-sized!" Pretty sure this one's just more silliness.

I was half-joking before but this really is reminding me of the VtM: Bloodlines Malkavian. Which I'm fine with because they were the best character choice there anyway, and seeing how even their wacky bullshit wound up being relevant or foreshadowing (or directly calling people out to their faces in ways they didn't get) was fun. Shame most people played them just for the "randomness" in the RPG from what I hear.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Roland Jones posted:

Odin is a Malkavian

so what we are seeing here is fish odin

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Seriously, though, beyond just wanting to help out the Dark One, I think Loki might be trying to save his dad. Cause he sure as gently caress isn't going to have a few hundred years of worship to recover if the plug gets pulled.

Which, I think, might be what the booting from the floppy part means, especially considering what it's a reply to.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so what we are seeing here is fish odin

"It's a mango!" Mango Odin. Mangodin.

my dad posted:

Seriously, though, beyond just wanting to help out the Dark One, I think Loki might be trying to save his dad. Cause he sure as gently caress isn't going to have a few hundred years of worship to recover if the plug gets pulled.

Which, I think, might be what the booting from the floppy part means, especially considering what it's a reply to.

That's possible, yeah. Definitely an interesting idea. Also even if he made it through, since he probably has tons of souls from being the head of the Northern pantheon and all, he'd probably still be out of it by the time the new world rolled around, and between Hel's newfound power and Odin being in this state for the creation of a new/another world, it'd probably be a huge mess.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man, it really is a miracle that Durkon turned out as good as he did, isn't it? Just imagine how poo poo would be going right now if it was literally anyone else, the world would probably already be doomed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I enjoyed Durkon's "Aye! It was a total disaster! But na a random disaster!" because I've had similar reactions to real-life situations too. :allears:

Odin's ramblings are definitely tied to the endgame in some way; it's not hard to see what "hoops have no end, until suddenly they do" could mean, i.e. breaking the cycle. The "booting off a floppy" part is a bit more vague, though. It could mean the unraveling of the universe, or maybe the unraveling of the Snarl, but then I don't know what "pull it out in the middle" could be referring to.

e:

my dad posted:

Oh I like this interpretation too

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

I enjoyed Durkon's "Aye! It was a total disaster! But na a random disaster!" because I've had similar reactions to real-life situations too. :allears:

Odin's ramblings are definitely tied to the endgame in some way; it's not hard to see what "hoops have no end, until suddenly they do" could mean, i.e. breaking the cycle. The "booting off a floppy" part is a bit more vague, though. It could mean the unraveling of the universe, or maybe the unraveling of the Snarl, but then I don't know what "pull it out in the middle" could be referring to.

The floppy means that the snarl is actually making it's own universe and worlds with the places it's eating, and is busy forming a higher level god, so killing it now would be hella bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Post poste posted:

The floppy means that the snarl is actually making it's own universe and worlds with the places it's eating, and is busy forming a higher level god, so killing it now would be hella bad.

My Prediction: The Snarl in fact has created it's own world, with people, within its pocket universe. However, the Snarl is composed of pure malevolence and hatred, and so torments the inhabitants constantly. Pulling the plug on the Snarl will destroy that world; our heroes debate whether that would be a good or bad thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I was really expecting the explanation to be "yeah, this is what he's like while he's waiting for Hugin and Munin to get back".

But then, maybe they're his support animals now :unsmith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Based on the description of "northern barbarians" from the previous world, it could be that the last world was Conan's Hyborea. In which case, Odin would have been Crom, focused on the chooser of the slain part of Odin's usual portfolio. This would be movie Conan, who mentions Valhalla, as opposed to book or comics Conan, mind.

You know, that could explain why Loki screwed Hel with the deal. If she's only getting non-heroic dwarves, then Odin should be getting a much higher percentage of the slain than would normally be the case, likely hastening his recovery from getting hosed up by the Cimmerians.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just want to say since I made mango moose yesterday, that mangos are a tangled mess of string inside.

And I think all the string stuff is a metaphor for strings of fate.

He can see the future but not remember the past. Like that one pretentious movie

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Post poste posted:

It's Odin trying to say that he'll be fine, but he really doesn't need the world ending right now. He hasn't recovered yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

I just want to say since I made mango moose yesterday, that mangos are a tangled mess of string inside.

And I think all the string stuff is a metaphor for strings of fate.

He can see the future but not remember the past. Like that one pretentious movie

Ah. I wasn't familiar with the insides of mangoes, so this is new to me. Thanks for the information.

Though, a round-ish object with string inside seems like it could just be a reference to, well, the Snarl within the world and all. The "sees forward better than backward" thing makes sense and is similar to what I was thinking though.

wiegieman posted:

It's Odin trying to say that he'll be fine, but he really doesn't need the world ending right now. He hasn't recovered yet.

Yeah, that's probably a better interpretation than what I was thinking above, since it's a more direct response to what's being said.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 30, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still say it's plot threads.

Props to Durkon for not immediately panicking when Thor said his dad was here, since usually the presence of a father just fucks everything right up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Loki making that deal with Hel to save his dad is just, especially remember the MCU Thor movies is just so :3:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Raenir Salazar posted:

Loki making that deal with Hel to save his dad is just, especially remember the MCU Thor movies is just so :3:

Oh, dang, you're right; that suddenly makes a lot of sense now.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Loki was also the main advocate against destroying the world.

I think Loki is just generally a good (evil) guy in this universe.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AnoHito posted:

Loki was also the main advocate against destroying the world.

I think Loki is just generally a good (evil) guy in this universe.

One of Rich's things is that pure evil is all but impossible once you understand someone's motivations. Though petty spite and selfishness is, which is why all we ever see of Xykon's motives is those two things done in the moment for the moment.

But you could see redcloak's views or even actions as being totally reasonable depending on your outlook.

Putting the evil label on Loki is all but meaningless given that the gods basically get along and want the best for their followers

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

My Prediction: The Snarl in fact has created it's own world, with people, within its pocket universe. However, the Snarl is composed of pure malevolence and hatred, and so torments the inhabitants constantly. Pulling the plug on the Snarl will destroy that world; our heroes debate whether that would be a good or bad thing.

The psychic couldn't find any life in the rift, though. Seems the Snarl can create a world because it's a mish-mash of god quiddities but as its dads were bad it doesn't have the know-how to make life.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still say it's plot threads.

Props to Durkon for not immediately panicking when Thor said his dad was here, since usually the presence of a father just fucks everything right up.

Durkon's bad father experience was not having one, though. He likes his father and looks up to him.

And is a father himself, unlike the other protagonists. If dad-proximity were an issue for him he'd be in trouble, as would the team after his resurrection. (Thor's a father too, on that topic. How's the comic on grandfathers? Outside of Odin the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Horace, and while he was a bad father for Eugene he was positive for Roy.)

Oh, wait, that's how this will end. World is destroyed because it's up to Durkon, noted Bad Dad, to save it. RIP.

...He actually is probably going to be a less-than-ideal father for Kudzu, since saving the world us a task he can't exactly abandon and I don't see Hilgya joining the team permanently, so he's going to be out of the kid's life for at least a little while longer.

This post was meant to be a joking retort but I kept thinking about things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Roland Jones posted:

...He actually is probably going to be a less-than-ideal father for Kudzu, since saving the world us a task he can't exactly abandon and I don't see Hilgya joining the team permanently, so he's going to be out of the kid's life for at least a little while longer.

This post was meant to be a joking retort but I kept thinking about things.

I think less than ideal is still pretty good for the OotS. He knows he has a kid, and he's Durkon. He's going to try and be the best dad he can, which really is about all you can ask for out of someone. He's not going to abandon the kid by the side of the road or leave him to be tutored by a vampire.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Hilgya also doesn't want Durkon to be a part of their son's life

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I mean, Hilgya blames Durkon for being an absentee father, but she never bothered to Send to Durkon either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

seaborgium posted:

I think less than ideal is still pretty good for the OotS. He knows he has a kid, and he's Durkon. He's going to try and be the best dad he can, which really is about all you can ask for out of someone. He's not going to abandon the kid by the side of the road or leave him to be tutored by a vampire.

Oh, yeah, of course. Also abandoning the world would be a far worse thing to do, even from the perspective of Durkon as a father and nothing else, so he can't really be blamed for that. It was just a realization I had; Durkon is going to have been off saving the world and/or dead for a lot of his son's life.

What I'm trying to say is that Durkon is Goku.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I mean, Hilgya blames Durkon for being an absentee father, but she never bothered to Send to Durkon either.

I'm bad at remembering, but wasn't Durkon under the Cloister effect as well?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Post poste posted:

I'm bad at remembering, but wasn't Durkon under the Cloister effect as well?

Nah, he was on the boat, so he didn't get Cloistered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Durkon and Hilga talking it out after he gets rezz'd is going to be an amazing strip; because Durkon's matured a bit since then and will probably try to offer some sort of reconciliation which will cause a BSOD in Hilga who won't have any idea how to respond since it breaks all of her preconceived notions.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
durkon's cut from exactly the same cloth as the goody two shoes first husband hilgya spent most of her life trying to elaborately assassinate or ruin. there's no way she won't despise him

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ideally Durkon takes Kudzu from Hilgya because Hilgya is clearly a Bad Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
She did later realize that her husband wasn't the problem in her arranged marriage, so I wouldn't say her realizing that Durkon's not bad isn't impossible. Not likely perhaps, but not impossible.

Tangent, I reread some of the early strips recently, and Hilgya actually was being threatened with crossbows into her marriage in the strip where she shared her backstory. She mentioned that when talking about her post-Durkon adventures and I took it at face value, but I didn't remember them actually being drawn in the original strip. As she later admitted, she misplaced her blame, but I can see how being threatened with weapons (and implied to have been locked up before or after that) into a marriage while the person you're being forced to marry declared how happy he was about it would leave someone bitter. Her not realizing that he really meant everything he said and thinking he was mocking her with his talk about how mich he loved her, the offers of foot massages, etc is kind of understandable.

She still has huge problems with accepting responsibility and how she rewrites events in her head to fit her narrative and such, but in retrospect she wasn't as unreasonable as she appeared at first glance.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 30, 2018