Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Arist posted:

This whole concept is so rich. if you're gonna willingly skip past scenes for no good reason at least have the dignity to not ask for loving context on the poo poo you don't understand. That's hilarious to me.

I only asked about it because I was surprised at how little it appeared to matter. 75% of an episode shouldn't be able to be lit on fire like that. I didn't ask about Foggy/Karen conversation #4 in episode 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Foggy and Karen are great for coming up with plans that don't work, but take up 1/3 of the series runtime.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

LinYutang posted:

Foggy and Karen are great for coming up with plans that don't work, but take up 1/3 of the series runtime.

I've been trying to figure out why I find foggy and Karen so annoying. I think it's because those characters are essentially the writers vehicle to pad out a full season of content, but the actors suck and airnt given any sort of compelling story.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The actor playing foggy is too real. But he seems like a software engineer and not a lawyer.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This show would be better if it ejected Karen/Foggy as main cast members and then edited the show down to about 8 episodes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I don't think 8 straight hours of Matt would work dude. He's too intense, you need a breather once in a while.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Foggy is superfluous, but Karen actually has a well rounded character of being both vulnerable but extremely dangerous. And if i'm right and they do do Typhoid Mary next season she would make a great foil to Mary as Mary is the most extreme example of vulnerable and dangerous in her identity plus beingthe sort of erotic edgy sexy that Matt falls over himself for. They tried to show this with Elektra but God they did not do it well as well the Elektra character was terrible - loving Black Sky.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Field Mousepad posted:

I don't think 8 straight hours of Matt would work dude. He's too intense, you need a breather once in a while.

That and once you've seen one episode about Matt being tormented and struggling with the choice to kill or not, you've seen em all.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Karen and Foggy are both great and y'all are crazy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Netflix is a lot of things but they aren’t actually stupid, and now that the initial shock of Luke Cage getting cancelled has worn off, I really expect Heroes for Hire to get announced by (Sweet) Christmas.

I doubt this is happening. Netflix wants to give out good news, not bad news, for the sake of their investors if not their subscribers.

If they were really doing this, they'd have announced it at the same time they cancelled Luke Cage. Probably spun it as something like "Next Season of Luke Cage is adapting Heroes For Hire". Talk about how they're consolidating, and how it's a good business decision and it's a reaction to their fans and they love their fans and the characters and blah blah blah.

Noticeably, the Disney spin machine has said sweet fa about all this.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The more original films Netflix makes, and the more Marvel shows with seasons longer than they need to be, the more I feel like it's time Netflix started making other, non-theatrical released Marvel movies instead of TV shows. It'd be cheaper to produce, and easier to tie into the main MCU since they wouldn't have to worry about the timing so much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why would Disney ever go for that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I'm getting tired of the Karen-Matt will-they-or-won't-they for another problem I have with this season. For gently caress's sake pull the trigger on them having a serious relationship or have them both move on, it's been three seasons now and they're still nebulously attracted to each other but not making serious steps.

It wasn't really a will they won't they in this season, tho? Karen was pretty much done with him for a good bit there, and the only tension they had was the chemistry of exes who broke up when they didn't really want to. It certainly wasn't really a plot point beyond Sister Maggie seeing there was or had been something there before.

Forreal tho if you're watching a Daredevil show you best get used to him being in many diff on again off again relationships tbh

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I'm getting tired of the Karen-Matt will-they-or-won't-they for another problem I have with this season. For gently caress's sake pull the trigger on them having a serious relationship or have them both move on, it's been three seasons now and they're still nebulously attracted to each other but not making serious steps.

poo poo, there are people out there thinking Foggy and Karen are a thing. Shows how badly things are being interpreted by the people watching the show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

poo poo, there are people out there thinking Foggy and Karen are a thing. Shows how badly things are being interpreted by the people watching the show.

I think that's just people being stupid and not paying attention.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Field Mousepad posted:

I don't think we've seen him go camping once in the series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My problem with foggy is the costuming. When they try and go for the disheveled look with his tie hanging out it just looks so unnatural and forced.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think we've seen him go camping once in the series.

He was totally camping in that church duh

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Foggy would be welcome if he was actually good comic relief in a show that is relentlessly grimdark, but he is not.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
it would also be nice if he could act at all, but unless they kill him and replace him with Fuggy Noolson, that ship has sailed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He'll always be that kid from The Mighty Ducks to me. Also the best friend in The Butterfly Effect.

He's not a very good actor but, in this season anyway, he's gotten better. He suits Foggy well enough.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

He'd be way better if they didn't make so much of the "should I kill even though I'm a Catholic?" thing so often.

I'd also like modify what I said; this show should be about 8 episodes long, but Karen is a far better character this season and the poor casting of Foggy is damaging his scenes.

That said, Cox, D'Onofrio and the action scenes are getting better and better, so they balance things out a bit.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why did the Julie girl randomly text Pondexter that she didn't want to talk to him anymore after they had what seemed like a positive coffee date? It triggered me

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was Fisk. Or his employee most likely.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ben and Julie had their date in the coffee shop. Five minutes later Julie is killed by the painters while Felix holds her phone up so the security camera can see. Five minutes later Ben's number is blocked by "Julie." We saw the whole thing play out on screen in the span of ten minutes, but who watches ten consecutive minutes of TV anymore?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Heathen posted:

Ben and Julie had their date in the coffee shop. Five minutes later Julie is killed by the painters while Felix holds her phone up so the security camera can see. Five minutes later Ben's number is blocked by "Julie." We saw the whole thing play out on screen in the span of ten minutes, but who watches ten consecutive minutes of TV anymore?

In their defence I had to rewatch that scene after it happened as it wasn't clear it was Julie at first glance - the camera made faces hard to see they really should have used a strong give away costume element like a bright yellow top or something or even a flower.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Heathen posted:

Probably fastforwarded the scene, duh !!!

tbf tho a lot of people didn't catch that being Julie in the hall, since it's seen on CCTV. Her outfit is p recognizable tho since we see her jogging so much, and she just had coffee with Dex in it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the virgin show watcher

the chad scene skipper/synopsis requester

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Who do people who don't recognize Julie think Fisk is having killed in that scene? "Huh, I guess Fisk is killing some random girl right after Dex finished talking to Julie. Whatever."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Who do people who don't recognize Julie think Fisk is having killed in that scene? "Huh, I guess Fisk is killing some random girl right after Dex finished talking to Julie. Whatever."

Yes, exactly. It was just confirmation that 'Shock and awe' Fisk was up to shady dealings once again.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
We had this discussion like 1-2 pages ago where a few of us said exactly this. The scene had a weird camera angle and was played so low key that we went "Who the gently caress just got popped?"

Are you not reading the thread?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Part of what makes that scene so good though is low key casualness of it. Goons still bad at watching tv.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They could have followed Julie, played ominous music, built up suspense, etc, but the way it was done was so detached and cold that it helped build up Kingpin in a chilling way a more traditional shooting of it wouldn't have. We get that people like that aren't even worthy of anything but cursory attention to make sure its done. Theres so little value from his point of view, given to the lives hes destroying that we aren't even treated to a dramatic emotional death.

The care of preparing an omelette is vastly more important to him than ending someones life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's not like they were subtle about it either. I was sleepwatching through the episode (I literally can not recollect the scene you guys are talking about) but my brain still went, 'uh yeah she's dead' because the sequence of events was:

1. They talk in the cafe, she agrees to help
2. It is revealed that Kingpin is ominously watching through a camera
3. She tells him off and blocks her for no reason later the same day

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Heathen posted:

It wasn't a punchmans scene, I fast forwarded through it. :smug:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They aren't dating? Again, not a punchmans scene. :smug:

I mean... look. If there's an obvious cut in any scene, I'm gonna fast forward it. I nearly saw five scenes in the last season of Iron Fist and frankly I'm better than all of you, with plenty of time to post about it with all I save fast forwarding though inferior quality punchmans drama.

:agesilaus:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

esperterra posted:

Forreal tho if you're watching a Daredevil show you best get used to him being in many diff on again off again relationships tbh

I dunno, that doesn't seem to apply to Netflix Daredevil. Matt's mostly a broody angry guilt-ridden antihero sort and across three and a half seasons has only noticeably flirted with two women.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, that doesn't seem to apply to Netflix Daredevil. Matt's mostly a broody angry guilt-ridden antihero sort and across three and a half seasons has only noticeably flirted with two women.

Until he starts loving Mary.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cythereal posted:

Depends on how the next season pans out, if it gets another season. I could easily see him and Karen having another go at it. If Elektra shows up again there's 0 doubt in my mind they will go straight to bone town once more.

But yeah in general the show hasn't given him much room to really have an on again off again, other than Elektra returning-- though we didn't really experience much of their relationship before that, barring a couple flashbacks.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's kind of depressing that, for all of its faults, Affleck's Daredevil did a better job dealing with Matt's love life than three seasons of a show. He stumbles into his apartment, listens to a Dear John message on his answering machine, and pops a bunch of oxy as he showers. Then his new girlfriend gets killed by some rear end in a top hat who doesn't even have a costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's sad the Affleck movie is the best adaptation of the Elektra stuff.