Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

To be honest, until now, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be horror.

It started that way and was even playing off that sorta thing, "You're gonna go exploring this old animation studio and it's old timey not-Disney black and white cartoons but things are looking screwy from the start and oh holy hell"

Then as they randomly do, the game managed to inadvertently strike Horror Youtube™ fad gold, after which the game's production starting twisting all over the place with the advent of their newfound piles of money. The more horror-y bits were pushed hard to the side to make it into this Bioshock-lite feel instead, they started doing That Thing where they scrawl ambiguous "plot" on the walls for Game Theory™ channels to overanalyze, they got youtubers to provide voices for the audio logs they started using more, they added really poor combat but at the same time there were pretty obvious signs they also wanted to court a much younger audience for maximum moolah, so the combat was really tepid "Bop the slow enemies a time or two" and the game spontaneously started giving you "GO HERE AND DO THIS STUPID" hints if you weren't instantly progressing, episode 3 or 4 had a section where you went through a "plushy factory" area of the studio/lot coincidentally as they also started selling plushies in their site's merch store, just god almighty, I already said it but SOLD OUT is still the best way to sum it up. Capitalism wastes another cool concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm watching a video of what seems to be chapter... 3, I think, and I really can't understand how that even took off so much to begin with. It all looks incredibly bland and basic. The episodes are really short and there's no gameplay to speak of. The graphic are fairly unique, but I'm getting real tired of black and sepia already. John Wolfe certainly seems to kinda hate it, he usually seems to have more fun than this even when he plays garbage.

I dunno why anyone would pay six dollars per episode.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

John Wolfe certainly seems to kinda hate it, he usually seems to have more fun than this even when he plays garbage.

After what happened to Hello Neighbor and how people would instantly hound him when new FNAFs came out and then bug out if he got some minute lore tidbit wrong, I think he finally came to a head with those types of games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

It will eventually. I'm sure a lot of us remember all the many merchandising lines associated with the various Power Ranger etc. knockoffs of the 90s that died quick and ignoble deaths because every last one of them was obvious garbage even when you were a kid. Gamers have notoriously awful taste and fiscal sensibility, but that kind of trend can't last forever and will just predictably result in a lot of merchandise ending up in tomorrow's attics' Cardboard Box of Shame again.

I want to believe it's kids being raised on youtube that get their parents to buy it and not grown adults but kids are even worse when it comes to chasing trends

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm watching a video of what seems to be chapter... 3, I think, and I really can't understand how that even took off so much to begin with. It all looks incredibly bland and basic. The episodes are really short and there's no gameplay to speak of. The graphic are fairly unique, but I'm getting real tired of black and sepia already. John Wolfe certainly seems to kinda hate it, he usually seems to have more fun than this even when he plays garbage.

I dunno why anyone would pay six dollars per episode.

Like Hello Neighbor, the first two episodes/updates showed promise then pooped the bed with the third episode/update.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Len posted:

I want to believe it's kids being raised on youtube that get their parents to buy it and not grown adults but kids are even worse when it comes to chasing trends
Going by personal experience, that seems to be how most toy sales appear to work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Going by personal experience, that seems to be how most toy sales appear to work.

It just feels like grown adults buying toys to store are everywhere and I just want to dream that kids are getting toys based in videogames and not grown adults

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
but you yourself are an adult buying toys if you purchase video games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Large adult toys

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

It just feels like grown adults buying toys to store are everywhere and I just want to dream that kids are getting toys based in videogames and not grown adults
Might just be from all the hanging about on internet boards about video games. Makes you run into the man-child types disproportionately more often.

quote:

but you yourself are an adult buying toys if you purchase video games?
Dunno about that. I mean, game theorists/anthropologists could go into the difference between games with rules and victory conditions and (collectible) toys for make-believe and role-playing there, that's a thing. To me, though, it's mostly the difference between buying a pack of skat cards and buying a barbie doll. One is for playing a game, the other is just for playing.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 28, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deep Lore is a blight upon video games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My one data point to contribute is that I went to a Halloween festival thing down in Irvine last weekend and saw a kid dressed up as Bendy, the day after I saw a kid at a restaurant wearing a Baldi's Basics cap.

Anyway, this is the last bit of Curator Connect dreck that I'll be covering this year. The final three games of this series will all be extremely notable in their own ways.

1. Little Nightmares
2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
4. Rise of Insanity
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
8. INFERNIUM
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
14. Observer
15. Dark Deception
16. Cultist Simulator
17. House of Evil
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE
20. Sagebrush
21. The Painscreek Killings
22. A Room Beyond
23. The Evil Within
24. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
25. Dead Secret Circle
26. Disturbed: Beyond Aramor
27. Lucie

28. Play With Me

I’m a big fan of puzzles, but I can also be pretty picky about them. I enjoy puzzles that present all the information you need to solve them up front, and then leave it to you to make the logical connections. That means I don’t care much for puzzles that expect you to do massive experimentation to reach the answer, like those super hardcore ones that present you an image and expect you to dive into the file metadata to find your clues. Play With Me doesn’t go that far but it expects a lot of the player, between its unexplained mechanics and tenuous leaps of logic. And that might even be okay, if not for a boatload of additional problems.

You are Robert Hawk, and investigative journalist on the trail of Illusion, an elusive serial killer. Your car crashes on the way to somewhere with your wife Sara, and you awaken in a dingy, green-tinted locker room. It seems Illusion was on your trail as well, and now you’ve got to play his game to escape his clutches. His game, as it turns out, is hiding door codes all over this dismal place in little fragments, forcing you to shove crates, calibrate monitors, and cut open corpses to find everything you need to get doors open. You might also need to contend with evil puppets, inject yourself with green goo, and suffer a bunch of lame jumpscares, but it’s mainly the door code thing.

Play With Me plays much like a point-and-click or even hidden object game, presenting you with a scene and expecting you to puzzle your way through it. There are items to collect and notes to skim, but the focus of every room is the keypad that unlocks the door to the next room. As you progress the codes will become more complex, requiring you to find multiple notes scattered around and combine the numbers and letters found on them in the right order. You might need to work out the name and password for a computer to get them, you might need to squeegee blood off a wall for a code, or you might need to hold up a drat mirror to your monitor to read a note the right way.

Clever puzzles are always a joy but the ones here are trying too hard to be clever, and end up sailing past that mark to frustrating. The third room, for example, is an absolute orgy of clues and riddles scribbled all over the place in ultraviolet ink and they have to be combined to make codes, so if you screw up one part of a clue it’s going to throw the whole thing off. There’s a note that looks like letters but some of the letters are supposed to be numbers but other letters are just letters, and you need that to access a computer whose screen you need to calibrate with what looks like a code but really just needs to be zeroed out. And sometimes it’s not even the puzzle’s fault but rather the game for not sufficiently explaining itself, like how I got stuck for ages in the second room because I didn’t know my scroll wheel zoomed in on objects.

The puzzles and the questionable designs surrounding them are the biggest problems with Play With Me, but by no means the only ones. This is supposed to be a horror game but apparently that’s accomplished by loading up on lame jumpscares and loud stingers to annoy players to death. There was one point where I found a big creepy spider on the side of the screen and stared at it for awhile, and then when I moved my mouse it triggered a loud-rear end BONGGG that made me jump as the spider lazily crawled away. Nothing in this game is actually scary, from the scenarios to the characters (your boy Robert has decent voiceovers but everyone else in the game sounds like a joke) to the jumpscares, but that won’t stop them from screaming at you nonsensically every scene.

I suppose if you’re the kind of person that loves more outside-the-box-ish puzzles, Play With Me might hold some appeal for you. You’d still have to get past the awkward presentation, but the puzzles are plenty involved as long as you can follow the logic. That’s all too many caveats for me, though, so I’m going to advise passing on this one and finding a more substantial, even-handed adventure. Puzzle games and horror games are not exactly rare on Steam, and you’d probably have an easier time finding a better merging of the two than solving the obnoxious riddles of this one.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I worked at a very small anime con this weekend and not only were there a half-dozen minimum Bendy and the Ink Machine cosplays, but a panel where some people performed a skit. At one point some cosplayers were excitedly talking about the last episode coming out. The kids love it!

I’m hoping Baldi’s Basics avoids the pandering trajectory of Bendy and Hello Neighbor. I can understand trying to parrot FNaF’s organic and well-crafted success (and companies trying to buy in on potentially lucrative properties), but Baldi’s began differently than other indie horror games that grew from FNaF’s (and previously Slenderman’s) influence.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cardiovorax posted:

To be honest, until now, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be horror. "Bendy and the Ink Machine" sounds so much like a children's novel, I was expecting it to be something more like Mickey's Magic Castle type game. Funny what a difference names can make.

this reminds me of that leaked concept art of Epic Mickey that made it look like a horror game

it turned out to just be the studio testing what they could get away with from Disney or whatever but maaan what could have been

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kill the mouse
take his house

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Disney gave them carte blanche to make that game btw, they toned it down themselves iirc

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Grapplejack posted:

Disney gave them carte blanche to make that game btw, they toned it down themselves iirc

yeah, they wanted to test their limits and disney was like "no limits, do whatever"

so they went "oh okay" and made what they ended up making instead of what they'd pitched

fuckers

if disney told me I could do crazy poo poo by god we are going to get crazy

edit: the one confirmed rule they were given, even after seeing that concept art, was that Mickey Mouse can't show his teeth

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

edit: the one confirmed rule they were given, even after seeing that concept art, was that Mickey Mouse can't show his teeth

"Look, goofy made of arms is fine, but mickey with teeth is too gross and weird."

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm not quite why I didn't concider the concept of Horror Alice could also work for the rest of disney but I guess I wouldn't mind seeing it now!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

On one hand it really feels like a cheap Unity game held together by the most generic assets. I’m pretty sure it’s using the default first person controller and sound effects which make every footstep sound like you weigh 900 pounds. But it really is a detailed world that demands you pay attention and it nails the atmosphere of a comfortable but slightly off picturesque town.

It kind of cracked me up that the opening text to Painscreek tells you "if you get stuck and can't move, there's a reload function to put you back." That's some confidence in your game's functionality!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Metal Gear Survive got off the a fantastic start. The first foray into the Dust was tense and harrowing, I got completely lost and turned around and I usually pride myself on having a fantastic sense of direction in games. (I still hadn't figured out the compass halo thing at that point) What REALLY got me though, what GENUINELY shook me and instilled this sense of wonder and terror in me was the first "ruin". Getting to the end and retracing my steps KNOWING in my heart of hearts that all the inactive corpses were going to re-animate. Because that's what these games do, right? You have to fight your way out of a dungeon you though was clear, right? And then, as I slowly creep out the game pulls a huge right turn on me and veers into madness... The pad begins the rumble as a rhythmic, all encompassing pounding shakes the screen. I approach the exit of the base and something moves past the front door. Something immense and indescribable. I catch sight of a heaving mass of crystal and something that looks like an arm? A leg? And I caution a peep outside and through the miasma of the dust I can see that it feels the loving sky and stretches across the horizon and of all the games I've ever played I never in a million years expected Metal Gear Survive to give me a genuine moment of cosmic horror.

And even after I'd survived that, got to a point where I was running rings around the zombies, every now and then I'd feel the rumbling footsteps of the kaiju and it just got me with this sense of wonder and majesty and I crept through this alien world as this... thing just lumbered around doing whatever it did. I'm sure "The Mist" was a huge influence on that creature's design and it was brilliant.

20 hours on though and I'm fighting a cheap-o Tyrant who smashed up my camp and I have to traverse the dust again scouring for countless parts to re-build and I have 11 days to do it all in and now the true horror has revealed itself to me. It's the endless grind. The searching blindly in the dust for a single potato. This is true madness.

Fantastic start, ending on a whimper though. I presume the post-story game is just about beefing your base and crew up and surviving wave after wave of more ferocious zombie attacks?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Fantastic start, ending on a whimper though. I presume the post-story game is just about beefing your base and crew up and surviving wave after wave of more ferocious zombie attacks?
Essentially, yes, although there is a co-op mode available, you receive additional character classes to beef yourself up in and New Game+ is available with all your current resources and blueprints. Basically, you have the option to start over at any time and construct everything from the start. I like that kind of thing, but if you're already bored, you won't be getting any less bored.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I might keep it installed as a kind of wind down after work. Pop on a podcast and do some mindless gathering and missions for an hour. That sort of thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Metal Gear Survive got off the a fantastic start. The first foray into the Dust was tense and harrowing, I got completely lost and turned around and I usually pride myself on having a fantastic sense of direction in games. (I still hadn't figured out the compass halo thing at that point) What REALLY got me though, what GENUINELY shook me and instilled this sense of wonder and terror in me was the first "ruin". Getting to the end and retracing my steps KNOWING in my heart of hearts that all the inactive corpses were going to re-animate. Because that's what these games do, right? You have to fight your way out of a dungeon you though was clear, right? And then, as I slowly creep out the game pulls a huge right turn on me and veers into madness... The pad begins the rumble as a rhythmic, all encompassing pounding shakes the screen. I approach the exit of the base and something moves past the front door. Something immense and indescribable. I catch sight of a heaving mass of crystal and something that looks like an arm? A leg? And I caution a peep outside and through the miasma of the dust I can see that it feels the loving sky and stretches across the horizon and of all the games I've ever played I never in a million years expected Metal Gear Survive to give me a genuine moment of cosmic horror.

And even after I'd survived that, got to a point where I was running rings around the zombies, every now and then I'd feel the rumbling footsteps of the kaiju and it just got me with this sense of wonder and majesty and I crept through this alien world as this... thing just lumbered around doing whatever it did. I'm sure "The Mist" was a huge influence on that creature's design and it was brilliant.

20 hours on though and I'm fighting a cheap-o Tyrant who smashed up my camp and I have to traverse the dust again scouring for countless parts to re-build and I have 11 days to do it all in and now the true horror has revealed itself to me. It's the endless grind. The searching blindly in the dust for a single potato. This is true madness.

One silly thing is that the "Aw drat we only got this much time!" deal they give you's a trick, the game never actually puts you on any kind of deadline. Yeah though the post-game is where you're mostly beefing up and playing base builder extraordinaire and stuff, there's some cool bonus mission type things if I'm remembering right too with more big freaky boss type kuban creatures as well.

But yeah, that first peek at the Lord of Dust when they're just this giant, almost unreadable shape causing quakes with every step is super :stonk: and I loved it, that Survive of all things made that moment work.

For anyone that wants to see what's being talked about, I forgot I took a chunk of screenshots over the game, this was after I'd gotten some distance because hauling rear end was priority 1 at the time. "The Mist" inspired is very apt though.

Had to protect my powerful chops from creepy crystal monsters

Also game's nice if you want to run around in MSF cosplay

Or look like some MGS2 frogman by the end of it

Oh yeah and cause why not

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Little Nightmares
2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
4. Rise of Insanity
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
8. INFERNIUM
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
14. Observer
15. Dark Deception
16. Cultist Simulator
17. House of Evil
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE
20. Sagebrush
21. The Painscreek Killings
22. A Room Beyond
23. The Evil Within
24. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
25. Dead Secret Circle
26. Disturbed: Beyond Aramor
27. Lucie
28. Play With Me

29. Darkwood

There is but one pressing question when it comes to horror, and that is: How do you express your horror to another person? We all know what little fears can grip our hearts, but how can we make others experience that fear? In horror games those answers are vast and varied, and those who have mastered the art of creating tension and dread stand far apart from those who yet struggle with the question. Darkwood seemingly came out of nowhere with a vision of horror that both ran counter to expectations and also thoroughly dashed them with how effective it was. Coupled with a wealth of gameplay discoveries to make and surprises around every turn, this has proven to be a new high water mark for the genre.

It’s hard to give a synopsis of the story because the vague details do so much to heighten the atmosphere. The world has seemingly ended in rather spectacular fashion, with a giant, misty forest overgrowing the roads and buildings once so familiar. This is no ordinary forest, though, as it seems to hide both a hunger and a loathing for humanity. Once you begin finding the corpses of your kin and discovering what lurks between the branches of this dark place, you’ll begin to understand. But all you want to do is escape, and that’s going to make for a harrowing journey through the few livable spaces left in the world.

I won’t spoil Darkwood’s brilliant opening, but it does an incredible job of setting the tone and expectations for the game. Played entirely from a top-down perspective, your vision is obscured by walls and darkness which leaves a deep gray “fog of war” over everything you can’t presently see. Obviously this means there could easily be something lurking right around the corner or outside your window, but it also means oddities like corpses and poisonous mushrooms won’t show up until you’re right on top of them, either. This persistent uncertainty is a cornerstone of the Darkwood experience, a brilliant way to both challenge the player mechanically to be observant of their surroundings and also present untold opportunities to build tension and startle.

There’s more to the atmosphere than just the vision trick, too. The 2D graphics are at once wonderfully detailed and hideously gritty, portraying a world where nature has twisted into a veritable beast that uses fruition and decay to kill. Structures have been torn into, leaving chunks of walls and furniture to be buried and overgrown with roots. Sun-touched fields hide rotting bodies in their tall grasses, swarming with fat flies. And the creatures that occupy these places are themselves overgrown and twisted, feeling less like living things and more like deadly constructs when you are forced to cave in their skulls with a shovel. I’m only touching on the incidental encounters you’ll have, because the big setpiece locations hold truly breathtaking horrors that deserve to be experienced blind.

All of these factors combine to make Darkwood a grim, unsettling journey even when the sun is high and the land is familiar. It won’t stay that way forever, though, because night is its own frightful challenge. You won’t know the rules of this world going in, and at night not knowing the rules can end with you very much dead. It’s one of the game’s most effective parts, the nightly rituals you develop to deal with the litany of things that emerge from the shadows to end you. You’ll also need to adapt as you move from region to region, as your goal in each place is simply to find passage to the next. When you start the game you’ll have a nice, mostly secure house to base yourself out of, but once you have to move on you’ll need to cobble together what shelter you can out of the ruins you find.

For this reason the game has a fairly robust crafting system, built around salvaging and bartering for parts. While out and about in hellworld you’ll find wood, nails, wires, and other mundane bits to craft basic weapons, supplies, and traps from. Some crafting can be done on the fly but most is done at a workbench, which can also be upgraded with the right items to allow you to make more advanced gear. Starting out you’ll be making nail bats and bandages, but eventually you can start bashing together whole firearms to defend your fragile existence with. You won’t always be able to find everything you need but there are a few mysterious characters you can barter with for key goods, though that’s yet another system you’ll need to learn the rules for.

Even after coming to grips with these systems and excelling in them, reaching the conclusion of Darkwood won’t be easy. I myself am still early on in the very, very lengthy journey and find myself set back every time a new creature appears to contend with. I’ve also had trouble finding ways to progress more than once, as some of the key locations are only accessible through specific events. I had to do one thing that ran entirely counter to my survival instincts to reach one very cool area, so be prepared to look up the next step if you find yourself stumped for too long. Wasting time can be deadly in this game, since your resources are finite and your weapons and fuel won’t last forever.

Any confusion you run into is well worth it just to see such a brilliant vision of horror brought to life. Even now I’m in awe of how viscerally frightening a 2D top-down game can be, because I’ve had scares worse than some first-person games I’ve played. The folks behind Darkwood get it, they get how to create hostile worlds and terrifying creatures and how to keep them fresh for hours on end. This is the very essence of survival horror, struggling to persist long enough to escape a land that itself hates you and wants to destroy you. It’s rare to find a game this effective at scaring and also this fun about experiencing it, which makes it an easy recommendation for even the most jaded fans of horror.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Darkwood is incredibly good, coming from yeah, someone who's usually a jaded horror fan :v:

The level of dread a top-down game like that can create with the right talented minds behind it is pretty impressive. The devs are also really cool people and I'm pretty sure still maintain a v1.0 torrent of the game on TPB or some of those sites, because they said in the same statement where they put that torrent out there, that they know a lot of people really can't spring for games anymore and while they were totally fine giving keys to people who just kindly asked them for one, they started seeing those same keys pop up on key sites and that rattled them a lot, so they figured no, you're not gonna do that poo poo to our game, you can come take it straight from us instead if you maybe don't have the cash right now. They're 100% worth supporting if you want a cool, surreal horror game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Me in a game with monsters and jump scares: meh

Me in a game of Darkwood when the sun starts setting and I'm pretty sure I'm lost: Oh gently caress oh gently caress gently caress me oh jesus poo poo fuuuuuuck

My only issue with Darkwood is probably the options given for permadeath - either you die, and have to restart, or you die, lose all your items, and respawn at the safehouse, or you die, and lose nothing.

Part of me wants the first, most brutal option, but given the nature of the game (the finite resources, the somewhat unclear goals, the game's way of not making mechanics clear), its hard to argue for that. But the other options make the game feel too easy, since death means nothing, and really lessens that feeling of pure dread.

If the world respawned resources (and enemies) after every night, I might be more for that. You go out and explore, and the world is still hostile, but it feels less like your death is inevitable and more like you think you have the resources to progress, but are constantly dreading that need to, since it means walking away from a place you know is (relatively) safe.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morpheus posted:

But the other options make the game feel too easy, since death means nothing, and really lessens that feeling of pure dread.
Personally, I never really find that it works out that way for me. Sure, I'm more afraid of dying in a game that has permadeath, but I'm not afraid of it in a horror kind of sense. I'm afraid in a "oh god, if I die I have to do that crap all over again, possibly multiple times" kind of sense, which really hurts the horror experience far more for me because it turns it from tension into tedium. I was never any less scared in Amnesia for the fact that I would respawn at the beginning of the section, since I'm aware that death in games isn't real to begin with, no matter how they package or present it. There's nothing to actually, tangibly fear about dying in a game of pretend, so in the end, it all boils down to the question of how annoying the punishment for failure will be for me as the player.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Steam Halloween sale is finally up!

Relevantly, while it's not listed in the sale, Darkwood is also 50% off! I know I'm definitely gonna pick it up

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I never really find that it works out that way for me. Sure, I'm more afraid of dying in a game that has permadeath, but I'm not afraid of it in a horror kind of sense. I'm afraid in a "oh god, if I die I have to do that crap all over again, possibly multiple times" kind of sense, which really hurts the horror experience far more for me because it turns it from tension into tedium. I was never any less scared in Amnesia for the fact that I would respawn at the beginning of the section, since I'm aware that death in games isn't real to begin with, no matter how they package or present it. There's nothing to actually, tangibly fear about dying in a game of pretend, so in the end, it all boils down to the question of how annoying the punishment for failure will be for me as the player.

Yeah, I suppose that's true, but if anyone likes horror games it's also because on some level they're able to get into the game and feel the fear of the characters, even though really they're not in any peril at all. But if I'm repeatedly dying in a game and have no sincere penalty to it, that suspension of disbelief is going to ebb away quicker and quicker, getting to the point where I'm killing myself in the game simply so that I don't have to make it back to the safehouse.

Still a really intense game though, through the design and the world concept if nothing else.

Anyway, so I noticed The Forest came out of early access a little while ago - is the resulting product 'finished'? Does it feel like they created a full game with a beginning, middle, and end, or did they just push it out the door to get a bit more money before abandoning it? Looks like the reviews are mostly positive, but I've been burned before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, I suppose that's true, but if anyone likes horror games it's also because on some level they're able to get into the game and feel the fear of the characters, even though really they're not in any peril at all. But if I'm repeatedly dying in a game and have no sincere penalty to it, that suspension of disbelief is going to ebb away quicker and quicker, getting to the point where I'm killing myself in the game simply so that I don't have to make it back to the safehouse.

Still a really intense game though, through the design and the world concept if nothing else.

Anyway, so I noticed The Forest came out of early access a little while ago - is the resulting product 'finished'? Does it feel like they created a full game with a beginning, middle, and end, or did they just push it out the door to get a bit more money before abandoning it? Looks like the reviews are mostly positive, but I've been burned before.

It's a full game and even has an actual narrative from start to finish.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Out of nowhere, The Witch's House will be released just in time for the climax of Spooktober. It's an updated version and it apparently has some extra stuff if you play the newly added harder difficulty level.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grapplejack posted:

That's crazy, they had the keys to the (magical) kingdom and rather than making something that could have been amazing we got two dull-rear end games no one even remembers.

Also Call of Cthulu's reviews are kinda poo poo, so much for that.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
There are so many worrying tells in the gameplay videos I'm not surprised. It's too bad, I was blown away by that shot where you get thrown back into total oblivion, but the game engine version is clunky as gently caress

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Epic Mickey was seriously limited by its chosen platform. Had it been an Xbox 360 title it would've been different but there wasn't much hope for a truly standout title on Wii.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Epic Mickey was seriously limited by its chosen platform. Had it been an Xbox 360 title it would've been different but there wasn't much hope for a truly standout title on Wii.

But wiggle controls are so fun and cool

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Eldritch still not dethroned for best Lovecraft game. Unless you count Darkest Dungeon.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Cmon Sinking City

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flubby posted:

Eldritch still not dethroned for best Lovecraft game. Unless you count Darkest Dungeon.

Someone hasn't played Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The new CoC game is from Cyanide, I'm betting a bunch of people missed that and didn't go in expecting the level of technical wonk you have to with a good Cyanide game.