Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad palestinian vs the Virgin Israeli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that meme totally exists

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Real hurthling! posted:

that meme totally exists

i've got some bad news for you about that meme and israel/palestine

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

unfortunately now this man will be targeted for extrajudicial murder

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RaySmuckles posted:

You say that as if they aren,t already targeting all Palestinians.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RaySmuckles posted:

"now"
hahahahahahahaha

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
That's wonderful but I'm sad to inform you that there's trouble in paradise.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

You say that as if they aren,t already targeting all Palestinians.

woof, got me there

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
So successful that they're suspending it? What's the story there?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

So successful that they're suspending it? What's the story there?

so successful that it disappointed the Armored Corps commanders who were hoping to use the program to prove that women weren't suited for combat, and whom never had any plans of moving forward with integration

the "success" was putting four women through a tank commanders' training program, which they passed...and then they were sent right back to infantry, because the Armored Corps didn't have clear plans for moving forward with gender integration if the pilot program worked out

aside from all the misogynistic macho bullshit that every military seems to have, there's also the influence of the ultra-religious sectors of the military, who are extremely opposed to unmarried men and women being in the same space or even in the same room

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

The Soviets proved women could successfully crew tanks in WW2. They should've known they'd get passes on the pilot program.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tanks.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Soviets proved women could successfully crew tanks in WW2. They should've known they'd get passes on the pilot program.

tell that to people like these

quote:

The army insists that it is allowing more women to serve in combat positions out of practical considerations, not due to a social agenda, saying it requires all the woman- and manpower available to it.

The tank pilot program in particular has met considerable resistance.

In November, when it was first formally announced, former high-ranking officers and religious groups came out firmly against it.

Brig. Gen. (res.) Avigdor Kahalani, a famed commander of the IDF’s 7th Armored Brigade, told the Galey Israel radio station that tanks were not the right place for women.

"The role of a woman is to be a mother, to bring children into the world,” he said.

Former IDF general and current head of the Israel Electric Corporation Yiftach Ron-Tal claimed the proposal to allow women to operate tanks was a “scandal,” and part of a conspiracy by far-left “freaks” to debilitate the army. He later retracted the comment and apologized, amid backlash.

Within the Armored Corps, there has also been some opposition voiced to gender integration.

Before the army announced its plans to consider allowing women to serve in the tank brigades, head of the Armored Corps Brig. Gen. Hasson told The Times of Israel he was concerned that such a move would harm the “image” of the unit.

“We’re fighters. We’re trying to keep an image as fighters,” he said.

“There are still people who look at us and say, there’s infantry and then there’s armored. You’re less ‘fighters.’ You’re less,” he said.

quote:

Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu, chief rabbi of the city of Safed, claimed Wednesday a “war” was being waged between the military and religious Zionism over female military service, said the IDF was leading an “unhinged” agenda and accused Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman of behaving as though the army “belongs to his dad.”

Speaking at a conference on Hebrew law, Eliyahu said the army had plans to “mix boys and girls in the IDF in all areas. They boast that they’ve already managed 90 percent, and they hope for 100.”

He claimed that the military position nowadays was that “‘You weren’t born a woman, you were taught to be a woman, so we’ll teach you to be a man.’

“It’s an unhinged agenda, but the problem is that this agenda now leads the IDF.”

Eliyahu set off tensions with the defense establishment recently when he said IDF chief Gadi Eisenkot should be dismissed because he allows female soldiers to serve in combat units.

Eliyahu’s position was supported by other top rabbis, including Sephardic Chief Rabbi Yitzhak Yosef and Rabbi Shlomo Aviner, leading Liberman to ban the three from all IDF events, “until they take back the serious comments they made against the IDF chief of staff and against the IDF.” The rabbis, he said, are state employees who “must represent the state.”

The issue of female enlistment, especially into combat units, has become a sensitive one among Orthodox nationalist religious leaders in recent years, and has pitted Israel’s traditionally liberal military leadership against the spiritual leaders of a large number of religiously observant soldiers and officers.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has also rejected rabbis’ criticisms, saying he was “proud” of female integration and commended army chiefs for advancing equality.

In a speech on Sunday the head of a pre-army religious academy in southern Israel accused the IDF of seeking “to destroy” Israeli families, warning religious women not to “dare” enlist.

In the speech Rabbi Tzvi Kostiner said men and women serving together has led to “insanity” in the army, with women taking on roles traditionally reserved for men. He claimed co-ed military service has caused women to leave the army due to emotional problems, injuries and harassment.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
rip my Girl und Merkava waifu.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

tell that to people like these

All this proves is that Israelis know they're not in danger of a new holocaust, because if they were engaged in an apocalyptic conflict they'd be putting women behind every weapons platform they could.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has the shooting on Saturday led to any self-reflection about the wisdom of the Isreali right making nice with the American right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Has the shooting on Saturday led to any self-reflection about the wisdom of the Isreali right making nice with the American right?

Well, let's check the headlines...

Israeli Ambassador: Don't blame Trump for synagogue shooting
Ambassador Ron Dermer praises Trump's statement following Pittsburgh attack, calls for united stance against anti-Semitism.

Israel’s chief rabbi won’t call Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life a synagogue
David Lau says it’s clear victims were killed because they were Jews in a ‘place of clear Jewish character,’ adds: ‘I have a deep ideological disagreement with them about Judaism’

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RandomPauI posted:

The Israeli right hate Soros too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Contemplating this is anti-semitic according to extremely smart twitter users, fyi

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

qkkl posted:

The Israeli right hate Soros are antisemitic fascists too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

so successful that it disappointed the Armored Corps commanders who were hoping to use the program to prove that women weren't suited for combat, and whom never had any plans of moving forward with integration

the "success" was putting four women through a tank commanders' training program, which they passed...and then they were sent right back to infantry, because the Armored Corps didn't have clear plans for moving forward with gender integration if the pilot program worked out

aside from all the misogynistic macho bullshit that every military seems to have, there's also the influence of the ultra-religious sectors of the military, who are extremely opposed to unmarried men and women being in the same space or even in the same room

how do they think marriages begin...?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

When the village matchmaker arranges the most appropriate pairing between families.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the courtship process starts with Chaim Topal singing a song before the woman sings a song to a matchmaker.

Edit: beaten while looking up Chaim's name on a phone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

got any sevens posted:

arranged marriages are still big in ultra-Orthodox communities. when a child turns 18, the parents work with their rabbi and sometimes a local matchmaker to identify an unmarried young person of the opposite gender that they think would be a good match for their child. once both families and the rabbi have approved of the match, they then work together to set up a first meeting between the couple, and then start setting up dates (with a chaperone, of course, to ensure that they don't do anything scandalous like holding hands before marriage)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

arranged marriages are weird, a girl i went to school with ended up in an unhappy one and just ended up shagging one of my mates for a while on the sly but she now has kids and seems happy with them if not her stupid husband

otoh my cousin's wife's sister was champing at the bit to get matchmaked and has a happy marriage, but she's quite privileged so probably had her pick

they can be incredibly lovely but they're not as black and white bad as they seem. having a formal network to find a partner seems better than our current approach of just having an atomised wasteland with a single blinking gently caress-app. my single friends have a terrible time of things.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I guess it is better to have your family run your whole life

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

but when you have kids then you get to run their lives so it’s turn based too

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/samknight_one/status/1056930103211581441

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Actually, a majority of worldwide marriages arranged, so "love based" marriages are the weird ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arranged_marriage posted:

According to a 2012 study by Statistic Brain, 53.25 percent of marriages are arranged worldwide.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hentai Jihadist posted:

they can be incredibly lovely but they're not as black and white bad as they seem. having a formal network to find a partner seems better than our current approach of just having an atomised wasteland with a single blinking gently caress-app. my single friends have a terrible time of things.

Yes it is better to do as the feudal peoples did and barter and trade for daughters. They are, after all, the property of their men. This is the good and proper solution to the commodification of every social interaction in our lives.

qkkl posted:

Actually, a majority of worldwide marriages arranged, so "love based" marriages are the weird ones.

A few percent doesn't make the other side "weird."

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Oct 29, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

arranged marriages are weird, a girl i went to school with ended up in an unhappy one and just ended up shagging one of my mates for a while on the sly but she now has kids and seems happy with them if not her stupid husband

otoh my cousin's wife's sister was champing at the bit to get matchmaked and has a happy marriage, but she's quite privileged so probably had her pick

having friends and family help you meet people is fine

having your parents contact the council of elders to find you a proper bride because it's literally the only way to meet women because all public places are completely gender-segregated, on the other hand, is pretty hosed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
arranged marriage is human trafficking hth

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Edit: whoops, my post jumped threads somehow

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

The Chad palestinian vs the Virgin Israeli

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

having friends and family help you meet people is fine

having your parents contact the council of elders to find you a proper bride because it's literally the only way to meet women because all public places are completely gender-segregated, on the other hand, is pretty hosed

Sounds kind of like government-mandated girlfriends. Interesting...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

matchmakers in the modern age also serve to avoid pairings with genetic issues since many ultra families are hiding a history of disorders that they wont share with anyone except their community matchmaker

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie, the prospect of a friend or family member hooking me up with a weird-rear end broad sounds kickin' rad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Not gonna lie, the prospect of a friend or family member hooking me up with a weird-rear end broad sounds kickin' rad.

I read a take once upon a time that, while we should be glad that some parts of society have done away with arranged marriages and even stuff like debutante balls and soirees and cotillons, the problem is that people have also been left in the lurch as far nothing having taken the place of it except working more and seeing people less.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i just meet people on grindr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read a take once upon a time that, while we should be glad that some parts of society have done away with arranged marriages and even stuff like debutante balls and soirees and cotillons, the problem is that people have also been left in the lurch as far nothing having taken the place of it except working more and seeing people less.

well something has taken their place. its online dating, for better or worse. its less social/communal than historic matchmaking and that has a bit of downside with the benefit of empowering individual choice.