Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Would honestly prefer Hillary to Booker, but just because he is that bad.

Gillum is a much better fantasy vp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

joepinetree posted:

I don't think Biden will win the primary, or even come that close. He may lead in the polls, but his numbers are by far the worst of any former vice president running for a nomination. Getting mid 30s as the former vice president of a pretty popular president, without having ever faced a tough election at the top of the ticket is pretty bad. He hasn't faced any substantial attack ads or scrutiny. People like to compare his numbers to Bernie's, but Bernie has been involved in a pretty bloody primary and re-litigation of said primary for the better part of 3 years. And everyone else doesn't have the same name recognition.

30% is pretty good when there are a billion candidates running and the closest alternative isn’t even polling at half that

it’s possible Biden’s numbers will drop when the primary season starts but, right now, there’s no evidence to suggest that. the idea that he’ll just implode when scrutinized (ignoring that he has been in the public eye for decades) to clear the way for Bernie seems like a lot of wishful thinking

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

it’s possible Biden’s numbers will drop when the primary season starts but, right now, there’s no evidence to suggest that. the idea that he’ll just implode when scrutinized (ignoring that he has been in the public eye for decades) to clear the way for Bernie seems like a lot of wishful thinking

Yeah, plus Biden's got Obama Nostalgia wrapped around him like an aura.

He'll play off the gropey photos as "I'm a hugger" or some poo poo and unless something specific comes out -- like an actual victim or five willing to make public allegations -- that by itself won't sink him.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

30% is pretty good when there are a billion candidates running and the closest alternative isn’t even polling at half that

Biden imploded all the other times he ran for president usually over him plagiarizing poo poo. The idea that Biden has since learned how to campaign seems more like wishful thinking on his part.

And the response of “but trump is worse” ignores the entire media dynamic that’s played out since 2015. The media doesn’t play fair.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DynamicSloth posted:

Gillum is a much better fantasy vp.
As a Floridian, gently caress Gillum if he pulls a Palin.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

The number of candidates isn't a random occurrence. They are a testament to Biden's fragility. Candidates tend to clear out when there's a dominating figure within the party. And Biden hasn't been the focus on a single nationwide negative campaign ad ever. "Being in the public eye" isn't enough. Just look at what would happen to Hillary's favorability whenever she would get in a race.

Biden is in the best spot he can ever be in: high name recognition while never being the target of a negative campaign.

And it's not just about the groping stuff. The Anita Hill thing will 100% be an ad.

Only reason Biden makes out of the primary is if every other candidate stays in and continues to split the vote.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Booker would be a possible choice for VP, I agree there.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frightening Knight posted:

The moment Biden announces he's running people are going to start passing around collages of him inappropriately touching women a quarter of his age where they look clearly uncomfortable and he's going to crash and burn.

I would like to believe that, but in the year 2018 I have serious doubts about what counts as disqualifying

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Candidates win when they capture the moment. I believe that the last minute swing voters who are basically mouth breathing all the way to the polls vote based on whoever the election was "about." 2000/2004 was about Bush, the 2008 and 2012 elections were about Obama, and the 2016 was about trump. Lots of (rightfully) negative coverage of the Rs in the lead up to these elections, but 2004 was a referendum on Bush and his war and his policies on gays, so he won.

Dems need a candidate who can capture the current moment and who isn't just a boring alternative to Trump. Someone beloved. I know Beto said he wouldn't run if he won the Senate, but it looks likely Cruz will win. That sucks; as a former Texan I'd be proud to vote for him. The only small silver lining is that it leaves him open for A 2020 run.

Are there any other Dems who could fill the Beto shaped hole in my heart?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So is she going to run?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Kingfish posted:

So is she going to run?
Still no.

not joseph stalin posted:

For a segment of the population, Bernie "captured the moment" in 2016. Whether he can broaden that in 2020 is one of the fundamental questions of the race. Past that, it's about what you're looking for: Beto, policywise, is similar to most of those seriously considering runs in 2020. Duckworth may hit for you the goofy/earnest/sorta cool personality trifecta that Beto seems to for many, Booker's tenure as mayor suggests he and much of the MSM will try to project the same for him. Warren has caught fire in the past, and Kamala (still have a profile coming, I promise) has risen to somewhat of a face of #metoo politics given her role in the Kavanaugh questioning.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paracaidas posted:

Still no.

For a segment of the population, Bernie "captured the moment" in 2016. Whether he can broaden that in 2020 is one of the fundamental questions of the race. Past that, it's about what you're looking for: Beto, policywise, is similar to most of those seriously considering runs in 2020. Duckworth may hit for you the goofy/earnest/sorta cool personality trifecta that Beto seems to for many, Booker's tenure as mayor suggests he and much of the MSM will try to project the same for him. Warren has caught fire in the past, and Kamala (still have a profile coming, I promise) has risen to somewhat of a face of #metoo politics given her role in the Kavanaugh questioning.

In the absence of a darker horse candidate (of which a few have been suggested and I've been one of the more obnoxious voices saying "don't have a failure of imagination, there might be someone both progressive and exciting who we're not crediting yet"), I think I'm officially provisionally pulling for Gillibrand as the best* Not Sanders Or Maybe Warren candidate. Sure, I know she said she wasn't looking at a run right this instant, but people saying that before the previous midterms have changed their minds before.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As a Floridian, gently caress Gillum if he pulls a Palin.

this

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 29, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think there is still time and space for someone who isn’t a governor or senator to run and win the nomination. It would require a massive grassroots campaign but there is still more than enough time to pull that off.

While the superdonor networks might all get tied down within a month or two that’s not required to win and a candidate not associated with 1. the moribund senate or 2. state law enforcement would have real pluses from an enthusiasm perspective.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

I think there is still time and space for someone who isn’t a governor or senator to run and win the nomination. It would require a massive grassroots campaign but there is still more than enough time to pull that off.

While the superdonor networks might all get tied down within a month or two that’s not required to win and a candidate not associated with 1. the moribund senate or 2. state law enforcement would have real pluses from an enthusiasm perspective.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Seriously. There's fuckin' work to do in this state and even two terms of a not-awful Governor isn't enough time. If Gillum gets elected and then bails we gon' get wrecked for a decade.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Seriously. There's fuckin' work to do in this state and even two terms of a not-awful Governor isn't enough time. If Gillum gets elected and then bails we gon' get wrecked for a decade.

Look, Florida is gonna wash away in a few short months anyway

If the nation needs him he's better allocated elsewhere

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Candidates win when they capture the moment. I believe that the last minute swing voters who are basically mouth breathing all the way to the polls vote based on whoever the election was "about." 2000/2004 was about Bush, the 2008 and 2012 elections were about Obama, and the 2016 was about trump. Lots of (rightfully) negative coverage of the Rs in the lead up to these elections, but 2004 was a referendum on Bush and his war and his policies on gays, so he won.

Dems need a candidate who can capture the current moment and who isn't just a boring alternative to Trump. Someone beloved. I know Beto said he wouldn't run if he won the Senate, but it looks likely Cruz will win. That sucks; as a former Texan I'd be proud to vote for him. The only small silver lining is that it leaves him open for A 2020 run.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bernie's not a dem :smug:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Thank gently caress.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, Florida is gonna wash away in a few short months anyway

If the nation needs him he's better allocated elsewhere
When the floods come our manatee cavalry will decimate the unprepared Northern hordes. Just you wait Yankee scum.

Seriously though we are one of the better prepared states for the lots more water future. Which is kind of sad considering how historically poo poo our state governments are.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

When the floods come our manatee cavalry will decimate the unprepared Northern hordes. Just you wait Yankee scum.

Seriously though we are one of the better prepared states for the lots more water future. Which is kind of sad considering how historically poo poo our state governments are.

your manatees will freeze to death if they try to head up past the Mason dixon line

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

your manatees will freeze to death if they try to head up past the Mason dixon line
Maybe now, but soon...

Summer is coming.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, plus Biden's got Obama Nostalgia wrapped around him like an aura.

He'll play off the gropey photos as "I'm a hugger" or some poo poo and unless something specific comes out -- like an actual victim or five willing to make public allegations -- that by itself won't sink him.

Well, there's also those pesky Anita Hill hearings that he's still getting ragged over, plus the BK reform bill with the amendments making student debt and medical debt non-dischargeable.

Keep in mind that at the beginning of 2003, Joe Lieberman was leading the pack much as Biden is today (and at a later point in the election run-up). Yet when all was said and done:

quote:

In total popular vote he placed 7th behind eventual nominee Massachusetts senator John Kerry, future vice presidential nominee, North Carolina Senator John Edwards, former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean, Ohio Representative Dennis Kucinich, retired General Wesley Clark and Reverend Al Sharpton.

Now, he didn't have a vice presidency under Gore deemed successful, as Biden had under Obama, but that Kooch & Sharpton both managed to beat Lieberman in total popular vote shows how off those early mainly-name-recognition rankings can be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Willa Rogers posted:

Well, there's also those pesky Anita Hill hearings that he's still getting ragged over, plus the BK reform bill with the amendments making student debt and medical debt non-dischargeable.

Keep in mind that at the beginning of 2003, Joe Lieberman was leading the pack much as Biden is today (and at a later point in the election run-up). Yet when all was said and done:

Now, he didn't have a vice presidency under Gore deemed successful, as Biden had under Obama, but that Kooch & Sharpton both managed to beat Lieberman in total popular vote shows how off those early mainly-name-recognition rankings can be.

Oh sure. Please understand I am not saying Biden is *going* to win nor am I claiming that he is any better a candidate than, say, Lieberman. Still, name recognition is a powerful force and I don't think he should be discounted out of hand. He's still the whitest, malest, most establishment candidate on the Democratic side.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh sure. Please understand I am not saying Biden is *going* to win nor am I claiming that he is any better a candidate than, say, Lieberman. Still, name recognition is a powerful force and I don't think he should be discounted out of hand. He's still the whitest, malest, most establishment candidate on the Democratic side.

Speaking of ultra-white bleach-drinkers:
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/1057012963197009920

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That's the Ohio guy, right? He said he wants to run for President.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Frightening Knight posted:

That's the Ohio guy, right? He said he wants to run for President.

He wants to run for president because he thinks he has the 'yoga mom vote' locked down, that is his express rationale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Office Pig posted:

He wants to run for president because he thinks he has the 'yoga mom vote' locked down, that is his express rationale.

See, just listen to that and ask yourself: can you imagine a future where the Democratic Party nominates a Biden / Ryan ticket

because I can

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

lol ok I wasn't misremembering, that guy is so weird.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only thing that genuinely points in biden's favor among the dem primary electorate is his association with obama

which would've been greatly bolstered had obama remained a public figure the past couple years instead of immediately loving off to billionaire island to work on his netflix deal or whatever

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

That's a fair point. I do think there are some dissimilarities between both winning a Dem primary and winning in a general. And also winning in 2016 vs winning post trump. And I think most people would agree that, by speaking the way he did, Bernie really did outperform expectations. I suppose in Beto, I feel a bit of Obama 2004 DNC address.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Mayor Pete is the best.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That's a fair point. I do think there are some dissimilarities between both winning a Dem primary and winning in a general. And also winning in 2016 vs winning post trump. And I think most people would agree that, by speaking the way he did, Bernie really did outperform expectations. I suppose in Beto, I feel a bit of Obama 2004 DNC address.

I was going to make some comment about how I could understand someone being excited about Beto in the same way I was excited about Obama as a 21 year old who hadn't really learned to properly evaluate politicians yet, but apparently you have actually recognized the huge similarities and still like him?

Like, the whole lesson from Obama should have been that having a likable personality does not translate to having good politics.

edit: I almost feel like Beto appeals to certain liberals in the same way Bush and his (fake) accent and cowboy hat appealed to conservatives. Like, the general image Beto portrays is the equivalent of the "guy you'd like to have a beer with" for conservatives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

I was going to make some comment about how I could understand someone being excited about Beto in the same way I was excited about Obama as a 21 year old who hadn't really learned to properly evaluate politicians yet, but apparently you have actually recognized the huge similarities and still like him?

Like, the whole lesson from Obama should have been that having a likable personality does not translate to having good politics.

edit: I almost feel like Beto appeals to certain liberals in the same way Bush and his (fake) accent and cowboy hat appealed to conservatives. Like, the general image Beto portrays is the equivalent of the "guy you'd like to have a beer with" for conservatives.

Charisma does actually matter in candidates and Beto has it. It's *not* the only thing that matters.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/paulheintz/stat...er%3D854%23pti7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ7ndjhhps

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sounds like he was trying to make a joke.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Obama was great and his politics were fine, you just happen to be the left wing equivalent of a tea partier in 09.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

tsa posted:

Obama was great and his politics were fine, you just happen to be the left wing equivalent of a tea partier in 09.

Don't take this bait!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Charisma does actually matter in candidates and Beto has it. It's *not* the only thing that matters.

It's not a reason in and of itself to support them (or personally like them), though. It's just a nice bonus on top of someone actually having good politics.

InnercityGriot posted:

Don't take this bait!!!!

People like that don't annoy me as much because he's at least explicit in having different political views and thinking the left is wrong.