Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the one case where thoughts and prayers are appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Cythereal posted:

I think the Church does need a serious house-cleaning that it seems unwilling to do itself.

Absolutely agree.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

If the DOJ is activating RICO against the Catholic Church, it's because the American government has a list of crimes people in the Church have committed as long as your arm and knows there are higher-ups within the Church who authorized or condoned those crimes who have not been punished because of the Church's internal politics or because there's little to no direct evidence of their personal wrongdoing. If the Church is being targeted by RICO, it's undoubtedly about far more than just sexual assaults from priests.

I understand your skepticism about American law enforcement, but the state has done good as well as bad over the years and I (speaking as someone who is not Catholic and does not have an intimate understanding of what's going on here) think the Church does need a serious house-cleaning that it seems unwilling to do itself.

https://i.imgur.com/YdQ5Str.mp4

On one hand you say they need to have "an extremely good case" against people, but the case is specifically used against people you have no personal proof against, which.. doesn't sound like a good case.

Arresting someone who cannot be proven guilty in a court of law (which I assume RICO makes possible by seizing their assets and having a ton of testimonials against them) is kinda draconian.

I don't mind neither mafiosi or corrupt churches going down, I was just saying that the state has misused it's power throughout known history and so probably will continue to do so - but I'm glad to hear they respect the RICO act to an extent they use it sparingly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

On one hand you say they need to have "an extremely good case" against people, but the case is specifically used against people you have no personal proof against, which.. doesn't sound like a good case.

Arresting someone who cannot be proven guilty in a court of law (which I assume RICO makes possible by seizing their assets and having a ton of testimonials against them) is kinda draconian.

I don't mind neither mafiosi or corrupt churches going down, I was just saying that the state has misused it's power throughout known history and so probably will continue to do so - but I'm glad to hear they respect the RICO act to an extent they use it sparingly.

It's a good cause because it's designed against for people you know are guilty but they're smart and have avoided direct involvement. RICO does prove they're guilty by court of law - the thing about assets and testimonials is that while yes they are circumstantial, they add up to a mountain of circumstance. They know they're guilty, you know they're guilty. That vulnerability to abuse is precisely why the DOJ uses RICO so rarely, they do not break it out unless they believe they have a truly overwhelming and damning amount of indirect evidence.

I'm the farthest thing from a MAGAchud, but the American government has and continues to do a lot of good in the world besides all the bad. You can stop clutching your pearls anytime the US does bring people to justice - and remember they're merely considering RICO... which as an American, is honestly a pretty harsh point in itself.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1055625559433244673/pu/vid/480x480/1l-k0X06MiE6Vd73.mp4?tag=5

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tias’ last response there was pretty charitable.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Cythereal posted:

It's a good cause because it's designed against for people you know are guilty but they're smart and have avoided direct involvement. RICO does prove they're guilty by court of law - the thing about assets and testimonials is that while yes they are circumstantial, they add up to a mountain of circumstance. They know they're guilty, you know they're guilty. That vulnerability to abuse is precisely why the DOJ uses RICO so rarely, they do not break it out unless they believe they have a truly overwhelming and damning amount of indirect evidence.

I'm the farthest thing from a MAGAchud, but the American government has and continues to do a lot of good in the world besides all the bad. You can stop clutching your pearls anytime the US does bring people to justice - and remember they're merely considering RICO... which as an American, is honestly a pretty harsh point in itself.

Isn't the whole point of justice that you have to prove it in the first place? Just going "well everyone knows" doesn't seem to be a good starting point. The fact that you have it available to use for anything is the sort of thing that gets used correctly at first and then slowly starts being used to justify all sorts of poo poo.

Also not to turn this thread into D&D but for the bolded bit, I would like to ask "Where?"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't the whole point of justice that you have to prove it in the first place? Just going "well everyone knows" doesn't seem to be a good starting point. The fact that you have it available to use for anything is the sort of thing that gets used correctly at first and then slowly starts being used to justify all sorts of poo poo.
unlike almost everyone, the US federal government does not bring suit unless it's certain it has enough evidence. If it's not sure it won't start the proceedings.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 27, 2018

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

I know this isn’t a current events thread but please pray for the victims in Pittsburgh.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Worthleast posted:

I know this isn’t a current events thread but please pray for the victims in Pittsburgh.

always

Tias
May 25, 2008

My adv religion class today is still christian fundamentalism, and we're watching a documentary on the youth wing of Indre Mission (Inner Mission). The movement is the largest revivalist movement in Denmark, going on fundamentalist literalist interpretations of the bible and opposition to female priests, abortion, homosexuality etc.

They're a pretty interesting lot, really. We saw footage from their large summer revivalist festival, where boys and girls couldn't camp together and no alcohol was allowed. They were pretty forthcoming about liking having fun, doubting their faith sometimes and how you just got to masturbate because you couldn't avoid it but it was still sinful and so on.

The old ones we met in the documentary were all fire and brimstone, but the others were good kids. It's a shame they got such antiquated notions stuck in their head, but as far as teenage lives go theirs seemed pretty swell.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

On that note:

Reading some of the stories on r/relationships, legal advice, and personally knowing people etc., there’s a lot to be said for no alcohol/drugs, abstinence, forming intimate relationships later in life, and otherwise “clean living.”

Obviously, it doesn’t always work out and there’s two sides to everything, but as I age, I’m seeing how much potential trouble one can avoid early on. I just wish it was made a big deal that you can source this stuff from Proverbs (Wisdom), pursuing “The Good Life,” and avoiding pain later on instead of shame/guilt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you want to cultivate the virtues while avoiding the passions might i recommend...orthodoxy? :mrgw:

Tias
May 25, 2008

ThePopeOfFun posted:

On that note:

Reading some of the stories on r/relationships, legal advice, and personally knowing people etc., there’s a lot to be said for no alcohol/drugs, abstinence, forming intimate relationships later in life, and otherwise “clean living.”

Obviously, it doesn’t always work out and there’s two sides to everything, but as I age, I’m seeing how much potential trouble one can avoid early on. I just wish it was made a big deal that you can source this stuff from Proverbs (Wisdom), pursuing “The Good Life,” and avoiding pain later on instead of shame/guilt.

Yeah, I started drinking hard at 12-13, and drugs soon after before hitting hard drugs and a speedy deroute in my twenties, and nearly all of my formative years were a living nightmare. I'd much rather have been raised in a little too happy church group where I was kept away from that poo poo while still impressionable. That said, I probably wouldn't want to be raised by Indre Mission, what with the intense hatred of "sins" like board games and dancing, not to speak of women and gay people.

It does raise some interesting questions though. I say I wouldn't want to have been a hard living addict, sometimes homeless, kid of alcoholics - but on the other hand, maybe I wouldn't have gotten faith and live the life I do now if not for my past. Looking at it through those lens, I wouldn't change a thing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

For real. There’s a guy in my church whose church stood him and his wife up and publicly shamed them for going to...Sea World. Everyone could do with less of that.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

A Russian Antarctic research worker tried to kill another dude for repeatedly spoiling the endings of the books he was reading. Guess where they sent him while they arranged for him to be sent home:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...rch-for-10-days

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
to be fair, if I were on Antarctica, I'd probably consider that entirely justifiable homicide.

Tias
May 25, 2008

All newspapers have pulled it again, so it's probably wrong to some extent.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that church is not creepy, it's adorable

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://youtu.be/J-CUJxIQkpA

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

HEY GUNS posted:

It reminds me somewhat of the church in Eklutna, Alaska.

But if that's what Vice considers "creepy"...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

For real. There’s a guy in my church whose church stood him and his wife up and publicly shamed them for going to...Sea World. Everyone could do with less of that.

i mean, sea world does mistreat wild animals and negligently kill their employees

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

It reminds me somewhat of the church in Eklutna, Alaska.

But if that's what Vice considers "creepy"...

i love small russian-style churches when they get all square

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

I like how they arranged the iconostasis to conserve space.

Fake Edit: Ah, they changed the headline so it no longer says "creepy." Good for them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/eudaimonisty/status/1055802989758287873

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

someone who doesn't know how to pronounce "reese's"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GUNS posted:

speaking of which, this entire thread:
https://twitter.com/vandroidhelsing/status/1057310238431301632

Tias
May 25, 2008

God is, kinda, a strip of tendon pulsating at the center of the universe if you squint at him right.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

and antarcticchurch?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Read that entire thread.

The Antartic church is just a Russian orthodox church in a remote location. It looks rus/10, maybe the writer is just a babby.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a little tiny bit spooky, I guess. Looks really comfy on the inside though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hailthefish posted:

It's a little tiny bit spooky, I guess. Looks really comfy on the inside though.
it is a church that is also a tiny box :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is the church you go to if liturgy's at nine but you scramble the fighters at eleven

St. Barnabas, in Dasupoulis, Nicosia, Cyprus

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hailthefish posted:

It's fairly normal. Here's a tiny wooden church in Minsk, Belarus.

Hm... What's that to the left? Zoom out.

Oh.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Everybody look at this.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Having trouble not looking at it!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Sleng Teng posted:

Having trouble not looking at it!
don't look too closely at it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

this is the church you go to if liturgy's at nine but you scramble the fighters at eleven

Its cool how much better dumb space age architecture looks if you plaster paintings all over it instead of just leaving it offwhite

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
When Anglicans Break Bad part two

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

this is mostly pretty cool but that carpet, blech

do Orthodox not do stained glass windows? I guess I can't recall seeing photos of an Orthodox sanctuary that really had much in the way of windows, period

in b4 "glass is too modern"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

When Anglicans Break Bad part two

:stare:

I think it's understandable that the Church of England finished shelving exorcisms after that one.