Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

I've only had mine for a few years, but it's like 20 years old at this point and my arm rest is also cracked, but it doesn't affect the functionality. Another cool thing about Aerons is they are readily servicable. so if something is broken you can buy the part and swap it out without too much effort.

Except for the gas cylinder. I've not replaced mine yet (I have a replacement sat waiting), but by all accounts it's an absolute nightmare and the official maintenance instructions apparently contain sentences like "Hit with a hammer until loose".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

My Aeron was made in the November of 2001 and the only bit I've had to replace is the small pad under the front of the seat mesh.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Jaded Burnout posted:

Except for the gas cylinder. I've not replaced mine yet (I have a replacement sat waiting), but by all accounts it's an absolute nightmare and the official maintenance instructions apparently contain sentences like "Hit with a hammer until loose".

I took mine pretty far apart to clean it and I think the only part I needed a hammer for was the cylinder, which isn't unreasonable considering every time you sit on the chair you're wedging it all together over and over again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

vonnegutt posted:

it's just annoying how desktop computers are so limited in appearance. Every other appliance has a variety of aesthetic options available but suddenly once you go full pc master race you end up with a black and red pleather nightmare to sit in and a pressboard hutch to stick the keyboard on. I'm glad computers come in black and grey now as opposed to only being "Old Bandaid" beige but anything other than bare minimalism looks like it belongs in the nightclub in Blade.

Form factor is dictated by the internal components and the necessities of heat management. You could get something like the iMac fishbowl case if you want, but it's going to be mostly empty plastic shell.

That said, anodizing is pretty easy, and there's no reason you couldn't get your aluminum case done up in crazy paintball marker patterns if you're willing to pay someone to do the job. Personally, I don't mind having a featureless black box sitting unobtrusively next to the desk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vonnegutt posted:

it's just annoying how desktop computers are so limited in appearance. Every other appliance has a variety of aesthetic options available but suddenly once you go full pc master race you end up with a black and red pleather nightmare to sit in and a pressboard hutch to stick the keyboard on. I'm glad computers come in black and grey now as opposed to only being "Old Bandaid" beige but anything other than bare minimalism looks like it belongs in the nightclub in Blade.

My partially-in-jest previous comment aside, you should check out some of the things that people have been doing with tempered glass/glass-sided cases of late. Glass cases are like the hot new trend and I’ve seen some pretty elegant builds.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Form factor is dictated by the internal components and the necessities of heat management. You could get something like the iMac fishbowl case if you want, but it's going to be mostly empty plastic shell.

Yes, a PC case is most likely needs to be rectangular, have sides that can open, and exposed mesh/fans. But that's really it in terms of actual requirements. Heat management is not the reason every case has bright blue LEDs, racing stripes, or random angular panelling, all available in any color so long as it's black or grey.

Why aren't there any cases that look like a 1950s Chevy BelAir? Or have art deco stylings? Or even something as simple as a clean, rounded white that would look at home in a Pinterest office.

Mac figured out that not every computer owner is a corporate drone or a hacker edgelord, and they made money hand over fist for overpriced hardware because it looked cute to the rest of the population.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think most of the population stopped using desktop computers a decade or more ago, so everyone left uses one at their desk at work or is a PC gamer and doesn’t care or likes how PC cases look.

There’s no market at all for a computer that looks like a car.

I bet even Apple sells 10 MacBooks for every iMac they sell.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 30, 2018

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I actually have one a weird one:

I don't use it because it's loud as hell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RoastBeef posted:

:lol: do personal computers even put out enough heat that it would require a squirrel cage?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: do personal computers even put out enough heat that it would require a squirrel cage?

It's mostly normal inside, but that's mesh on the sides and it's all metal, so no sound dampening at all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I bet even Apple sells 10 MacBooks for every iMac they sell.

iMac revenue has been spiking recently thanks to the new Pro, but even then they make 6x as much revenue from iPhone sales as they do from all of their laptop and desktop lines combined.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

iMac revenue has been spiking recently thanks to the new Pro, but even then they make 6x as much revenue from iPhone sales as they do from all of their laptop and desktop lines combined.

And according to this morning's keynote they've sold more iPads in the last year than any computer manufacturer has sold notebooks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

Of course it is, but a nice way to get the sound of the sea in your place all the same, I'm sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does that have a 3.5” floppy drive?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A computer shell that's a totoro and cds go in his mouth

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RoastBeef posted:

Lian Li makes the best cases even if some of them are... Unique.

They also released a boat shaped case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Lian Li makes the best cases even if some of them are... Unique.

They also released a boat shaped case.

And a train. That moves back and forth on a track.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

vonnegutt posted:

Yes, a PC case is most likely needs to be rectangular, have sides that can open, and exposed mesh/fans. But that's really it in terms of actual requirements. Heat management is not the reason every case has bright blue LEDs, racing stripes, or random angular panelling, all available in any color so long as it's black or grey.

Why aren't there any cases that look like a 1950s Chevy BelAir? Or have art deco stylings? Or even something as simple as a clean, rounded white that would look at home in a Pinterest office.

Mac figured out that not every computer owner is a corporate drone or a hacker edgelord, and they made money hand over fist for overpriced hardware because it looked cute to the rest of the population.

Hacker edgelords are the only ones who really bother with how their case looks. Everyone else wants the computer to be an unobtrusive appliance that sits by your knee at the desk and gets dusted when you think about it (never).

Hence all the cases that look like anything other than a black/grey/beige box are made for the goonygoons.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like my small form factor pc case. It's just pointy and Sci fi looking enough to keep my boyfriend scared to touch it. It's gonna be our media\gaming center.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My PC case weighs 50lbs when empty. It's huge and ridiculous and refuses to be part of a carefully considered living environment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Even more surprisingly it looks too thick for that. I think it might be a Zip Drive

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

My PC case weighs 50lbs when empty. It's huge and ridiculous and refuses to be part of a carefully considered living environment.

Use it as furniture, install shelves in the unused drive bays, remove the side and fit a Murphy bed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Use it as furniture, install shelves in the unused drive bays, remove the side and fit a Murphy bed.

It's currently holding up half the weight of my rat cage.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

BigFactory posted:

It's from 2005.

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012
So I bought a house and I have a few questions about how to tackle a kitchen that I just... don't like.

Here is a the photo from the listing:

The countertops are quartz. As you can see there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it just feels very dark. It doesn't help that the whole house is painted some kinda brown-beige (and they didn't even paint the ceilings white! What kind of monsters...).

Here is another shot that shows the floor:

And for reference, this is the kinda thing that is extremely my jam:

Soapstone countertops, some kind of blue cabinets on the bottom and white cabinets on the top.

I am looking for advice/tips on how to tackle this space. I really don't want to jump right in with a full kitchen reno right away, so I was thinking of changing one thing at a time to try to lighten the space up.

We are starting by painting the walls a very light gray (cool-toned) and the ceilings the same white as the trim. I was thinking of doing the upper cabinets next... should I go with a cool toned white or a warm toned white? I will probably have to do the countertop and the lower cabinets at the same time if I am going with blue. Can I get away with keeping the floors or will that look bad?

Appreciate any tips or ideas for what to do with the space!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

pluckyginger posted:

So I bought a house and I have a few questions about how to tackle a kitchen that I just... don't like.

The countertops are quartz. As you can see there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it just feels very dark. It doesn't help that the whole house is painted some kinda brown-beige (and they didn't even paint the ceilings white! What kind of monsters...).

And for reference, this is the kinda thing that is extremely my jam:

Soapstone countertops, some kind of blue cabinets on the bottom and white cabinets on the top.

I am looking for advice/tips on how to tackle this space. I really don't want to jump right in with a full kitchen reno right away, so I was thinking of changing one thing at a time to try to lighten the space up.

We are starting by painting the walls a very light gray (cool-toned) and the ceilings the same white as the trim. I was thinking of doing the upper cabinets next... should I go with a cool toned white or a warm toned white? I will probably have to do the countertop and the lower cabinets at the same time if I am going with blue. Can I get away with keeping the floors or will that look bad?

So...you realize those are almost the same kitchen, except for the color, right? You don't have to reno anything, just painting the cabinets will get you 80% of the way to the "look" you want. Cabinets are annoying to paint so I would hire out for that if you have the $$.

Replacing the backsplash and countertop would be a lot more work / $$ so I would paint first and then see how you feel. I think it would be possible to get a blue that would look nice with the existing quartz and tile.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just paint the cabinets and then feel out the space once that’s done. It’s a bigger investment to start ripping things up.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Getting the ceiling painted white is going to make a huge difference in lightening the room up.

Especially if you have to wait to paint the cabinets, one little tweak I’d recommend is switching that pendulum light fixture to something with a whiteish glass rather than clear/exposed bulb. It’s pretty prominent and might break up the dark cabinets a bit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never seen repainted cabinet doors in real life that don't look terrible, you can always buy new cabinet doors though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
edit^^^ my parents place they just painted over old cabinets although its a bit more farm housey so not super sleek but they look really good. That was some varnished wooden doors to a creamy colour.

pluckyginger posted:

As everyone else said painting the cabinets and leaving the rest for now seems smart. The tiles on the wall behind the counter look like they are greens or turquoises? I know you said blue lower cabinets and if you hate that tile and want rid of it then never mind anyway, but maybe you could pick out one of those darker shades there for the lower cabinets? To i dunno tie it together.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2018

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've never seen repainted cabinet doors in real life that don't look terrible, you can always buy new cabinet doors though.

Well you have to remove all the hardware, strip the old finish off them completely, and then ideally get them sprayed. I've seen it look good when professionals did it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

pluckyginger posted:

Hurray, someone who doesn't want to live in a white box. The floor should be fine as-is. I'd go ahead and prime all the cabinets and then choose the particular shades of blue and white to go on them. If it were me (and it is because this is what I did in my kitchen) I'd paint the uppers the same as the trim and just let them recede into the wall.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The biggest improvement would be getting rid of that dumb WORD ART on the counter tbh

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are liquid sanding products that can help strip cabinets of their finish too. Easier than sanding by hand.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

The biggest improvement would be getting rid of that dumb WORD ART on the counter tbh

Yeah that space above the window is a much better place for an inspiringly-fonted ~family~

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think it looks nice

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s the furniture version of Infinite Jest

You have a problem with DFW bro?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

What is it...Think clean thoughts? Christ, that's worse than live, laugh, love.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Do you think it would be relevant to organise a thread amnesty where everyone said, anonymously, what they would be happy to spend on say a car, a pair of shoes, a meal? So I can understand how rich everyone is when I think about someone repainting their kitchen? Because I think I'm operating on a vastly different level to everyone else?

edit... sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I am not soliciting for a respray of my Lamborghini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you think it would be relevant to organise a thread amnesty where everyone said, anonymously, what they would be happy to spend on say a car, a pair of shoes, a meal? So I can understand how rich everyone is when I think about someone repainting their kitchen? Because I think I'm operating on a vastly different level to everyone else?

edit... sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I am not soliciting for a respray of my Lamborghini.

Ummm...what I would be happy to spend on some cars (yes, plural) and what I can afford to spend on a car (singular) are vastly different numbers.