Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Ccs posted:

He just wrote a big takedown of Abercrombie’s books in the Bonfire of the Genresthread if you guys wanna read that.
I’d say that Joe didn’t set out to write the first law out of a desire to subvert all fantasy tropes. He chose some to subvert and kept others that he liked or fit with the plot. The result is him writing a fantasy book to his tastes instead of a project that seeks to overturn all fantasy conventions forever.

no!

*slams hamfists on desk*

if he subverts one trope he must subvert them all SO EXPLAIN IT TO ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I read his review and it kinda made some interesting points but there were too many grammar errors and it made his arguments kind of hard to follow. Maybe it'l be more readable if he does a second draft.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think BotL is shadowboxing with the overenthusiastic fans out there who pretend the books are revolutionary works of art... Which I haven't seen but I'm sure exist.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Neurosis posted:

I think BotL is shadowboxing with the overenthusiastic fans out there who pretend the books are revolutionary works of art... Which I haven't seen but I'm sure exist.

me

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I read his review and it kinda made some interesting points but there were too many grammar errors and it made his arguments kind of hard to follow. Maybe it'l be more readable if he does a second draft.

"Gurkish" is actually how it's spelled in the books.

e:

Neurosis posted:

BotL is quite often trolling, or is maybe just an rear end in a top hat. He does occasionally say something interesting so I'd still read his posts even if most of it is probably intentional exaggeration and distortion.

What is the exaggeration and distortion?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 17, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t know your posts well, but you seem like someone I might have met in grad school who would occasionally show up in a Political Theory course thinking they were way smarter than they actually were because they were accepted into a top ranked comp lit program.

So, just for the record, you come off as someone who is kind of smart, but not nearly as smart as they think they are who choses to be a complete asshat based on their false assumption they are smarter than everyone in the room, when really they are only smarter than half the people in the room. Less than half if the room is a graduate level seminar in a PhD program.

He might not be smart, but it's quite likely he's still the smartest person on the room because the room in this case is the thread for discussing the novels of joe abercrombie

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e:

What is the exaggeration and distortion?

The poo poo about how the Gurkish and Shanka are code for modern Islam and black people rather than just lazy writing

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A human heart posted:

He might not be smart, but it's quite likely he's still the smartest person on the room because the room in this case is the thread for discussing the novels of joe abercrombie

lmao that's a low bar he fails to clear

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

The poo poo about how the Gurkish and Shanka are code for modern Islam and black people rather than just lazy writing

The Gurkish are explicitly inspired by Islam, specifically the Ottoman Turks. Also Arabic ghouls for some reason.

Also, what the gently caress is this stuff about Shanka and black people?

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

A human heart posted:

I'm dumb as hell and I kinda like Joe Abercrombie so I guess you are right

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The rallying cry of the Abercrombie fans: "I'm dumb as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
We're here, we're dumb as hell, let's post about it!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

The Gurkish are explicitly inspired by Islam, specifically the Ottoman Turks. Also Arabic ghouls for some reason.

Also, what the gently caress is this stuff about Shanka and black people?

Something something Shanka --> orcs --> black people. Or maybe my memory's off on that one, but I recall someone saying it and I thought it was you; perhaps I have unfairly tarred you with the brush meant for some other iconoclast with hot takes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OK, I've taken the time to digest your post and dang. Harsh, but fair enough. I've added Svejk and Vanity Fair to my reading list. I'd give your other posts a look but I haven't read any of the other fantasy/sci-fi stuff you've written about. Are you going to cover any of Mieville's stuff?

I'm talking about basic copy-editing, though. You're writing at a mid-collegiate level here and using a lot of fancy words so I found myself having to stop every couple paragraphs to figure out whether you're using some construction I haven't seen or if you'd just missed an error while editing.

I mean stuff like this:

"...not as any sort of authenticity to human."

Do you mean humanity?

"...but we abide by it insight..."

Its?

"...testify on what remains of man..."

This may be more of a stretch but that should probably be "testify to".

"This is pure an example of fantasy one may find:"

"...as pure ... as one may find" maybe?

"...the function of popular art restores to us vitality that which we have lost in our everyday lives."

For the second half of this sentence, use "that" or "which", not both. For the first, consider "the function of popular art is to restore..." or maybe "popular art functions to restore..."

"his books sell for the same reasons as overrated movies"

I'd go with "that" instead of "as" here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I mean stuff like this:

Thank you for the feedback! :) Whenever I write I end up rewriting and rearranging the same sentences so many times that they end up like that.

e:

Neurosis posted:

BotL is quite often trolling, or is maybe just an rear end in a top hat. He does occasionally say something interesting so I'd still read his posts even if most of it is probably intentional exaggeration and distortion.

Neurosis posted:

Something something Shanka --> orcs --> black people. Or maybe my memory's off on that one, but I recall someone saying it and I thought it was you; perhaps I have unfairly tarred you with the brush meant for some other iconoclast with hot takes.

:ironicat:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
You are not an icon I am desecrating my friend.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I like that Joe realised the orcs in the original trilogy were a mistake and so never ever brought them up again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The series was a mistake

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A human heart posted:

No, he probably isn’t.

In any case smart people like and discuss genre literature all the time. gently caress, my wife is one of the smartest people I have ever met and is an honest to god scientist, far surpassing my feeble Political Science PhD smarts, and she liked to post about lovely televisions shows like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries. :eng99:

In any case, I have never met this person in real life, nor even read his posts outside this thread. I base my comments on my experience, and he comes off just like I said he does. As a comp lit grad student who mistakenly views the fact they are well read (and we are talking about fiction) with being super smart. Then they act like assholes based on their perception of their own intelligence.

The sad part is they are often led to this belief in a very Hegelian way, since they surround themselves with people who treat them as “super smart” because they are not well read themselves.

Once they get to grad school though, they very rarely make it past the first year or two because people stop treating them like they are smart just because they have read a bunch of novels.

That being said, its just as likely, this being a corner of the internet, that he is trolling by intentionally trying to come off that way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

No, he probably isn’t.

In any case smart people like and discuss genre literature all the time. gently caress, my wife is one of the smartest people I have ever met and is an honest to god scientist, far surpassing my feeble Political Science PhD smarts, and she liked to post about lovely televisions shows like Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries. :eng99:

In any case, I have never met this person in real life, nor even read his posts outside this thread. I base my comments on my experience, and he comes off just like I said he does. As a comp lit grad student who mistakenly views the fact they are well read (and we are talking about fiction) with being super smart. Then they act like assholes based on their perception of their own intelligence.

The sad part is they are often led to this belief in a very Hegelian way, since they surround themselves with people who treat them as “super smart” because they are not well read themselves.

Once they get to grad school though, they very rarely make it past the first year or two because people stop treating them like they are smart just because they have read a bunch of novels.

That being said, its just as likely, this being a corner of the internet, that he is trolling by intentionally trying to come off that way.

Take a moment to appreciate that this dude typed all of this out in response to someone criticizing the inclusion of orcs in a book.

e:

ZombieLenin in his profile posted:

I'm a graduate student. I do stuff. I also use logic to respond to immature pedantic drivel that is spewed forth upon the Internet. This makes me an obnoxious jerk, but I wouldn't be this way if you weren't spewing forth pedantic drivel, name calling

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 17, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

"You're black! " screamed the ur-pot at the kettle

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I like that Joe realised the orcs in the original trilogy were a mistake and so never ever brought them up again.

Or it’s just that the Skanka only add something to the story if the story is about stuff that Kanedias left lying around the world that cause trouble for everybody. The Divider, his possessed demon daughter, the Seed, and the shanka were all part of his legacy. The original trilogy put all that to rest so there’s not really a reason to show the Shanka again.

Now it’s all gonna be about immortal wizards trying to harness new technologies to kill each other with. I’m actually not sure if I’m going to like the series as much without magic.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

there was a belgian couplet written in 1910 that did that concept much better anyhow

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Lay of Kirieleison de Montalban? One of my favourites.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i was thinking more of Les Escalades de Leopold et Gilbert but those kinds of stories were kind of the hunger games of that time

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

there was a belgian couplet written in 1910 that did that concept much better anyhow

haha wrecked

i respect all the effort BotL puts into his trolling because it's anything but lazy, but yeesh what a jerk

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
I finished the trilogy the other week and I’m having fun reading best served cold :)

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
So this dude organized a grimdark sale event with other self-published or little known types to unload their books for 99c for the next few days. Some of them don't look terrible.

Worth looking into if you're trying to scratch an itch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You can just scramble those stupid-rear end blurbs and you couldn't even tell the difference.

A deformed genius plots vengeance while struggling to survive. A wastrel prince comes of age, finding a power he never imagined. A tale of love and betrayal in a ruthless matriarchal world.

Thao has no memory of who he is or how he became a contestant on America’s deadliest gameshow. He's also the only thing standing between mankind and utter annihilation.

A pair of mercenaries are accused of switching sides in a bitter feud, while an exiled court wizard forms a crew of vigilante bounty hunters.

He has no name. His past is a mystery. Can the pirates unite to save their way of life?

To make a Blade sharp enough for revenge, an ex-miner flees from a manslaughter charge to become an enforcer.

In this stunning dark fantasy, a deadly mercenary is hired to rescue a kidnapped lord. The killers that make up the rest of the competition don’t care.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 5, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bad covers, bad covers everywhere. Makes me appreciate how tasteful the first run of Joes book covers were when they first came out, before getting replaced with bad photoshop beefy arms like in that lot. The newest run of his books are back to good covers though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ccs posted:

Bad covers, bad covers everywhere. Makes me appreciate how tasteful the first run of Joes book covers were when they first came out, before getting replaced with bad photoshop beefy arms like in that lot. The newest run of his books are back to good covers though.

Yeah I am so thankful I was able to get the trade paperbacks with the burning maps.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Someone should read those and tell me if any are good. Please? Also self published book covers are always the best.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Destro posted:

Someone should read those and tell me if any are good. Please? Also self published book covers are always the best.

I bought a few of them. Been reading this Kings of Paradise and it's pretty good. Nothing revolutionary, but as BOTL would remind us all, there's no such thing as original any more.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Destro posted:

By best do you mean most dreadful offences to design artwork?

Suxpool posted:

I bought a few of them. Been reading this Kings of Paradise and it's pretty good. Nothing revolutionary, but as BOTL would remind us all, there's no such thing as original any more.

His posts are his proof.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

See, even as parody covers they're still better than the photobashes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone subvert any tropes lately?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Go tend to your Bonfire thread, it's languishing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My rear end does this every morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2018/10/30/progress-report-october-18/