Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if management lets you choose to write applications targeting windows, management is deeply unsound

so what? close tickets, get paid, go home. when the company gets intolerable there'll be somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tef posted:

reading the thread, lots of things have been written in lisp

- people's emacs macros, but not emacs, i mean, emacs is a lisp emulator + an editor also called emacs and only the latter is mostly lisp

- scripting language for an app written by a lisp liker who was forced to use c or c++ (gcc rtl honorary mention)

- scripting language for a game

- a web shopping cart that got rewritten in perl to make it usable

- a web discussion forum written in 'the hundred year language' which used mzscheme/plt/racket underneath and removed unicode support

- another web site that got rewritten in python as soon as they got funded by the lisp liker

also none of these are compatible in any meaninfgul way and any lisp from one would have to be rewritten to be used in the other

y'know given the turing completeness of string templating and yaml, you might argue that more programs are written in it than in lisp

the saltiest take

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah i like the first one better

:tipshat:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shame on you for omitting ita software / orbitz, an application every living american interacts with

Mostly accurate but y'know some Americans probably can't afford airplane tickets ri *looks at username* uh carry on

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I book my flights through the airlines directly op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you don’t have your Amex concierge book your travel?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Ron Garret put up a list of the Lisp stuff at JPL including the project that led to OpenMCL and Clozure Common Lisp

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I head down to the mall and berate the person who works there as a travel agent into giving me a great deal

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I wonder if ita mgmt likes being the only commercial lisp user or if their code is just really terrible and impossible to replace

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm jealous of actually-working generics

i am not jealous of working for morons who can't see past the hole in their backside

yeah but you work in finance though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

yeah but you work in finance though?

a blessed windows-free zone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I wonder if ita mgmt likes being the only commercial lisp user or if their code is just really terrible and impossible to replace

there have got to be some people still buying lispworks and Franz lisp because the companies still exist and employ people after all these years

between 1990 and now we have gone from three lisp software vendors to two

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

between 1990 and now we have gone from three lisp software vendors to two

or in their jargon, cdr

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Xarn posted:

Says the person weirdly obsessed with shoes doing short temp contracts in finances.

come on, he’s worked long term at 700 companies in his career

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Clozure gives away CCL and makes money on consulting/support so it’s kind of a vendor as well

also you can still purchase an OpenGenera 2 license from Symbolics-DKS to run under Tru64, and you can get a support contract, so they technically count even if almost nobody is actually buying a new license

(the reason almost nobody is buying a new license isn’t “gotta run it on Tru64” but “you want HOW MUCH?!” for very unfortunate reasons)

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 30, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

one nice thing is that the source to both OpenGenera and the emulator it runs on “became available” and people have made the emulator run on x86-64 where it screams (even on my quad-core Atom GPD Pocket)

also it gives you some very interesting UI designs, like a scroll bar that requires a three button mouse to use properly

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well i guess someone's paying for ibm mainframe support contracts

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

or in their jargon, cdr

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

or in their jargon, cdr

lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this isn’t true

i mean good for you for avoiding tech you hate or w/e but there are windows finance shops

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
tef you forgot "the configuration syntax for the sound on linux that never works"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
oh I remembered another great lisp success story: the amiga os installer utility (which somehow has a dedicated wikipedia page)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol

https://github.com/sodero/InstallerLG/blob/master/src/parser.y

what's the point of making a lisp if your going to use a yacc grammar to describe every possible function signature

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
people like to conflate lisp with s-expressions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redleader posted:

well i guess someone's paying for ibm mainframe support contracts

ibm's two quarters of revenue growth in the sea of descent were due to people buying new mainframes lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Zlodo posted:

lol

https://github.com/sodero/InstallerLG/blob/master/src/parser.y

what's the point of making a lisp if your going to use a yacc grammar to describe every possible function signature

wtf seriously why would you do that

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Is Flutter any good for making mobile apps? Only saw YOSPOS making fun of Dart 2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

or in their jargon, cdr

i am in such awe of this burn i cannot merely empty quote and move on

my face physically twisted into a long forgotten grimace that might pass for a chuckle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xarn posted:

Says the person weirdly obsessed with shoes doing short temp contracts in finances.

i am a neurotic Unix greybeard with dozens of useless computers in my house, but what yospos considers weird is that I know it matters how we dress for work

here’s a hot take: shower daily. wear something different from what your mom bought you in high school

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
work fashion chat, everyone tells me i have a really nice bag

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it is a nice bag

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

work fashion chat, everyone tells me i have a really nice bag

this is pretty advanced material for yospos

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am a neurotic Unix greybeard with dozens of useless computers in my house, but what yospos considers weird is that I know it matters how we dress for work

here’s a hot take: shower daily. wear something different from what your mom bought you in high school

I work in my underwear sometimes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I work in my underwear sometimes

this is only acceptable if it is a flannel union suit w/ butt flap

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is only acceptable if it is a flannel union suit w/ butt flap

boxer briefs. I am sorry that this is unacceptable to you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have some canadian boxers that are also like the non-boxer underwear wrt supportiveness and it’s real nice, thanks bezos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I dress more smartly than my boss’s boss’s boss, and that still means comfortable jeans and whatever shoes I like (i wear what you’d call waiter shoes because they look nice and feel great and it’s actually quite rare for people to get down on their knees next to me to peer at the label)

sorry you work in an ibmesque hellhole I guess?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he works long term at hundreds of companys

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol if you want a job where the boss cares about your shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

my director wears black socks with sandals, so ive got free reign to dress like a moron