Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Huh, I thought Kindle release times were 12:00 am, Eastern. Is it up to the publisher? I just wanna read a little bit of Baru before bed. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

It just showed up on mine! Make sure you sync and check again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:siren: Monster Baru is ou-

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

It just showed up on mine! Make sure you sync and check again

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just got mine. Should be up for everyone.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

lol, I've been refreshing my kindle since 11:55 in excitement.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I can't watch, I'm going to bed

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My Kindle is betraying me. :argh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I just got the email saying that my pre-order has completed and I can read it now, but my new kindle is due to arrive tomorrow so I'm going to wait for that to get here before I dive into it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What a time to be alive. I just re-read a bunch of WW2-ish fiction from Rob White (Torpedo Run, The Frogmen, Secret Sea, etc.), which were serious favorites from my childhood... and they held up on a re-read. Nostalgia so rarely gets vindicated like this.

Now I have a new Laundry novel from Stross and the new Baru Cormorant book. This week was going to be good anyway this is just amazing literary icing on the cake.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mllaneza posted:

What a time to be alive. I just re-read a bunch of WW2-ish fiction from Rob White (Torpedo Run, The Frogmen, Secret Sea, etc.), which were serious favorites from my childhood... and they held up on a re-read. Nostalgia so rarely gets vindicated like this.

Now I have a new Laundry novel from Stross and the new Baru Cormorant book. This week was going to be good anyway this is just amazing literary icing on the cake.

a what

https://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-In...=charles+stross

you can't fool me, it doesn't release until October 30, like Monster Baru

edit: Apparitor's clipboard :stare:

not a surprise, exactly

double edit: okay this is going to be nightmarishly good, I already have shivers

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 30, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Failson Baru Cormorant flies into kindles this halloween season

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
All this freaking out made me panic buy a Kindle.

So, thanks? I don't really like keeping books around anyway and I usually donate them to the library when I'm done reading them. I guess I'll have to give them money instead.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What are people's thought of the manifold trilogy?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

I can't watch, I'm going to bed

So, when is The Social Justice Warrior Baru Cormorant out?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A human heart posted:

The Failson Baru Cormorant flies into kindles this halloween season

The male version is Barry you dweeb

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

minema posted:

And the hard copy can be pre-ordered but it says it won't be delivered for a month :(

I've had mine preordered a few months and it turned up today! I also recieved the email from Amazon saying it would be delayed a month. It's not the usual amazon packaging though so might be some third party actually distributing it for some reason but hey, got mine.

Just finished Morgan's Thin Air, usual strong stuff from him. I thought his concept of the colonisation mars was great and a little different from other authors ideas. I've seen before the usual criticism of his novels as "all the same", but he always manages to make the same archetype of a protagonist have a good reason for being an elite hardcore psychopath that ties into the underlying themes.

Excited for Baru now. Remember to leave Goodreads/Amazon reviews lads.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

drat it I can't even read 2 Baru 2 Furious :( I got super busy with work and never managed to reread the first book in anticipation. I guess I'll just have to bookmark your black bars and come back in a few months.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Baru 2: Electric Barugaloo download complete! :woop:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
All you lot reading Ba2u, but my coin flip came up the other way and I'm enjoying a nice cozy Stross fantasy where the British government is strong and stable and actually has a plan for leaving the EU.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Enjoying Baru 2. But I am curious, General Battuta, if Carradine Farrier looks anything like this:

Based on his description early in chapter 5

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

All you lot reading Ba2u, but my coin flip came up the other way and I'm enjoying a nice cozy Stross fantasy where the British government is strong and stable and actually has a plan for leaving the EU.

That's... one viewpoint of CASE NIGHTMARE RED, sure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I beta read that Stross book and gave some feedback about the ending, I'm super curious to see if it made it in.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

First thoughts on Baru2 as I work my way through it:
I love the map "gently caress this place", especially the device on the left with the cormorant on top.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Okay I need to find which box I put my kindle in when I moved so I can Baru it up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

General Battuta posted:

The male version is Barry you dweeb

Baru Bluejeans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grimson posted:

Enjoying Baru 2. But I am curious, General Battuta, if Carradine Farrier looks anything like this:

Based on his description early in chapter 5

well, he does now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ccs posted:

Okay I need to find which box I put my kindle in when I moved so I can Baru it up.

https://read.amazon.com

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Is anyone else still not able to buy a Kindle version of Baru 2?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

notaspy posted:

What are people's thought of the manifold trilogy?

I've read bits of the third one, didn't do much for me, I much prefer the XEELEE series.

It didn't make me want to go back and pick up 1&2.

Interested to hear another opinion.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
dead tree Baru 2 was waiting for me when I got home! Another preorder heard from.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

cptn_dr posted:

Are you trying to buy it on desktop or mobile? Because you can't buy kindle books from mobile for whatever reason.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright Baru is downloading on my Kindle now. First time I've started the thing up in about a year.

Apparently I also have Malazan books 8 and 9 on it and I don't think I've read them? So I guess I'll be reading those too over the next few weeks.

Oh yeah

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Are you trying to buy it on desktop or mobile? Because you can't buy kindle books from mobile for whatever reason.

They don’t want to give 30% to Apple or Google.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

book 3, the Big Jerk Baru Cormorant

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

You absolutely can on Android, you just click the Store button at the bottom.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

cptn_dr posted:

I'm having exactly the same problem.

You in the UK too? Tried it via amazon on desktop and mobile browser, the amazon on my phone and on my kindle itself and no dice with any of them.

Captain Monkey posted:

You absolutely can on Android, you just click the Store button at the bottom.

For most books yeah, I've done that literally hundreds of times. Doesn't work for The Monster Baru Cormorant though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

team overhead smash posted:

You in the UK too? Tried it via amazon on desktop and mobile browser, the amazon on my phone and on my kindle itself and no dice with any of them.

New Zealand. I've tried UK, US, and Australian Amazons on desktop, mobile and the kindle, and still no dice.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

cptn_dr posted:

New Zealand. I've tried UK, US, and Australian Amazons on desktop, mobile and the kindle, and still no dice.

I think it must be regional, I had a little play around and I can see it if I go to the USA amazon site through a USA proxy server, but that doesn't do me much good for buying it I don't think even if I did want to enter my amazon login info through a proxy server session.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Amazon gave me four bucks back on TMBC because of the preorder price guarantee thing, I hope this doesn't affect how much money went directly into goon pocket :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

For most books yeah, I've done that literally hundreds of times. Doesn't work for The Monster Baru Cormorant though.

I can't see it either.

Guess we Bezos is the real monster!