Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone just slightly surprised at the cost of both new Macs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They haven't announced a new iMac but I hope they get a silent refresh with the current Intel chips they're using. Unless we get a 'one more thing'

eames
May 9, 2009

base 799 4 core/8GB/128GB mac mini seems awesome with 10G and all these TB3 ports for external SSDs
new Macbook Air doesn't seem to have a fan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awe man it started already? poo poo I thought it was gonna be at 10 am PST.

Oh well!

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

eames posted:

base 799 4 core/8GB/128GB mac mini seems awesome with 10G and all these TB3 ports for external SSDs
new Macbook Air doesn't seem to have a fan

Base has 1g ethernet. It is upgradeable to 10g.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I’m way too excited about the new airs. It seems like Apple finally got their heads straight and realized what made the old versions so great.

The price is really surprising too.

Edit: whats the point of the MacBook, now?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HAHAHA new ipad pro is %25 less volume than the last one

I guess if you loving submerge it in water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Butt Savage posted:

I’m way too excited about the new airs. It seems like Apple finally got their heads straight and realized what made the old versions so great.

The price is really surprising too.

RIP rMB I guess?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

RIP rMB I guess?

Yeah I just don’t see the point of it now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Yeah I just don’t see the point of it now.

I kinda wish they'd have brought the MacBook name over but I guess the Air has a stronger brand awareness now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They stuck those cursed butterfly keyboards on the Air! drat it. Though the new screen looks nice. I'm going to have to try it out at the Apple store.

e: also it's only dual core. But fanless is good.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 30, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don’t really see the point of the non-touchbar Pro anymore either. Seems like the new Air is very similar in price and capability. Maybe they didn’t update the 12” MB and nTB Pro this year because they’re going to be discontinued as soon as the new Air goes up for pre-order.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So, they pretty much said the Mini has user upgradeable RAM right? Or did I misread that statement?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

touchbar was such a brilliant idea we didn't put it into our latest model...

lightning cable is so good for you, unless we have to compete with the 2-in-1 pc market...

i have pretty much been using wireless charging for my iphone but at least admit to this bullshit apple. admit to it! (gets dragged out by men in space grey suits)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

badjohny posted:

So, they pretty much said the Mini has user upgradeable RAM right? Or did I misread that statement?

Yeah the said it uses SODIMMs so it should be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

lightning cable is so good for you, unless we have to compete with the 2-in-1 pc market...

i have pretty much been using wireless charging for my iphone but at least admit to this bullshit apple. admit to it! (gets dragged out by men in space grey suits)

The iPhone was never gonna get USB-C its too fat

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 30, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Specs are now up on Apple's web store.. they're still selling the OG Air with a slight speed bump, it maxes out at 8 GB and 512 GB SSD.

The 13-inch with Retina display can go to 16 GB RAM and 1.5 TB SSD. Uses a USB-C 30W power supply.

Has two TB3 ports and supports external GPU.. kinda 'why' there since you're limited to a dual core CPU, but whatevs..

gently caress, I actually want a Mini now.. it's got all those ports!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah the new Air looks good for what it is. i5 dual core only is a bit of a bummer but it's fanless and I guess gives it some separation from the Pro. I expected if they're redesigning it for retina it'd get the crappy keyboard too, RIP. Fun story: I was at Fry's last weekend and the display MacBook Pros all had stuck keys to some degree.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

The Lightning port lasted 5 years at this point, there's no shame in moving on eventually.

Why would their cheapest laptop include an expensive TouchBar?

I really want an iPad Pro.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The move to USB-C makes it feel like the iPad is further from an iPhone and closer to a MacBook, despite the OS.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not even so much as a spec bump for the iMac. drat, I was really hoping to upgrade from my Mid-2011.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Air has a 3rd-Gen Butterfly Keyboard. Maybe it’s fixed?

I’ll probably buy one but I might wait for a tear down and a review or two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weedle posted:

The move to USB-C makes it feel like the iPad is further from an iPhone and closer to a MacBook, despite the OS.

Did the keyboard attachment on the iPad Pro not make this obvious?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Apparently the MacBook pros are going to be upgraded with radeon pro Vega gpu options next month?

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

I’m surprised, they just refreshed the MBP line. I assume this only applies to the 15” model since the 13” uses only a integrated gpu

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Goddamn it apple, you silently changed the color options on the rMB and did nothing else. It even still starts at $100 more than the MBA despite having last year's m3 in it. :psyboom:

eames
May 9, 2009

re USB-C: I think/hope this means iPhones will switch to USB-C soon.

Does Apple advertise the idle power consumption of the new Mac Mini anywhere?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to tech specs of computers, so I'm after a bit of help.

I'm looking to buy a MacBook with it's main use being editing videos for use on YouTube.

So, my plan was to pick up a 256GB 13" MacBook Pro as this seemed liked the best bet, based on my budget.

However, before I do this I want to ask whether this new Air would be suitable for my needs, or is the Pro still the best way to go? I kinda like the look of the new Air better than the Pro, but of course it's whether it'll be up to the job I want it to do.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

The Lightning port lasted 5 years at this point, there's no shame in moving on eventually.

Why would their cheapest laptop include an expensive TouchBar?

I really want an iPad Pro.
you see a usb-c cable on the new iphones? do you really think they're retiring the lightning cable or is it because they need their non phone line to compete against the 2-in-1s like the surface?

if the touchbar was of actual use to the user the new macbooks would have had them. the retina display would probably the first thing to get cut except people actually want the retina display. why is fingerprint id on there? because people actually used that. touchbar for most users is just an extra added cost to the macbook pro.

also those lightning earbuds that come with the new iphones are now incompatible with any of their other lines. before if you went ipad/iphone route for work or your main devices at least you could use lightning earphones on both, or maybe just deal with not having an option on the iphone and at least your ipad and macbook have headphone jacks. now you are essentially dealing with carrying extra dongles or having to carry more earbuds. the whole point of dongles was they were an intermittent step, and now it's basically, "here you deal with it. we're not going to help"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

eames posted:

re USB-C: I think/hope this means iPhones will switch to USB-C soon.

I hope as well, but isn't the USB-C connector too thick for the XS?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what the gently caress I still don't understand the rMB. who is this computer for now? the new air is literally better in every single way. better i/o, battery, camera, keyboard, display, gpu, cpu....

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Goddamn it apple, you silently changed the color options on the rMB and did nothing else. It even still starts at $100 more than the MBA despite having last year's m3 in it. :psyboom:

They've gone back to the pre-Second Coming of Steve level of having a confused as gently caress product line.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

what the gently caress I still don't understand the rMB. who is this computer for now? the new air is literally better in every single way. better i/o, battery, camera, keyboard, display, gpu, cpu....

I mean it was the same for the Mac Mini and MBA before this morning. rMB will now wither and die, finally being quietly axed in 2025. Meanwhile, they continue to unashamedly sell the Mac Pro at full price, so... :shrug:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pitwar posted:

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to tech specs of computers, so I'm after a bit of help.

I'm looking to buy a MacBook with it's main use being editing videos for use on YouTube.

So, my plan was to pick up a 256GB 13" MacBook Pro as this seemed liked the best bet, based on my budget.

However, before I do this I want to ask whether this new Air would be suitable for my needs, or is the Pro still the best way to go? I kinda like the look of the new Air better than the Pro, but of course it's whether it'll be up to the job I want it to do.

For video editing, I think you'll benefit more with a quad core in the MacBook Pro than the dual core in the MacBook Air. This is assuming you're looking at a Touch Bar model for the MBP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Airs are designed with the emphasis on longer battery life and weight, not performance.

The 13-inch Pro might still be a better bet, especially for video work. The emphasis on Pros is on performance..

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I kind of expected them to cull the Mac lineup after this announcement, but it looks like they’re heading for mid-‘90s levels of product overload and redundancy. We’ve got the MacBook, new MacBook Air, old MacBook Air, two 13” MacBook Pros, 15” MacBook Pro, four different iMacs, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro. I don’t even know why they still sell half this stuff.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Rabid Snake posted:

For video editing, I think you'll benefit more with a quad core in the MacBook Pro than the dual core in the MacBook Air. This is assuming you're looking at a Touch Bar model for the MBP.

Cheers for the info.

It's the non touch bar version I was looking at. I can't really justify the jump in price between the touch bar and non bar versions.

Binary Badger posted:

Airs are designed with the emphasis on longer battery life and weight, not performance.

The 13-inch Pro might still be a better bet, especially for video work. The emphasis on Pros is on performance..

Awesome, that's a huge help. Thanks.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

I don’t really see the point of the non-touchbar Pro anymore either. Seems like the new Air is very similar in price and capability. Maybe they didn’t update the 12” MB and nTB Pro this year because they’re going to be discontinued as soon as the new Air goes up for pre-order.

Nope, both the nTB Pro and MB are still there. I give the MB another year before it's discontinued. Even if they could explain it as being the ultra ultra portable, it wouldn't make sense to give the bigger one the Air designator.

It's kind of sad that I've come accustomed to Apple increasing prices over the past two years that I still can't believe the cost of the Air and Mini.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pitwar posted:

Cheers for the info.

It's the non touch bar version I was looking at. I can't really justify the jump in price between the touch bar and non bar versions.

if you want to do actual video editing you can't use the non touchbar version of the macbook pro. those are dual cores only. if you're video editing on a budget then it's probably not a good idea to buy an apple laptop unless portability is a heavy requirement and if it is better to invest in the high end macbooks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My guess is that they'll either do a speed bump and / or price refresh, or they'll keep it on but frozen at 2017 specs and pricing for several years before shitcanning it.

Christ, they're still selling the 2015/17 model as the adjectiveless option for MacBook Airs, which would probably cause even more confusion to a first time Mac laptop buyer. Do I get the old USB ports, or curse myself to the domain of a single USB-C, or shell out $100 less for two TB3 ports?

Something that strikes me as uncomfortable is that they mention that the Mini's T2 is also supposed to be used for offloading HEVC encoding for a 30X speed advantage over encoding with the CPU. Not that I'd want to, but doesn't that mean the Air's T2 should be able to do the same thing?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 30, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Butt Savage posted:

Nope, both the nTB Pro and MB are still there. I give the MB another year before it's discontinued. Even if they could explain it as being the ultra ultra portable, it wouldn't make sense to give the bigger one the Air designator.

It's kind of sad that I've come accustomed to Apple increasing prices over the past two years that I still can't believe the cost of the Air and Mini.

Some of that pricing and some of that is these loving tariffs.

I work for a network infrastructure company, and a whole new pricing structure goes into effect Nov1 because of the tariffs (and another bump in January).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My boss had me order the largest iPad maxed out with everything except cellular. I set it up for him on a Friday, and Monday morning he said "I don't know why anyone likes these. They're useless."

But he didn't give it back...