Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Sp

Rand Brittain posted:

To me, negativity is primarily an issue because, on Something Awful, it eventually hits a tipping point and the thread becomes a mutual Two Minutes Hate, forever, where people start slagging a fictional version of the property in question and actual discussion becomes impossible.

See the SFP thread.

Reminding me of SFP helped me realize why people poo poo on it and homestuck so much. Both started strong and got really bad, which led to a lot of disappointment. People complain about things that disappoint them far more than things they just didn’t like.

The SFP thread might be a bit hyperbolic but gently caress that comic shat the bed hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it can get reductive when people are no longer interested in discussing particular aspects of a thing and are just there to ritually post "thing bad", which is what mock threads tend to devolve into. This thread isn't there, for sure, but it's worth mentioning the phenomenon just because it would be a shame if it turned into that.

People obviously have strong opinions/emotions about Homestuck because this is the internet and we all still secretly care a lot about trolls, but I think we do a reasonably good job on the whole of keeping discussion level-headed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xinder posted:

Sp

Reminding me of SFP helped me realize why people poo poo on it and homestuck so much. Both started strong and got really bad, which led to a lot of disappointment. People complain about things that disappoint them far more than things they just didn’t like.

The SFP thread might be a bit hyperbolic but gently caress that comic shat the bed hard.

What the heck is SFP? I tried googling it and this is the first result: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver which I don't think is what you're talking about

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Strong Female Protagonist, which is a webcomic that started good and then went downhill. Honestly the SFP thread isn't terrible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Xinder posted:

Oh, yeah, nobody ever bothers to hate a piece of media if they didn't want to love it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
SFP brought us BotL's Clevin edits, which justified the existence of both the thread and the webcomic.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Clevin is a troll name

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, yeah, nobody ever bothers to hate a piece of media if they didn't want to love it.

:hmmyes:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

lmao

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the only homestuck thing I've seen from people I know irl is my ex-gf's 17yo daughter posting that "it's a silly thing I was into when I was a kid"

so really the positivity and negativity ITT is more balanced than my narrow experience of being like the only person I know in my life who is online enough to know who Hussie is (tho my less online friends post SBaHJ edits)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's definitely mostly an internet thing—it always was, but those troll shirts got out there fast

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Trickster Mode was... Interesting but ultimately pointless.

I think I would have liked it better if it didn't go hand-in-hand with the Dirk Drama, and also getting all the kids to their God Beds because That Is Where The Story Needed Them To Be.

"Roxy is imprisoned by the Condense" was one of the more interesting aspects of Act 6, I'm sad it ended because Tricksters. Especially when it was revealed HIC still acts exactly like Meenah.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I got Homestuck Book 3 in the mail today. My first exposure to Homestuck was [S]: Descend, bit weird finally seeing it in print. I might post some of the fun things I find in the commentary on this thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is Volume 3 the first new one -- that is, the first that isn't a reprint of the ones his site sold?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Technically the 2nd book contained the Midnight Crew Intermission, so it was the first newly printed material, but this is the first completely new book

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
One very interesting tidbit in the commentary is the note that a given character's villainhood correlates directly with their proximity and ability to interact with the meta of Homestuck's authorship. Given that at one point, Vriska speaks directly with Hussie, there are implications.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

and then he was decapitated by dave after never getting to see karkat again

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The ultimate payoff

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

One very interesting tidbit in the commentary is the note that a given character's villainhood correlates directly with their proximity and ability to interact with the meta of Homestuck's authorship. Given that at one point, Vriska speaks directly with Hussie, there are implications.

Vriska is the ultimate villain because rather than defeating the protagonists, she defeated us, the readers, by giving us a really lovely ending

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The assassination of Homestuck by the coward Vriska Serket

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Books, spinners and barbecue sauce: deployed snoon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

One very interesting tidbit in the commentary is the note that a given character's villainhood correlates directly with their proximity and ability to interact with the meta of Homestuck's authorship.

That means the true villain was already here

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
LE is a really lovely villain. He busted out of Scratch as a big spooky muscleman, and then he just kills ghosts for thousands of pages. The only plotline he even threatens is ghost Vriska pirate adventures, which at the point I’m reading has already lost relevance.

Jack was a way better villain.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

the narrative pretty much forgot about bec noir sadly

he got a hat once then disappeared until the climax where he was vanquished by a postal worker

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Xinder posted:

LE is a really lovely villain. He busted out of Scratch as a big spooky muscleman, and then he just kills ghosts for thousands of pages. The only plotline he even threatens is ghost Vriska pirate adventures, which at the point I’m reading has already lost relevance.

Jack was a way better villain.

Funnily enough, people had the same reaction to Jack when he started tele-stabbing kids

Hussie basically said that if you give Jack unlimited power and teleportation, he's really only going to do with it what he knows best: stabbing

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
At least he was a present threat to everyone, as he proved by telestabbing people on the reg. English isn’t even here. Just his kid self who also stopped being around after (admittedly really funny) puppet theater.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Xinder posted:

At least he was a present threat to everyone, as he proved by telestabbing people on the reg. English isn’t even here. Just his kid self who also stopped being around after (admittedly really funny) puppet theater.

He's already here :iiam:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually they were both villains who started being terrible when it became clear the entirety of their motivations was a vague urge to destroy. Wow, how exciting. They were both way more interesting when it seemed like they had a plan.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Plom Bar posted:

Funny thing is, Vriska is then defeated by people not interacting with her. We almost defeated her in Game Over then, only for a more difficult version of her to show up. The only true way to defeat Vriska was to give her the "win" over Lord English and then ignore her completely. Vriska and LE being the two villains and just taking each other out while the rest of the cast grow up seems fitting.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A proper epilogue would see Vriska take the place of English and ended up a hated, hunted, reviled being across all timespace who keeps showing up to universes to poo poo her luck all over things before being shoved back out into the hellish void.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Her eating entire universes would track too.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WilliamAnderson posted:

Funny thing is, Vriska is then defeated by people not interacting with her. We almost defeated her in Game Over then, only for a more difficult version of her to show up. The only true way to defeat Vriska was to give her the "win" over Lord English and then ignore her completely. Vriska and LE being the two villains and just taking each other out while the rest of the cast grow up seems fitting.

Except Terezi, who's inability to let go of Vriska isolates her from all of her other friends and prevents her from living her life.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Black August posted:

A proper epilogue would see Vriska take the place of English and ended up a hated, hunted, reviled being across all timespace who keeps showing up to universes to poo poo her luck all over things before being shoved back out into the hellish void.

Isn't that pretty much what happened

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Black August posted:

You really didn't like Vriska, didn't you

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I liked the version of her that developed as a character, then got shat on for not being terrible. Glad she eventually got a happy end with ghost terezi.

I stopped right before Collide today, since that’s apparently like 30 minutes long I’ll watch it tonight when i have time. Almost done with this poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vriska had a good arc that was ruined by Game Over bullshit.

She has to be the center of everything, and after she dies she does a hard 180 and stops giving a gently caress about English and everything. That’s also not a healthy attitude.

But then we got retcon Vriska and [sound of a wet fart].

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Spellman posted:

You really didn't like Vriska, didn't you

I actually loved her as a character and concept until Hussie got loving weird about her and then started to use her as a dull cudgel to beat the plot along. I despise her misuse and dishwater ending.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HIC actually had motivations which made her devolving into a mindless boss fight even more confusing

HIC wanted to:

Revive the troll race (As did Kanaya)
Escape/kill Lord English (As did Slick, Calliope, Roxy, Meenah, Aranea and Vriska)
Enjoy bad puns

and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

Vriska even makes a note of how weird it is post GAME OVER when they're all idling on the lilypad that Condy isn't coming to kill them.

She wasn't shown to be particularly nice to the cast, but she didn't exactly treat Roxy particularly poorly when she was imprisoned. She had been shown to be placated by bad fish puns, which is more a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Thing than actual villain in need of murdering thing.

Hell, Roxy had the most reason to dislike her of the cast, and Roxy STILL begged her for help when the Tricksters were coming.

Black August posted:

I actually loved her as a character and concept until Hussie got loving weird about her and then started to use her as a dull cudgel to beat the plot along. I despise her misuse and dishwater ending.

my fren have u herd the good word of Aranea Serket, who had the most successful character arc in Homes Tuck and was ultimately a more successful portrayal of Vriska than Vriska?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

that said it's probably because the comic ended, i'm fairly sure aranea would've ended up coming back undermining the whole point of her arc had it continued because hussie zahhak