Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mega64 posted:

While I'm on a roll, I went ahead and ripped all the battle voices. I went ahead and posted all those on the subreddit.

I kinda-sorta have text too, and I may do the other voice work in the future, but I want to get other projects done and squared away before I dive into all that.

You are a saint. Now my phone's notification tone is Therion's "Wa~hahahaha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do your methods apply to music as well?

There are some games with some tracks I wanna rip, but I haven't stumbled across documented procedures for ripping audio from Switch games.

It will likely vary from game to game. This is my first time doing any of this so I’m pretty much just searching random stuff and trying things until something works. Best to extract the files and see if you can find the file format for the audio, and see if you can search for similar solutions.

This method at least works with Octopath’s music, but there’s really no point in ripping it since there’s little difference between that and the official soundtrack.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mega64 posted:

This method at least works with Octopath’s music, but there’s really no point in ripping it since there’s little difference between that and the official soundtrack.

Tell that to my playlist with every character's battle extend theme leading into Decisive Battle 2!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Tell that to my playlist with every character's battle extend theme leading into Decisive Battle 2!

:hfive:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I finally went and bit the bullet on buying a Switch + this game, just got through Tressa's introduction, and... Well, I'm wondering what the general, non-spoilery recommended course of action is from here.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Do whatever you want. Go get Therion first so you can start robbing the map blind, but seriously, go wherever you want.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Regalingualius posted:

So I finally went and bit the bullet on buying a Switch + this game, just got through Tressa's introduction, and... Well, I'm wondering what the general, non-spoilery recommended course of action is from here.

Pick a direction or a character and head that way. You probably want to recruit all eight characters before heading off to anyone's Chapter 2.

Also, beware of the routes' Danger Levels. Those are a good indicator of whether or not you should be there.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It will likely vary from game to game. This is my first time doing any of this so I’m pretty much just searching random stuff and trying things until something works. Best to extract the files and see if you can find the file format for the audio, and see if you can search for similar solutions.

The avatars you made were awesome. How did you get access to the game files to rip all of this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anything open up or significantly change once all the characters are recruited? I remember giving this a go a while back and just sorta getting bored at some point during my third recruitment (but i'm also very easily distracted)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Does anything open up or significantly change once all the characters are recruited? I remember giving this a go a while back and just sorta getting bored at some point during my third recruitment (but i'm also very easily distracted)

Not really, beyond getting access to those characters' Chapter 2s which give you more boss fights and such.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hm. I'll keep giving it a chance, maybe the game needs difficulty to shine. Thanks much

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Hm. I'll keep giving it a chance, maybe the game needs difficulty to shine. Thanks much

Recruiting more characters does increase the power of random encounters and bosses in the first few cities until you have a full party of four, so that might make the gameplay more interesting?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Ciaphas posted:

The draw of this game is really in the battle system and the aesthetics (graphics, music). The story, such as it is, is perfunctory at best and completely forgettable at worst.

But still, for me, the combat is so fun and the game is so nice to look at and listen to that I love playing it. The combat gets substantially more complicated as the game goes on, but it never feels insurmountable.

If the battle system doesn't interest you, though, the game is probably not for you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shadow225 posted:

The avatars you made were awesome. How did you get access to the game files to rip all of this?

This may be a bit files-y so this is gonna be vague, but basically you'll need to back up your game files, then find a way to extract the romfs. It should result in a Kingship folder, and within are CRIWARE (audio files, which you'll need to convert from *.awb) and a *.pak file (everything else, either use Umodel to save (not export since this doesn't support Switch yet) the uasset/uexp files, or imo the better option, extract them all using QuickBMS and the Unreal Tournament/Engine 4 script.

If you want to rip the graphics:

Mega64 posted:

Basically once I ripped out the .uasset and .uexp files, I threw them into this program with 16b offset, b8g8r8a8_unorm setting, and with Switch swizzle active and drug the .uexp's into them. I had to mess with the width and height to get them to look halfway-decent, which auto-arranges everything, but otherwise I didn't really touch these.

I've been digging into the text a bit using a hex editor, but it's a mess and I'm not sure if there's a more reliable way to clean it up. Now that I've got a bit more time I'll probably work on figuring that out next.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 23, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ah, gotcha. I was not aware that Switch game back ups were a thing yet.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I hope the next game ramps up the party interactions and makes it so I don't need to keep one eye on a spreadsheet just so that I can see them all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Modus Pwnens posted:

I hope the next game ramps up the party interactions and makes it so I don't need to keep one eye on a spreadsheet just so that I can see them all.

Yeah, restricting all party interaction to missable "cutscenes" between your active party was a baffling design decision.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hot take: i hope the next game radically reworks the entire structure so all eight characters are actually participating in the same script

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m back with more questions!

I finally finished doing the Chapter 1 quests for all 8, and... I’ve got no clue if I’m diving in way over my head by trying to start with chapter 2 when most of my crew is still in the low to mid teens. Any particular recommendations?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

In pretty much every area/road of the first circle of towns there are optional dungeons you can explore for treasure, minibosses, and leveling.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Without dropping any spoilers, do each character have an "Ultima" type weapon they can work towards?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

m.hache posted:

Without dropping any spoilers, do each character have an "Ultima" type weapon they can work towards?

Not really? Weapons are usable by more than one character generally depending on what classes you have equipped.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Not really? Weapons are usable by more than one character generally depending on what classes you have equipped.

Well I guess I'm more thinking along the lines of "Excalibur" or the Meteo sword from FF6. One off Turbo weapons to work towards, or is there just a high end weapon shop near the end and I can equip the same thing on everyone if I have enough gold.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

m.hache posted:

Well I guess I'm more thinking along the lines of "Excalibur" or the Meteo sword from FF6. One off Turbo weapons to work towards, or is there just a high end weapon shop near the end and I can equip the same thing on everyone if I have enough gold.

The statistically "best" weapon of each type are one-off quest rewards unless you like grinding low odds drops from duels. That said, there's enough high end weapons with different niches to outfit everyone.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

The statistically "best" weapon of each type are one-off quest rewards unless you like grinding low odds drops from duels. That said, there's enough high end weapons with different niches to outfit everyone.

Perfect. The one-off Quest thing is what I was hoping for.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
There are the "Forbidden" weapons, which tend to have stupidly high attack, with a unique drawback that would effect those most likely to use it . The sword increases enemy physical attack, spear has speed -98, etc. You can have Tressa purchase them from NPCs fairly early on, but they are expensive.

Then you have the "Battle-tested" weapons which, aside from the axe, have the highest attack, great passives, but generally are not available until finishing certain characters' chapter 4. Then it's just quests, steal/purchase, or grinding NPC duels for a 1% chance.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Would anyone happen to have a quick and dirty map of where all of the shrines are?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Would anyone happen to have a quick and dirty map of where all of the shrines are?

It's on your in-game map. Any area that looks like a small semi-circle of pillars, partially collapsed, is a shrine. Further, when on a screen that has the entrance to a shrine a symbol will appear on the minimap.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

It's very appropriate that the final boss battle theme is the best track of the entire OST. Also very Final Fantasy VI-esque.

e: both the main theme and the ending theme are really loving good too though

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 28, 2018

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks for the help, I managed to go and grab them all last night.

I’ve already found that Dancer/Scholar is a monster at casting. Any other particularly standout combinations I should know about?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Everything is basically good. Having two scholars will carry you for a long time though. Basically for most of the game you can go with damage dealers but then later on it can be more optimal to have one damage dealer and the rest support/buff/debuff. You can switch jobs so easily so don’t feel like you need to lock them in.

Like I think I used Therion with Warrior for a long time but in endgame type fights he is best as a Hunter and using that Hamstring debuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you're going to go with two scholars for chapters 2-3 (I did) then have them both work through the Merchant and most of the Dancer skills so you get SP Saver (Merchant) and Second Wind (Dancer). Having those two equipped with half your SP usage and recover SP every turn, so you can basically cast magic indefinitely.

Tressa also makes for a good Scholar since you're probably building the Merchant passives with her anyways, and the Forbidden Spear has the highest Elemental Attack of the chapter 2-3 weapons. I didn't go that route with her since I didn't keep her in my party all the time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I started off with her, so I’ve got no choice unless I restarted. :v:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still enjoying this so far (...aside from being forced into taming to advance H’aanit’s plot), but I do not envy whoever’s inevitably going to try replaying this for an LP.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

I started off with her, so I’ve got no choice unless I restarted. :v:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still enjoying this so far (...aside from being forced into taming to advance H’aanit’s plot), but I do not envy whoever’s inevitably going to try replaying this for an LP.

Mega64 is starting an LP in a few days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All I've got left is Starseer and the Chapter 4s. I'm probably a bit over-leveled and the adv. jobs are clearly broken, but I wanted to get a chance to use them. Also making the lat parts of the game easier isn't really a problem for me. I just sort of want to finish this so I can another game though I'm still enjoying for the most part.

How bad is the end-game? I'd like to try it out but everyone makes it out to be pointless. Is it hard and tedious or just tedious? How much more time will it add-on?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All I've got left is Starseer and the Chapter 4s. I'm probably a bit over-leveled and the adv. jobs are clearly broken, but I wanted to get a chance to use them. Also making the lat parts of the game easier isn't really a problem for me. I just sort of want to finish this so I can another game though I'm still enjoying for the most part.

How bad is the end-game? I'd like to try it out but everyone makes it out to be pointless. Is it hard and tedious or just tedious? How much more time will it add-on?

It is both. The recommendation is to level all characters to 75 at minimum (and look up optimal setups because of the next part) and have a few hours to spare since its a 10 boss fight rush no saves.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh... that seems tedious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh... that seems tedious.

The reward for beating it is an item that turns off random encounters. The story reward is explaining how all the stories tie together, but like, thats it and a few sentences each at best.

Unless you love the combat just watch a youtube or search for the text since 8/10 of those bosses are also refights of the chapter 4 bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
There's also kickass music, but that's par for the course.