Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yudo posted:

I am. Call it anticipatory disappointment. While I think their defense is good, it is not good enough to carry the team, particularly if the run game stutters, they have to play from behind or a decent QB gets protection enough to exploit Washington's secondary. Also: Alex Smith.

Just about every team will lose a few they should, on paper, have won. They have shut down the likes of Elliot, Barkley, and McCaffrey--distinctly not bums--and perhaps Newton looked bad because of Washington's defense. All of those mental back flips are unnecessary if we accept the modest claim that their D is pretty good. I don't think they are a great team destined for a deep playoff run, but the assertion here was that they are the worstest 5-2 in the history of football.

Nah - just the past 10 years :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Play posted:

I mean, fair enough their D has performed well, and their defensive line is looking like a legit elite position group. But taking the team as a whole, 5-2 is pretty shocking. Alex Smith has been awful and their number one weapon is a 30 year old running back people didn't even think could play anymore.

33 ackshully

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Almost all of the games the Eagles have left are NFC East games, so time to reclaim the division and remove the disgustingness that is the Redskins at 5-2.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Philly segregated and full of racists? You're acting like the whitebread police dropped a bomb on a black neighborhood or something.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

predicto posted:

I'm not sure they are even top 10 in rushing. They are 16th in yards per rush. Of course, that is better than their 24th ranking in yards per attempt in the passing game. And a lot better than their 31st in average return on special teams.

Maybe not worst 5-2 team evar!1, but there's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on here

Oh right, that return man is make or break in today's NFL. There is no chicanery here: good defense, bad offense. Alex Smith.

And think about that. If you hate Washington you have already won: we have to watch Alex Smith for the next 3 years. He is awful, and it's not like there is a QB project in the oven.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is an idiotic lie

Sorry, not a lie:

“All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue,” says Giants co-owner John Mara, who for 24 years has worked for the team his family founded. “If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn’t one or two letters. It was a lot. It’s an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, moreso than any other issue I’ve run into.” - Giants owner John Mara explaining why they didn't bring in Kaepernick.

The Eagles have three quarterbacks better than any QBs on the Giants' roster. If they were in the Giants situation I'm pretty confident that they would bring in Kaepernick, just like they brought in Michael Vick when nobody else would.

If you want, blame it on Mara. He's the one blaming it on Giants fans.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1057153842339569664

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NotWearingPants posted:

Sorry, not a lie:

“All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue,” says Giants co-owner John Mara, who for 24 years has worked for the team his family founded. “If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn’t one or two letters. It was a lot. It’s an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, moreso than any other issue I’ve run into.” - Giants owner John Mara explaining why they didn't bring in Kaepernick.

The Eagles have three quarterbacks better than any QBs on the Giants' roster. If they were in the Giants situation I'm pretty confident that they would bring in Kaepernick, just like they brought in Michael Vick when nobody else would.

If you want, blame it on Mara. He's the one blaming it on Giants fans.

Wow you're not wrong but Mara's a raging moron then who deflected the blame to the fans. I don't think he gives two damns about the fans reaction, especially vocal minorities that write letters complaining about this or that. Simple matter remains if you take Kaep you get a million cameras and your team becomes about Kaep, not about whatever a billion dollar owner wants.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Earlier, you said:

Doltos posted:

I'm loling because NotWearingPants is freaking out over something no one brought up

So, why aren't they bringing it up?

The Giants are a team with two of the best skill position players in the league, and their careers are currently being wasted because the Giants have nobody that can play QB at a reasonable level and a poo poo offensive line. You know what's handy when you have a poo poo offensive line? A quarterback with some mobility. You know, a guy like Colin Kaepernick?

And it's not like the Giants have anything in the pipeline either. It's not like they have to worry about bringing in a vet that's going to interfere with the progress of the future franchise QB.

The only reasonable reason that the Giants could possibly have for not signing Kaepernick (other than racism) is they are worried about winning games and worsening their upcoming draft position following an already lost season. But if that's the worry, they don't have to play him. They could bring him in now, get him acclimated to the team/system and get him ready for next season.

But instead, they will probably go without picking a new QB in the draft and go with some poo poo FA like Sam Bradford next year. Have fun!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I think the Giants are a different kind of broke brained when it comes to QB, the other teams dodging Kaep have brought in other lovely QBs which have drawn attention to it. But the Giants have just done nothing...like not even :geno: levels of effort. They are 100% behind Eli until the end of the year then will draft their next prospect. Rookie QBs are now at a sink or swim level where you dont get a chance anymore to sit as No2 for the year if you are a top level draft pick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NotWearingPants posted:

Earlier, you said:

So, why aren't they bringing it up?

The Giants are a team with two of the best skill position players in the league, and their careers are currently being wasted because the Giants have nobody that can play QB at a reasonable level and a poo poo offensive line. You know what's handy when you have a poo poo offensive line? A quarterback with some mobility. You know, a guy like Colin Kaepernick?

And it's not like the Giants have anything in the pipeline either. It's not like they have to worry about bringing in a vet that's going to interfere with the progress of the future franchise QB.

The only reasonable reason that the Giants could possibly have for not signing Kaepernick (other than racism) is they are worried about winning games and worsening their upcoming draft position following an already lost season. But if that's the worry, they don't have to play him. They could bring him in now, get him acclimated to the team/system and get him ready for next season.

But instead, they will probably go without picking a new QB in the draft and go with some poo poo FA like Sam Bradford next year. Have fun!

I meant bringing it up here. Freaking out over Kaepernick doesn't help the situation or mean you're any more liberally passionate or whatever you're trying to prove here.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also the Giants didn't sign Kaep for the reason I listed before, which is true for the other 31 teams in the league you're not freaking out about. They continue to not sign Kaep because the seasons already lost and they want good draft capital next year.

He's also not this amazing QB everyone makes him out to be. Not that big of a deal having him or Sam Bradford or any of the other rotating journeymen.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/MattLombardoNFL/status/1057304368347791361?s=19

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Failing to finish a drive.....

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Won't sign a QB for peacefully protesting police violence against black people, cool with a white QB that tries to run down police officers in his car.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NotWearingPants posted:

Won't sign a QB for peacefully protesting police violence against black people, cool with a white QB that tries to run down police officers in his car.

Oh come on. I would be seriously worried about throwing stones like that considering we kept Riley "Fight every N*gger in here" Cooper on our team for over a year after that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Kyle Lauletta sucks anyways. Not the answer and probably wouldn't be any better than Eli.

According to that article he almost ran someone over two days in a row but you can't tell if he's just a bad driver or if he thinks he's above traffic rules

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Play posted:

you can't tell if he's just a bad driver

CyberPingu posted:

Failing to finish a drive.....

GiantsQB.txt

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, they were waiting for a QB who was willing to take direct action. Lauletta is the Malcolm to Kaepernick's King.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

Oh come on. I would be seriously worried about throwing stones like that considering we kept Riley "Fight every N*gger in here" Cooper on our team for over a year after that.

Seriously. There was nothing on the scouting report for Kyle Lauletta that he'd try to hit a cop with his car. He's loving obsessed with Kaepernick.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think it’s really funny how salty reporters are about the Cooper trade screwing the market up. Good job Jerruh!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

Seriously. There was nothing on the scouting report for Kyle Lauletta that he'd try to hit a cop with his car. He's loving obsessed with Kaepernick.

Yeah its such a dumb statement "Oh the Giants should have had the foresight to see this"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Vick led a team meeting with Cooper and the entire team and they agreed to forgive him, that was a player decision and not the management.

Also Golden Tate is an eagle for a 3rd round pick!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Tate really hasn't been himself this season. He's made some nice plays but I don't think I've seen him drop that many balls in the whole rest of his career in Detroit.

It's probably just a little slump though, his ability to make himself available to the quarterback and to rack up yards after catch should be a pretty big deal to the Eagles offense, especially getting another great third down target. Now they just need an upgrade at RB and you'd think they'll start scoring like last year's Eagles.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Lots of players (or hell people in general) perk up when they're moved into a different situation so I'm super pumped for this. And with the defense being just about as "good" as they were last year the Eagles need to be scoring more so yay offensive weapons!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also Golden Tate is an eagle for a 3rd round pick!

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1057337245823160321

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I opened twitter and some people think that this is a set-up so that Eli can remain the starter

what's it like being a good team I wonder

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Comp picks depend if the team letting him walk are active in free agency as well so Detroit could plan on being active next year

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Amy Pole Her posted:

Comp picks depend if the team letting him walk are active in free agency as well so Detroit could plan on being active next year

Lions will have a ton of open cap space so we almost certainly will.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tate is a very good WR he's a great addition.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Kempski threw some cold water on Jeremiah's idea of a 3rd

quote:

While I respect Jeremiah more than perhaps any other national analyst, I disagree with his optimism. To begin, there's a near zero percent chance that a 30-year-old No. 2 receiver will net anything close to a third-round compensatory pick. Only four were awarded a year ago, which is about the typical yearly average. Tate is not going to land one of the four highest contracts in the NFL next offseason.

A more reasonable expectation is probably a fifth-round comp pick (a longer explanation on that would be an extra thousand words),

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1057360153606045696

Can't find what they gave up yet.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Washington's secondary is an injury away from being broken. I'm still a bit surprised.

It cost them a 4th rounder, per nfl.com.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The cowboys right now are like a toddler playing with blocks. Oblivious, simple, and safe to ignore.

Way to go, Dallas.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Yudo posted:

Oh right, that return man is make or break in today's NFL. There is no chicanery here: good defense, bad offense. Alex Smith.

And think about that. If you hate Washington you have already won: we have to watch Alex Smith for the next 3 years. He is awful, and it's not like there is a QB project in the oven.

No, sadly. I have been a Skins fan since Sonny Jurgensen was a thing.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NotWearingPants posted:

Kempski threw some cold water on Jeremiah's idea of a 3rd

He's probably correct about that, but I don't see that as a huge problem. They can still get a pick back, and moving from the 3rd round to the 5th to upgrade your offense for the rest of the year doesn't seem like the worst idea.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Great pickup for the Eagles

Good pickup for the Skins

Cowboys lol

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
i'm annoyed the first eagles/skins game isn't for nearly another month. those are likely going to decide the division and i think both trades were pretty drat good. still think the eagles need more linemen because now lane johnson is hurt and jason peters is clearly done/old but oh well

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/1057635072390512642

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1058008524222021632