Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the accessibility elevator at the bottom of a pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Building transit for a fraction of the cost BEFORE a neighbourhood is developed?! No no, you propose the transit after the area has already fully built out except it was all built with only cars in mind and now it's too expensive and not suited to transit at all and the local nimby's are against it.

Note: we used to do this in the west but we're too stupid now.

Same reason why the bullshit "ghost city" narrative dried up- if you master plan city development to take into account planned migration before the masses show up you can keep rents and costs reasonable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Building transit for a fraction of the cost BEFORE a neighborhood is developed?! No no, you propose the transit after the area has already fully built out except it was all built with only cars in mind and now it's too expensive and not suited to transit at all and the local nimby's are against it.

Lol broheim the IRT Flushing line was the exception not the rule - and most of the borough around it ended up developing with just roads and buses while the Flushing line provided a nucleus of somewhat higher value plots that the poor couldn't afford.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm the accessibility elevator at the bottom of a pit.
I mean, if you're in a wheelchair in China the bottom of a pit is probably a real likely place for you to end up. So putting an elevator there is good thinking.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
It's ridiculous that infrastructure buildup is used in a negative manner in the US.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean, if you're in a wheelchair in China the bottom of a pit is probably a real likely place for you to end up. So putting an elevator there is good thinking.

half the videos on liveleak are of chinese people falling into a bottomless pits

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sincx posted:

It's hilarious how the English teachers in the GBS China thread rationalize, whitewash, and try to use "whataboutism" whenever someone mentions anything that challenges their ideology of western (i.e. white) supremacy (in this case, US gun violence). Which is what they constantly accuse this thread of doing with respect to China. What a bunch of projecting hypocrites.

Are you saying that European countries... aren’t western?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I'm not following that. Also most English teachers in Asia skew way left so?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

It's hilarious how the English teachers in the GBS China thread rationalize, whitewash, and try to use "whataboutism" whenever someone mentions anything that challenges their ideology of western (i.e. white) supremacy (in this case, US gun violence). Which is what they constantly accuse this thread of doing with respect to China. What a bunch of projecting hypocrites.

Buddy what’s going on

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Building transit for a fraction of the cost BEFORE a neighbourhood is developed?! No no, you propose the transit after the area has already fully built out except it was all built with only cars in mind and now it's too expensive and not suited to transit at all and the local nimby's are against it.

Yeah but with the taxes needed to do it would elon musk have been able to send a car into space playing rocket man if I remember correctly, no, he wouldn't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
As the second piece of art made outside the atmosphere it was a very moving moment for me personally. Along with the martian dick, it really tells a lot about who we are as a people.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/15/chinas-great-leap-backward-xi-jinping/

I guess this is just some sexpat teacher misunderstanding the wisdom of the Eternal Leader Pooh

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darkest Auer posted:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/15/chinas-great-leap-backward-xi-jinping/

I guess this is just some sexpat teacher misunderstanding the wisdom of the Eternal Leader Pooh

That’s some great crocodile tears, the white media has always been the boy crying wolf about big evil china, now even bigger and more eviler.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

big evil china, now even bigger and more eviler.

Seems pretty accurate if you happen to interact with China at all, for example if you live here :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah but with the taxes needed to do it would elon musk have been able to send a car into space playing rocket man if I remember correctly, no, he wouldn't.

The project depicted for the US was a private company with pretty much no tax compensation from the city for that project.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If you have too many males, and not enough females, a good way to balance it is to send the extra males to a war to die.

Or videogames. Either way work.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tei posted:

If you have too many males, and not enough females, a good way to balance it is to send the extra males to a war to die.

Or videogames. Either way work.

Or import females from other, worse off countries and make it somebody else's problem. Or all three.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just send the excess male population of China to cuck the sexless anime nerds in Japan, solving two demographic catastrophes in one move.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Suprised china hasn't tried to make being gay hip and cool to deal with their surplus dudes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I'm not following that. Also most English teachers in Asia skew way left so?

They skew racist

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

sincx posted:

VD hentai.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

sincx posted:

Lol, the excess Chinese males are exactly the same as the otaku in Japan. They watch the same animes and jack off to the same waifus.

You'll find that the Chinese surplus men are actually villagers who spend their time playing cards and watching TV until their parents buy them a girl from south east Asia. These dudes exist in Japan and western countries too though.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

sincx posted:

Lol, the excess Chinese males are exactly the same as the otaku in Japan. They watch the same animes and jack off to the same waifus.

urban middle class men in china don't have problem getting wives since they can just marry down the socio-economic ladder

also gender imbalance isn't a thing in urban areas, it's a rural problem

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

That’s some great crocodile tears, the white media has always been the boy crying wolf about big evil china, now even bigger and more eviler.

I agree they lynch negros in america after all and white media never cries about that in order to support cpaitalist imperialist american order

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

They skew racist

They're the racists from liberal parts of the country, it's true

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

They're the racists from liberal parts of the country, it's true
There are liberal parts of China?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grouchio posted:

It’s the parts with the stock markets

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Grouchio posted:

major urban areas in almost any country are liberal relative to the country as a whole

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So China issued a veto in UN Security Council over Myanmar’s Rohinga genocide :smith:

I was jokingly saying that we should remove the permanent positions of China, USA, Soviet Union.

And people in the PRC that China is not protecting or offering citizenship for the Ethnic Chinese refugees because they don’t want to be seen as supporting rebels in Myanmar

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

caberham posted:

So China issued a veto in UN Security Council over Myanmar’s Rohinga genocide :smith:

I was jokingly saying that we should remove the permanent positions of China, USA, Soviet Union.

And people in the PRC that China is not protecting or offering citizenship for the Ethnic Chinese refugees because they don’t want to be seen as supporting rebels in Myanmar

Well I got good news for you about the Soviet Union.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

caberham posted:

More like china is just as xenophobic of muslims as myanmar.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

More like china is just as xenophobic of muslims as myanmar.

Ideas are not more important than people but of all ideologies religion is the one that seems to empower the most violent guys

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...2f68739085067d7

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
"Xenophobia" seems to me like a wrong label to apply entirely. It's not some subjective fear of difference, it's ruthlessly trying to force a subordinate nation to stay in line, and supporting other countries doing the same is a natural part of the campaign, sort of like how all apartheid regimes mutually assist(ed) each other regardless of the different demographics they were suppressing. Islam here is just an arbitrary exploitable cultural separator within the specific country, the actual motivation is non-ideological. Really all these concepts of "phobias" function almost like propaganda to assign the responsibility for bad things to unenlightened individuals, forming a pretense to support more enlightened individuals (a western(ized) liberal elite, basically) taking or keeping power from them, as if an ideological paradigm shift was the cure.

uncop fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 30, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Myanmar seem to be a badly run meta country most of the time. They let different ethnic minorities including the han Chinese built their own little self proclaimed governments in the north for decades without any effective control of the border. I have nothing add to their military ethnic cleansing except they didn't seem to have any planned goal or coverup afterward. poo poo just broke out in the worst possible way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

tino posted:

Myanmar seem to be a badly run meta country most of the time. They let different ethnic minorities including the han Chinese built their own little self proclaimed governments in the north for decades without any effective control of the border. I have nothing add to their military ethnic cleansing except they didn't seem to have any planned goal or coverup afterward. poo poo just broke out in the worst possible way.

I think it’s worth pointing out that it was less “let them build their own little governments” and more that Myanmar is a poor country with ineffective institutions and weak rule of law already and the drug traffickers in the north of the country (some of whom were funded by the CIA) were militarily strong enough to resist being brought into line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tino posted:

I’ll be really fascinated to see study’s in a few years using Myanmar as an example of how taking a country from little internet access and online-savvy to considerable penetration of SNS’s (namely Facebook) with no moderation really amplified extremism to the point a considerably portion of the population was apparently basically complete cool with and cheering on ethnic cleansing.