Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how when Arthur is using his witcher senses, you can see his stink lines

that tells you which direction the wind is blowing and which animals will smell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Actually, there is a pop up for that too. Those lines indicate wind direction and if you are upwind of an animal it will sense you faster

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kawabata posted:

Incredible game, but in case this hasn't been discussed already, a heads up to video settings nerds: Rockstar hosed up on HDR.

It's not real hdr, it's a weird SDR upscale that makes everything brighter and washed out. Play the game on 4k SDR, you'll get a much richer image. Sources: several tv experts, a dude I know that works at samsung, my eyes,
I thought something looked weird about the HDR compared to other games I've been playing, but I assumed I just wasn't using the correct settings or something. :downs:

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Iron Crowned posted:

It's important for staying downwind

Lol beaten by like 3 people

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestonJew posted:

you can also chase rabbits and rats around with a knife, although I have no idea what quality pelt that gets you because while Arthur does have an animation for stabbing things below him it's slow as poo poo

Does the viking throwing axe count as a tomahawk or a knife like melee kill?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shoehead posted:

Ive been trying to raise my honor after being a total poo poo for like two rl days and its so slow. Even pouring thousands of dollars into the camp wont shift the needle enough, I wanna buy some clothes

My experience is the opposite. I'm only in ch. 2 with just like 3 missions done and I'm already most of the way to the right side of the bar. Feels like I get honor from everything I do. Just saying hi to people gets you some.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Shoehead posted:

Ive been trying to raise my honor after being a total poo poo for like two rl days and its so slow. Even pouring thousands of dollars into the camp wont shift the needle enough, I wanna buy some clothes

Are you dumping it all in at once? I think its a set value per donation, so try splitting it up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

rap music posted:

you have to first identify them as perfect specimens and then get a perfect kill using the appropriate weapon and ammo

do game elements like this really entice people? it seems shockingly tedious and stupid. like, i've done a couple of hunts and they're boring, i cannot imagine devoting so much time to such specific tedium

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus this game could really use some UI scaling options. I realize 42" TVs are considered small now but I first played RDR on a 27" Trinitron and I swear the UI was more usable doing that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Assuming you’ve been doing the debt collector missions there’s missions in chapter 6 where if you do the obvious thing you’ll get a boatload of honor. I think one mission gave me a quarter of the entire bar to the right

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Earlier I got the mission in valentine to meet the old gunslingers. I did some other story stuff now those markers are gone. Will I be able to get that mission again? I’m still in chapter 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that tells you which direction the wind is blowing and which animals will smell you

TMMadman posted:

Actually, there is a pop up for that too. Those lines indicate wind direction and if you are upwind of an animal it will sense you faster

GIRL BRAINS posted:

It's important for staying downwind

Lol beaten by like 3 people

I liked my idea better that it was subtly telling me to take a shower bath.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammanas posted:

do game elements like this really entice people? it seems shockingly tedious and stupid.

li'l bit, yeah

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Romes128 posted:

Earlier I got the mission in valentine to meet the old gunslingers. I did some other story stuff now those markers are gone. Will I be able to get that mission again? I’m still in chapter 2.

If you look at the pictures again in your satchel they will show up on the map again. Its in the documents tab under pictures.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

hunting via the prescribed method is for colossal loving idiots imo and that includes you, dear reader

the way I do it is find my three star kill, flush them out with thundering horse hooves, and use dead eye to bury an arrow into their skull at full speed

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
i really enjoy the way Arthur says "sure"

suuuuaaaah

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
if you plan on doing any serious hunting there's a legendary you should kill first

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked my idea better that it was subtly telling me to take a shower bath.

apparently though if you take a bath then they disappear for a bit.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I don't really understand Dead Eye now that I've upgraded it and have to paint targets manually. Do I shoot when I release Dead Eye? Do I just hit R2 once to shoot all my painted targets?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What are the effects of low honor? Are there any story effects?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah there is things in the game i wont do like hunting or fishing i dont care about that but exploring every inch of the map? sign me in

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I don't really understand Dead Eye now that I've upgraded it and have to paint targets manually. Do I shoot when I release Dead Eye? Do I just hit R2 once to shoot all my painted targets?

The latter . Make sure you're not using a single shot gun like the Springfield though because it can only tag one shot, that threw me off for a minute

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

paint your targets and let 'er rip with R2

it's worth mentioning that i have noticed that activating dead eye, NOT painting and instead firing off a single round with R2 on the appropriate forehead will restore a portion of the dead eye bar as if you made the shot without it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

Does the viking throwing axe count as a tomahawk or a knife like melee kill?

You can totally kill animals with throwing knives but it ruins the pelt, it does for rabbits at least

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

yeah there is things in the game i wont do like hunting or fishing i dont care about that but exploring every inch of the map? sign me in

I wish game locations were marked on the map like the first game otherwise i’d be hunting more

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh my god I just discovered that if you keep pressing "greet" to the random NPCs walking around towns you can get longer conversations than I realized.

I would just clicked greet, would get something like a "hey partner" and then think that was the extend of the convo. Now I've been ending up once in a while with longer conversations that helped flesh out this seemingly random NPC

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

here's a fun tip: immediately buy a second sawn-off shotgun and dual wield them. I have one with a silver barrel and one with a black barrel and whenever Arthur hits the scene it's loving party time

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
is there a map of stagecoach routes somewhere?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Lakbay posted:

I wish game locations were marked on the map like the first game otherwise i’d be hunting more

Huh? They are.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh my god I just discovered that if you keep pressing "greet" to the random NPCs walking around towns you can get longer conversations than I realized.

I would just clicked greet, would get something like a "hey partner" and then think that was the extend of the convo. Now I've been ending up once in a while with longer conversations that helped flesh out this seemingly random NPC

Greet twice then antagonize

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kawabata posted:

Yes, it's ridiculous how much deeper are the blacks (and how night scenes look better overall) once you disable hdr

Here is another one for those on X1X.

I have tried 3 scenarios.

1) HDR On and play. Washed out, low color saturation. Muddy textures as well.
2) HDR Off - Normal 4k game.

However, option 3 surprised me.

3) Turn on your X1X and boot up RDR 2. Once in the game, go back to your X1X Console video setting and disable (Xbox doesn't have the disable feature in the game only at the console setting) HDR10 in video modes. Then, without rebooting your game, go back into the game and while the HDR symbol on your set won't pop up, all of a sudden you will get deep blacks, complete color saturation with vibrant colors and no muddy textures.

For some reason (Unknown as to how) the game looks like an incredible HDR game all of a sudden and looks better for me by quite a bit than options 1 and 2. (On a 65 B7A OLED)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Lakbay posted:

Aren't there drawings of different animals added to the map? Or is that just meaningless decoration?

theblackw0lf posted:

:aaa:

Gonna try this later, I'd only been greeting once and it felt a little underwhelming, especially with all of the "you can talk to ANYONE" hype the press was giving it before release. Do you eventually learn names or is everyone just "stranger" forever?

I do like greeting people while riding by at full speed. "HOWDY MA'AAAAAMM"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

theblackw0lf posted:

Do Greet then Antagonize for some Triumph The Insult Comic Dog poo poo. "That's a strong looking horse mister...... it's a wonder it ain't bucked you off and kicked you in the head!"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Some people mentioned an outhouse at Braithwaite Manor. I don't wanna know what it is but where tf is it? Having trouble finding it.

E: Nevermind found it :magical:

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2018

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I cant play RDR2 right now, is there a good lets play that is recommended?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Ammanas posted:

do game elements like this really entice people? it seems shockingly tedious and stupid. like, i've done a couple of hunts and they're boring, i cannot imagine devoting so much time to such specific tedium

I like hunting in real life, and this is the closest any normie open world game has come to emulating it. It’s not close to something like The Hunter games, but then those are also tedious shitfests that make it clear to any hunter that without the outdoor experience, the companionship and the adrenaline boost we would never go hunting again. RDR strikes a decent balance.

That said, hunting any land animal smaller than a rabbit in this game can gently caress right off. In real life too, for that matter.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

goferchan posted:

Do Greet then Antagonize for some Triumph The Insult Comic Dog poo poo. "That's a strong looking horse mister...... it's a wonder it ain't bucked you off and kicked you in the head!"
Defusing has some great comebacks as well.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

is there any rhyme or reason to the best kind of passerby i can rob? some wagons have chests in them but not all - i'm fine with that randomness, by the way

however, i'd expect stage's to have a lockbox or something and i can't seem to find one on any of them, it bums me out

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Tercio posted:

however, i'd expect stage's to have a lockbox or something and i can't seem to find one on any of them, it bums me out
most if not all do, on the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

What kind of wagons bring the most money to fence?