Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

food court bailiff posted:

Gaslands looks really cool, I think I'm going to grab the PDF and read through it while I 3D print some templates.

Anything I should know getting into it? Any rules mistakes to watch for? Is there any kind of 'scene' anywhere for it (although I'm not super worried about this because I've pitched it to a few friends and they all thought it sounded awesome)?

Make sure you get the Gaslands errata https://gaslands.com/resources/Gaslands-FAQ.pdf It clears up a few mistakes in the main book.

Ilor posted:

I'm interested to hear how it plays.

Gaslands is loads of fun. Games take a bit longer than I might like sometimes (2.5-3hrs) but I can only assume it will go faster once players get the rules memorized. Also, Death Races often turn into bumper car smash-fests in the first turn, but once you get the rules in your head and accept that the templates are a bit sloppy since they don't lock into the model like X-Wing, you will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is my doggo. She lays on my feet to keep them warm while I'm painting my hams.

And I didn't buy that guy's neckbeard AV. I would have gone with a red text that says "I love Games Workshop because I love Women's rights" or something like that.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

And I didn't buy that guy's neckbeard AV. I would have gone with a red text that says "I love Games Workshop because I love Women's rights" or something like that.

Lol ok

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol I was on my phone and didn't see you had the text as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Badablack posted:

This is my cat.

He is a GW-hating enthusiast, as evidenced by the countless space marines he has chewed on, knocked off of shelves, and hidden in corners.

What a dickbag.

Looks like a pro tier cat

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

This is my doggo. She lays on my feet to keep them warm while I'm painting my hams.

This is also a good dog

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like a pro tier cat

:hmmyes:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My cat looks like this:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Iron Crowned posted:

My cat looks like this:

thin your paints

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

food court bailiff posted:

thin your paints
Yeah, I can totally see brush-strokes in that cat, tbh.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Excellent cats, excellent dogs.

Thread very good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I miss my cat. Stupid in-laws gave it away after I moved countries to marry their daughter and left it in their care.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

These are my GFs wierdo cats

Bramble:

Bitsy:

They have little chairs:

And they love each other!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the king of games.

our thicc rescue.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
My beautiful son

His grumpy aunt

Our egg birbs

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What's with the crazy poodle cut on the smallest bird? Are the other ones pulling out its feathers? I've seen chickens do that before (just never in so adorable a pattern).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Oh hey Ilor, just curious if you have any feedback on my game. Not trying to demand answers now or seem needy, I just have the next couple days off to potentially rework some stuff before I annoy my friends into playing a game of it on Wednesday.

I was gonna send you a PM about this but you don't have plat!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

What's with the crazy poodle cut on the smallest bird? Are the other ones pulling out its feathers? I've seen chickens do that before (just never in so adorable a pattern).

That’s Lola. It’s what her breed looks like- shes a showgirl hen. She’s the last survivor of a flock of them that my mother in law got a couple years ago, she moved out to the city with our other two hens earlier this year.

She’s pretty great. She loves sitting on the bigger eggs the other ladies lay and sings a little clucking song to herself every night when she’s moved from the run to the coop :3:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Post the one with the knife fascination

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Best Cat

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ghazk posted:

Post the one with the knife fascination

That’d be the one on the right. She also escaped and stayed with a neighbor a couple blocks away for the night one time.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I really should get chickens

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything Privateer could do to recover from the absolute poo poo mess that is 3rd edition

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is there anything Privateer could do to recover from the absolute poo poo mess that is 3rd edition

I don't think there is any coming back for them now. They have a lot of ground to make up, and a huge lack of interest to overcome. And their other projects are bombing.

They posted a trailer for their new game and it is the worst thing I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqrkYSHQVw

head58
Apr 1, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The saddest part is that the 3rd edition ruleset is really tight and the game is likely the best it has ever been. But the rushed rollout killed them. It needed another year of development but my guess is they heard 40k’s 8th edition would be dropping and jumped the gun.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't think there is any coming back for them now. They have a lot of ground to make up, and a huge lack of interest to overcome. And their other projects are bombing.

They posted a trailer for their new game and it is the worst thing I have ever seen

I always click this video thinking to myself "it wasnt that bad, right?".

It somehow manages to be worse than I remember. Its like a newgrounds flash animation slapped together by a 14 year old in a couple hours back in 2004.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, it is an almost unbelievable level of quality for what was the second biggest name in miniature gaming. That video likely killed the product line already.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I just noticed that this thread lives again. What's the hot details on Privateer? What did they screw up in third edition specifically? Personally I quit when they introduced 120mm based and huge models but that's a good while back now.

Also a lot of people from my boardgame club are digging out their ancient 2nd ed models to play Kill Team. I'm getting in as well because it's a pretty small investment to update my Tau. The 20€ i paid for ten Pathfinders and a couple of drones is... actually very reasonable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really liked the release of the fantasy nightmares faction and was wondering why there hasn’t been a battlegroup after over a year yet. This explains things

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh hey Ilor, just curious if you have any feedback on my game. Not trying to demand answers now or seem needy, I just have the next couple days off to potentially rework some stuff before I annoy my friends into playing a game of it on Wednesday.

I was gonna send you a PM about this but you don't have plat!
Yeah, I'm a scrub-tier poster who doesn't have the :10bux: to get PMs, sorry. But yes, I've had a chance to look at your rules a little bit, and here's what I've come up with so far in terms of questions and observations:

Formations:
* Is using the Move action the only way a unit can change its formation?
* Am I correct in assuming that each group in a unit can move no further than its Move characteristic? This is never explicitly stated, especially in the context of re-forming.
* In general, I dig the "Groups" concept in terms of the way it simplifies movement, shooting, and CC. I like the way it works for dictating firing arcs too. Nicely done!

Movement:
* How much of "slant" can movement take before needing to change facing? Is moving forward at an angle kosher? If so, what is that angle?
* 2" of movement to change facing seems steep. Again, how far must you rotate to incur this cost?

Charge:
* It is possible to end up closer than 1" to an enemy unit yet not be in base contact (and thus not locked in melee). Is this important for either unit's subsequent activations? If so, how. If not, then why is moving closer than 1" to an enemy unit with the Move order prohibited? It should either matter in both, or matter in neither.

Aim and Volley:
* Under the Actions section on p. 5, it says that Aim and Volley Actions must be taken before making a Shoot action, but in their respective sections on p. 6 they are labeled as "Second Shoot Actions" and are noted to only be allowed after a unit has been chosen to Shoot (i.e. declared the Shoot Action?). I think I get what you're going for, but the wording needs to be revisited.

Cover:
* Does the quality of the material providing cover count in any way (e.g. wood wall vs stone wall)? In general I like the way you've done cover, but I worry that it could get a little fiddly if (say) two groups in a unit are firing through cover and another two aren't. But since it's just a die roll, maybe it doesn't matter.

Fight:
* "When a unit comes into base contact from a Move or a Run action..." I thought you needed to use a Charge move to get into base contact? So again, does it matter or not?
* Only the first rank can Fight - even if they don't have a sufficient Charge or Move to make it into base contact? Say you make an oblique charge and only two of three front-rank groups make it into B2B - can the other one fight? It's in the first rank, but it's not in B2B, so how would you handle this?

Casualties:
* Does facing matter when getting shot? I.e. do you take extra casualties by taking shots from the flank or rear? Does it have an effect on morale (pinning, breaking, etc)?
* In general, I feel like taking casualties from the nearest group makes things easy in terms of allocating casualties, but the extra phase that allows you to fill in groups in the front rank from groups in the rear rank is like an extra step and will likely slow the game down.
* Also, if a group in the front ranks is completely wiped out, does a group from the rear rank automatically move forward to take its place? You can't have fewer groups in the front rank than you can in the subsequent ranks, so I would imagine so, but this seems...weird.
* I like that rolling "to wound" has been removed. Hit, save, done. Nice.
* Groups with models with different saves - "tanking" a group's saves one-by-one on a single model until it dies is the worst. I would recommend doing something easy - highest save, lowest save, or average save. Decide how you want to do it and balance accordingly.

Morale:
* I think this is an interesting system, but it took me a couple of passes to get it because of the wording. You could probably clean this one up in terms of language.

Vehicles:
* I wasn't able to dig into the vehicle rules in too much detail, but the transport rules looked pretty solid. The only question here was whether the vehicle and the unit inside counted separately in terms of activations.
* I did like that aircraft/fast-movers got their phase entirely before the ground-units.

Miscellaneous:
* As a general rule, I feel like your modifiers should apply to the target number rather than the die roll. So if your base target number to hit is a 4 and you have a modifier that makes it harder by one number, don't apply a -1 to your die rolls, but rather apply a +1 to your target number. That way, you can say simply "your modified target number is 5," roll a bunch of dice, and anything higher than a 5 is a success. This is immediately visually obvious.
* Re-rolls are the devil's playground. They are the chief thing that makes 40K take so long to actually play, as it seems like any given roll has a re-roll, so you end up doing everything twice - often for little statistical benefit. I get that it's an easy way to give a buff, but it really is just an awful mechanic. It's also really easy to forget in the heat of the game.

Activations:
* This is the big one; alternating activations by unit is interesting, but it has a few really important ramifications for how the game plays. First and foremost, it gives tactical flexibility to the force with the most units, as they get some number of "free" (i.e. unopposed) activations at the end of the phase. Next, aside from Panic tests (in which casualties don't actually act as a modifier), there is no downside to organizing your force into as many Groups as possible. You still get to shoot just as many times - probably more as you don't have jabronies in the back ranks twiddling their thumbs. Finally, organizing your force into many small Groups plays hell with your opponent's target priority - I didn't see anything that let a unit split fire, so you run the real risk of incentivizing wasted casualties (i.e. if I inflict 10 casualties on a unit with a 4 group front, all 10 of those casualties count, whereas if I inflict 10 casualties on a unit comprised of a single group, 6 of those casualties are wasted.

Overall:
* There's definitely potential here and some aspects I really like, but for me the activation system is a huge potential pitfall. Maybe this is something that is handled well in the army-building phase, but I feel like there should be some other, bigger, organizational penalty to splitting your force into an MSU-fest. Whether that penalty is in the unit costs or on the table is probably six of one/half-dozen of the other.
* I really like the moving/shooting/fighting in Groups idea, but I think the casualty-removal might be a little fiddly. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good suggestion that preserves the idea that guys in the front rank should be at a higher risk of becoming casualties, but that avoids the extra "fill-in" step.
* FWIW, Sharp Practice 2 uses a similar group structure, and in that game hits are allocated across groups in the field of fire before you roll for the effects of those hits. Additionally, it uses a mechanic by which any special characters attached to a group become casualties if you roll less than or equal to the number of kills (i.e. failed saves) sustained, then the special character was hit. You might be able to adapt this for your uses.

Is that feedback helpful?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lord_Hambrose posted:

holy gently caress that is so bad

nothing you tell me about the game could get me to play it

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ilor posted:

Yeah, I'm a scrub-tier poster who doesn't have the :10bux: to get PMs, sorry. But yes, I've had a chance to look at your rules a little bit, and here's what I've come up with so far in terms of questions and observations:

Formations:
* Is using the Move action the only way a unit can change its formation?
* Am I correct in assuming that each group in a unit can move no further than its Move characteristic? This is never explicitly stated, especially in the context of re-forming.
* In general, I dig the "Groups" concept in terms of the way it simplifies movement, shooting, and CC. I like the way it works for dictating firing arcs too. Nicely done!

Correct, but I've been considering adding a “nudge” ability to a unit, where they can either turn a little, or make a tiny movement (1”?) without counting as moving or using an action.

They cannot move greater than that per movement, so if a unit wants to re-form the groups, that will eat up into their total distance moved.

Thanks, the Groups mechanic is one of the things I'm most proud of, as I feel it breaks down the game into nice little chunks to avoid being either super weird feeling (having entire units be able to do/not do something because of lone models in the wrong spot), or super fiddly by having to resolve every model.

Ilor posted:

Movement:
* How much of "slant" can movement take before needing to change facing? Is moving forward at an angle kosher? If so, what is that angle?
* 2" of movement to change facing seems steep. Again, how far must you rotate to incur this cost?

I'll definitely clear that up more.

Burning 2” might be a bit rough, hence why I was considering the “nudge” mechanic. Perhaps this is a leftover from being inspired by Historicals, where infantry changing formation is a much bigger deal due to having to line up shields and whatnot.

Ilor posted:

Charge:
* It is possible to end up closer than 1" to an enemy unit yet not be in base contact (and thus not locked in melee). Is this important for either unit's subsequent activations? If so, how. If not, then why is moving closer than 1" to an enemy unit with the Move order prohibited? It should either matter in both, or matter in neither.

It's supposed to be that you cannot be within 1” of an enemy, so theres a 1” dead zone between units. I like having a distinct gap between units so at a glance you can tell if they are in melee or not. Is 1” too much? Maybe reduce it to 0.5?

Ilor posted:

Aim and Volley:
* Under the Actions section on p. 5, it says that Aim and Volley Actions must be taken before making a Shoot action, but in their respective sections on p. 6 they are labeled as "Second Shoot Actions" and are noted to only be allowed after a unit has been chosen to Shoot (i.e. declared the Shoot Action?). I think I get what you're going for, but the wording needs to be revisited.

Whoops, that is a remnant from an older revision of the game, missed in editing. I just changed how things were worded to make things clearer (but then forgot to double check if I had gotten all of it, making everything unclear!)

Ilor posted:

Cover:
* Does the quality of the material providing cover count in any way (e.g. wood wall vs stone wall)? In general I like the way you've done cover, but I worry that it could get a little fiddly if (say) two groups in a unit are firing through cover and another two aren't. But since it's just a die roll, maybe it doesn't matter.

As of now, no. I was thinking of adding different types, but there's only so much you can do with a d6 roll. Probably throw in some mission specific terrain, or rare special types to keep it from being too crowded with rules.

Ilor posted:

Fight:
* "When a unit comes into base contact from a Move or a Run action..." I thought you needed to use a Charge move to get into base contact? So again, does it matter or not?
* Only the first rank can Fight - even if they don't have a sufficient Charge or Move to make it into base contact? Say you make an oblique charge and only two of three front-rank groups make it into B2B - can the other one fight? It's in the first rank, but it's not in B2B, so how would you handle this?

Dangit, another older version gap. Reading over my own work so many times just kind of makes my eyes glaze over after a time. I should really take the time to re-type the entire thing from ground up to make sure everything is up to date. It used to be that you could just walk right into melee, but that felt really weird so I replaced that with the Charge action.

Everyone in the front rank should be able to hit in melee. It might be a little wonky when a unit 5 groups wide charges a unit 1 group wide, but that's easier than writing complicated rules for letting you move groups around to surround their foe.

Ilor posted:

Casualties:
* Does facing matter when getting shot? I.e. do you take extra casualties by taking shots from the flank or rear? Does it have an effect on morale (pinning, breaking, etc)?
* In general, I feel like taking casualties from the nearest group makes things easy in terms of allocating casualties, but the extra phase that allows you to fill in groups in the front rank from groups in the rear rank is like an extra step and will likely slow the game down.
* Also, if a group in the front ranks is completely wiped out, does a group from the rear rank automatically move forward to take its place? You can't have fewer groups in the front rank than you can in the subsequent ranks, so I would imagine so, but this seems...weird.
* I like that rolling "to wound" has been removed. Hit, save, done. Nice.
* Groups with models with different saves - "tanking" a group's saves one-by-one on a single model until it dies is the worst. I would recommend doing something easy - highest save, lowest save, or average save. Decide how you want to do it and balance accordingly.

Facing does not matter. I had ideas for making morale worse if hit from side or rear, but threw that out since I wanted to keep the number of rules low. Though, it wouldn't be too hard to have something like 'count as scoring one additional casualty' if you hit them in the rear end. The main thing is that you probably want to go to the side of an enemy to reduce their odds of having cover, and potentially make their retaliation less effective (since they would have to take time to turn to face you).

Do you think refilling groups from the rear should just not happen? Like, you leave the holes until that unit is activated again, then you sort it out during their turn? From a gameplay perspective, it was kinda fun to have a big mob of dudes getting chewed up, and throwing more guys into the same spot to just die again to the next enemy. But I could see it slowing things down once the novelty wears off.

That is how it would play out. You'd replenish the entire lost unit with guys from the back. I could try to see how it would work if replenishing groups was restricted to the wounded unit's next activation, since that would also fix this issue.

Thanks. I went into designing this game with the idea that getting shot with a gun would really suck and probably hurt a lot, and went from there lol. The to wound mechanic of things like 40k seem so weird, when a dude can be hit in the face by a 75 caliber rocket propelled explosive-tipped rifle shot, and have a 1/3 chance of it not actually hurting him.

Using worst save might not be a bad plan, just to encourage good model positioning in the unit. There are few instances of mixed saves in the game however, but I still get your point.

Ilor posted:

Morale:
* I think this is an interesting system, but it took me a couple of passes to get it because of the wording. You could probably clean this one up in terms of language.

I'll definitely do a re-write that will clear things up (hopefully).

Ilor posted:

Vehicles:
* I wasn't able to dig into the vehicle rules in too much detail, but the transport rules looked pretty solid. The only question here was whether the vehicle and the unit inside counted separately in terms of activations.
* I did like that aircraft/fast-movers got their phase entirely before the ground-units.

Dang, vehicles are the thing I am most nervous about. The whole save/breach/damage chart is something I'm worried is impossible to parse and way too annoying to use. They do act separately, yes. The dudes inside still get activated, and if you don't want them to exit you essentially burn their actions and do nothing with them.

Ilor posted:

Miscellaneous:
* As a general rule, I feel like your modifiers should apply to the target number rather than the die roll. So if your base target number to hit is a 4 and you have a modifier that makes it harder by one number, don't apply a -1 to your die rolls, but rather apply a +1 to your target number. That way, you can say simply "your modified target number is 5," roll a bunch of dice, and anything higher than a 5 is a success. This is immediately visually obvious.
* Re-rolls are the devil's playground. They are the chief thing that makes 40K take so long to actually play, as it seems like any given roll has a re-roll, so you end up doing everything twice - often for little statistical benefit. I get that it's an easy way to give a buff, but it really is just an awful mechanic. It's also really easy to forget in the heat of the game.

I keep flipping back and forth between if a modifier should adjust the physical die roll, or the value of what you need to roll. I think I've stuck with adjusting the dice itself just as a way to slightly de-buff a re-roll, and its fun when you 'roll' an 8 with a d6.

Speaking of re-rolls, I tried to be pretty sparing with them. Without double checking, I think most of them are morale based, which I think isn't too overpowered (and since morale is always a set 3 dice, shouldn't be too tedious). Forgetting about re-rolls is definitely a thing, so I could probably take a few of them out and replace them with another mechanic for a little buff.

Ilor posted:

Activations:
* This is the big one; alternating activations by unit is interesting, but it has a few really important ramifications for how the game plays. First and foremost, it gives tactical flexibility to the force with the most units, as they get some number of "free" (i.e. unopposed) activations at the end of the phase. Next, aside from Panic tests (in which casualties don't actually act as a modifier), there is no downside to organizing your force into as many Groups as possible. You still get to shoot just as many times - probably more as you don't have jabronies in the back ranks twiddling their thumbs. Finally, organizing your force into many small Groups plays hell with your opponent's target priority - I didn't see anything that let a unit split fire, so you run the real risk of incentivizing wasted casualties (i.e. if I inflict 10 casualties on a unit with a 4 group front, all 10 of those casualties count, whereas if I inflict 10 casualties on a unit comprised of a single group, 6 of those casualties are wasted.

I love alternating activations, since it keeps both players constantly on their toes, and doesn't turn the game into a slog of waiting twenty minutes for your opponent to give you something to do. Pretty much only vehicles have split fire, and even then its not the best.

Ilor posted:

Overall:
* There's definitely potential here and some aspects I really like, but for me the activation system is a huge potential pitfall. Maybe this is something that is handled well in the army-building phase, but I feel like there should be some other, bigger, organizational penalty to splitting your force into an MSU-fest. Whether that penalty is in the unit costs or on the table is probably six of one/half-dozen of the other.
* I really like the moving/shooting/fighting in Groups idea, but I think the casualty-removal might be a little fiddly. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good suggestion that preserves the idea that guys in the front rank should be at a higher risk of becoming casualties, but that avoids the extra "fill-in" step.
* FWIW, Sharp Practice 2 uses a similar group structure, and in that game hits are allocated across groups in the field of fire before you roll for the effects of those hits. Additionally, it uses a mechanic by which any special characters attached to a group become casualties if you roll less than or equal to the number of kills (i.e. failed saves) sustained, then the special character was hit. You might be able to adapt this for your uses.

Sounds like I'm going back to the older version of unit building – where it cost a certain amount of buy-in to get a unit. So a infantry unit would be 4pts + 8pts/group, instead of just 8pts/group. That way it could be a player's choice, they can take lots of tiny units with all of those advantages, but they will have fewer bodies on the ground than the player who just took 3 hordes.

I'll playtest a game with the unit not re-forming after every shot and see how that plays out, as I mentioned earlier.

I'll check that out, and see if any of it can be applied here. I liked the way 40k 4th edition did it, if you rolled 11 wounds against a 10 man squad, you could choose which model made the first save. Gave you the chance to knock out something important, without it being too powerful.

Ilor posted:

Is that feedback helpful?

Very. Thank you very much for it, you've noticed many things that none of us have (outside of just bad writing). I'm very relieved that the game comes across as not just a pile of janky garbage, and has potential. Most of the points my friends bring up is unit balance (this guy should cost X more points, they should have 1 more armour, etc) which is great feedback, but I need an outside eye to tell me whats wrong with the very rules itself.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

holy gently caress that is so bad

nothing you tell me about the game could get me to play it

This is probably the correct way to approach all tabletop minis games tbh

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

I just noticed that this thread lives again. What's the hot details on Privateer? What did they screw up in third edition specifically? Personally I quit when they introduced 120mm based and huge models but that's a good while back now.

Also a lot of people from my boardgame club are digging out their ancient 2nd ed models to play Kill Team. I'm getting in as well because it's a pretty small investment to update my Tau. The 20€ i paid for ten Pathfinders and a couple of drones is... actually very reasonable.

Former and current Warmachine/Hordes player and former press ganger here, it's a combination of several factors;

The mark 3 rollout being rushed and obviously so
The sudden removal of the Press Gang program
The removal of any specific faction forums on PP's own website, seemingly because they didn't want to moderate them.
A continued trend that anything PP produces that isn't Warmachine will launch on life support and probably die soon after, examples being: High Command, any of their board game lines, Company of Iron.
The lead designer of the game is also a weird dweeb who basically doesn't understand the parts of the game people actually enjoy or which rules are strong or not. Skorne needing a complete redesign after the MK3 launch lies at this guy's feet.

Overall this has lead to communities bleeding off to games with better support and larger crowds, because there's just too much competition now for the level of sloppiness put out. When they release footage as cringey as they have been it makes people even more likely to jump ship as their group's die down.

The actual current state of the rules of the game are probably the most balanced as they've ever been and feature good dynamic changes to things that end up being problematic or poorly thought out, including a public beta test for any new things coming down the pipe, but I don't think it's enough to save them and it's becoming more obvious they're intending to sell the IP or company itself.

My area went from around a dozen active players to 5 after the edition change, and has slowly bled down to pretty much just me, so I'm pretty close to calling it quits on the game as well.

zerofiend fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Gorefiend posted:

The lead designer of the game is also a weird dweeb who basically doesn't understand the parts of the game people actually enjoy or which rules are strong or not. Skorne needing a complete redesign after the MK3 launch lies at this guy's feet.

The actual current state of the rules of the game are probably the most balanced as they've ever been and feature good dynamic changes to things that end up being problematic or poorly thought out, including a public beta test for any new things coming down the pipe, but I don't think it's enough to save them and it's becoming more obvious they're intending to sell the IP or company itself.

2 questions, if balance is generally good, what was the issue with that faction? And what makes you think they are looking to sell up?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gorefiend posted:

Former and current Warmachine/Hordes player and former press ganger here, it's a combination of several factors;

The mark 3 rollout being rushed and obviously so
The sudden removal of the Press Gang program
The removal of any specific faction forums on PP's own website, seemingly because they didn't want to moderate them.
A continued trend that anything PP produces that isn't Warmachine will launch on life support and probably die soon after, examples being: High Command, any of their board game lines, Company of Iron.

Overall this has lead to communities bleeding off to games with better support and larger crowds, because there's just too much competition now for the level of sloppiness put out. When they release footage as cringey as they have been it makes people even more likely to jump ship as their group's die down.

My area went from around a dozen active players to 5 after the edition change, and has slowly bled down to pretty much just me, so I'm pretty close to calling it quits on the game as well.

all this plus 4 seperate price rises on the range, wmh is dead and the new monpoc is shocking

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's a shame because I really like the Convergence of Cyriss Rococobots

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Gorefiend posted:

it's becoming more obvious they're intending to sell the IP or company itself.

Really? Why is that exactly?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Flipswitch posted:

all this plus 4 seperate price rises on the range, wmh is dead and the new monpoc is shocking

I am struggling to even give my old WMH away. :/ Does anyone want some pewter Khador models for free (plus shipping?). Sorscha, Destroyer, Manhunter, Ternions, Yuri, and a set of Ironfangs missing arms/weapons. PM me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

It's a shame because I really like the Convergence of Cyriss Rococobots

Yeah, they're real nice if you can find any that aren't riddled with mold lines