Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ FWIW, the one-and-only reason “pull to X” exists as a thing is discoverability. Any other gesture and it would have to be a documented/hidden feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol I was coming in here to say pull to refresh is broken on my SE but apparently you just need to pull it halfway up the screen

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao I can't activate it with one swipe up have to pull it a bit then use a second finger to get it the rest of the way

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If I open a thread, and there's only like one unread post and I'm at the bottom of the thread, I can't scroll down. Like it stutters while I'm dragging down.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

an actual dog posted:

lmao I can't activate it with one swipe up have to pull it a bit then use a second finger to get it the rest of the way

If you load a page with only 1 or 2 posts you have to drag up about 70% of the screen

Why was this added? Isn't there usually aversion to changing things like this?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Regular Nintendo posted:

If you load a page with only 1 or 2 posts you have to drag up about 70% of the screen

Why was this added? Isn't there usually aversion to changing things like this?

There's an explaination from the dev on the previous page. :cmon:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

In agreement that it has to be pulled further than I would reasonably be able to with one hand on the phone - which is better than it scrolling itself into the next page at a hairs touch.

But it is mostly unusable one handed where I am better off just pushing the arrow.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It would be cool if one day you could longpress someone's avatar in their profile page to save image/copy image URL :D it just gives the zoom in effect like you're highlighting text right now

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

goferchan posted:

It would be cool if one day you could longpress someone's avatar in their profile page to save image/copy image URL :D it just gives the zoom in effect like you're highlighting text right now

Not perfect but you can long press on someone's avatar on their post, and then hit the share button.

But I agree it should work for the profile page as well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
N’thing that pull to refresh/next page takes too long of a swipe on a plus/max sized device.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
As an iPhone Plus user...I'm loving the new pull to refresh...

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hour 1: oh cool the awful app updated.

Hour 2: huh that's odd I can't seem to reach the refresh area.

Hour 24: it's been a whole day of desperately trying to pull the page up. My thumb, strained and warn out.

I don't know how much longer I can last, and I hope someone somewhere will be able to here this message.

Im just messin, it doesn't bother me that much, iPhone 8 btw

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If I repeatedly reload a page that has Twitter embeds that don’t render will they eventually render properly or am I wasting time? Or is there some other thing I can do (clearing cache, logging in and out, etc) that will make them work? Some tweet heavy threads that unfortunately go on really stupid derails become hard to filter out the crap when the tweet posts just look like the rest while scrolling through.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My findings are that a page where tweets are broken will always be broken, whether you kill/restart the app or not, and the next page will probably work fine (in other words it’s not like a memory leak or a “tweets are poisoned now, bounce the app” condition).

Just keep browsing and leave that page for dead.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I thought it was on pages where there are deleted tweets

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a reason I cant ignore people on mobile? I try adding someone to my ignore list, and I get the "You cant Ignore Party Plane Jones because this person is a mod/admin" error.

It gives me that specific name each time. And yeah, I'm only ignoring regular users.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, sounds like some test code got left in :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This is a new one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's on me. So when I posted this:

I was referring to the fact that the current distance seems to be somewhat dependent on the length of the page you're on, and as a result can be waaaaay too far a lot of the time.

I always intended to fix that, but I'd been lazy and I didn't realize until right now that Pokeyman had released the change on the App Store. I'll try to make a fix today, and hopefully Pokeyman can release it before too long.

Just wanted to say thanks!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if anyone cares, but forums cancer doesn't get rendered in the app.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
every time i try googling a thread and opening it on awful by replacing http with awful it asks if i wanna open it in the app and it switches and doesn’t open the thread in the app. makes me sad. dunno if it’s cause i’m not logged in on safari?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

star eater posted:

every time i try googling a thread and opening it on awful by replacing http with awful it asks if i wanna open it in the app and it switches and doesn’t open the thread in the app. makes me sad. dunno if it’s cause i’m not logged in on safari?
I just copy the url and switch to the app

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone else notice that the pull from left to right to get back to the bookmarks is a little finicky? Like sometimes it works perfect but then others I have to try and drag like 4 times before it registers.

On an X MAXXXX.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t know that worked on phones!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t know that worked on phones!

It does and it’s great! It works much better two handed as it seems like the threshold is really tiny and maybe I’m not reaching it all the way with one hand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

It does and it’s great! It works much better two handed as it seems like the threshold is really tiny and maybe I’m not reaching it all the way with one hand.

Oh, I think I can drag from the middle of the post display on my iPad. Hmm.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you have to start the drag from offscreen, which is getting harder to pull off as bezels get smaller

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

you have to start the drag from offscreen, which is getting harder to pull off as bezels get smaller

I feel like the drag size could be enlarged if possible? Like when I'm using the app there is no reason why I'd drag from left to right except to go back to the bookmarks page.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome app, but is there any way to search?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

svenkatesh posted:

I would suggest using Google

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have seen this far, far less in the most recent 3 betas, but before that I was seeing two different types of this

1. No links work, app crashes soon after

2. Some links work (actually, all links 'work' but they're not where they should be, if you click around the space that shouldn't be links enough you may find your intended destination)

I thought they were both the same as the display entirely breaking for portions of pages issue, because they would often accompany that

Interesting, I hadn't thought about any connection to memory pressure but that seems plausible. Something to keep in mind.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Also, is it possible to give a haptic mini vibration on trigger? That would really level it up.

I have not looked into it at all but I'm vaguely aware it's possible! Agree it'd be a nice addition. On the list it goes!

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, sorry, that's on me. So when I posted this:

I was referring to the fact that the current distance seems to be somewhat dependent on the length of the page you're on, and as a result can be waaaaay too far a lot of the time.

I always intended to fix that, but I'd been lazy and I didn't realize until right now that Pokeyman had released the change on the App Store. I'll try to make a fix today, and hopefully Pokeyman can release it before too long.

Nah it's on me, I decided to rush out a release without any semblance of testing beyond two seconds of "eh works ok on my device!". New beta coming shortly.

goferchan posted:

Agreed! Lemme put that on the list.

GutBomb posted:

If I repeatedly reload a page that has Twitter embeds that don’t render will they eventually render properly or am I wasting time? Or is there some other thing I can do (clearing cache, logging in and out, etc) that will make them work? Some tweet heavy threads that unfortunately go on really stupid derails become hard to filter out the crap when the tweet posts just look like the rest while scrolling through.

If any tweet on the page was subsequently deleted, it prevents others from loading. There's nothing you can reasonably do but wait for it to be fixed :( it is on the list though!

buglord posted:

Is there a reason I cant ignore people on mobile? I try adding someone to my ignore list, and I get the "You cant Ignore Party Plane Jones because this person is a mod/admin" error.

It gives me that specific name each time. And yeah, I'm only ignoring regular users.

This is a quirk of the Forums: if you ignored someone before they became a mod/admin, you can't make any update to your ignore list without deleting them. Since you can't remove anyone from your ignore list within Awful (though it is on the list!), you'll have to log in via a browser and edit your ignore list there.

Out of curiosity, are PPJ's posts actually ignored for you?

Coq au Nandos posted:

This is a new one.

That is awesome. I'll make a note!

anthonypants posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but forums cancer doesn't get rendered in the app.

I care, but only a very very tiny bit. Surprisingly it is on the list!

star eater posted:

Try prepending awful instead of replacing, like awfulhttps://forums.somethingawful.com/….

…though now that you mention it, there's no reason why we couldn't make it work with just awful://… too. So I'ma add that to the list!

(If you're curious, the reason iOS offers to open in Awful is because there is an awful:// URL scheme, but currently it only supports things like awful://bookmarks.)

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone else notice that the pull from left to right to get back to the bookmarks is a little finicky? Like sometimes it works perfect but then others I have to try and drag like 4 times before it registers.

On an X MAXXXX.

I'll take a look. I'm frankly very impressed with that pan-from-right-edge-to-pop gesture, it's just kept on trucking despite being a bit of a hack (in the good way) on top of an iOS component that's seen significant changes.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I think I can drag from the middle of the post display on my iPad. Hmm.

That is not intentional. Seems like there's some investigating to do based on these last couple posts.

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like the drag size could be enlarged if possible? Like when I'm using the app there is no reason why I'd drag from left to right except to go back to the bookmarks page.

Maybe, but no promises. There's a good chance it'll always be a little bit finicky just because of how it's implemented.

svenkatesh posted:

Nope, but it's on the list!

(Keen observers will note that the list moves very slowly.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Excellent thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

That is not intentional. Seems like there's some investigating to do based on these last couple posts.

Don’t take this from me, buddy ol’ pal.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
On iOS 10.3, twitter embeds open in safari regardless of whether I have "open twitter in twitter" toggled

Any ideas?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

On iOS 10.3, twitter embeds open in safari regardless of whether I have "open twitter in twitter" toggled

Any ideas?

Same, op

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I still think the pull to refresh distance was perfect before the last two updates. It still seems a bit large for my taste on the XS.

Edit: also “always preview posts” is getting you into a loop. There is no Post button when this option is enabled.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

MarcusSA posted:

As long as it's a drag of a significant distance. An app I use on android has that feature from anywhere on the screen, but it works out that if there's more than a few pixels of left->right component at all then it goes back. Which sucks when you're scrolling down a small amount but don't do it completely vertically.

So just be careful with the implementation on this if you do it is all I'm saying.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

BBJoey posted:

Same, op

If it doesn’t work from other apps you need to reset the universal link. You might be able to do it via long press, or scrolling down in safari and hitting the open button, but I think I had to uninstall twitter to fix it when I had the issue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

bronin posted:

I still think the pull to refresh distance was perfect before the last two updates. It still seems a bit large for my taste on the XS.

Fair! I plan on trying it out when I get my hands on an XS to test with.

quote:

Edit: also “always preview posts” is getting you into a loop. There is no Post button when this option is enabled.

This one's on the list. Unfortunately I have no idea what causes it, nor do I have any workarounds for you :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

On the latest beta if I tap a tweet I'm no longer taken to it. I can still hit the tweeters user name to go to their account though.

e: holy moly I can play embedded twitter videos in app though

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 3, 2018