Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Lovers gets bound by skinny Hierophant Green and then Steely Dan cant move afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sheer Heart Attack isn't a long-ranged, automatic stand. It's a Close Range Stand's additional attack that happens to be long-ranged and automatic.

:shepface:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Expect My Mom posted:

Steely Dan never reacts to any hit Kakyoin and Polnareff land on the Lovers

He gets a big wound on his head when Kakyoin hits the real one. He just was using clones for most of the fight.

I think Surface would be a closer example to Black Sabbath, since Hazamada can't just bring it out whenever he wants.

Meme Emulator posted:

The Lovers gets bound by skinny Hierophant Green and then Steely Dan cant move afterwards.

That too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He gets a big wound on his head when Kakyoin hits the real one. He just was using clones for most of the fight.

I think Surface would be a closer example to Black Sabbath, since Hazamada can't just bring it out whenever he wants.

That too.

Surface is also a Stand that's bound to a physical object, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
drat, I remembered Lovers using clones, but not Dan getting actually bloody. Still, it seems largely autonomous

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 3 stands are kind of generally inconsistent anyways

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

part 3 stands are kind of generally inconsistent anyways

Justice being beat by Star Platinum sucking it into it's lungs and somehow choking Ebanya is one of the most disappointing conclusions to a stand fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For actual automatic stand that does not reflect damage to the user we have Highway Star, Judgement, Superfly, Thoth, Bastet, The Lock, Anubis, Cheap Trick, and some upcoming ones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MonsterEnvy posted:

For actual automatic stand that does not reflect damage to the user we have Highway Star, Judgement, Superfly, Thoth, Bastet, The Lock, Anubis, Cheap Trick, and some upcoming ones.

Cheap Trick reflects damage to the user. When it initially latched on to Rohan, he tried to use Heaven's Door on it to get rid of it and was affected by Heaven's Door himself. Cheap Trick then mocked him, saying that it was his Stand now, and anything Rohan did to it would be reflected back on him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It would be best to just forget that there are any "rules" for stands, going forward.

Araki definitely does.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're not rules, they're guidelines.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Justice being beat by Star Platinum sucking it into it's lungs and somehow choking Ebanya is one of the most disappointing conclusions to a stand fight.

Avdol should have fought Enya. They both serve the same role in their respective groups.

You could even tie that in with Avdol always showing up to save Polnareff! :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Much later on in the manga (Part 7), Araki dedicates a few pages to explaining once again every Stand rule.

The only thing I could think of was how absolutely none of them didn't get broken in Part 3 alone, nevermind the 4 Parts afterwards. The only one that was undeniably true was the one that wasn't a rule at all but a possibility.

Ignore any and all rules for Stands, they only matter when Araki feels like it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Much later on in the manga (Part 7), Araki dedicates a few pages to explaining once again every Stand rule.

The only thing I could think of was how absolutely none of them didn't get broken in Part 3 alone, nevermind the 4 Parts afterwards. The only one that was undeniably true was the one that wasn't a rule at all but a possibility.

Ignore any and all rules for Stands, they only matter when Araki feels like it.

Still more consistent than the Ripple. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Continuity is for bores

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

At least there's no Stand that breaks all of the rules.

Yet. I think. :ohdear:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

Cheap Trick reflects damage to the user. When it initially latched on to Rohan, he tried to use Heaven's Door on it to get rid of it and was affected by Heaven's Door himself. Cheap Trick then mocked him, saying that it was his Stand now, and anything Rohan did to it would be reflected back on him.

Cheap Trick didn’t reflect damage onto Rohan, it was literally latched onto his back and the only way it would come off is if the rest of his back came off with it.

Thumbtacks posted:

i love that every punchtime music sounds similar but different, it's a nice touch

The choir in Giorno’s theme is loving glorious

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At least there's no Stand that breaks all of the rules.

Yet. I think. :ohdear:

You'd need a Stand User that has several Stands, all of which are owned by several Users. Those Stands should be able to separate from the user without losing power and still be 100% controllable, be completely visible to people, and send no damage whatsoever to the Users, as well as being able to keep working even with the Users KOed or dead.

I think that's everything? I may be missing something.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Blaze Dragon posted:

You'd need a Stand User that has several Stands, all of which are owned by several Users. Those Stands should be able to separate from the user without losing power and still be 100% controllable, be completely visible to people, and send no damage whatsoever to the Users, as well as being able to keep working even with the Users KOed or dead.

I think that's everything? I may be missing something.

The cursed sword from part 3? Remote is debatable, I actually don't remember if there was an original user.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Only Stands (and I guess the Arrow) can damage stands, so the completely visible to normal people Stands would also need to be able to be harmed by normal people.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

animatorZed posted:

The cursed sword from part 3? Remote is debatable, I actually don't remember if there was an original user.

Anubis isn't controllable and damage to Anubis may be passed towards the User...in a manner of speaking, considering the original Stand User is long-dead. It also never has several Stand Users at once.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

anubis is more like cheap trick or super fly really.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Meme Emulator posted:

Only Stands (and I guess the Arrow) can damage stands, so the completely visible to normal people Stands would also need to be able to be harmed by normal people.
I thought if the Stand had a physical form visible to non-users it could be harmed? Like Forever's ship could have been - in fact, should have been - sunk by the Chinese navy.

The "only Stands can hurt Stands" rule came out of the mouth of noted Standologist and cowboy Hol Horse, anyway.

Isn't Thoth the one stand that always gets it right though?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nessus posted:

I thought if the Stand had a physical form visible to non-users it could be harmed? Like Forever's ship could have been - in fact, should have been - sunk by the Chinese navy.

The "only Stands can hurt Stands" rule came out of the mouth of noted Standologist and cowboy Hol Horse, anyway.

Isn't Thoth the one stand that always gets it right though?

I Imagine in like Surface and Strengths case, its the wooden doll/crappy rowboat thats getting damaged should you attack the stand and not like.. the Stand.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Wouldn't Chili Pepper be a lot better example of a stand that doesn't reflect its damage on the user? It gets cut in half, and the user didn't lose his legs or anything. Then it gets totally dissolved in the ocean and the user looks dead, but actually he's fine enough to run away and try to murder somebody right after?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eponymous posted:

Wouldn't Chili Pepper be a lot better example of a stand that doesn't reflect its damage on the user? It gets cut in half, and the user didn't lose his legs or anything. Then it gets totally dissolved in the ocean and the user looks dead, but actually he's fine enough to run away and try to murder somebody right after?

Chili pepper only ever gets hit by a stand and his user's not around when that happens. So the rule could still apply.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

red hot chili pepper is basically just made of electricity

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eponymous posted:

Otoishi almost died when RHCP ran out of power, I think.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

RHCP is one of the most OP stands. Didn’t it have all A ratings except for, I think precision? Not that stats matter that much but it’s ridiculous that it’s a controllable over long distances without losing power/speed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pomplamoose posted:

RHCP is one of the most OP stands. Didn’t it have all A ratings except for, I think precision? Not that stats matter that much but it’s ridiculous that it’s a controllable over long distances without losing power/speed.

It apparently does lose some power and speed when far from it's user, Just not nearly as much as most other stands when far from their user. It does get stronger when close to it's user. It's only real flaw is the need for a nearby power source to maintain it's strength.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much an exception to the usual rules because it lives and dies by the presence of electricity. generally stands aren't loving useless if there's no electricity nearby but rhcp basically is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the "rules" are more general guidelines than anything, each stand comes with it's own ruleset and SOMETIMES they overlap, that's about it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any place online to legally purchase the live action Part 4 movie? I'd rather like to watch it, but man...searching for it is rather difficult when 99% of the search results lead me to anime or manga stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

Is there any place online to legally purchase the live action Part 4 movie? I'd rather like to watch it, but man...searching for it is rather difficult when 99% of the search results lead me to anime or manga stuff

it was on netflix a couple months back

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Viz is working on a Western release of it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I’m probably the only person who had no problem with the way that fight ended. It’s just super strength applied to Star Platinum’s lungs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

but star finger

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

but star finger

that was when araki was trying to give his characters shounen finishing moves(see also crossfire hurricane)

so of course the one he made for his protagonist was a weird extending finger

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

I’m probably the only person who had no problem with the way that fight ended. It’s just super strength applied to Star Platinum’s lungs.

I love it too, just because of "huh, yeah, that would defeat a gaseous stand, wouldn't it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Red Hot Chili Pepper IRL

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1057484377960144896