Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

has anyone else been genuinely concerned for granny’s wellbeing since the last thursday show? :ohdear:

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

What happened?
she was slurring her words, pronouncing simple words all wrong and sounded confused for much of the time

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

jesus WEP posted:

has anyone else been genuinely concerned for granny’s wellbeing since the last thursday show? :ohdear:

ive been worried about her for about a year now dude. it's going to come out of nowhere.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

And then she'll talk about working in the yard all day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't listen to B+V anymore because IMO the granny segment wasn't funny or worth listening to so I always ended up skipping it which ended up being almost half the episode sometimes. The last ones I heard she felt pretty disinterested in general and I can't really take them laughing at her saying wrestling moves wrong anymore. I know it's in good fun and it's not like she's forced to do it but I think maybe he should consider letting her go and not have to watch a bunch of wrestling every week. I heard Bryan talk about her slurring her words on WOL, he basically said it wasn't a big deal and he went to see her that night and she was fine but yeah I imagine there's going to be a time that'll probably be sooner than later where she just physically can't do the show anymore for one reason or another.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

On that hilarious note, I just signed up for a sub. I'm listening to the retro Raw/Nitro shows starting at the beginning of 2017, and those are fun. What's the other good stuff to be found on there, aside from the main show with Dave and Bryan.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Dave endorsing the old rape at the end of WOR was a fair buzz
Do I even want to know what this is about?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If past incidences are any indication, it's probably Dave awkwardly saying a thing was bad, but is better now, and a bunch of people claiming Dave said something bad was no big deal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

davidbix posted:

Dave said rape is bad, which means Dave endorsed rape.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

davidbix posted:

He said rape is bad but in the most Meltzer way imaginable kept talking about how it used to be common back in the day, and apparently saying something was common or different means he supports it.

If most people pull the "I'm not racist, but" line you just assume they're racist for 99% of people, Meltzer will just keep talking and say "it was a different time" for absolutely no reason other than he can't stop himself from talking

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It was Dave longwindedly being desensitized to wrestlers being lovely people.

It was an impossible question to give a noncontroversial answer to and the whole thing was Dave clearly hating how loving gross the industry was then.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 30, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He made a specific point that it wasn't just wrestling, all sports were like that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VJeff posted:

He made a specific point that it wasn't just wrestling, all sports were like that.

Correct. He just seemed defeated in general I guess. He also mentioned rock bands in the 60s and 70s and what not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Correct. He just seemed defeated in general I guess. He also mentioned rock bands in the 60s and 70s and what not.
It is shocking that bands and musicians have largely proven to be immune from #metoo.

The only one I've heard about is that Mountain Goats dude, when goddamn, every rock star was terrible.

David Bowie hosed kids, and nobody talks about it. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but you know they were doing some heinous poo poo.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

David Bowie hosed kids, and nobody talks about it. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but you know they were doing some heinous poo poo.

It's funny, I'm in charge of the music at work, and I threw a hissy fit about that goddamn Gary Glitter song being on our play list, yet when it comes to Zeppelin and Bowie and every other scumbag musician/rock group, I'm like "Ehhhhhh, whaddya gonna do...?"

I am a colossal hypocrite.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dave meltzer’s top 3 moments are apparently the birth of his children, a Don Frye match, and loving Manama Toyota

E: it was an old tweet thanks oatgan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DangerDummy! posted:

It's funny, I'm in charge of the music at work, and I threw a hissy fit about that goddamn Gary Glitter song being on our play list, yet when it comes to Zeppelin and Bowie and every other scumbag musician/rock group, I'm like "Ehhhhhh, whaddya gonna do...?"

I am a colossal hypocrite.

I mean Zeppelin & Bowie made good music. You could justify it like "they hosed groupies and didn't ask about age while Glitter went out of his way to gently caress kids" but really it's just if someone is good enough it's a lot easier to separate art & artist. People still love watching Woody Allen & Roman Polanski films.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

Dave meltzer’s top 3 moments are apparently the birth of his children, a Don Frye match, and loving Manama Toyota

E: it was an old tweet thanks oatgan

That’s a good top 3 tbh

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sportsgenius86 posted:

That’s a good top 3 tbh

Yeah

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This is why Dave can't run for public office.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

forkboy84 posted:

I mean Zeppelin & Bowie made good music. You could justify it like "they hosed groupies and didn't ask about age while Glitter went out of his way to gently caress kids" but really it's just if someone is good enough it's a lot easier to separate art & artist. People still love watching Woody Allen & Roman Polanski films.

turns out it was really really easy to just cut out the "nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh HEY" guy out, even though it was a certified jock jam

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

This is why Dave can't run for public office.
if he just came out and said “rape is great” he’d be governor of california in a year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just do what the San Jose Sharks did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-QwrPckdI

Not the same song, so no royalties!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

I mean Zeppelin & Bowie made good music. You could justify it like "they hosed groupies and didn't ask about age while Glitter went out of his way to gently caress kids"

Jimmy Page was a gross piece of poo poo pederast on par with Ted Nugent and I'm amazed it never comes up. I'm also amazed that Prince never gets called out for being both abusive and a major homophobe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Meltzer retweeted this, but, uh, isn't this literally how Meltzer got started?

https://twitter.com/ocampoxlaw/status/1057344261178384384

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Endless Mike posted:

Dave's got a Journalism degree though and wrote for newspapers though?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Endless Mike posted:

Uh.

Frank Deford?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He was a journalist and sports writer before The Wrestling Observer but the Observer was pretty much born out of him being an autistic level fan.

Edit: it also feels like some gatekeeping to say that you can never become a legit journalist with the start of "being a fan who takes photos and writes stories". It's harder but it feels like a viable path if you put in the work and produce quality content.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 30, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

a big fat bunny posted:

Dave's got a Journalism degree though and wrote for newspapers though?

Did he? I guess I wasn't aware of that!

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Endless Mike posted:

Did he? I guess I wasn't aware of that!

Yeah, had to google it. i mean, i get what you're saying because Gumball Gumption said it best

Gumball Gumption posted:

He was a journalist and sports writer before The Wrestling Observer but the Observer was pretty much born out of him being an autistic level fan.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a podcast or observer article about how he first got access to sources and stuff? I can't imagine that was a fun or easy process

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The funniest story related to that was James Mitchell getting a booking job somewhere because he was one of the earliest Observer subscribers, would memorize entire articles, and rattle them off to the boys to look like a genius.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is there a podcast or observer article about how he first got access to sources and stuff? I can't imagine that was a fun or easy process

I think a Texas promoter took him through everything but I can't remember which one. He's written about it before

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TTBF posted:

I think a Texas promoter took him through everything but I can't remember which one. He's written about it before

Paul Boesch but that was after he started writing the Observer. He's talked about it on various WORs but I don't remember which ones off hand. His Art of Wrestling appearance covered his career a good deal though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The funniest story related to that was James Mitchell getting a booking job somewhere because he was one of the earliest Observer subscribers, would memorize entire articles, and rattle them off to the boys to look like a genius.

To be fair, Dave fits about two War and Peaces into each newsletter, so memorizing that is pretty impressive!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Gabe done killed the only podcast dedicated to Evolve
https://twitter.com/evolvepod/status/1057381243145412608

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly I'm more interested in their next podcast idea if its going to be about wrestling and politics.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave also said something like he would ring the arenas and get the house numbers so all the wrestlers would subscribe to find out if they were being underpaid or not. Which is a good way to get readers and sources!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Sep 17, 2018 issue of the WON goes into great detail about his early years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Gabe done killed the only podcast dedicated to Evolve
https://twitter.com/evolvepod/status/1057381243145412608

I don't want to listen to the whole thing, what happened here?