Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Given her current plan until she came down with a sudden case of Not Being Alive was to hang out for 5000 years (and tortures the playable party in the timespan) until the crystal regrew, she'd probably just wait until she could help some other Vestal patsy gain enough power to perform the rite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, from all indication, seemingly killing the party here wasn't the end for her. She just needed all four crystals around and she could do something to escape.

What that something is, I have no idea!

Also, I'm not wholly sure if Cryst Fairies are an actual thing or just some BS that Airy made up.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, I'm not wholly sure if Cryst Fairies are an actual thing or just some BS that Airy made up.

I seem to remember Olivia not knowing what the hell she was, and when Airy said she was a Cryst Fairy she didn't have a clue what that meant either.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Alxprit posted:

This might also be dumb, but I was under the impression that Airy and Agnes have been together for a very long time, but the scenes here imply that she also enters each world through the Great Chasm, so does that mean that she and Agnes met, say, very shortly before Tiz ended up finding her in the very beginning of the game? Or am I misunderstanding?

I believe they only met shortly before Tiz showed up.
But it's true that Airy treats Agnès with a lot of familiarity. But in a way she HAS known her for a long time - she travelled the world over and over with different Agnèses.
Our Agnès probably didn't say anything about it because at the start of the adventure she was very shy and meek and later on it was just normal and expected that Airy would treat her like they had known each other for years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They met shortly before Tiz showed up. They even said as much in the last update.

Greyarc posted:

We first met on that precipice overlooking the Great Chasm. You had come forth from the chasm's depths.

But you had only just slain us! Our blood had yet to dry!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Given her current plan until she came down with a sudden case of Not Being Alive was to hang out for 5000 years (and tortures the playable party in the timespan) until the crystal regrew, she'd probably just wait until she could help some other Vestal patsy gain enough power to perform the rite.

Yeah, she's clearly immortal and capable of acting on a scale of centuries when she needs to. Agnes and co are just the most convenient patsies for getting the job done right now, but vestals can be replaced if you're willing to wait long enough.

Kind of disappointed we only got a little bit of Airy bitching about PCs before fighting her. Hope there's more of this because evil fairy letting all out and
just verbally (and literally I guess) letting rip on the heroes she's been following for God knows how long is hilarious in a really sadistic black-humour sort of way.

I dunno, perhaps I'm not taking this scene in the spirit it was intended but I can't help but read it in a comedic light even when it's a really horrific betrayal.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Quickly skimming the first few updates, yeah, there’s nothing implying that this Agnès had literally only just met Airy when the latter made her first appearance.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The simplicity of that boss battle makes it hard for me to believe that Airy's record is anywhere near as long as she says it is.

But yeah, the "Angnes only met Airy at the chasm right before we saw her" is thrown in here at the last minute.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Notice the background of the Dark Aurora?

It's basically implying that all your summons come from this place.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Here's the question I have. Wasn't it like all that time ago that an angel that looked like Agnes (so we can presume, given that people are world hopping, that this IS Agnes) came from the heavens to warn of this evil monster or whatever? And this came from the far flung past, so far back that everyone who wasn't a vampire should have died? Which Agnes was that? How was it possible to go back in time, especially since it seems like all of the pillars seem to go to the exact same spot in time? And if it was 5000 years in the past or whatever, how was Agnes alive at that point to go back? Also this Agnes kept going back, since every other world seemed to know of the angel, did she just go back in time to literally every world?

I have a feeling there will be more stuff to be inferred during the ending, but I think at this point, that's the only questions I can come with at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Before the final blow was struck, the Angel tore open a portal in time and flung Airy into the future, where her Crystals are law. :v:

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 99: The Courage to Think and Act on Your Own

After countless times and countless worlds, Airy has been stopped.

So foreign, this feeling... Is this...defeat!? Am I to simply vanish now, after eleven hundred million years and myraid worlds?

Heh heh heh. Ha ha ha ha ha... What absurd creatures are the race of man. You have won nothing in my defeat. But the great warriors of light are blind even to that... Heh heh heh.

The day will come when all boundaries shatter and His advent comes to pass. Know that I am but an emissary--a humble servant of His.

Uh-oh. You can't mean...

Then after all that, Airy wasn't the mastermind.

I pray that in some distant age hence, Your Malevolence will yet...cross over from the Beyond...

She was just an agent of a higher power.

But before we can ask questions...

Airy implodes.

We won? Maybe?

The party, however, is unconcerned with Airy's death-ramblings.

Is it truly over?

I believe so.

I never expected our journey to end like this.

I wonder if we succeeded in giving hope to anyone.

Of that, I am certain.

But it cost the lives of far more than we have heartened. It is still hard to fathom that the Rite of Awakening was an act of worldly destruction.

The crystals are still raging out of hand. If we don't restore them to their natural state--

The area begins shaking violently.

Waugh, what now!?

It's going to collapse!

That's our cue. Hurry, everyone. Run!

At least in this example of the collapsing bad guy fortress trope, it makes sense that this pocket dimension was only stable thanks to Airy's powers.

The party escapes in the nick of time. Without Airy, the dimension vanishes as quickly as she'd summoned it.

No doubt Caldisla would be grateful if any of the residents had observation skills greater than a puppet made of rocks.

Their job done, the party returns to Grandship, only to find...

There's a very slight difference to this scene depending on whether you've met DeRosso formally or not. If you have, you start off with the above line. If not:

Ah, it's the sage. And isn't that--

Lester DeRosso. Though your kind seems eager to call me Lord.

What's brought you here?

Agnès, Tiz, Edea, Ringabel... You have done well.

But it isn't over! Guys?

Airy was working for someone -- something -- even more powerful. Something that makes her seem like a small fry. Are we just going to ignore that?

I marvel at the power of youth. I doubt yours is a feat we could have managed.

Now, leave the rest to these two old men.

Indeed, for you have obligations elsewhere.

We do?

The Great Chasm links all the worlds through which you have journeyed.

Now that the Evil One is defeated, it will begin to close. You must each return to the worlds you wish ere it shuts for good.

The worlds...we wish?

This world is a mirror of the one you were born in, but only that. A reflection. You are free to remain nonetheless, or to return to the worlds whence you came.

The choice is yours, but it would seem there's little time to deliberate.

My JRPG need to punch out all the villains is, however, not shared by the others.

They probably figure Airy was lying again. Even if she was telling the truth, what could the party do about it? Airy was difficult enough -- this Ouroboros fellow sounds completely out of their league.

Now, quickly, children! If you would return, make haste! There's no time!

For this party, the adventure is complete.

They may not have caught on to Airy's scheme right away, but better late than never. Right?

For now, the day has been saved. That's what matters.

Thank you. For all you've done.

...... *squeeeeeze*

Sage, is that not quite enough?

Just a little longer. This is the last we'll meet.

She may not welcome such affection. And Tiz is staring daggers at you.

The Sage backs off.

Nothing like an awkward moment to forget transdimensional evil gods.

Bah! You people are no fun. ...Well, farewell to you, my angel.

May we meet again, though it may be a different me that greets you.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] I will be forever grateful!

DeRosso and Yulyana exit the ship while the party, Datz, Zatz, and the proprietress prepare for some quick ship maneuvers.

They're ready to leave with not a moment to spare.

Look! It stopped!

They've secured us a road home. I sense the tremendous force of their magic at work...

Well, Ringabel, let's go. Datz, Zatz, and the proprietress are waiting.

Alright, everyone. Hold on tight!

Back through the dimensions...

To the people they left behind.

Whichever worlds they choose to end up in to may not be perfect...

But to each member of the party, they've decided it's what they want to call home.

As for Airy and her mysterious overseer?

Ouroboros... The word describes an ancient concept of that which encloses all existence as one entity.

But that's a villain for another story.

It would seem so. And with nary a look back.

It was a long battle.

Indeed it was. After twenty-five hundred years, the battle is over at last.

For now, we're done.

:argh:

While the credits play, we get a look into where each member of the party ended up.

It's hard to see, but Ringabel's carrying a flower through Grandship.

Agnès returns to her peaceful life at the Wind Temple. She never did seem completely comfortable with the hectic outside world.

Egil's presence implies the party has returned to the world of Chapters 1-4. Tiz's brother is dead here, but for Tiz, other factors must make up for that.

We also get views of all the major towns we visited. Although the crystals are out of control, everyday life remains peaceful for now.

Eternia's corruption has ended, giving each nation a chance to recover and find a new normalcy.

The sage, for his part... Who knows?

What will happen to the Crystal Orthodoxy? Will the party use their knowledge to change the way the public worships the crystals?

The proprietress finally has a chance to get old customers back in her pub, and Datz and Zatz can return to Eisenberg...

Which is doing well now that the civil war is over. The soldiers have returned home and Goodman is finally getting some time in with Eleanor.

In Eternia City, we see a certain young girl out walking with her nurse: Khint's daughter, who seems to be feeling better.

With the crystals awakened, the sage peaced out and the other vestals dead, Agnès is now the highest authority of the Crystal Orthodoxy, or whatever she chooses the religion of the crystals to be.

I hadn't dared to hope... But the Warrior of Light returns! A feast! A feast for our hero!

How marshmallow king knows the whole extent of the party's deeds is anybody's guess. Maybe the sage told him. Maybe he's referring to how Eternia's stopped threatening war.

In this world, we left Edea's father crippled. Now that the angel's prophecy is ended, maybe he'll chill out. Edea, meanwhile, can take this opportunity to have Eternia ally with the protectors of the crystals.

As for Ringabel...

The memories of his home dimension are now fresh in his mind.

Some time ago, on a Grandship much like this one, he saw the Edea he grew up with die.

The flower is a tribute to her. The past is no longer forgotten. Now he can move on.

Their journey is complete.

Ha ah hah ha ha haaa no

We're not done.

We may have stopped Airy, but her boss Ouroboros is still out there. And unlike the party, I'm not satisfied with calling it a day.

Luckily, I have the power to keep the journey going.

Agnès's vestal gear is now battle-proof! I'll show this off later.

Back to the title screen. Was that text there before?

Uh...

Although the game is just called Bravely Default in the Western release, it has a hidden subtitle: Where the Fairy Flies. The hidden message there is also in the original Japanese version, named Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. Much like our fairy friend, the answer was in front of us all along.

The game's subtitle/spoiler text only appears on the upper screen if you select a save file which has cleared an ending. Yes, an ending.

Loading up the save brings the party back to the edge of the Great Chasm, only this time the Dark Aurora isn't there.

AUGH

Oh hi Airy yeah sure

We're back in the world where we left off, but time's rewound. The fourth crystal is waiting for us.

This time, we're going to do what previously seemed unacceptable.

We're going to go along with Airy's plan.

And we're going to pretend everything is fine.

Is going along with the Evil One's plan crazy? Yes. Is it going to wreck more worlds? Yes. But if we alert Airy here, she faces us down and either kills us or we kill her.

If there's any chance, any at all, we can root out a greater evil...

I don't feel the warmth I did the first time.

I feel nothing at all. Nothing save a stabbing pain, all over...

Where are Datz and Zatz?

I had them take refuge in the hold.

Okay, everyone, don't forget to watch over me! This is going to work this time, you'll see!

There's a long, awkward pause.

Airy starts concentrating, ignoring the party.

Wait. Are we...are we really sure about this?

*shakes head*

O wondrous and beautiful First Light, my brooch awaits your divine radiance!

In this version of events, the party is continuing on despite Ringabel's warnings.

He remembers the past clearly now. He saw Airy murder the others in another world, yet they're insisting on treating Airy and her plan as though nothing's wrong.

Do they have any idea how much danger they're in? Did they not take his story seriously?

Ringabel!

Why...?

Let's keep watch.

What!?

Agnès, however, has taken Ringabel's words to heart.

When she says this, she doesn't sound like someone keeping an eye on a friend. She sounds like someone observing the enemy.

...Right.

Forgive me, Tiz! It's my fault...! Because of me and the Holy Pillar, your village... Time and time again...

Agnès is a stoic person, but at this point, even without breaking a crystal, she's reaching her limit. Player input aside, it's on her and her alone whether they continue this destructive charade. It's one thing to do so obliviously, but now she knows the consequences of her decisions.

But as always, Tiz has her back. They aren't going to rush. This is about more than Airy.

Our true enemy. The source of the great darkness.

How much longer must we suffer this sadness?

Just a little longer...until that pattern heralds the beginning!

For now, we'll grit our teeth and bear it. Together. Until it's done.

And beyond that, we'll make amends together still...

The ceremony is complete.

Once again, the ship is bathed in light...

Next: The plot veers off the rails.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
From the Beyond
The Dark Aurora Vanishes
The Lord and the Sage
The Long Battle Ends
The Final Chapter
The Third Holy Pillar
The Path We Believe In

D's Journal: Airy posted:

We fought for our lives against Airy at the Altar of Darkness. After defeating her hideous larva-like form, we eked out a victory against the pupal monstrosity that next emerged. As she faced oblivion, she heralded the coming of Lord Ouroboros. Is our long struggle not yet over?

D's Journal: Sage Yulyana posted:

The sage praised us for defeating Airy at the Dark Aurora. With the demise of the evil one, the Great Chasm began to close. The sage and Lord DeRosso used their sorcerous skill to hold it open long enough for us to return to the worlds we had chosen. They watched as we headed off to live our lives.

D's Journal: Lord DeRosso posted:

After defeating Airy at the Altar of Darkness, the Dark Aurora collapsed and the Great Chasm began to contract. Lord DeRosso and Sage Yulyana told us to return to the worlds of our choosing. They used their great power to hold the chasm open long enough for us to slip through aboard Grandship, and we headed off on our chosen paths...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Congrats on "beating" Bravely Default. Now, it's time to beat Bravely Default.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I bet you thought it was over.

Ahahahaha, get your rear end back in that Holy Pillar. That X button isn't going to mash itself. :shepicide:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm confused. Is the party aware of the NG+ here? Or does that scene at the holy pillar happen no matter what?

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Patter Song posted:

Congrats on "beating" Bravely Default. Now, it's time to beat Bravely Default.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That X button isn't going to mash itself.

Lucky thing I'm inured to mindless, time-wasting gameplay thanks to a lifetime of playing JRPGs, otherwise this might be terrible! :sun:

Seriously, this game comes closer to an arthouse-style 'the search for meaning is pain, fun is for proles' flick than anything Nomura's done.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, what? It still isn't over?!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, what? It still isn't over?!

If OP wanted to, he could plow through the remaining bit fairly quickly. You just need to go light the crystals. Why are you wasting time doing all this other stuff? None of it will even matter because you're just going to destroy this world to get to the next one anyway.

EDIT:

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 30, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Omobono posted:

I'm confused. Is the party aware of the NG+ here? Or does that scene at the holy pillar happen no matter what?

It still happens, it's not NG+ exclusive.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The rea issue is trying to suss out the ingame reason the party is doing this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pureauthor posted:

The rea issue is trying to suss out the ingame reason the party is doing this.

They stated it. They want to strike at the source of the great darkness, AKA Airy's boss.

How do they know about him/her/it, you ask?
Oh look behind you, a convenient distraction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This part is dumb. "Yeah, let's go along with her evil plan a little longer...because." It leads to the truer ending because the writers declared that it should, but there's no logical reason for the party to do this.

It's especially dumb because of how amazing it felt to make the choice to disobey Airy. So basically we're undoing that and saying that following the narrative mindlessly like a good little sheep is the proper way to play. Honestly I wish they'd switched how you go to the Normal Ending and the True Ending. I don't care about the plot details, they can always rewrite those.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 30, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, a single scene after the first ending that shows them realizing it or a message from themselves or somethin neat would address it

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

It took 5 world's to finally learn the message of the story: talk to Braev the enemy learn their side of the story before stabbing their face off.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

This part is dumb. "Yeah, let's go along with her evil plan a little longer...because." It leads to the truer ending because the writers declared that it should, but there's no logical reason for the party to do this.

It's especially dumb because of how amazing it felt to make the choice to disobey Airy. So basically we're undoing that and saying that following the narrative mindlessly like a good little sheep is the proper way to play. Honestly I wish they'd switched how you go to the Normal Ending and the True Ending. I don't care about the plot details, they can always rewrite those.

Honestly, I think the game would have been far better received if the conditions for the endings were the other way around. Like you said, getting this ending was pretty dependent upon the player figuring out what to do and actually acting on it. It would have made the loops an interesting meta puzzle to solve instead of just going through the motions just because. Except what's going on now is doing... the opposite of that for some reason.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

I came up with a decent sized write-up here talking about thematic and plot inconsistencies, then I figured something out regarding the story, then decided the whole post veered into spoiler territory.

I guess needless to say, there're more twists to come and there's going to be a lot to unpack regarding how/whether this last portion of the game undermines the rest, what the devs might have intended for gameplay/story integration and theme, and how well they succeeded.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's kind of weird that a game that has been continually saying "have the courage to disobey" isn't saying to disobey the helper character and instead wants you to ignore the Eternian Forces' warnings, even though everything after Chapter 4 has been progressively softening the Eternian Forces and you have two characters in the Eternian Forces who are cooperating with the party and two party members previously allied with them.

I don't see why the proactive choice is the "bad" ending.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Greyarc posted:

So foreign, this feeling... Is this...defeat!? Am I to simply vanish now, after eleven hundred million years and myraid worlds?
Right. Maths time! :eng101:

Both versions of the journal have the Great Chasm opening on October 3rd, and Alternis waiting at the Pillar of Light on June 16th. If those are typical (which they should be, if even adding a fourth member to the party didn't speed them up), that gives Airy an average time of 0.7014 years per Luxendarc, which I think translates to an average speed of 1.4257 Luxendarcs per year.

So if we take "eleven hundred million years" literally, she's been through somewhere in the region of 1,568,270,000 Luxendarcs. That number just goes even higher if you have Vestals that lasted several universes, just cruising around everywhere in Grandship like this Agnès did!

(That means she's had to sit through the crystal-awakening button-mash more than 6¼ billion times. And you thought you were sick of it.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I’m mildly disappointed Airy had a boss to be honest. She was interesting enough as a villain with her very personal connection to the main characters that a bit of expanded backstory was all she really needed to be the mastermind herself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Boy Airy's wings must have looked really weird in world 1,568,270,000

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Quantum Toast posted:

Both versions of the journal have the Great Chasm opening on October 3rd, and Alternis waiting at the Pillar of Light on June 16th. If those are typical (which they should be, if even adding a fourth member to the party didn't speed them up), that gives Airy an average time of 0.7014 years per Luxendarc, which I think translates to an average speed of 1.4257 Luxendarcs per year.

So if we take "eleven hundred million years" literally, she's been through somewhere in the region of 1,568,270,000 Luxendarcs. That number just goes even higher if you have Vestals that lasted several universes, just cruising around everywhere in Grandship like this Agnès did!

(That means she's had to sit through the crystal-awakening button-mash more than 6¼ billion times. And you thought you were sick of it.)

imagine how many MRGRGRGRs she's had to hear over the years

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Boy Airy's wings must have looked really weird in world 1,568,270,000
I'm choosing to believe she had to go through doorways sideways until she got down to about five digits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Huh, I was expecting that the true end would come from ignoring the Sage and DeRosso's advice, not to need a NG+. I guess forcing you to go through at least one more crystal cycle (possibly more?) is thematic but I'm a little concerned it will feel choreish like redoing Chapter 5 was.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Quantum Toast posted:

That goes a way towards explaining her hatred.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

GimmickMan posted:

Huh, I was expecting that the true end would come from ignoring the Sage and DeRosso's advice, not to need a NG+. I guess forcing you to go through at least one more crystal cycle (possibly more?) is thematic but I'm a little concerned it will feel choreish like redoing Chapter 5 was.

Good news: the next world is going to be... Radically different from everything that’s come before.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Well, you were right. You don't need to do this detour at all. Just obey Airy and you'll continue the countdown...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Reinbach posted:

That goes a way towards explaining her hatred.

Maybe Airy was originally nice but was slowly driven into insanity by playing Bravely Default millions of times. :ohdear:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That little touch with the title screen is such a neat little thing.

this series has a bunch of cool fourth wall thingamajigs and I think this counts as one

also the thread title change, mysterious spooky mod

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

McDragon posted:

That little touch with the title screen is such a neat little thing.

Bravely Default isn't Final Fantasy. Take out the FF and you see what it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

ultrafilter posted:

Bravely Default isn't Final Fantasy. Take out the FF and you see what it really is.

......Inal Antasy?