Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Where do I look up those changes? (Thanks btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Where do I look up those changes? (Thanks btw)

FAQs are here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

The specific rule you're looking for is here (first rule, handily): https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/warhammer_40000_rulebook_en.pdf

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Flying units all crash to the ground between movement phases, occasionally scraping along (but not above) the terrain to charge into melee.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cage Kicker posted:

Flying units all crash to the ground between movement phases, occasionally scraping along (but not above) the terrain to charge into melee.

Change “fly” to “hop” and it makes more sense in your head.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
What’s with the bases on that rogue trader and the kroot character? It looks like there’s bits of rock molded to their feet, which seems kinda weird if they’re supposed to be in a spaceship.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Badablack posted:

What’s with the bases on that rogue trader and the kroot character? It looks like there’s bits of rock molded to their feet, which seems kinda weird if they’re supposed to be in a spaceship.

The Blackstone Fortress is going to look like an ancient space station hewn from obsidian and now half-wrecked, I suspect.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes this absolutely makes the flying jetbikes with no ground propulsion system whatsoever and also the literal aircraft in hover mode being unable to move over units during the charge phase much more sensical.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Would have helped if they'd made a SKIMMER keyword too rather than lumping dakkajets into the same category as zoanthropes

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I will never stop being bitter at the constant nerfs to jump infantry.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

xtothez posted:

Would have helped if they'd made a SKIMMER keyword too rather than lumping dakkajets into the same category as zoanthropes

From a man who plans to run a few tractor kannons, I like things just the way they are. FLY is a good key word.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Re-Ban all flyers IMHO

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pendent posted:

I will never stop being bitter at the constant nerfs to jump infantry.

Assault Marines are too good for this dead, gay world.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Raphus C posted:

From a man who plans to run a few tractor kannons, I like things just the way they are. FLY is a good key word.

:getin:

My 4th is on the way, and I had to pull the bits for the Traktor out of the loft (replacing the KMK barrel).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strobe posted:

Yes this absolutely makes the flying jetbikes with no ground propulsion system whatsoever and also the literal aircraft in hover mode being unable to move over units during the charge phase much more sensical.

Good thing this isn't a simulation then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LingcodKilla posted:

Which makes perfect sense for jetbikes but not so much for dedicated aircraft

There should be two keywords, FLY and AERIAL

Things that actually do hop around should have FLY

Things like supersonic ork planes should have AERIAL, only be usable in matches of Death from the Skies if both players agree to do that, and all of them unable to charge or be charged by anything that doesn't have AERIAL

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m sorry we thought about it more than games workshop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strobe posted:

To be fair, if you have to fly up and over to get to someone to melee, you don't then have room left to land and start fighting. At that point you're just crash-landing on top of them.

I do approve of adding a crash-landing ability to the game though, especially for orks :orks:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I feel like adding "Jump" to jump infantry is different enough to "Fly" to be easy enough to differentiate so a flak cannon isn't as effective to infantry ten feet in the air as a aircraft 10 thousand feet or whatever.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
...I wonder if it would be better to represent actually-flying-flying vehicles as just, like, stratagems. Spend 2 CP to have a plane far above do a strafing run or drop a bomb or something.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I actually quite like the single FLY keyword; It's similar to the principle of making vehicles into Monstrous Creatures, and just simplifies the game. They just need those rules to be more elegant, and the various Units that rely on it to be a bit (a lot, if they're Assault Marines) better in general. But the basic principal of streamlining it down isn't a bad one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It irks me that Tau stuff like Ruptides and Ghostkeels don"t have the VEHICLE keyword.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

...I wonder if it would be better to represent actually-flying-flying vehicles as just, like, stratagems. Spend 2 CP to have a plane far above do a strafing run or drop a bomb or something.

So go back to 3rd edition?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stephenls posted:

Yeah I'm down with this. There's cool airplane models and GW wants to sell them but I don't think it belongs in 40k combat. Vehicles like that move too fast and fight in ways that isn't conducive to 40k style combat. You'd have to do something more like X-Wing, and gently caress mixing the two at the same time. Again, unless you and your opponent specifically feel like playing death from above.

They should release a boxed game (did they?) for playing with only flying-flying machines, and then have rules for mixing that with 40k if you wish, but otherwise 40k should only have troop transports and tanks. And then yeah, stratagems can represent some ongoing air battle spilling into the ground battle.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booley posted:

So go back to 3rd edition?
This is always the correct answer. :colbert:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ilor posted:

This is always the correct answer. :colbert:

Not for Dark Angels players.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

It irks me that Tau stuff like Ruptides and Ghostkeels don"t have the VEHICLE keyword.

It irks me that the Stormsurge doesn't have the BATTLESUIT keyword.

But the Ta'unar does. :psyduck:

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Funny that 3rd edition Dark Angels should get mentioned, the last time I went through the work of building and painting a full WH40K army was during 3rd. I thought, what army would look cool? and without doing any research beforehand picked up the new Dark Angels Codex and started cranking out a Deathwing army...

Anyway, spurred on by interest from the new GW and a positive reception to 8th I've decided to dip my toe back in with Orks. Assuming that I want to run some Meganobz, Bikers, a few of the new vehicles, and some Kommandos what paint jobs should I be trying out?

Deathskulls seem good and paintable, Blood Axes seem to be a good match but I don't think I want to try intricate camouflage on a bunch of figures. Bad Moons seem paintable but not really the play style I'm interested in. Thoughts?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm down with this. There's cool airplane models and GW wants to sell them but I don't think it belongs in 40k combat. Vehicles like that move too fast and fight in ways that isn't conducive to 40k style combat. You'd have to do something more like X-Wing, and gently caress mixing the two at the same time. Again, unless you and your opponent specifically feel like playing death from above.

They should release a boxed game (did they?) for playing with only flying-flying machines, and then have rules for mixing that with 40k if you wish, but otherwise 40k should only have troop transports and tanks. And then yeah, stratagems can represent some ongoing air battle spilling into the ground battle.

Lords of War too. Then you could call it something cool like... apocalypse? if you want to represent these things that don’t belong in tactical level combat. poo poo, shrink it down and we could call it something cool like .... epic!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What ever happened to Aeronautica Imperialis, is that still around?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

It irks me that the Stormsurge doesn't have the BATTLESUIT keyword.

But the Ta'unar does. :psyduck:

Neither one should, FW is just bad at writing rules. Drones tanking wounds for a stormsurge would only make playing against Tau even more miserable than it is- at least most people never have to deal with a taunar.

Frankly drones need to be entirely rethought. They’re a terrible mechanic that serves mostly to slow the game down and cause bad feeling for opponents.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

Neither one should, FW is just bad at writing rules. Drones tanking wounds for a stormsurge would only make playing against Tau even more miserable than it is- at least most people never have to deal with a taunar.

Frankly drones need to be entirely rethought. They’re a terrible mechanic that serves mostly to slow the game down and cause bad feeling for opponents.

I kind of agree, but the Stormsurge sucks really loving bad and I don't think that getting drones to tank for it would make it good. It's just irritating that there's nothing even close to consistency on what is and is not a battlesuit once you get up that high.

At present a Ta'unar costs a minimum of 1879 points so I'm not sure there's any combination of it plus drones that will make a 2k game against it anything other than a massive curbstomp for the other player to inflict on something barely more durable than a Castellan.

T'au Lords of War are in a really lovely place.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Lords of War too. Then you could call it something cool like... apocalypse? if you want to represent these things that don’t belong in tactical level combat. poo poo, shrink it down and we could call it something cool like .... epic!

Since you seem unwilling to go back to 3rd or 4th to make the game what you want it to be, have you considered only playing 1000 point games? Its pretty hard to take the poo poo you hate when you're at a lower points level. The armies you'll field around 1000-1250 are pretty similar to what you'd have in a 1750 or 2k game of 3rd/4th too. Perfect for everything you want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Booley posted:

Since you seem unwilling to go back to 3rd or 4th to make the game what you want it to be, have you considered only playing 1000 point games? Its pretty hard to take the poo poo you hate when you're at a lower points level. The armies you'll field around 1000-1250 are pretty similar to what you'd have in a 1750 or 2k game of 3rd/4th too. Perfect for everything you want.

Why I never thought of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Booley posted:

Sure. Also you can simply agree with your opponent that flyers and lords of war are not allowed. :)

I don't see myself ever playing in a serious 40k tournament as long as I live. Gross.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure. Also you can simply agree with your opponent that flyers and lords of war are not allowed. :)

I don't see myself ever playing in a serious 40k tournament as long as I live. Gross.

Yuck. Human interaction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Revelation 2-13 posted:

My first impression is that orks look really cool and fun. Obviously it remains to be seen whether they'll win any tournaments, but I think their kulturs all look god drat amazing and I cant imagine them not being both good and fun in normal play. At a glance they certainly have a ton more decent playstyle options.

Boys being a tiny bit more expensive seems completely fine I think, considering what they get from kultur and strategems. Evil sunz bikers will get a ton of turn 1 charges, obviously footslogging boys will need da jump (someone should do the 9 inch probability for evil suns with new 'ere we got). As far as I can tell killa kans unfortunately don't get kultur, which sucks for me as they're my favorite "ork" unit, but overall it seems like a real solid codex.

Boyz costin' a little more is fine, given that there's other stuff that's viable to put on the table besides a green wall with trukks.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Improbable Lobster posted:

What ever happened to Aeronautica Imperialis, is that still around?

Last seen being quietly taken in a sack to the nearest river and being chucked in with a rock tied to the bottom.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Lungboy posted:

Last seen being quietly taken in a sack to the nearest river and being chucked in with a rock tied to the bottom.

If only it had the FLY keyword.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Stephenls posted:

Having jet aircraft in a game with 40K's scale and board size as actual on-board units has never made any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Nothing in 40k makes sense. Just roll with it.