Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Super Rad posted:

Agreed that killing anyone other than the villagers that attacked him was hosed up, but that said I was still able to sympathize enough to not kill him. The game definitely puts Geralt in a lot of awkward situations where he has to do some 'gray area' killing - not to mention that Witchers have the world's most intense PTSD.

Heck, during the Skellige quests (depending on how you handle them) Cerys will pretend to murder a baby causing two guards to attack Geralt. After Geralt murders the two guards it's revealed that it was just a prank to help one dude lift a curse on him and I'm just like.... Oooo kaaaay what about the two guards I cut in half? Did that really need to happen?

There's definitely some gameplay story segregation going on quite a few times where Geralt could just knock out some dudes instead of slicing them in half and/or burning them, yeah.
But outside of that, sob stories or magic PTSD don't excuse any crime. There's always a justification from the killer's perspective, that doesn't change the fact he did commit the crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
I'm curious what the people who let Gaetan go think of Radovid. I'd argue the two are broadly pretty similar. Radovid's got a pretty compelling sob story starting out. Then his first big act of horrifying violence is directed against the person who wronged him, who more or less has it coming. He then goes on to run down everyone even tangentially affiliated with the person who wronged him so he can murder them too, maintaining all along that he's the real victim. Going ahead with the assassination isn't a hard choice, but for me, neither is killing Gaetan. For people who feel for Gaetan but not Mad Rad, what's the difference for you?

Hell, as far as killing/sparing Cat Witchers goes, I'd say Jad Karadan's the much thornier case. He's got a lot to answer for, and the notion that he should be allowed to declare that his past crimes don't count and retire to a mansion rankles, but at least it's pretty clear he's no longer a threat to anyone. As for Gaetan, this isn't his first massacre (if Geralt suggests to him that this isn't the first time this has happened, his response amounts to a snippy "So did you come to kill me or just stand around judging me?"), and, given his lack of remorse, isn't likely to be his last.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

GrossMurpel posted:

There's definitely some gameplay story segregation going on quite a few times where Geralt could just knock out some dudes instead of slicing them in half and/or burning them, yeah.

I disagree with this honestly and like that combat in the Witcher is pretty lethal (for everybody else anyway); outside of carefully controlled conditions, anything that is capable of knocking someone unconscious stands a pretty good chance of just killing them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

King Superman posted:

I'm curious what the people who let Gaetan go think of Radovid. I'd argue the two are broadly pretty similar. Radovid's got a pretty compelling sob story starting out. Then his first big act of horrifying violence is directed against the person who wronged him, who more or less has it coming. He then goes on to run down everyone even tangentially affiliated with the person who wronged him so he can murder them too, maintaining all along that he's the real victim. Going ahead with the assassination isn't a hard choice, but for me, neither is killing Gaetan. For people who feel for Gaetan but not Mad Rad, what's the difference for you?

Hell, as far as killing/sparing Cat Witchers goes, I'd say Jad Karadan's the much thornier case. He's got a lot to answer for, and the notion that he should be allowed to declare that his past crimes don't count and retire to a mansion rankles, but at least it's pretty clear he's no longer a threat to anyone. As for Gaetan, this isn't his first massacre (if Geralt suggests to him that this isn't the first time this has happened, his response amounts to a snippy "So did you come to kill me or just stand around judging me?"), and, given his lack of remorse, isn't likely to be his last.

Someone didn't play Witcher 2.

Rad is a loving monster. He's the actual worst human being in the game. Whoreson comes close, but Whoreson also doesn't commit genocide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would be willing to forgive the Cat witcher for a momentary lapse... but he says he's done the same thing multiple times. He knows he is a killer, he doesn't feel any remorse, and he doesn't feel like doing anything to avoid a repeat in the future.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

andrew smash posted:

I disagree with this honestly and like that combat in the Witcher is pretty lethal (for everybody else anyway); outside of carefully controlled conditions, anything that is capable of knocking someone unconscious stands a pretty good chance of just killing them.

Well in the mentioned case specifically, do you think Geralt couldn't incapacitate two run of the mill guards without killing them?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Rad is a loving monster. He's the actual worst human being in the game. Whoreson comes close, but Whoreson also doesn't commit genocide.

Emhyr is the worst human in the game and Thronebreaker: Witcher tales sets this in stone.... It shows all the horrible atrocities and scorched earth tactics the nilfs use in full...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i wonder how much geralt regrets saving bitch rear end duny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that bit was really jarring, and they could have easily used a fistfighting minigame instead (the jarl wants to capture Geralt alive to have him tortured for what he has done or whatever)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Cons:
1 emperor who I'm not convinced really was that much worse than whoever else would have taken the throne.
Pros:
1 awesome daughter who in game canon saved all of existence in all dimensions from the White Frost.
:shrug:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Emhyr is the worst human in the game and Thronebreaker: Witcher tales sets this in stone.... It shows all the horrible atrocities and scorched earth tactics the nilfs use in full...

I've been hoping that I'd get to kill him since the moment I heard there would be a Witcher game and while I do feel disappointed that I couldn't do it directly, I'm glad I was could at least contribute. And I made sure to make him feel extra miserable by letting him know he's not getting that Father Of The Year Award after all, that was fun too.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I will say I like that when you're talking to a certain Witcher 2 character it plays leitmotifs from that game which is a neat touch.

Yo it still sucks, sorry. *rides off to an identical five shack town where every npc greets me by saying "gently caress" and spitting at nothing in particular*

They're spitting at the freak mutant who just sprinted into town and shoved 5 people to the ground.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wasn't that to make him feel regret?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Radovid has been an ambitious lunatic since The Witcher 1 when he was conspiring with Adda against Foltest and bankrolling (partially at least) Salamandra.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

GrossMurpel posted:

Well in the mentioned case specifically, do you think Geralt couldn't incapacitate two run of the mill guards without killing them?

With weapons drawn? Not with any degree of certainty. The real way "less lethal" weapons work is putting someone in enough pain or other discomfort that they don't want to fight any more. These dudes have swords out so trying to punch them out (the nonlethal option in this game) is risking getting skewered. Reminder that book-geralt's death came at the hands of a rando peasant with a pitchfork.

I still think it's stupid that you have to kill them instead of something else, like another fist fight as mentioned above.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Two words: Axii

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't play Witcher 2, but I spared the other Witcher who killed the king. Felt okay about that after he spun his tale, and he came out to help at the keep so I call it a win. Dunno how I'd feel if I played the second game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Reminder that book-geralt's death came at the hands of a rando peasant with a pitchfork.

In the middle of a loving riot. I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to assume with the way Witcher fighting is presented both in the books and the games, Geralt could easily pirouette around two guards indefinitely.

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't play Witcher 2, but I spared the other Witcher who killed the king. Felt okay about that after he spun his tale, and he came out to help at the keep so I call it a win. Dunno how I'd feel if I played the second game.

The main reason to kill him is to get a second chance at a fight that you previously lost due to cutscene shenanigans.
E: Whoops, I meant that's the main reason for killing him in W2.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 30, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

steinrokkan posted:

Two words: Axii

I don't disagree but that option is rarely presented

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

personally i always kill him in w3

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Fuzz posted:

Not denying that he's a piece of poo poo. Like I said, I had zero compunctions with going through the assassination, and have zero pity for both of them. My point was that, like Gaetan, he has a compelling sob story, and that, like Gaetan, having a sob story doesn't excuse him for being a piece of poo poo. His dad is murdered when he's a kid, he's then raised to be a puppet king by the person who masterminded the murder, and there was indeed a sorcerous conspiracy to undermine his rule. He's a teenager who's spent his whole life tangled up in wars and plots.

The thing is, everybody (rightly) agrees that that doesn't excuse poo poo, because he's a genocidal monster. It's just that I feel the same way about Gaetan. Guy's had a poo poo life for sure, and was justified in killing the village elders who tried to murder him. Then he pisses away that goodwill by murdering everybody else in the village.

My question is what differentiates the two besides their respective reach. Radovid's definitely a greater menace since he has an army of fanatics to knock down peoples doors and burn families at the stake for him, in contrast to Gaetan who's stuck pulling kids out from under beds and slitting their throats personally. My hangup is if there's a morally substantive difference between the two, besides Radovid being born into a position where he's able to do horrible poo poo on a kingdom by kingdom rather than village by village basis.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
You're totally right, but I guess I had more sympathy for Gaetan as a 'fellow witcher' - and like I mentioned way earlier in the thread if you're wearing cat school armor he notices and makes a neat comment about it. So those are my totally unconvincing reasons for letting Radovid get his comeuppance and letting Gaetan go.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

You'd feel the same way, since Letho's an alright dude.

Super Rad posted:

You're totally right, but I guess I had more sympathy for Gaetan as a 'fellow witcher' - and like I mentioned way earlier in the thread if you're wearing cat school armor he notices and makes a neat comment about it. So those are my totally unconvincing reasons for letting Radovid get his comeuppance and letting Gaetan go.

The saddest part is that the only way to have Radovid die is to let Phillipa get her revenge, which just pisses me off more because holy poo poo Phillipa is one of the worst human beings in the game, too, and deserved to have her failures rubbed in her loving face before she got the sword, instead of getting to feel all smug that she got the last laugh and then loving off as an owl.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Seems like a real failing of the game that you can only see to the death of only one or the other. Porque no los dos??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

I don't disagree but that option is rarely presented

Yes, that's the point - it should have been an option in that case.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Yeah, I appreciate that the Black Ones are full-on Nazis in Thronebreaker like they were in the books. Witcher 3 focuses less on their atrocities -- even making them personable in some cases -- in favor of showing how loving crazy Joe Stalin Radovid is.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Fuzz posted:

The saddest part is that the only way to have Radovid die is to let Phillipa get her revenge, which just pisses me off more because holy poo poo Phillipa is one of the worst human beings in the game, too, and deserved to have her failures rubbed in her loving face before she got the sword, instead of getting to feel all smug that she got the last laugh and then loving off as an owl.

For what it's worth, Philippa's got a pretty bleak outlook, even if she's too proud to admit it. Of the three parties that can win the war, Radovid and Dijkstra are both committed to seeing her die in agony, and while in theory Emhyr has agreed to pardon her, I wouldn't put too much stock in that, especially once he notices her getting too close to Ciri.

Besides that, her power base has collapsed and her friends are all either dead or sick of her. She bails on the reconstituted Lodge because they no longer defer to her, and the game seems to telegraph she's due to fall flat on her face in Nilfgaard's politics, too, given her hilariously bad read of Yen's intentions.

Admittedly, that last part is speculation. She does seem like someone who really could've used an epilogue slide.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Phillipa is burned at the stake by witch hunters some years later.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Are you guys talking about Saint Philippa?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I find it hard to hate Philippa after her Triss Real Talk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I find it hard to hate Philippa after her Triss Real Talk

Did you play Witcher 2?
She deserved far worse than she got

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Phillipa is burned at the stake by witch hunters some years later.

See, this is more or less how I figured she'd end up.

GrossMurpel posted:

Saint Philippa

Although I can't say I saw this coming.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Yeah, I appreciate that the Black Ones are full-on Nazis in Thronebreaker like they were in the books. Witcher 3 focuses less on their atrocities -- even making them personable in some cases -- in favor of showing how loving crazy Joe Stalin Radovid is.

I don't know, every instance of someone from Nilfgaard seeming like an okay person is bookended by them doing or saying something monstrous.

The only exception I can really think of is... Voorhis, I guess?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Russad posted:

I don't know, every instance of someone from Nilfgaard seeming like an okay person is bookended by them doing or saying something monstrous.

The Nilfgaard commander in White Orchard Did Nothing Wrong™.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Russad posted:

Yeah, but in W3 it's in the context of "both sides are bad." I think it's sort of neat for a Polish developer to do a reds vs blacks storyline, but the Nilfgaardians from the books (and Thronebreaker) are genocidal slavers compared to whom Radovid the Mad looks positively sane.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Dijkstra's far more a Stalin figure than Radovid. I don't see how anyone reads Radovid's Redania as the USSR. I'd see Radovid as the personification of feudalism. Backwards peasant and religious led pogroms contrasted against the rationalised elimination of undesirables by Nilfgaard.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 31, 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

andrew smash posted:

A broke hobo with a hot rear end magic lady girlfriend who leaves money hidden around for you because she knows you're gonna starve on principle otherwise, ie in a pretty good spot all things told

Broke: I refuse to participate in the feudalist-imperialist Redanian economy.

Woke: My high flying girlfriend bungs me money for my central Novigrad studio flat.

E: Come to think of it, where in the books does Nilfgaard have slaves? I'm sure it's true but I don't remember ever reading it.

They also have gender equality and a psychic army corps so that's cool too.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Afaik they practice the indentured servants type of slavery.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Cons:
1 emperor who I'm not convinced really was that much worse than whoever else would have taken the throne.
Pros:
1 awesome daughter who in game canon saved all of existence in all dimensions from the White Frost.
:shrug:

AFAIR Pavetta already had a "bun in her oven" when Geralt saved Duny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Afaik they practice the indentured servants type of slavery.

That's literally the entire Witcher universe. What do you think being a serf was?