Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm going for a r2r2r run in the Spring and trying to plan my trip around the weather. Anyone with spring experience know what the weather is like late march?

11,000 feet and 47.5 miles in one day? Sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Winter is a perfect time to visit, it's not broiling hot and you'll avoid all the crowds. I would add Moab to your list--Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, and Mesa Verde are right nearby. I just did Grand Canyon earlier this year and I think you'll have a great hike virtually anywhere you go in the park. I think that during the winter you can even drive out along where the shuttles normally run to hermits rest and visit the scenic pulloffs and hikes there if you wanted to avoid Bright Angel, which is probably the most used trail in the park.

I would avoid the Boucher Trail though, especially in the winter:

The Moab area is definitely on my long list of hopeful stops. Honestly it's hard to narrow down to a 10ish day itinerary. There's so much in the area.

Thanks for the advice on the trails. We won't try anything too sketchy. Hopefully the big popular ones aren't crowded in winter. That was our experience in Yosemite in December a couple years ago, and it was wonderful.

The Aardvark posted:

For the hiking at GC make sure you get YakTrax or something of the sort. It's slippery as gently caress on the mud going up and down the trails.

We've got Yaktrax, but we've mostly used them for around the city walking in winter. I'm not sure if we should grab some actual microspikes.

We also have snowshoes and do a fair amount of light snowshoeing in winter. Doesn't sound like there will be enough snow to justify bringing those, but I'll research that more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Finally catching up on my photo backlog from Utah

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Loving the grainy looks on those.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Brb going to utah

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
My partner and I are visiting the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and possibly northern France and far western Germany next summer. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations or resources for easy to moderate dayhikes in that region?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

My partner and I are visiting the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and possibly northern France and far western Germany next summer. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations or resources for easy to moderate dayhikes in that region?

I don't have any helpful advice but I'd be surprised if there are any hikes in that area that aren't easy to moderate except due to length.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just saw this. If anyone who wears a true XL needs an awesome mid weight later, get this:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/deviator-jacket-insulated-for-men~p~200fh/

I love mine.

"True XL" meaning like maybe 6 foot or over 190lbs. My L fits me perfectly, snugly, at 5-10 190 with a like 42" chest.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What exercises should I be doing that help my knees? I swim 5 days a week, but on my trip to San Gorgonio the most annoying thing was the knee pain on the way down.

The second most annoying thing was shoulder pain. I was wearing a regular Eastpak backpack, and perhaps a more appropriate hiking backpack would have been smarter. Still, are there any exercises for my shoulders so I don't destroy them on the next trip?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

theHUNGERian posted:

What exercises should I be doing that help my knees? I swim 5 days a week, but on my trip to San Gorgonio the most annoying thing was the knee pain on the way down.

The second most annoying thing was shoulder pain. I was wearing a regular Eastpak backpack, and perhaps a more appropriate hiking backpack would have been smarter. Still, are there any exercises for my shoulders so I don't destroy them on the next trip?

The only thing that helps build up muscles for steep downhill hiking or running is steep downhill hiking and running. All kinds of exercises can help with climbing up, but going down is all about time on feet doing it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

After I hit like age 27 my knees became trash. Stiffness and soreness after a decent amount of use. I've never been able to make them better even when I was cycling and hiking a lot. I just take a lot of NSAIDs before and after. Probably not what you want to hear but that's my experience.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ShaneB posted:

After I hit like age 27 my knees became trash. Stiffness and soreness after a decent amount of use. I've never been able to make them better even when I was cycling and hiking a lot. I just take a lot of NSAIDs before and after. Probably not what you want to hear but that's my experience.

I want to hear the truth, so this is good.

I'm 34 now. I used to jog 4x a week, 10k per jog. But one week to the next I developed knee pain and so I switched to swimming.

The reason I am asking all this is because I am signed up for a mountaineering seminar in Alaska, with the hope that I get a good feeling of what it would require to climb Denali. If I like the seminar, I will sign up for the Denali climb the year after. The trip to San Gorgonio was a dress rehearsal to see if my swimming routine was enough to keep me in shape. The hike was brutal, and on the way down I was convinced that the mountaineering seminar would be suicidal. However, after a night of sleep, I was already doubling down on the seminar. "Gorgonio was not as much fun because the views were obstructed by the trees. There was no snow and you love snow. Alaska will be different." But I couldn't ignore the knee and shoulder pain.

I'll try to add more uphill/downhill exercises and see how things progress. Fortunately I live on top of a hill, so I can exercise in my literal backyard.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The best thing for garbage knees is using poles. I don’t know how people go without them. Try them out and see the light!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

The best thing for garbage knees is using poles. I don’t know how people go without them. Try them out and see the light!

I believe you, but can you elaborate why they help so much?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Poles definitely help me a little but I also was a little surprised that they weren't a miracle. :(

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Was just about to post the same. My knees sometimes hurt on the downhill portion of long steep hikes. Using poles definitely makes a difference. I carry them with me on any hike involving decent climbing now, just in case I start to feel that telltale tightness behind my knee that (for me) comes before actual pain.

If I was smart I'd use them preemptively every time, including on the uphill well before any pain. I'm not always smart, though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Just saw this. If anyone who wears a true XL needs an awesome mid weight later, get this:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/deviator-jacket-insulated-for-men~p~200fh/

I love mine.

"True XL" meaning like maybe 6 foot or over 190lbs. My L fits me perfectly, snugly, at 5-10 190 with a like 42" chest.

I am fat so I picked one up, thanks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

theHUNGERian posted:

I believe you, but can you elaborate why they help so much?

They take some of the load off your knees/legs and make you more stable. They give you better traction going up and down. I've got some knee history from hockey but I hike, backpack and mountaineer and unless its a particularly brutal day my knees feel mostly fine with poles. Going down is definitely the hardest part usually because it repeatedly pounds the meniscus (the cushioning in your knee) which a lot of us have probably already damaged or worn out.

If they only help redistribute 5% of the load each foot step, that adds up over the course of the hike.

Costco carbon flick lock poles made by cascade mountain tech. They are $30 in store or 40 on Amazon and great for seeing if poles help. I hated the idea but hated knee issues keeping me from things I love e even more. Once I tried the poles I was hooked.

Another thing to consider is weight. I hate being a weight weenie but less weight means less impact on your knees. This means body weight (if you're heavy), pack weight, and shoe weight. Taking 50k steps with 3lbs of boots vs 1.5 lbs trail runners add up over 15 miles etc. There's no getting around having to wear heavy Mountaineering boots though. If your legs are getting tired you tend to take clumsy, heavier steps.

I would say just increase your overall fitness. There are exercises to strengthen the muscles in your legs which will support your knees better. Swimming is great cardio but work on your lower body as well. Squats, mountain climbers, lunges, step ups/stairs, resistance band exercises, hip flexors and most importantly glute exercises ...

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Verman posted:

They take some of the load off your knees/legs and make you more stable. They give you better traction going up and down. I've got some knee history from hockey but I hike, backpack and mountaineer and unless its a particularly brutal day my knees feel mostly fine with poles. Going down is definitely the hardest part usually because it repeatedly pounds the meniscus (the cushioning in your knee) which a lot of us have probably already damaged or worn out.

If they only help redistribute 5% of the load each foot step, that adds up over the course of the hike.

Costco carbon flick lock poles made by cascade mountain tech. They are $30 in store or 40 on Amazon and great for seeing if poles help. I hated the idea but hated knee issues keeping me from things I love e even more. Once I tried the poles I was hooked.

Another thing to consider is weight. I hate being a weight weenie but less weight means less impact on your knees. This means body weight (if you're heavy), pack weight, and shoe weight. Taking 50k steps with 3lbs of boots vs 1.5 lbs trail runners add up over 15 miles etc. There's no getting around having to wear heavy Mountaineering boots though. If your legs are getting tired you tend to take clumsy, heavier steps.

I would say just increase your overall fitness. There are exercises to strengthen the muscles in your legs which will support your knees better. Swimming is great cardio but work on your lower body as well. Squats, mountain climbers, lunges, step ups/stairs, resistance band exercises, hip flexors and most importantly glute exercises ...

Got it thanks. I was actually very low on weight with trail runners, 4 L of water and two extra layers of clothing in my backpack. And I am 155 lbs. I'll add the exercises to my routine and try the hike again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

Got it thanks. I was actually very low on weight with trail runners, 4 L of water and two extra layers of clothing in my backpack. And I am 155 lbs. I'll add the exercises to my routine and try the hike again.

4L of water is a crap ton. How long was your planned hike, for how many people?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ShaneB posted:

4L is not a ton for dayhiking San Gorgonio (nearly 6k elevation gain/loss and ~17 miles)

Echoing the other posters saying use trekking poles (or pole) to save your knees on the downhills.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Disagree. I was planning on spending a full 12 hours on the hike and it ended up being just 11 hours. While I could have refueled on the way, I just prefer tap water. And I ended up consuming all of it during the hike, and I really should have carried another liter for emergency, because I was rationing the last liter.

Alright, what about my shoulder pain? Was it a case of not being used to carrying that much or was my backpack crap? I thought about getting some kind of padding material so the weight gets distributed along a bigger section than the narrow strap of my non-hiking backpack but I couldn't find anything.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

Disagree. I was planning on spending a full 12 hours on the hike and it ended up being just 11 hours. While I could have refueled on the way, I just prefer tap water. And I ended up consuming all of it during the hike, and I really should have carried another liter for emergency, because I was rationing the last liter.

Alright, what about my shoulder pain? Was it a case of not being used to carrying that much or was my backpack crap? I thought about getting some kind of padding material so the weight gets distributed along a bigger section than the narrow strap of my non-hiking backpack but I couldn't find anything.

I wasn't saying it was too much. Just seemed like a lot so I was curious!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

theHUNGERian posted:

What kind of pack and how much did it weigh? Too much weight in the wrong pack can suck. Carrying 20 lbs in a jan sport backpack can feel worse than 30lbs in a framed pack with a hip belt. Something with some internal frame system and a hip belt to distribute the weight off your shoulders and to your hips will make a huge difference especially for an all day trip with 15lbs or more. More and more small daypacks are featuring hip belts and internal support. Poles can help with the shoulder pain too as it forces you to move your arms more.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I wasn't saying it was too much. Just seemed like a lot so I was curious!

No worries. And you are right, it is a lot.

Verman posted:

What kind of pack and how much did it weigh? Too much weight in the wrong pack can suck. Carrying 20 lbs in a jan sport backpack can feel worse than 30lbs in a framed pack with a hip belt. Something with some internal frame system and a hip belt to distribute the weight off your shoulders and to your hips will make a huge difference especially for an all day trip with 15lbs or more. More and more small daypacks are featuring hip belts and internal support. Poles can help with the shoulder pain too as it forces you to move your arms more.

It was the most basic Eastpak backpack, so I am glad my pain was not caused by being out of shape.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If the pack is flapping about a bit or not cinched up well it can either cause you to be off balance or the contents can add extra force to each step. Also the way you land on each step going downhill can have a big difference - I have had slight knee problems for a while (and am now confined to the couch having actually broken it) and found that landing on a slightly bent leg with muscles tensed helped take some of the force off the knee internal bits. Ultimately though I just had to accept that some of the younger guys were just able to go faster than me downhill.

I actually just got a new pack a few weeks back, it's great and it's the larger version of this. Really well designed and lightweight. The easy close lid and side access are awesome.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/ascensionist-climbing-pack-30-liters/47997.html?dwvar_47997_color=INBK

(actually mine is the Descensionist 40L but w/e)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've known how well a waist belt worked on my larger packs, but my wife and I didn't have a proper little day pack for smaller hikes. We used her old small normal backpack once and my shoulders felt like poo poo. Then we got a small REI daypack with a thin waist and chest strap and I was really surprised how well it worked. Keep the weight on your hips for sure.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thank you for all the comments re: backpack. I had one on my to buy list, but I didn't realize it had benefits besides simply being larger.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bottom Liner posted:

Finally catching up on my photo backlog from Utah
Love the photos. Are you shooting on film?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hello I live in Sacramento, CA (don't know if group lists are still updated), would love to gooncamp at any ability level.

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 9, 2018

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Are we still doing goontrips? I'm down, but I live in Utah. Anyone in or near the vicinity of Utah is welcome to tag along for a ballsy experience of climbing all the 13000 foot peaks in Utah next summer. I'm also down for Wyoming or Idaho adventures.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Not sure if anyone in here's interested, but I have a brand new Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody that I intended to use for hiking this fall- received this as a gift but unfortunately fits too tight with my layers. It's brand new with tags and the color looks pretty great in person.

- Condition: new with tags
- Color: smolder blue
- Size: men's small
- Price: $155 shipped

https://i.imgur.com/E8rTAhY.jpg

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 12, 2018

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

theHUNGERian posted:

I have high arches so usually it's me needing insoles to support those. I found this out by running in some poo poo shoes, getting fitted and getting some insoles with the new shoes. You said you used to jog so maybe get your feet scanned somewhere so they can tell you? Your feet might have changed over the years. Nice trekking poles are expensive, and insoles can be half that. Although you might even need both!

Also stretch your calves!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

theHUNGERian posted:

For knee pain, glute exercises. I've had a lovely left knee for a few years now and it's been getting significantly better in the last few months after seeing a good physiotherapist. Gotta squeeze those cheeks. stand up straight and lift one leg up so your thigh is 90 degrees to your hip while squeezing the opposite glute, hold for 5 seconds. Repeat with other leg and glute. Do this 5 times a day to start with. Also, do 3 sets of 8 to 10 bodyweight squats a day as well. Make sure you look up the correct technique for this though.

As well as this, make sure you're stretching your quads, hams and hip flexors every day. It won't work unless you do both the strengthening exercises AND the stretching, trust me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Aphex- posted:

For knee pain, glute exercises. I've had a lovely left knee for a few years now and it's been getting significantly better in the last few months after seeing a good physiotherapist. Gotta squeeze those cheeks. stand up straight and lift one leg up so your thigh is 90 degrees to your hip while squeezing the opposite glute, hold for 5 seconds. Repeat with other leg and glute. Do this 5 times a day to start with. Also, do 3 sets of 8 to 10 bodyweight squats a day as well. Make sure you look up the correct technique for this though.

As well as this, make sure you're stretching your quads, hams and hip flexors every day. It won't work unless you do both the strengthening exercises AND the stretching, trust me.

What stretches did you use for this. I absolutely have to get my lower body flexibility in order.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ShaneB posted:

What stretches did you use for this. I absolutely have to get my lower body flexibility in order.

Yoga for real will open up your flexibility.

[url] https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8[/url]

I also do that as a warmup before working out. Even if you’re not doing a workout just doing that every day will loosen you up a good amount. You could also get a stretch strap and after your warm do some static stretching.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Always
Be
C doing squats.

Also I recently learned the joy of tippy birds (basically a single leg RDL), which are a good time.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ShaneB posted:

A good yoga routine would be ideal, but my physiotherapist basically recommended doing as much as you are willing to do everyday, but do that everyday. They said that a lot of routines are so long that people just give up doing them after a week or two and never see any benefit.

Good ones are the couch stretch for quads, hurdler stretch for hamstrings and pigeon pose for hips. There's loads of info online on how to do them properly. My physio told me to do 3 sets for each stretch, holding the pose for 30 seconds per leg. Just make sure to be consistent with them and do them every day, you'll notice the benefits soon enough.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hotel Kpro posted:

Are we still doing goontrips? I'm down, but I live in Utah. Anyone in or near the vicinity of Utah is welcome to tag along for a ballsy experience of climbing all the 13000 foot peaks in Utah next summer. I'm also down for Wyoming or Idaho adventures.

You doing those in one go? I quick-glanced a map and it seems all those 13k+ peaks are on the north-west border unless I'm misreading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Any goons hiking in the North / Central Cascades recently?