Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Wonderful. Just what I wanted, a third cable to swap on my power brick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

There isn't as much of scramble to buy new ipads as there is for iPhones right? I can just walk in to an apple store to get one no biggy right

Not really for iPads. But the keyboard and/or the pencil will probably be scarce. I remember the 1st pencil was almost impossible to find in stores and had a lead time of about 3 weeks or so for ordering if you didn't order it when it was announced.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Proteus Jones posted:

Not really for iPads. But the keyboard and/or the pencil will probably be scarce. I remember the 1st pencil was almost impossible to find in stores and had a lead time of about 3 weeks or so for ordering if you didn't order it when it was announced.

Hopefully it won’t be that bad because it’s just a refreshed pencil and not an entirely new accessory.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lame

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Love the new form factor.

I’ll wait until it eventually trickles down to the poverty iPad.

It won’t.

eames
May 9, 2009

10Gbit/s USB-C 3.1gen2 port and no mass storage support, classic apple.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The new Pros just provide the final signposts for where Apple is headed with its hardware.

It comes bundled with a USB-C power adapter (18W). You know next year's iPhones will likely come with that as well (or something like it). It also means you could, theoretically, charge your MacBook, iPhone, and iPad with the same power adapter. (The Apple Store website lists the 40W power adapter as being key to quick charging your iPad).

I really hope they push user accounts with iOS 13 next year. I could easily see myself sharing an iPad with my spouse and with FaceID, especially with hiding notifications/updates until you unlock the device. This year was supposed to see a lot of improvements on the iPad side (and given what we've seen today, that would've made sense). I suspect we'll see most of those software updates next year.

It would make less sense for profiles on a phone but for a tablet marketed as a "different" computer, it'd be huge.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

God it would be so dope to have the iPad automatically unlock to the correct profile based on whose face it scans

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the new keyboard folio's design apparently not letting you readjust it so that it's only a stand like the old smart keyboard is able to

EDIT: Also no color variations other than gray

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love that Apple returned to flat sides. Now only if they did the same with the iPhone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ChocNitty posted:

I love that Apple returned to flat sides. Now only if they did the same with the iPhone.

Glad I decided to wait for the iPhone 11

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thwomp posted:

I really hope they push user accounts with iOS 13 next year. I could easily see myself sharing an iPad with my spouse and with FaceID, especially with hiding notifications/updates until you unlock the device. This year was supposed to see a lot of improvements on the iPad side (and given what we've seen today, that would've made sense). I suspect we'll see most of those software updates next year.

Sharing devices like that sort of exists but it's only in edu and enterprise environtments.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rolo posted:

Glad I decided to wait for the iPhone 11

iPhone XS style with iPhone 4 sides would be hot as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I see you are a man of culture and taste as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just realized the iPad thread is relevant again.

$950 for a 64GB 11” cellular iPad is steep. I’m going to get it, but man Apple did not disappoint with the price hike.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

$950 for a 64GB 11” cellular iPad is steep. I’m going to get it, but man Apple did not disappoint with the price hike.
Honestly I was not expecting the 12.9" to start anywhere close to 1000. It's surprisingly low for, you know, Apple.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Duckman2008 posted:

Welcome to the new normal, Flagship devices at flagship prices and a 2nd tier for plebes. At least the plain iPad and iPhone XR aren't iPhone 5C tier garbage.

I was tempted for a moment to grab the new Air but went with the new 12.9. I'm still rocking the 1st generation and haven't noticed any slowness whatsoever, but it's going to fund a decent chunk of this upgrade so why not?

Any good sources of USB-A to USB-C cables to sprinkle around the house?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The iPhone 5c was awesome.

Also AmazonBasic cords have served me well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

The iPhone 5c was awesome.

I mean, not really. It was just an iPhone 5 with colors. So to the previous posters point, the XR is an equivalent in power to the XS, while the 5C was def a year behind the 5S when it came out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the folios aren’t actually cases? They’re literally just little covers for the front and back while the sides lay bare? Holy gently caress

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TraderStav posted:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So the folios aren’t actually cases? They’re literally just little covers for the front and back while the sides lay bare? Holy gently caress

Thats how the old one worked and it worked fine.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I see you are a man of culture and taste as well.

This is why I fixed my iPhone 6S+ battery, so I can last till next fall. Buying this iPad and new laptop at some point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Thats how the old one worked and it worked fine.

I mean, my iPad Pro 2016 has a case and a Smart Cover, while the folio keyboard doesn’t look like it permits cases along with the folio? I hope I’m wrong

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bring back the Smart Case. I had one on my Air 2 and it was awesome.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Calaveron posted:

The 12.9 one is also a hundred bones.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I want the Logitech skim combo keyboard to come out for this new guy. I wonder how long they will take to update?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wired: The entry level iPad Pro 11" has an 8 core processor

Tired: Only the 1Tb storage option model gets 6Gb of RAM

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The new iPads look tasty af. First the first time ever I’m even considering the big one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeast posted:

Wired: The entry level iPad Pro 11" has an 8 core processor

Tired: Only the 1Tb storage option model gets 6Gb of RAM

This really is a very big deal (well, for iPad bullshit which is the exact opposite of a big deal), because this is the first time performance changes have been tied to the storage option. Really the 1TB option isn't an iPad Pro its an iPad Pro Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does the old Apple Pencil work on the new Pros?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Does the old Apple Pencil work on the new Pros?

The Apple Pencils are not compatible. The new one doesn't work with the old iPad and the old Pencil doesn't work with the new iPad.

It sucks for people with old iPads, but honestly if you were buying a new one you'd be silly not to buy the new Pencil since it's so much better.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The old pencils are lightning to charge and the new pros have no such ports. Granted, they could have made it work via dongle.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

The old pencils are lightning to charge and the new pros have no such ports. Granted, they could have made it work via dongle.

I’m envisioning a USB C to lightning dongle + headphone jack with headphones plugged in and an Apple Pencil plugged into the adapter part.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Apple Pencils are not compatible. The new one doesn't work with the old iPad and the old Pencil doesn't work with the new iPad.

It sucks for people with old iPads, but honestly if you were buying a new one you'd be silly not to buy the new Pencil since it's so much better.

Wait, so what does that mean for the bog-standard iPad they released this summer?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait, so what does that mean for the bog-standard iPad they released this summer?

It continues to use the old Apple Pencil which Apple will keep making.

They're also keeping the old 10.5" Pro in the lineup which also needs the old Apple Pencil.

So- not much.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why for some reason I thought the apple pencil was bundled with the new ipad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeast posted:

It continues to use the old Apple Pencil which Apple will keep making.

They're also keeping the old 10.5" Pro in the lineup which also needs the old Apple Pencil.

So- not much.

Did they drop the price on the old Pencil at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did they drop the price on the old Pencil at least?

No the new one is just more expensive. Same with the new folio keyboard.