Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When did that happen? :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
nm

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 25, 2018

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, that's as good a reason as any and better than some.

In 2018 I got METAL WORLD— my tabletop RPG— into a state ready for playtesting, which I'm going to do more of next month. In fact, its Kickstarter is pretty much only waiting on me being able to afford even a meager supply of promotional art, which may happen next month depending on bills. My daughter's decided to get on the Student Council at her middle school. Things are fairly good for me, even if money is tight. However, I'm a hobbit in the Shire. That is to say, I'm a straight, cisgendered white guy. The monstrosities outside my relatively peaceful bubble aren't hitting me like they are so many others.

The Kavanaugh confirmation made me realize something needs to be done with our Senate representation in that Mike Rounds is a spineless worm who serves only as a mouthpiece for the RNC. I've decided that come 2020 I'll present myself as a candidate for Rounds's Senate seat so he doesn't go unchallenged like John Thune did when he last ran for reelection. We need people who will stand up to what's going on. I can't just stay in the Shire. Someone needs to go to Mordor and if I have to be the one to attempt the journey to protect the vulnerable, I will.

I'll vote for you fellow South Dakota goon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which? Gabby's thing was in the last half of All New Wolverine, Jean Grey killed a planet of Broccoli people back in the 80's

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dumb question - who is Gabby?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

W.T. Fits posted:

Laura Kinney's clone, Laura Kinney is a clone of Logan (The first wolverine) You should read All New Wolverine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gabby is the cloned "little sister" of Laura Kinney (X-23), invented in Tom Taylor's all new wolverine, and the best character created in the last few years by marvel other than Gwenpool

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Squirrel Girl giving her an actual, grumpy wolverine because she thought Gabby could talk to her animal namesake is the best. Because why would you be named after an animal if you can’t talk to them?

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

The third Arc of All New Wolverine. They went to space due to a virus targeting them showing up in New York. In the process Gabby gets infected by a brood queen. It does not go well for the brood queen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Basically in All New Wolverine Laura (X-23) learns that an evil company was creating clones of her who don't feel pain but don't have any of her powers. Gabby was the youngest and also it turns out that she did get the powers. She moves in with Laura and goes on adventures with her.

Also Daken gives her the superhero name Honey Badger.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

insertdumbnamehere posted:

I'll vote for you fellow South Dakota goon.

Whereabouts are you?

Skwirl posted:

Which? Gabby's thing was in the last half of All New Wolverine, Jean Grey killed a planet of Broccoli people back in the 80's

Wait, these aren't the same ones from Nextwave, are they?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Whereabouts are you?

Wait, these aren't the same ones from Nextwave, are they?

Are you talking about the broccoli people? Because those would have to be different broccoli people, like I said Jean Grey killed an entire planet of broccoli people. Maybe some of them got here before the genocide?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No they're completely different broccoli people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's clearly more than one kind of broccoli people you racists.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One's space broccoli the other is mutant earth broccoli jeez

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Are you talking about the broccoli people? Because those would have to be different broccoli people, like I said Jean Grey killed an entire planet of broccoli people. Maybe some of them got here before the genocide?

The broccoli people are the ones that appeared in avengers 4 and is Medusa

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The broccoli people Jean killed just look like broccoli. The broccoli people from Nextwave are actually made from broccoli.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The broccoli people Jean killed just look like broccoli. The broccoli people from Nextwave are actually made from broccoli.

I love this godforsaken subforum.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

muscles like this! posted:

Basically in All New Wolverine Laura (X-23) learns that an evil company was creating clones of her who don't feel pain but don't have any of her powers. Gabby was the youngest and also it turns out that she did get the powers. She moves in with Laura and goes on adventures with her.

Also Daken gives her the superhero name Honey Badger.

And Gabby becomes best friends with Deadpool.

And it's the best thing ever, just look at them :3:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I love this so much

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's stuff like that that makes the end of Deadpool's last run all the more bitter*

*and honestly why I don't actively follow modern Marvel these days for the most part, too much bitter bleakness for my liking in Superhero fiction

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you don't want bitterness and bleakness Deadpool is the wrong book to read.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, Deadpool is essentially Weapon Plus x Charlie Brown; even when things go right for him, he finds a way to gently caress them up down the line.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Deadpool is superhero Bojack.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
TBF I didn't like Old Lady Laura

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Goddamn it, how did this many people reply without pointing out that Jean did not kill broccoli people.

She killed asparagus people. You guys probably think all Kirby aliens look alike.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mikl posted:

And Gabby becomes best friends with Deadpool.

And it's the best thing ever, just look at them :3:

I asked this before, but it was just in the background. Why do they have a pelican statue?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

If you don't want bitterness and bleakness Deadpool is the wrong book to read.

Yeah, but the last run's end really did go too far with it. Duggan had a good mix of happy and sad stuff happening to Deadpool, but once Secret Empire kicked in, it was just a year of Deadpool being poo poo on over and over with no catharsis. Just bleakness laced with comedy that ends with "okay, time to set things back to default for the next writer."

The long, drawn-out clean-up of Duggan is a funny contrast to how abrupt the ending of Daniel Way's run was. Just 1-2 pages of Evil Deadpool (ugh) showing up to say he's alive and Deadpool's healing factor is back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I asked this before, but it was just in the background. Why do they have a pelican statue?

that pelican statue is a member of the family, damnit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not sure there's a story behind it, a quick look shows it in the background of issue 8, it doesn't seem to be in any of the apartment shots in issue 7 (a very valuable collector's edition because it features the origin of Jonathan the actual wolverine). The previous six issues are the initial arc with her clones and the introduction of Gabby, I haven't reread those in awhile because it's a depressing story but I don't remember them spending much time in Laura's apartment during it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure there's a story behind it, a quick look shows it in the background of issue 8, it doesn't seem to be in any of the apartment shots in issue 7 (a very valuable collector's edition because it features the origin of Jonathan the actual wolverine). The previous six issues are the initial arc with her clones and the introduction of Gabby, I haven't reread those in awhile because it's a depressing story but I don't remember them spending much time in Laura's apartment during it.

Excuse me, goon sir, but as you can see below, it was clearly in place in Issue 2:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, so it was probably Logan's then. I don't see Laura spending much time decorating, and I really don't see her picking that up at a second hand store or whatever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't really see Logan spending much time decorating, either, so it was probably a gift from an acquaintance that he just never bothered to throw out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't really see Logan spending much time decorating, either, so it was probably a gift from an acquaintance that he just never bothered to throw out.

It was probably a gag gift from Nightcrawler or something

Alternatively, it is an actual stuffed pelican that he bagged while hunting with Ernest Hemingway

(Wolverine hung out with Ernest Hemingway, look it up)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Never ask Logan about the stuffed pelican. He will just grow quiet and go brood with a twelve pack while looking at a picture in his wallet

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was probably a gag gift from Nightcrawler or something

Alternatively, it is an actual stuffed pelican that he bagged while hunting with Ernest Hemingway

(Wolverine hung out with Ernest Hemingway, look it up)

It's not a stuffed pelican.

It's just a pelican.

A really taciturn pelican.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Phylodox posted:

It's not a stuffed pelican.

It's just a pelican.

A really taciturn pelican.

It's pretending to be stuffed so Jonathan doesn't eat it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E's pinin' for the fjords

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Whereabouts are you?

Rapid City.

And +1 to Gabby being the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Rapid City.

And +1 to Gabby being the best.

I think Gabby's the best and all I've seen of her has been via BSS.