Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
there were lots of doubters, but in the end todd howard proved to most everyone that fallout 76 is a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
lol I'm down to the last .05 GB of download and slowing at a rate that has kept it saying 30 seconds remaining for 30 seconds. Super stoked for it to delete itself when it finishes

e: finished as I finished posting, let's see what happens when "installing" is done!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Anybody give this a go on PS4 pro? Bethesda has a perfect track record of loving up their games on PlayStation hardware so I’m curious if the curse has struck again but I won’t be able to try it myself until this weekend.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If any goons are playing on PC, feel free to invite me to your server, character name GWBBQ

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol the preload failed and my attempt to sync deleted all of the files so the only answer is to re-download 50 gigs. I broke the BETA with a ragequit-tier bug by 7:01. :hellyeah:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

lol I'm down to the last .05 GB of download and slowing at a rate that has kept it saying 30 seconds remaining for 30 seconds. Super stoked for it to delete itself when it finishes

e: finished as I finished posting, let's see what happens when "installing" is done!

"Uninstalling. You'll thank us later."

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im so happy I had to go to a hospital to deal with an abscess instead of troubleshooting the first beta. Ill see yall at 11am on a thursday.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it'll be an alpha by the time it's done

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

J-Spot posted:

Anybody give this a go on PS4 pro? Bethesda has a perfect track record of loving up their games on PlayStation hardware so I’m curious if the curse has struck again but I won’t be able to try it myself until this weekend.

Can’t even log into the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game plays like a giant turd. And this is the story, The flying dragon monster is called the scorchbeast, it created the scorched.

I went to the overseer's camp then ran in the opposite way of the next waypoint and then after 15 minutes I finally did not see any other players.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Akion posted:

"Uninstalling. You'll thank us later."

It's on an SSD and at 50% installed and just sort of hanging out there now so I'm anticipating you're correct

e: lol with 0 i/o on that drive right now too

e2: reset itself to 4% but at least it's ticking up again?

Bethesda: if you're having problems open a ticket here:

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 31, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks to the brave souls attempting to play an online Bethesda beta with no voice chat limitations

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
fuckin' lol I got sick of the install status resetting itself so I just launched it out of the application directory and it worked

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

How the hell do I use voice chat?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
because I have a controller on my computer (that I don't want to use) I have to use the controller to change to keyboard controls whenever the game launches

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Glenn Quebec posted:

As an American who lives on the best coast, I'll be enjoying my 4 hours of F76.

Glenn Quebec posted:

this beta preload deletion!!!! hoisted by my own petard. I owe this thread an apology. I am sorry.
Apology accepted.:)

GWBBQ posted:

Thread advice seems to be: don't.

Eiba posted:

Oh god I'm playing the game now and there's two twich streamers making rape jokes and racist jokes during the character creator and there's no loving way to turn it off.

This is literally the most unpleasant experience I have ever had in a game ever. How the gently caress do I mute people? This is literally nauseating.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

fuckin' lol I got sick of the install status resetting itself so I just launched it out of the application directory and it worked

how did you do this/had your install bar actually fill before this happened?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Frog Act posted:

Thanks to the brave souls attempting to play an online Bethesda beta with no voice chat limitations

I was eating dinner and talking on discord about disgaea 5. Dinner came with a bag of chips too, ate those for like 15m. GL internet people.

GWBBQ posted:

The question is most likely how not to use voice chat as its an always on thing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I seem to be on a server with new people who aren't assholes, I'll leave it on for now but almost certainly regret it soon.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how did you do this/had your install bar actually fill before this happened?

it had not filled, was stalled at 14% after restarting itself a bunch. I just went to the install directory, double clicked the application, and off it went. The launcher status changed from "installing" to "running". I've been through restarting it a couple of times now, launch from the launcher after that, changing graphics/controls settings. just post character creation now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Saladin Rising posted:

Apology accepted.:)

Thread advice seems to be: don't.

Seriously, I was worse than that. I was super cunty because I felt like people were being annoyingly reactionary.

Welp.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
crutchley's animations playing at 5ps, game running around 60ish. ok, sure

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I seem to be on a server with new people who aren't assholes, I'll leave it on for now but almost certainly regret it soon.

Fallout 76: almost certainly regret it soon.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am 80% convinced that everybody's preload was deleted on purpose so they could test put their game files upload. Seems hella expensive to do that tho.

Getting decent speed. Between 10 and 15 mb/s. Estimated 40 minutes. Gonna bong rip and maybe character create.

Beta tested. Why am I so attracted to this dumb gold rush experience. This is altogether a much better beta than Albion Online or Acheage. But it is still a lovely way to spend an afternoon. This is like when I used to get weed from a from gas station employee in Utah, then went to a brick and morter dispensary in California. It is nicer, more comfortable, and higher quality. But I am still just buying drugs.

Wonder what Daytripper boosts?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Todd did tell you to expect spectacular bugs. It's not his fault you thought that just meant the game would break~

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

corn in the bible posted:

Todd did tell you to expect spectacular bugs. It's not his fault you thought that just meant the game would break~

Saying the game broke is giving it too much credit. The launcher is broke.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

NeurosisHead posted:

because I have a controller on my computer (that I don't want to use) I have to use the controller to change to keyboard controls whenever the game launches

I'd bet this is an attempt at an automated port of the XBox reference version to PC.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I kind of like how they use really aggressive DOF to hide the LOD

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

I kind of like how they use really aggressive DOF to hide the LOD
Yeah, the DOF would be awesome with eye tracking, but not as is.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
My initial install crapped out about 25% of the way, so I paused it, rebooted, and it continued at a faster speed. Once it was done, I hopped into the beta only to find a few of the textures not loaded in, which meant they continued the installation in a separate folder. Lovely. I soldiered on for two hours before it became annoying.

Anyway, my biggest peeve was not being able to use the same station that someone was animating towards. Like, I don't need my character to perform an animation to do something; just let me do it! You literally solved this problem with terminals!

Other than that, it's an MMO-rear end MMO that can use a lot of QoL changes ASAP.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I kind of think I might cancel my pre-order for this. Enormous Fallout fan who pre-ordered the big gently caress you helmet edition but it's just not that fun imo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if only there were some solid digital distribution platform that didn't randomly delete your poo poo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I kind of think I might cancel my pre-order for this. Enormous Fallout fan who pre-ordered the big gently caress you helmet edition but it's just not that fun imo.

It is literally just wander around and loot buildings. At least its some new buildings?

You have destiny type events to look forward to also where there isn't any thing to do after you kill a wave for 2m while you wait for the next batch of ghouls to spawn. Then some janky robot flies in and drops a box with junk in it for you.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 31, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

eonwe posted:

if only there were some solid digital distribution platform that didn't randomly delete your poo poo

It was definitely a nonrandom deletion of my poo poo. That was a clobber.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Seriously, I was worse than that. I was super cunty because I felt like people were being annoyingly reactionary.

Welp.
Wow, I'm legitimately not used to seeing someone apologize for being an rear end in a top hat on the internet. Good on you.

And yeah, we were just being realistic given Bethesda's track record with buggy games, and unfortunately Bethesda has exceeded even that. I'm used to lots of jank inside Bethesda games, but it's new to see the jank spread to the the game launcher itself. I legitimately wonder how many refunds this incident alone will cause.

eonwe posted:

It's amazing, even the no-negativity echo chamber that is the FO:76 subreddit is starting to get pissed off:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9st6gk/hey_bethesda_if_you_are_going_to_be_greedy_and/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9ss6zh/the_countdown_in_the_launcher_was_just_a/
You're losing the crowd Todd, and the game isn't even officially out yet.

quote:

bolxrex:
Weird poo poo happens with steam, but it has the validate game files for that and it usually takes no more than a few minutes to do.

What pisses me off is I had a huge debate with a buddy who isn't buying the game BECAUSE it's not on Steam saying he doesn't need another digital game manager/portal from another company. And i spent a long rear end time refuting his point about that not really being relevant. Foot in my loving mouth.

Motocamperman:

I was on the fence about when to buy. After seeing this mess, I absolutely won't buy until either it is available on Steam or it is decently on sale. No sooner (and I'm pissed about it, I've been playing New Vegas all day to get in the mood for hearing about the PC beta launch)

VAMPHYR3:

Ontop of still no Ultrawide support.

I mean, the resolution works fine when editing the config file, but the UI goes to poo poo.

2018, multi billion dollar studio, one of their biggest IP, full price, yet too lazy to add ultrawide resolutions to the settings and edit the loving UI to work with it.

There is no loving excuse for this, and them saying it'll be added post launch is even worse. This ain't some indie dev studio... how the gently caress can you say you'll add proper resolution support to a full price AAA title after launch?

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 31, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my poo poo actually runs pretty well on my PC so I'm happy at least.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think my biggest concern right now is the navigation controls. It's a weird rear end mix of mouse and keyboard. Sometimes WASD does stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can use the arrows instead or the mouse wheel. Sometimes ESC will take you back, other times it feels like you need to hit Tab. Or you need to hit specific keyboard keys to do things. I was so confused when I tried building things. WASD to move, arrows to move through the menus, mouse clicks rotate the current object, and Z and C (I think) switch through variants.

It really feels like they just tried mapping console controllers haphazardly to the mouse and keyboard.

Maybe Fallout 4 was like that, but I've only played the VR version.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In just under 24 hours, the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. is one of Bethesda's most widely downloaded titles

quote:

"These figures are incredible," Bethesda executive Todd Howard announced during a Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. "D-Day" press conference where the often secretive developer shared candid metrics with the public. "We've got almost twice as many downloads recorded as we do registered B.E.T.A. participants. And I mean, the numbers really don't lie: This has been an unbelievably popular release day game...perhaps one of the most successful Bethesda titles in the past few years."

:toot::toot::toot:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I guess now we know why they deleted people's downloaded files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GI_Clutch posted:

I think my biggest concern right now is the navigation controls. It's a weird rear end mix of mouse and keyboard. Sometimes WASD does stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can use the arrows instead or the mouse wheel. Sometimes ESC will take you back, other times it feels like you need to hit Tab. Or you need to hit specific keyboard keys to do things. I was so confused when I tried building things. WASD to move, arrows to move through the menus, mouse clicks rotate the current object, and Z and C (I think) switch through variants.

It really feels like they just tried mapping console controllers haphazardly to the mouse and keyboard.

Maybe Fallout 4 was like that, but I've only played the VR version.

no, that weird mix of control functions is new and dumb for sure