Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

The article is "Millenials say why they aren't voting" so do you think they interviewed dozens and dozens of young people who gave good as hell answers to the question "Why aren't you voting" and trashed them in favor of the morons

Yes, obviously.

Like did you watch the corporate media coverage of Occupy Wall Street or the Iraq War? Walking past thousands of people with good-as-hell reasons to dislike the neolib economic and neocon foreign policy consensus until they find one idiot in a Guy Fawkes mask and it's "let's see what he has to say, wow what a moron folks, there you have it, it's us or some patchouli-scented hippies rubbing crystals on you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

That's actually a canard I see people bitching about, but it's not true. Democrats are overwhelmingly campaigning on health care and are barely mentioning Trump at all.

Right and if you notice there's been a ton of youth vote already in this midterm, but yea some are still distrusting because they have good reason to be.

Again, I'm not saying it's 'fine' I'm saying I get it and I kinda think focusing anger on the voters is really gross when they're mainly reacting to a sick political system

Badger of Basra posted:

drat are Obama and Hillary on the ballot this year

We could have the most democratic system in the world and one single person’s vote would have a very low chance of changing anything so long as elections have more than like 10 voters. If people use this as a reason to not vote, the correct response is not “you’re right, nothing matters”

http://time.com/5438522/2018-midterm-elections-youth-voters/

People aren't 'using this as a reason not to vote' they're pointing out a flaw and saying 'BUT VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHAT' doesn't actually motivate people.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m loling because I just got another volunteer text telling me to vote because I’m a young person.

(I already voted)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Frightening Knight posted:

I’m loling because I just got another volunteer text telling me to vote because I’m a young person.

(I already voted)

did you respond to them that you voted (and/or had you done that before?)

once I told them I voted I haven't gotten one since, though I wasn't getting them daily like others

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

That's actually a canard I see people bitching about, but it's not true. Democrats are overwhelmingly campaigning on health care and are barely mentioning Trump at all.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1042788632409661440

Campaigning on forming a blue ribbon commission to develop a sustainable initiative towards developing bespoke means tested programs to encourage access to affordable healthcare is not "running on healthcare" in any useful sense of the term.

sexpig by night posted:

People aren't 'using this as a reason not to vote' they're pointing out a flaw and saying 'BUT VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHAT' doesn't actually motivate people.

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHAT is also a terrible idea that just enables dipshits like feinstein, doug jones, and joe manchin to continue to goosestep our political system ever rightward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Campaigning on forming a blue ribbon commission to develop a sustainable initiative towards developing bespoke means tested programs to encourage access to affordable healthcare is not "running on healthcare" in any useful sense of the term.

Who's doing that

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

Who's doing that

https://dccc.org/

Does someone have to link the hundred thousand times that baddems have yelled about how UHC, basic labor rights, or a >$10 minimum wage is too utopian to ever happen, and that we need to let the ~real adults in the room~ show us how real politicking is done or what? Because they've been doing it forever, and the past 2 years are no exception.

Because I'm busy watching this extremely dope Jacob Whol meltdown on twitter rn

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like how this thread has DEMS BAD cycle every two weeks or so

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
hard not to when you live in one of ~the flyover states~

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cruz up 10. :fork:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Per Dixie Strategies.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cross your fingers for a change in LV screens or GTFO

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
B- pollster on 538 rankings. ehhhhhhh

Doesn't change anything the voter screens being totally broken was always the only way Beto was ever going to win.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No Safe Word posted:

did you respond to them that you voted (and/or had you done that before?)

once I told them I voted I haven't gotten one since, though I wasn't getting them daily like others

I’ve told like four different volunteers I’ve voted, they all seem to be different organizations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frightening Knight posted:

I’ve told like four different volunteers I’ve voted, they all seem to be different organizations.

The door-knocking system is different from the phone banking system which is different from the text banking system. And for all I know, there might be more than one database for different kinds of phone banking, like they may have you ID'd for voter outreach in one and for volunteer recruitment in another.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I like how this thread has DEMS BAD cycle every two weeks or so

Please we can all agree TDP BAD every day of the week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
can't believe texas dems and leftists would have a low view of the democratic party after all they've done for us

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I've never had any weird dudes with clipboards ask me if I've voted :smith:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally managed to drop by the early voting church and get my vote in today. Feels good to do something at the state level even if he probably won't win.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

As my wife and I were walking out our front door this weekend, a guy on a bike slowed down a bit and asked us if we had voted yet (we have Beto/Lizzie signs in our yard so it's not a huge assumption), and we just sort of instinctively said "Yup, thanks!"

A beat or two later I realized it was actually my state rep, Gene Wu. Not sure if he was really canvassing or what, but he did stop and chat with my neighbor (also sign-havers) right afterwards. He's running virtually unopposed (random Libertarian opponent), so if he was canvassing it'd be either for Dems in general or for a specific candidate, I suppose.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Trabisnikof posted:

Please we can all agree TDP BAD every day of the week.

If they were good they wouldn't be Texas Dems

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Already 3.35M early votes cast in Texas as of yesterdays numbers. 8 days into early voting and that number smashes both the 2014 and 2016 election totals 8 days into early voting, though percentage wise 2016 was higher at 30.6 vs 27.4 right now.

None of that means anything other than this is an amazing turnout for a midterm election.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Already 3.35M early votes cast in Texas as of yesterdays numbers. 8 days into early voting and that number smashes both the 2014 and 2016 election totals 8 days into early voting, though percentage wise 2016 was higher at 30.6 vs 27.4 right now.

None of that means anything other than this is an amazing turnout for a midterm election.

texas has been doing well at heeding our thread titles

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1057097823953567744

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cross posting from cspam

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

finally we will have a water park in austin and not have to drive to schlitterbahn

Funny you say that

https://twitter.com/st_vockrodt/status/1057400840225517573?s=19

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is the same guy who designed a slide that decapitated some kid, yeah?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

This is the same guy who designed a slide that decapitated some kid, yeah?

IIRC, it decapitated the kid of a state legislator who'd championed a bill that deregulated theme park safety

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Holy crap, what reality are we in?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mastajake posted:

Holy crap, what reality are we in?

This seems like a Florida man story tbh

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the owner didnt design it, it was a small two-bit firm that had zero design experience who only made it to say they made the tallest slide for some tv show. I dont remember whose kid it was, but it reads way too much like a hubristic stdh story for it to be the son of a politician like that

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
At the Beto rally. Cake will be playing!

Also which one of you goons is this:

http://imgur.com/a/QVFccE9

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the owner didnt design it, it was a small two-bit firm that had zero design experience who only made it to say they made the tallest slide for some tv show. I dont remember whose kid it was, but it reads way too much like a hubristic stdh story for it to be the son of a politician like that

Dunno if his dad passed that bill but his dad was definitely a state legislator: https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/jeff-henry-verruckt-schlitterbahns-tragic-slide/

And the slide was his idea.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This is fun: Google's polling place locator gives the wrong polling location for my apartment complex. I punched in my street address and got a location in Dallas county, despite being registered in Collin county, because Collin county is where my apartment complex is.

I sent in an error report through the little Google form but who know if the algorithm will get it to somebody to fix it before next week. :eng99:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I used to live in the Bermuda triangle, in North Dallas. It's right in the border of Denton, Dallas, and Collins. It's tough!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
saw this and thought of the texas dems~

https://twitter.com/detachment_red/status/1057428654936993793

But in more important news some chud I managed to piss off by saying Texas already seceded once ended up going through my old posts, undoubtedly saw gavin mcinnes' rear end in a top hat, and then yelled incoherently at the handmade beto sign someone posted in here a page or two back. So that's a win.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine even Texas democrats doing something as cynical and nihilistic as lending at the bare minimum rhetorical credence to destroying the 14th, but perhaps I simply don't have enough imagination.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Kunabomber posted:

I used to live in the Bermuda triangle, in North Dallas. It's right in the border of Denton, Dallas, and Collins. It's tough!

Yep that's exactly where I'm at. I checked a couple other addresses in this zip code and they all came up with a Collin polling place so hopefully the problem is limited to this specific address.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Office Pig posted:

I can't imagine even Texas democrats doing something as cynical and nihilistic as lending at the bare minimum rhetorical credence to destroying the 14th, but perhaps I simply don't have enough imagination.

I'm not really comfortable with the "party of the people" lending even "the bare minimum rhetorical credence" to blood and soil nationalism. And I'd hope that any dems in Texas would be above such a thing as well because I feel like "don't back white supremacist poo poo" is possibly the lowest loving bar. We can do this.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Party Plane Jones posted:

texas has been doing well at heeding our thread titles

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1057097823953567744

I just realized there is a less than zero chance of Vadez being Gov and I am afraid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

SirKibbles posted:

I just realized there is a less than zero chance of Vadez being Gov and I am afraid

lmfao

c'mon, dude