Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I might finally come back just to play-

UnknownMercenary posted:

It was just as underwhelming as I always expected it to be!

Oh.

Also did that announcement post claim Mercy Hospital is in New York? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

^^ e: I didn't even catch that lol

Well, I mean, they didn't change anything about No Mercy for better or worse.

Vials break. It's still only half-stealthable. The point of no return on the escape is a bit more lenient.

Bring autoshotguns, critzerker and jokers because there are a fuckton of cops that spawn, but mostly manageable.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 31, 2018

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Also did that announcement post claim Mercy Hospital is in New York? :thunk:
It did and the site's world map puts it there too.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Man what the gently caress is going on with Payday's plot since I last checked? Last I remember Bain had disappeared and Locke was maybe sorta a bad guy? Now it turns out that there's probably aliens and poo poo, and Vlad is maybe using nukes to kill them? I don't loving know. Can someone fill me in?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doodmons posted:

Man what the gently caress is going on with Payday's plot since I last checked? Last I remember Bain had disappeared and Locke was maybe sorta a bad guy? Now it turns out that there's probably aliens and poo poo, and Vlad is maybe using nukes to kill them? I don't loving know. Can someone fill me in?

Bain got captured by some bad dudes who are working for Murkywater which is a front I think for some not-Illuminati group called Kataru that's run by the Dentist. He's been hunting for some Ark of the Covenant boxes (he hired us to steal one from the Golden Grin). Anyway he kidnapped Bain because of something related to the Payday 2 Secret and some kind of book? I don't know how this reimagining of No Mercy ties in. Oh, also Murkywater was run by Jiro's son, Kento, who is now dead by Bain's hands after we broke Bain out of prison. Discendo Vox can probably explain better than I can but that's what I got from it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Locke is NOT a smelly fish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Doodmons posted:

wow, um, ok, I'll give it a shot. This is skipping a lot of stuff, but it's still pretty crazy.

First, Locke never actually betrayed us. Bain set up the "betrayal" with Locke to get us out of DC. This was because he realized someone was setting up to take the gang out and was trying to flush them out. In reservoir dogs, mercenaries break into Bain's location and capture him.

It turns out that the kidnappers are Murkywater mercenaries, in service of a secret society called "Kataru". Kataru are like the illuminati on steroids. In ancient times, they were three kings who used to have a macguffin that basically made them omnipotent. One of their servants, a guy named Baldwin, tried to steal it in 1814 and the group crumbled. The macguffin was sealed away, the key was split up among the kings, and they all started angling to steal it from each other. The three kings are basically immortal, superpowered beings, so they've never stopped trying to get the macguffin and become all-powerful.

One of kings is the Dentist. He's our main antagonist- he is still controlling Kataru, and has basically been puppeteering everything we've done until this point, getting us to steal things for him (the box in GGC was his part of the key to the macguffin, and the Diamond is also a part of it, for instance). The Dentist has way more information about the macguffin than anyone else and has been going around destroying or stealing everything that could be used against him. The Dentist used to have Kento (Jiro's son) as the commander of Murkywater, but long story short, Kento's dead now. He also appears to have influence over Gensec, the Garnet Group, and the President.

Another king is the Elephant. He was also angling to get more power, but he was mostly trying to groom Bain to be his agent. Bain probably never wanted that, but oh well. The Dentist manipulated the FBI to arrest The Elephant and steal his box, but we stole it back. Since then he's been feeding us info to go after the Dentist. We still don't trust him.

The last king is the Scribe. He vanished centuries ago after going crazy, but, well, it turns out we know a crazy person- Vlad. Yes, Vlad is an ancient immortal king. We still don't fully know his agenda but he's also trying to help us. He recently left us The Diamond in the safehouse, and he seems to be the original author of the "Guide of Cagliostro."

At this point we've stolen back all three boxes, a weird amulet which we used to open the boxes (revealing some alien mechanical parts that fit into something larger), and received the Diamond back from Vlad. We also rescued Bain from a Murkywater prison, but he's dying from a virus they infected him with. The Dentist is traveling around literally *nuking* ancient sites that used to be associated with Kataru, and it looks like he's been moving most of the stuff he's stolen from those sites to...the White House, which is apparently where the macguffin is sealed.

1600 Penn. That's our next score. It's indicated that what we do there will either save Bain, or end the world.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 31, 2018

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Yes but, what does this have to do with loud goats with condoms full of cocaine rammed up their asses?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

and he seems to be the original author of the "Guide of Cagliostro."
Which, since we recently reminisced about how many ways we accidentally screwed Bain over with a single job, has also just kind of appeared in the safehouse. Trying to touch it with the Diamond makes it a much... simpler(?) read.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Discendo Vox posted:

The last king is the Scribe. He vanished centuries ago after going crazy, but, well, it turns out we know a crazy person- Vlad. Yes, Vlad is an ancient immortal king.

god bless this stupid loving game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EorayMel posted:

Yes but, what does this have to do with loud goats with condoms full of cocaine rammed up their asses?

Everything.

:beck:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Please give us Vlad as a heister already. Every stupid detail about him makes him a better fit for the gang

The white house heist would be perfect if it has all of the gang doing their own thing in different parts of the raid (not necessarily just shooting cops) that has tiny changes in how the heist goes along depending on who the four heisters being played are. My theory for the No Mercy flashback is that the Dentist made the zombie virus or whatever it's rewritten to be, infected some guy to see how it tests, and then had Bain and the gang take the man's blood so that he could more easily reproduce the virus. either way, lol we've been helping the Dentist since the first game, oops

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Unadulterated madness

:sbahj:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What heist had the amulet to open the boxes?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spit on my clit posted:

Please give us Vlad as a heister already. Every stupid detail about him makes him a better fit for the gang

The white house heist would be perfect if it has all of the gang doing their own thing in different parts of the raid (not necessarily just shooting cops) that has tiny changes in how the heist goes along depending on who the four heisters being played are. My theory for the No Mercy flashback is that the Dentist made the zombie virus or whatever it's rewritten to be, infected some guy to see how it tests, and then had Bain and the gang take the man's blood so that he could more easily reproduce the virus. either way, lol we've been helping the Dentist since the first game, oops

Please don't turn into a zombie, Bain. :ohdear:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

Please don't turn into a zombie, Bain. :ohdear:

im assuming whatever macguffin from the white house heist would cure bain's zombieitis, but who knows about kento, whom'st an infected bain murdered

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

It will bring kento back from the dead as well and become the new heister, whose signature weapons are a G11 primary and T/C encore secondary

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EorayMel posted:

G11 primary

dont you loving tease me motherfucker

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

What heist had the amulet to open the boxes?
Brooklyn Bank.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Huh. Okay, that makes sense. So when did we find out what it did? I just remember getting the medallion.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

When the coffers became trophies during the Shacklethorne event and started showing up in the safe house, picking up the medallion and using it on them was just a thing you could suddenly do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, no way any of us were guessing that poo poo in 2013.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The Dentist is traveling around literally *nuking* ancient sites that used to be associated with Kataru, and it looks like he's been moving most of the stuff he's stolen from those sites to...the White House, which is apparently where the macguffin is sealed.

1600 Penn. That's our next score. It's indicated that what we do there will either save Bain, or end the world.

An important thing to note, fluff-wise, is that the little issue of multiple nukes going off around the world has increased global tensions, and the United States is in the military readiness state of DEFCON 2, which means its armed forces are in full readiness and nuclear missiles can be launched at short notice.

It’s quite possible that the next mission may be the last, in multiple ways.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
vlad hiding out in cagliostro's vault suddenly is metacanon

e: also everyone better have a line for pressing the button

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Welp, it looks like I gotta back into this to see how it all ends.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When the pieces are put together, the key is basically The :orb:.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

When the pieces are put together, the key is basically The :orb:.

Basically, yes. We think it's an orrery.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
No gently caress that, its literally gonna be this stupid thing.

We all know it, Vox. Just accept the comedy.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
In recent (in-game) news, Washington DC recently experienced a sudden spike in radiation, causing the White House to be evacuated and ripe for plundering/exciting confrontation.

How convenient.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheObserver posted:

In recent (in-game) news, Washington DC recently experienced a sudden spike in radiation, causing the White House to be evacuated and ripe for plundering/exciting confrontation.

How convenient.

See everyone thought it was gonna be tied to zombies and thus a tie-in to TWD, really it's a tie-in to STALKER: CAPITOL WASTELAND.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s a shame, I was really hoping for an eventual PD3, but I have no idea how they would do that now.

PD3: in space? The police alien opened the wormhole to the elemental planet of cops?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh please they'll just reboot it for payday 3. everyone's back to rookie criminals and it's a new timeline.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

TheObserver posted:

An important thing to note, fluff-wise, is that the little issue of multiple nukes going off around the world has increased global tensions, and the United States is in the military readiness state of DEFCON 2, which means its armed forces are in full readiness and nuclear missiles can be launched at short notice.

Wait wait. Is THAT what happened to the nukes we stole in Meltdown?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it’s The Dentist that has been setting them off and controls Murkywater than those would be ones that we stole from him so he couldn’t use them. If he could get his hands on 8 or whatever it is in one warehouse though we probably didn’t do much.

Come to think of it Payday mixed with Warframe could be pretty cool. Or a disaster. Either one.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
can't wait for scarface, john wick, jacket and ron perlman to cleanse the world in nuclear fire

Also what happened with The Dentist being Ben Franklin? Because I need something to join SCUD in the pantheon of 'evil magic Ben Franklins'.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Huh. I never followed the plot stuff at all. This whole time I assumed it was just a game about robbing banks.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

What an odd assumption. Payday's never been that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Huh. I never followed the plot stuff at all. This whole time I assumed it was just a game about robbing banks.

Uh it's been a game about masks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Help thread, I have a problem. No matter what loadout I use, it never seems quite as fun as a body expertise LMG with GL secondary. I tried an frenzerker OK AA12 / HE judge loadout and it was fun but it sucks having to worry about ammo. I can’t just hold down the trigger into a group of enemies without running around to grab all the ammo they drop.

Related, is it possible to give the RPK better stats than the buzzsaw or M249? I still need the art gallery in ICTV under 4 minutes achievement to get the best stock for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Help thread, I have a problem. No matter what loadout I use, it never seems quite as fun as a body expertise LMG with GL secondary. I tried an frenzerker OK AA12 / HE judge loadout and it was fun but it sucks having to worry about ammo. I can’t just hold down the trigger into a group of enemies without running around to grab all the ammo they drop.

Related, is it possible to give the RPK better stats than the buzzsaw or M249? I still need the art gallery in ICTV under 4 minutes achievement to get the best stock for it.

Toss on crits onto that shotgun build for maximum killing efficiency.

Body Expertise is good but considering how much you can grab for 28 points it's not quite *that* good. It does make LMGs incredibly ammo efficient though if you can combine it with Frenzerker.

The RPK will never have better stats than any of the 80 damage LMGs. Those are overtuned to such a degree that they poo poo on everything that's not an autoshotgun.