Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lambert posted:

I guess now we know why they deleted people's downloaded files.

Lol!

GI_Clutch posted:

I think my biggest concern right now is the navigation controls. It's a weird rear end mix of mouse and keyboard. Sometimes WASD does stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can use the arrows instead or the mouse wheel. Sometimes ESC will take you back, other times it feels like you need to hit Tab. Or you need to hit specific keyboard keys to do things. I was so confused when I tried building things. WASD to move, arrows to move through the menus, mouse clicks rotate the current object, and Z and C (I think) switch through variants.

It really feels like they just tried mapping console controllers haphazardly to the mouse and keyboard.

Maybe Fallout 4 was like that, but I've only played the VR version.

They some how made the building about 100000000000000000% worse to do on the computer.

z and c to select building type.
Mouse wheel to change the variation or type.
up and down arrows to change variation or type.

Moving your base also costs 5 atoms or caps I have no idea what the icon is but its basically just so you cant spam move your camp over and over.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Kinda lovely to limit the hell out of playtime AND break the launder

Almost as if Bethesda is afraid of people actually playing the game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I fuckin called it!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

because I have a controller on my computer (that I don't want to use) I have to use the controller to change to keyboard controls whenever the game launches

good to know this Skyrim era poo poo is still around

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Donovan Trip posted:

Almost as if Bethesda is afraid of people actually playing the game

They rightly should because there isn't alot to do. It's like they took the gunplay isn't exactly the best in fallout 4 and wanted to show everyone that they could make it carry a game on it alone. I killed 5 super mutants, like 3 lvls above me if levels do anything and all I had to do is sit behind a tree.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 31, 2018

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I got got by the loading deletion; I opened up the launcher after work and it said it was decrypting or unpacking or whatever it was at 500kb/s and it would take 20 or so hours; I restarted it and now the game isn't deleted it just is re-downloading it. so thats great.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9stgdq/pc_users_read_this/

quote:

PC USERS READ THIS (self.fo76)

Turn off V-Sync in your Fallout76Prefs.ini in your doucments. I went from 40 fps to 140 fps with an RTX 2080 - i7-8700k. C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout 76

THEN SET TO READ ONLY

EDIT: Change these to disable vysnc

iPresentInterval=1 --- V-Sync with 60 fps lock.

iPresentInterval=2 --- V-Sync with 30 fps lock.

iPresentInterval=0 --- Dis V-Syns, unlim fps.

quote:

420kushirino:
This breaks the physics btw, I'm getting 200 FPS and im running super fast LOL

edit: everyone was downvoting me when i said this was going to be an issue before. as seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

johnson881_:
Jesus Christ they didn't fix that for a multiplayer game? The game has built in speedhacks jesus

freshfishfinderforty:
so, we make a meelee build, go to 200 FPS go melee build and have a 5x attack speed multiplier.

Also applicable to the rate of fire of weapons. less then an hour in and we have our first cheat guys!

theoneandonlybrendan:
Really boggles my mind that this has gone past testing, build in cheats..... great.
They didn't fix the goddamn game engine speed being tied to the framerate. Holy gently caress.:eyepop:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hacking is now a feature. If they add cross platform play, consoles going to get hosed.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 31, 2018

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow, just when you thought the trainwreck couldn't get any worse/better, another train comes crashing in. Just utterly amazing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Reminds me of an old copy of Oregon Trail for DOS I had as a kid - because the length of a 'day' was tied directly to your system clock speed it was nigh impossible to play on any system built after ~1990 since it went blazing fast and you couldn't read or control anything.

Glad Bethesda hasn't figured this poo poo out 25 years later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope I can change fov in that file because holy poo poo the default fov is bad. Atleast they have ultrawide monitor support this time though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tenzarin posted:

I hope I can change fov in that file because holy poo poo the default fov is bad. Atleast they have ultrawide monitor support this time though.

I think the logic is that the human eye can't see more than 60 FoV, so they want to cap it around there so that you don't waste time and effort processing additional FoV.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, it's definitely Fallout 4 multi-player mod edition. Only having a couple of hours to fiddle with it, I can't really say much more than that. It's not bad, but it's not $60 good either. As noted already, there's plenty of "lol gamebryo/bethesda" going on. Maybe wandering past flatwoods in the next BETA session will captivate me more, but for now I'm just seeing some pretty scenery (and for real, I'm impressed with how the DOF hides the LOD, it really makes the visuals pop on screen even if it could be better implemented) and shooting a pipe gun which isn't scratching an itch that playing FO4 again for a few hours can't scratch.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So having played a solid 4.5 hours, this game is the worst thing a game can be.... boring.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kiggles posted:

Making scrounger active serves a few purposes
1) it just makes it active. You are actively scrounging for more poo poo
2) it gives you a baseline so you can see how the perk is actually benefiting you

Disagreeing with the implementation is one thing, but I wouldn't be so critical as to explain this is analogue to a hacked together mod. 76 will have its problems. Let's not be hyperbolic about stuff we just disagree with.

this game is a hacked together piece of poo poo and you paid money for it lol

Saladin Rising posted:

They didn't fix the goddamn game engine speed being tied to the framerate. Holy gently caress.:eyepop:

lmao see?!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really I'm up for anything to not have to play fallout 4 anymore.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I did a radiant quest or some poo poo to get an...armor piece. Which is now tagged as a quest item with no connected quest, sitting in my inventory and I can't do anything about it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i wandered out pretty far east, found the bunker filled with deathclaws, and now i'm a gentried elite with access to the whitesprings bunker or whatever. suck it wastelanders

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I played on the PS4. One crash and one bugged quest, actually better than I expected from Bethesda beta. Echoing that it's... not bad? It's just... not especially thrilling, either. I had a couple moments early on that started getting me into it, but that didn't last the whole slew of hours. I barely saw other people, though, which is the big draw--maybe I'll try to be more sociable during the next playtest...? Eh. It ain't lookin' like sixty bucks yet.

Also, after loading up slightly early and having a fairly smooth ride, lmao that the PC test was such a poo poo show

I was ready to roll in here and see a bunch of "it is boring," instead the building was on fire god drat

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saladin Rising posted:

Lmao of course they fuckin didn't ahaha

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the logic is that the human eye can't see more than 60 FoV, so they want to cap it around there so that you don't waste time and effort processing additional FoV.

Also idk if this is true, my field of view is more than 180 and I'm sure I'm not a mutant

E: yeah, binocular vision is 114 degrees plus another 40 on each side of that for solo eye slash peripheral

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's great because now you can't even use the console to work around the many many many bugs this game will throw at you, you'll have to wait for Bethesda's lightning-fast bugfix team to fix all of these

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got four hours under my belt and I can already see a problem this game will run into. Players seem to be few and far between and, at least, on the server I was on I seemed to be the only player miked up. The others could hear me but they wouldn't speak. This presents a host of problems. The main one being that this sort of feels like a solitary quiet experience. That would work for a single player game but I don't think it will work at all for the multiplayer experience Bethesda claims they want to deliver.

We traded NPCs for NTPCs (NON TALKING PLAYER CHARACTERS).

Did a kinda okay zombie killing event with a team of players but the gunplay itself is terrible. If I wanted zombie rush mode I'd pop in Black Ops for an experience that has guns that actually feel fun shooting.

This will probably be a boring game that I spend a dozen hours in to see all the sights before hopping on another game and forgetting about this.

They also need to work on hitboxes because many of my hits seemed to go right through the ghouls I aimed at even though my reticule turned red to indicate I was indeed aiming correctly. Died once but that seemed to be because the game itself was against me. The monsters provided no real challenge whatsoever.

At least the game is pretty, I guess.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 31, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tenzarin posted:

Really I'm up for anything to not have to play fallout 4 anymore.

Here's the thing: it's definitely still Fallout 4 but with new set dressings and less active storytelling via quests. For at least the first few hours, at least.

Also default voice chat is just open and loving hoooo buddy do you need to turn that poo poo off

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Actually iirc FoV higher than around 90 fucks the engine up too lol, at least it did on previous iterations

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NeurosisHead posted:

Here's the thing: it's definitely still Fallout 4 but with new set dressings and less active storytelling via quests.

Fallout 4 had story telling?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I was nearby somebody that had their mic on and the dude’s wife was yelling at this little kid that was scared to go to bed. :(

Other than that, it was pretty fun for what it was? (on PS4, ftr) but I’m not really sure what it was yet because I spent a lot of time messing around with things I probably should’ve skipped over.

Did some robot killing event and felt like I didn’t get rewarded for it. Not sure what that’s about.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I had a great amount of fun in my 4+ hours, but my buddy who I planned to play with had the game deleted and needing to re-download issue so he wasn't able to play. So some good and some bad.

I didn't run into any major bugs and the game performed great on my system (I7 7700, 32 gigs of ram, GTX 1070)

I only took one picture because I was too busy exploring

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if load times are still tied to the framerate too

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

They also need to work on hitboxes because many of my hits seemed to go right through the ghouls I aimed at even though my reticule turned red to indicate I was indeed aiming correctly. Died once but that seemed to be because the game itself was against me. The monsters provided no real challenge whatsoever.

Given that JuiceBox was complaining that gunshot sounds haven't been syncing up properly on an on/off basis, I'm guessing that's probably a latency/connection/whatever kind of problem.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

deathbagel posted:

I had a great amount of fun in my 4+ hours, but my buddy who I planned to play with had the game deleted and needing to re-download issue so he wasn't able to play. So some good and some bad.

I didn't run into any major bugs and the game performed great on my system (I7 7700, 32 gigs of ram, GTX 1070)

I only took one picture because I was too busy exploring

where did u get the preorder stuff!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, you would go into a vault and kill supermutants. You would then get to hack a terminal where you read 2 paragraphs from a guy who was being eaten by the supermutant you VATSd in the face. Then you examine the meatbag fungshue to really learn about the life patterns of the supermutants you recently murdered.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I played on the PS4. One crash and one bugged quest, actually better than I expected from Bethesda beta. Echoing that it's... not bad? It's just... not especially thrilling, either. I had a couple moments early on that started getting me into it, but that didn't last the whole slew of hours. I barely saw other people, though, which is the big draw--maybe I'll try to be more sociable during the next playtest...? Eh. It ain't lookin' like sixty bucks yet.

Also, after loading up slightly early and having a fairly smooth ride, lmao that the PC test was such a poo poo show

I was ready to roll in here and see a bunch of "it is boring," instead the building was on fire god drat

Similar to my experience. The difference being I was enthralled the entire time. Always a new place to explore, lots of lore all over, stumbled upon a bunch of quests.

Treasure maps are good loot too and events can be fun and hectic.

And the build and weapons/armor modding seems pretty robust.

I had a great time and can't wait until the 1st. Thank PC players for having your game deleted so I can play for 4 hours more. :)

And I was on the ps4. Some fps problems when I think the game was loading something, but never during fights.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, you would go into a vault and kill supermutants. You would then get to hack a terminal where you read 2 paragraphs from a guy who was being eaten by the supermutant you VATSd in the face. Then you examine the meatbag fungshue to really learn about the life patterns of the supermutants you recently murdered.

Well its gonna be really hard to read that terminal now when weedgokuslayer is standing there hitting you.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Saladin Rising posted:

:allears::allears::allears:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Well its gonna be really hard to read that terminal now when weedgokuslayer is standing there hitting you.

Weedgokuslayer is doing me a favor.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Confirmed that I get BETA access on PC despite having canceled my preorder. Plated for a few hours, it was fun but I'm going to have to see a lot more to convince me to decide to order for real. I definitely hit the bug of engine speed being tied to framerate. I ran into a random guy who was being mauled by some creature, I forget what, and talked with him on voice chat and played together for a couple of hours until the server shut down. I'm reassured that big groups of parties working together will be fun (I've always been a fan of co-op over PvP) but random servers with pubbies will probably be miserable.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of FPS, not FOV, FOV is an angle.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tenzarin posted:

I like that using a terminal someone else is using means pulling up the files on your butt ugly pipboy screen.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

where did u get the preorder stuff!

I made it at an armor bench I think... One of the crafting benches, maybe tinker bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

It did, and it was better than 3's. But it was still lacking in several areas of that storytelling.

I mean they were never going to beat New Vegas or the original games, aside maybe from 1, but at least 4 sort of made an effort unlike most of the anemic stuff we got in 3.