Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This is more a follow up to me acting like a rear end a month ago but Fios just offered to reup the promo triple play I was under ($150) as long as I added Showtime for $10/m. Since phone service is a requirement for me due to being in a dead zone, looks like I’m stuck until 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just decided to cut the TV portion from my Comcast contract, going with gigabit internet-only. So, I need to figure out which of these streaming services I want to get.

Right now, I think DirecTV Now makes the most sense. I can get every channel I want except the NFL Network for $40/month, and add HBO for just $5. Hulu is competitive, although losing AMC and adding HBO costing more kinda sucks. Is either of these two services considered notably better than the other in terms of picture quality and service reliability?

Also, I've never actually used a Roku device before. I think I would want a Roku Ultra for the living room where the router is so that I can take advantage of the ethernet port for that TV, and a Roku Streaming Stick+ for the bedroom where I'd need to use a Wi-Fi connection. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding how these work?

In terms of how that would work, would I use the little Roku remote to navigate to a DirectTV Now app or Hulu Live app, and then once I'm in that app it's like I'm channel surfing like normal?

Are these streaming services sending in an HD signal? Or is it all standard definition?

Thank you!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DirecTV Now is HD for sure; that's what I use.

You're correct in that you'd open the service's app - the DirecTV Now app feels pretty similar to using any cable/satellite receiver from the last 15 years.

The DTV Now app for Roku is hot garbage though. It's choppy and unresponsive even on fairly recent hardware. Unless you're married to Roku for some other reason, I'd consider a Fire TV stick/box, as the DTV Now app for Fire TV is a million times better.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

surf rock posted:

I just decided to cut the TV portion from my Comcast contract, going with gigabit internet-only. So, I need to figure out which of these streaming services I want to get.

Right now, I think DirecTV Now makes the most sense. I can get every channel I want except the NFL Network for $40/month, and add HBO for just $5. Hulu is competitive, although losing AMC and adding HBO costing more kinda sucks. Is either of these two services considered notably better than the other in terms of picture quality and service reliability?

Also, I've never actually used a Roku device before. I think I would want a Roku Ultra for the living room where the router is so that I can take advantage of the ethernet port for that TV, and a Roku Streaming Stick+ for the bedroom where I'd need to use a Wi-Fi connection. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding how these work?

In terms of how that would work, would I use the little Roku remote to navigate to a DirectTV Now app or Hulu Live app, and then once I'm in that app it's like I'm channel surfing like normal?

Are these streaming services sending in an HD signal? Or is it all standard definition?

Thank you!

I was in a very similar position a month or so ago. All of the services offer a free week trial so I would try each one (make sure to cancel before the week is up) and see which one you like best. My favorite so far has been YoutubeTV but I’m still trying out different ones. All send an HD signal and you use the Roku remote. I would suggest getting the Streaming Stick + first (it’s what I ended up getting) - the wireless signal with it is really good, you’re planning to get one anyway, and you may not need the Ultra.

I would also note that you can get HBONow through Comcast and access the app on your Roku, without needing to go through the streaming service.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know if there’s a way to set default stream quality for YouTube tv on Apple TV? It defaults to auto 240p for me and never changes even though once I select 1080p manually it works just fine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watched this week's "The Good Place" on Hulu and to my surprise I was coming in as 5.1. This is the first non-Hulu Original I've encountered with proper discreet surround sound.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I ended up getting the Roku Ultra. Haven't started any of the free trials yet, but I did get the Pluto and Tubi channels and I'm pretty impressed by them. Lot of good content here. There's also a channel that seems to solely be women dancing around a beach in bikinis, so, good luck matching that, Hulu.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

surf rock posted:

I ended up getting the Roku Ultra. Haven't started any of the free trials yet, but I did get the Pluto and Tubi channels and I'm pretty impressed by them. Lot of good content here. There's also a channel that seems to solely be women dancing around a beach in bikinis, so, good luck matching that, Hulu.

Crackle, Roku Channel and FilmRise also have a bunch of free movies/TV shows

LocalNow is basically The Weather Channel's "Weather on the 8's" on-demand - there's a bunch of other bullshit after that (Yelp reviews for local restaurants, etc.) but you don't have to sit through those

I've already bought like 3 Roku TV's for the olds in my family because they're easy to use and integrate the OTA broadcasts so well when coupled with an HDTV antenna

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even with cable and a big Plex library, we still found ourselves watching old Jerry Springer on Roku channel last night.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even with cable and a big Plex library, we still found ourselves watching old Jerry Springer on Roku channel last night.

Pluto on-demand has every season of Surreal Life and I find myself watching that a lot

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is switching to a new Roku simple to do, just register it and log in? I'm thinking about getting my parents a newer model, but I know they won't want to set up their channels again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baby Proof posted:

Is switching to a new Roku simple to do, just register it and log in? I'm thinking about getting my parents a newer model, but I know they won't want to set up their channels again.

Logging into your Roku account will pull down all the apps you installed but you'll have to log into the app accounts like Netflix or whatever again.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
One thing I've always hated about Roku is that your channels are attached to your account instead of per device. Add it to one and it gets added to all. And as stated, it doesn't even log in.

Am I wrong? Is there an option I didn't uncheck? Some channels just don't run well on my old 3, and I'd prefer they weren't even installed.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's about time I do some Roku janitoring. I have many ancient channels that haven't been updated in ages and don't work properly anymore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

utonium posted:

One thing I've always hated about Roku is that your channels are attached to your account instead of per device. Add it to one and it gets added to all. And as stated, it doesn't even log in.

Am I wrong? Is there an option I didn't uncheck? Some channels just don't run well on my old 3, and I'd prefer they weren't even installed.

Yeah, that's just how Roku is. The UI seems like it's pulled straight from 2008, but it's stable as gently caress and easy to use so...guess that's the trade off.

It's parent proof, basically.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Something Offal posted:

It's about time I do some Roku janitoring. I have many ancient channels that haven't been updated in ages and don't work properly anymore.

Yeah I accidentally did this and like it way better. I bought a new Roku TV for my 8 year old and deleted all of the apps except what I thought was appropriate. Went to my TV and drat, I apparently deleted all of the apps here too. No big deal, I realized I hardly ever used many of the apps so I just redownloaded the 8-10 that I do use and it's much simpler. I mean, I had downloaded poo poo like the MTV and Discovery app. I don't think I ever opened them. Hell, Hulu, Netflix, Tableo, Plex and UKTV cover like 99% of my TV watching anyway.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Easiest if you just make a separate Roku account for their Roku(s). You can create/setup an account without adding a credit card to make sure they aren't accidentally purchasing things on your account, too.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Thanks for the Tubi rec. They have Peep Show!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The new Roku OS is rolling out today. Spotify is coming back soon!

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/os-9-release-notes

quote:

Roku® OS 9 Release Notes
Today we’re beginning to roll out Roku OS 9, an update to the operating system that powers Roku® streaming players, Roku TV™ models and new Roku TV™ Wireless Speakers. This update includes new features such as Automatic Volume Leveling for select Roku devices, voice enhancements including “free” genre search, and performance improvements aimed at delivering the best possible streaming experience when using supported Roku devices.

Roku OS 9 will begin rolling out to select Roku streaming players starting today and is expected to rollout to all supported streaming players by the end of the year. Roku TV models are expected to receive the update in early 2019. A list of key Roku OS 9 features and updates, as well as supported Roku devices, is included below.

Note: Some updates apply to specific Roku devices. In those instances, additional information on where to view supported devices is included.

Key Roku OS 9 features:

Automatic Volume Leveling – This feature enables a uniform audio level across various types of content, so it will no longer feel jarring when a commercial comes on or when streaming channels are changed. This feature can be turned on/off within the Volume Mode setting that appears in the options menu after pressing the Star button “*” during video playback. Automatic Volume Leveling is available on select Roku streaming players and Roku TV models. Click here for more information on Automatic Volume Leveling and supported devices.
Note that this feature will be available on Roku TVs running Roku OS 8.2 when they are paired with the new Roku TV Wireless Speakers.

Voice search and control enhancements, including “free” genre search (US only) – Roku’s voice search feature now supports genre-based searches for free entertainment. Customers can use simple voice commands such as “let’s see free documentaries,” “show me free comedies,” “find free dramas” and more to see a list of search results for free entertainment available on the Roku platform.
In addition, customers can now control media playback using their voice to pause, fast forward and more. When using voice search and control, customers will see a new heads-up-display (HUD), as well as receive audio feedback, to provide confirmation that their voice intent was understood.

Additional information about voice search and controls, as well as supported devices, can be found here.

This feature is already available on Roku TV models running Roku OS 8.2.

Access and control iHeartRadio, Pandora and TuneIn by voice (US only) – Roku customers can now use voice search and controls for music by simply speaking commands such as “Play some Jazz.” Roku OS 9 enables select Roku streaming players to support music commands so customers can launch live radio stations from across the country, podcasts, custom artist stations and more with iHeartRadio; Playlists, stations and more via Pandora; and live radio stations, play-by-play sports, news, etc. with TuneIn using a Roku voice remote, or in the coming weeks with an update to the free Roku mobile app.
To view the full list of Roku devices that support voice controls, please click here.

Voice control of these music services is already available on Roku TV models running Roku OS 8.2.

Spotify availability – Customers with select Roku players will soon be able to discover, manage and share over 35M songs for free, or upgrade to Spotify Premium to access exclusive features including improved sound quality and ad-free listening. Roku customers with Roku OS 9 will be able to launch and navigate the channel using a Roku remote or via Spotify Connect on a laptop, tablet or mobile phone. Spotify will soon be available to add from the Roku channel store here and selecting the “Music” category once available.
Spotify will be available to add on Roku TV models running Roku OS 8.2.

Supported Roku devices receiving Roku OS 9:

Roku Streaming Players – 4661X, 4660X, 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4400X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X, 3921X, 3920X, 3910X, 3900X, 3810X, 3800X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X, 3500X, 3420X, 3400X, 3100X, 3050X, 3000X, 2720X, 2710X, 2700X, 2500X, 2450X, 2400X
Roku TV – All Roku TV models are expected to receive Roku OS 9
* Note: Streaming channel developers, content partners, advertisers and anyone who would like information related to SDK updates and additional improvements within Roku OS 9 can find more info on the Roku Developer Blog or in our SDK documentation.

Happy Streaming!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still no UI overhaul but I guess that's not as big as a deal now that most of the major apps have finally rolled out their own UIs now

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Roki posted:

Automatic Volume Leveling
Hell yeah!

Roki posted:

Roku TV models are expected to receive the update in early 2019
drat it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FCKGW posted:

Still no UI overhaul but I guess that's not as big as a deal now that most of the major apps have finally rolled out their own UIs now

I've never had an issue with Roku's UI... all the apps have their own UIs anyway.

That said, Prime still has a dumb UI on everything, and DTVNow isn't very intuitive at first, but once you figure it out it's not hard to work with.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to have an app launch immediately when you power on a Roku TV? Like have it go straight into Pluto when I turn it on?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

EugeneJ posted:

Is there any way to have an app launch immediately when you power on a Roku TV? Like have it go straight into Pluto when I turn it on?

Unfortunately no, otherwise I would have it boot straight into DTVNOW for my parents.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I know you can with a Harmony (hub type) remote, but I don't remember there being a way with just the Roku.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I think their voice remote might be adding the ability to say “open this channel” and if it is on that fast start mode, it will open start up directly to that spot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

wandler20 posted:

The new Roku OS is rolling out today. Spotify is coming back soon!

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/os-9-release-notes

What I like about Roku is that they continue to support their older models. The antithesis of some companies.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zogo posted:

What I like about Roku is that they continue to support their older models. The antithesis of some companies.

Yeah, it's pretty cool of them.

I'm sure it hamstrings them a lot in what they can do, but they seem to understand that 95% of people who buy these kinds of devices are watching Netflix and Hulu on them and that's probably it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The grandparents were using an original Roku box (the first device to ever test Netflix streaming service) and they just replaced it like last year.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
God drat is Spectrum pissing me off.

For a year I've been having issues. I have a tech out every month or sometimes every week. One time they found that it was congestion and split the node.
Every night at 9pm my speed drops from 400mbs to under 20. They send a tech, they see the problem, they "fix it" they send a line tech, they send all the things, and it still persists. This is over the course of several modems, two routers, two motherboards. They've replaced my line in the house, and from the tap to the house.

One tech thinks its congestion and if I upgrade to the 1gbs I'd be put on a different frequency free from congestion. I called to upgrade and they stopped me dead in my tracks with a 200 dollar "activation fee."
For how lovely this has been over a year, they pretty much owe me over 200 dollars as they haven't compensated me for most of my slow/outages. I've been cool with them, I've asked 3 people already and they won't waive the fee. I wasn't cool with the fourth person as I told them I won't allow utility access anymore to a pole that is easier to access in my backyard, but it isn't in my backyard, nor does it service my house, and its really, really difficult to reach from the yard that it is placed in. They claim that they have easement rights. I don't have an easement. So I don't know what will happen the next time they need access and I tell them no. They've have dudes not related to my connection in my backyard every month.
So now I'm in a send a tech out every week mode and I got some form of compensation for the last month. I'm going to ask again for October.

Is there a way to waive the fee, I feel like I shouldn't have to be a dick but I'm starting to be. Also, how the gently caress do I get my root problem fixed?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Stop using Spectrum, that's how.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Stop using Spectrum, that's how.

In this day and age that's like telling someone to stop using electricity if they only have a single provider in the area, which is incredibly common outside of urban areas.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I live in the heart of dallas and have only 2 options for internet service. One of which has a data cap and is more expensive with less speed. Spectrum is the other option.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah, I have had Comcast for 20 years but my new house is Spectrum only. Luckily it looks like it's fairly new to the area so hopefully that means it's not total poo poo quality. :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

One tech thinks its congestion and if I upgrade to the 1gbs I'd be put on a different frequency free from congestion.

This is a cop out answer. Modems use channel bonding. Anywhere from 8 to 32 channels are bonded so you are already using 3-32 frequencies. When you upgrade to 1gbps they just tftp a file to your modem that says to allow up to 1gbps

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has PS Vue been kind of making GBS threads itself for anyone else lately? Some channels work but others hang with audio-only for a couple minutes before just erroring out. Been happing a lot over the past week. I'm on an Apple TV.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Minidust posted:

Has PS Vue been kind of making GBS threads itself for anyone else lately? Some channels work but others hang with audio-only for a couple minutes before just erroring out. Been happing a lot over the past week. I'm on an Apple TV.

I haven't had that issue per se but I've had a LOT of excessive buffering, especially in sports recently, much more than I've seen in the past year.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Is there a way to waive the fee, I feel like I shouldn't have to be a dick but I'm starting to be. Also, how the gently caress do I get my root problem fixed?

I can't answer the question in it's entirety, but I'm a power lineman and I can tell you that while you can't prevent them from walking to and climbing (or using a ladder because lmao cable "linemen") the pole, you can absolutely tell them they cannot drive a bucket truck across your yard.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

jokes posted:

I live in the heart of dallas and have only 2 options for internet service. One of which has a data cap and is more expensive with less speed. Spectrum is the other option.

When you say you live in the heart of Dallas, do you mean like Lakewood or like kind of North Plano, you know, not Corinth or anything? Because AT&T seems to be putting a pretty good effort into 5G in the denser areas of Dallas, even though I think it is largely an excuse not to invest in FTTH. But I have FTTH so eh, not my problem.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

They claim that they have easement rights. I don't have an easement.

Are you SURE you don't have an easement? Because it is very common to have easement(s) that you don't know about and it's not uncommon for people to accidentally build something like a fence into them and then at some point Spectrum comes knocking and it becomes a choice between taking the fence down or letting them in the backyard on occasion and then everyone forgets about the whole thing until someone new buys the house and it becomes a thing.

Don Lapre posted:

This is a cop out answer. Modems use channel bonding. Anywhere from 8 to 32 channels are bonded so you are already using 3-32 frequencies. When you upgrade to 1gbps they just tftp a file to your modem that says to allow up to 1gbps

I ran into this a long time ago and don't remember how it turned out but basically, my signal was fine but a couple of the bonded channels were absolute garbage and hosed everything up. They eventually fixed it but it was a whole deal and a lot of techs just looked at the signal strength and blamed other people.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I see. They made it sound like it was something new as it uses docsis 3.1... which is just more channel bonding. Hah. I dont even know if their handheld equipment can read all of the channels now that I think about it.

I had an easement when I bought the house. My backyard property line is against a street and when the house was built the easement section got a chain link fence instead of brick like the rest or the yard.

A storm happened and washed a bunch of my land into the street through the chain link fence.

The easement was removed after that happened. That was the only thing on record as well.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 1, 2018