Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm happy to leave spiders and poo poo alone. The trouble is with the aggressively territorial ones like the funnel web which will loving chase you.

Also, it can hold its breath forever and likes to fall into swimming pools and take out its frustrations by biting peoples' feet.

EDIT: Top of the page spider. gently caress all, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://i.imgur.com/tsMHa1q.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just missing the whole farm going hostile and shooting Arthur because he touched their hay

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/7H2vx13.gifv

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

When I was a kid my babysitter had a (de-glanded) pet skunk. It was adorable and smart. They're basically ferrets.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You can de-gland skunks and keep them for pets. The still smell musky and skunkish, bit not terrible and obviously cant spray.

They are closely related to ferrets and act pretty similar.

Check state laws and whether a vet near you will see them tho.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Double Punctuation posted:

One of these fuckers decided to take up residence in the toilet when I went camping. I had to keep shining the flashlight around to make sure it wasn’t going to decide I looked warm and cozy.

I also had a scorpion chase me around in a separate toilet. Camping can get scary if you don’t like arachnids.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/iOP2VYp.gifv

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They desperately needed to add the WASTED death screen

Azhais posted:

Just missing the whole farm going hostile and shooting Arthur because he touched their hay

For real how is this still a loving thing in video games. They'll spend millions of dollars and work 100-hour weeks for years developing a weather and lighting systems that lets me watch sunlight filter accurately through a procedurally generated billion-particle mist that's emanating realistically off my horse's organically temperature-and-weather-responsive balls, but NPC AI is still this same loving binary state that games have had for 25 years where NPCs flip between either being at peace or in an unending murderous rage, such that all you need to do is step on a loving chicken's foot outside a farm and suddenly, with hive-mind-like immediacy, every NPC in the vicinity will take up arms and home on you until you've killed them all or left the area.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Oct 31, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

bike tory posted:

For real how is this still a loving thing in video games. They'll spend millions of dollars and work 100-hour weeks for years developing a weather and lighting systems that lets me watch sunlight filter accurately through a procedurally generated billion-particle mist that's emanating realistically off my horse's organically temperature-and-weather-responsive balls, but NPC AI is still this same loving binary state that games have had for 25 years where NPCs flip between either being at peace or in an unending murderous rage, such that all you need to do is step on a loving chicken's foot outside a farm and suddenly, with hive-mind-like immediacy, every NPC in the vicinity will take up arms and home on you until you've killed them all or left the area.
They actually added a third "agitated" state in RDR2 where you can defuse the situation and the non-assholes will calm down while the assholes will go aggro anyway because they're supposed to. Sort of like how Oblivion/Skyrim had a "block while talking" way of defusing situations that got out of hand except people won't straight up attack you in the agitated state. It's a step in the right direction but it's by no means perfected.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DaveKap posted:

They actually added a third "agitated" state in RDR2 where you can defuse the situation and the non-assholes will calm down while the assholes will go aggro anyway because they're supposed to. Sort of like how Oblivion/Skyrim had a "block while talking" way of defusing situations that got out of hand except people won't straight up attack you in the agitated state. It's a step in the right direction but it's by no means perfected.

Depends on the situation. I came around a corner in Saint Denis and ran into another horse at a canter knocking us both down. Whole map went red and they killed me before it even finished the getting back on your feet animation

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This is straight off Looney Toons, especially when the shadow appears.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can't find it, but a coworker showed me a clip where someone was riding down the road, and a lady with a quest asks for help. She says, "My horse up and died" and then BAM! She gets blindsided by a deer that knocks her across the screen. The things that happen in this game. :allears:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I don't like handling eggshells, I tend to get STICKY FINGERS

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kheldarn posted:

I can't find it, but a coworker showed me a clip where someone was riding down the road, and a lady with a quest asks for help. She says, "My horse up and died" and then BAM! She gets blindsided by a deer that knocks her across the screen. The things that happen in this game. :allears:

https://twitter.com/zazzwah/status/1056356087085989889

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's the one. Now she's with her horse again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
watched a youtube of horse crashes in that game, I don't think the people who made it know how horses work. like, a horse isn't going to charge full speed into a brick wall just because you tell it to.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

uber_stoat posted:

watched a youtube of horse crashes in that game, I don't think the people who made it know how horses work. like, a horse isn't going to charge full speed into a brick wall just because you tell it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNsynI6C2w

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Thats the good stuff, I love hot swapping panels.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This broke my brain when I first watched it.

I wasn't paying full attention and was sure it was CG or a camera trick, then he did it for real the second time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

Funnily enough, they had it better in the RDR1. You could kill your horse by falling off a blind drop or by shooting it in the back of the head by accident, but the animal wouldn't charge straight into a tree at breakneck speed or slam headlong into a cart it saw approaching from a mile away.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Counterpoint, horses are dumb as poo poo and absolutely will kill themselves at a moments notice. With or without human intervention.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Aramoro posted:

Counterpoint, horses are dumb as poo poo and absolutely will kill themselves at a moments notice. With or without human intervention.

The horses in RDR2 will be fine as long as there are no ants to think about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramoro posted:

The thing I don't understand is why horse owners irl don't just have a bunch of bottles of horse reviver on hand at all times.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
We secretly (or not-so-secretly) hate our horses and wish death upon them.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Master Twig posted:

The horses in RDR2 will be fine as long as there are no ants to think about.

Poor Entity266f7db1 thought of bug #46632 and\n.. ThreadException():477.

#46632 WONTFIX

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That's some great sound design, a very solid THUD

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

gonna buy this game

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/py0IA6h.gifv

chienandalusia
Feb 17, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

gonna buy this game

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Azhais posted:

Depends on the situation. I came around a corner in Saint Denis and ran into another horse at a canter knocking us both down. Whole map went red and they killed me before it even finished the getting back on your feet animation
That particular situation was very likely the other guy dying because as soon as someone dies, then yeah, it's crazy full alert for everyone. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case and the game just hosed up. The system sure as hell isn't infallible.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Funnily enough, they had it better in the RDR1. You could kill your horse by falling off a blind drop or by shooting it in the back of the head by accident, but the animal wouldn't charge straight into a tree at breakneck speed or slam headlong into a cart it saw approaching from a mile away.
"Better" is subjective. I'll take my silly horse prat fall gifs over perfectly intelligent horses any day, thank you!
This is bothering the hell out of me because you can clearly see the very top of the second panel before it lights up and the guy's fully pressed it in between 2 frames.

DaveKap has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

It's kinda weird how the horse AI in Shadow of the Colossus, a game released on the ps2, is better than it is RDR. In that game you could ride in a thick forest and horse wouldn't hit a single tree and it would refuse to go off a cliff.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

DaveKap posted:

This is bothering the hell out of me because you can clearly see the very top of the second panel before it lights up and the guy's fully pressed it in between 2 frames.

I don't know, I've worked with a number of LED panel walls, but that seems pretty consistent with my experience. Sometimes the panels make contact with the connector leads (power and data, which you can see before he pops the panel in) before the panel is fully seated. It looks to me like they powered on the wall to troubleshoot any panels not working, and he was replacing two that weren't. I'm no expert on LED walls. They're too expensive for most venues around here to own, and tend to be the kind of thing big touring shows can afford to use, and they all use different brands and formats.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mushika posted:

I don't know, I've worked with a number of LED panel walls, but that seems pretty consistent with my experience. Sometimes the panels make contact with the connector leads (power and data, which you can see before he pops the panel in) before the panel is fully seated. It looks to me like they powered on the wall to troubleshoot any panels not working, and he was replacing two that weren't. I'm no expert on LED walls. They're too expensive for most venues around here to own, and tend to be the kind of thing big touring shows can afford to use, and they all use different brands and formats.

I am an expert on LED walls :smug: and in that video they are using magnetic "locking" panels with contact connectors. The reason it looks like it is missing frames is because the magnets are literally pulling the panel out of his hands. The second panel he is just adjusting the panel a bit to get rid of the seam. If you were to put a solid white image up there and shot the video looking directly at it apposed to from the side you would see the panel lines. Very few manufacturers use side suction to fully get rid of the seam.

Interesting industry tidbit; one small manufacturer of modular LED panels filed a patent lawsuit and actually won forcing several huge manufacturers to re-design their panels and several medium to large manufacturers said gently caress it and just closed up shop. It prevents the import of any more of that specific type of panel so continued support for those systems will be impossible within the next few years. Companies that spent half a million on a wall will likely have to replace the whole thing (or use illegally imported panels which is not that uncommon).

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

JEEVES420 posted:

I am an expert on LED walls :smug: and in that video they are using magnetic "locking" panels with contact connectors. The reason it looks like it is missing frames is because the magnets are literally pulling the panel out of his hands. The second panel he is just adjusting the panel a bit to get rid of the seam. If you were to put a solid white image up there and shot the video looking directly at it apposed to from the side you would see the panel lines. Very few manufacturers use side suction to fully get rid of the seam.

Interesting industry tidbit; one small manufacturer of modular LED panels filed a patent lawsuit and actually won forcing several huge manufacturers to re-design their panels and several medium to large manufacturers said gently caress it and just closed up shop. It prevents the import of any more of that specific type of panel so continued support for those systems will be impossible within the next few years. Companies that spent half a million on a wall will likely have to replace the whole thing (or use illegally imported panels which is not that uncommon).

Uh... I hope I don't have unsupported panels. Some company out of Atlanta did an LED ticker thing for my facility. I better look into this. lol

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

Huh. That's really interesting, thanks. Learned something new today.

What company was the small manufacturer that won the lawsuit? I'd like to read about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mushika posted:

Huh. That's really interesting, thanks. Learned something new today.

What company was the small manufacturer that won the lawsuit? I'd like to read about that.

UltraVision, went after Shenzhen made panels which is like 1 of 3 of the main Chinese manufacturers.

https://www.digitalsignagetoday.com/news/ultravision-wins-lawsuit-over-2-led-patents/

https://www.sixteen-nine.net/2018/04/02/ultravision-sues-37-led-companies-including-u-s-firms-for-patent-infringement/