Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

"He can gently caress" wasn't the reveal. The reveal was that he's pretending to be pathetically weak so he seems like a non-threat.

yeah but what kcroy said, why? i guess it sets him up to play Drinking with Tyrion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There wasn't a big plot reason for it. It was just to show he was cagey in contrast to his "helpful old man" shtick throughout S1.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And the only real payoff it got, aside from him bitchslapping a couple of those kids Qyburn sicced on him was cut from the show because it was too on the nose. Bit of a shame too, because Charles Dance and Julian Glover own the gently caress out of that scene regardless.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think was payoff, just making it more explicit. More Charles Dance is always welcome, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

And the only real payoff it got, aside from him bitchslapping a couple of those kids Qyburn sicced on him was cut from the show because it was too on the nose. Bit of a shame too, because Charles Dance and Julian Glover own the gently caress out of that scene regardless.

i just realized he's killing fish here, so tully, much like his gutting a stag for bobby b. :rolleye:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

i just realized he's killing fish here, so tully, much like his gutting a stag for bobby b. :rolleye:

And much like he's taking a poo poo when he dies, showing what the show as a whole was turning into.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

thats too bad they cut that scene, it at least gave us some payoff there.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And much like he's taking a poo poo when he dies, showing what the show as a whole was turning into.

https://giphy.com/gifs/supa-hot-fire-super-AJwnLEsQyT9oA

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This remains one of the best threads on these boards, amazing given that it's for a dopey series that will never be finished.

Are there any other fantasy series worth checking out these days? I heard some good things about Bakker, but reviews on Goodreads for fantasy are restricted to people who got all the way through. The people who hated the book don't bother.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

This remains one of the best threads on these boards, amazing given that it's for a dopey series that will never be finished.

Are there any other fantasy series worth checking out these days? I heard some good things about Bakker, but reviews on Goodreads for fantasy are restricted to people who got all the way through. The people who hated the book don't bother.

Bakker

Black demon seed.
Giant alien penis demons
Barbarians loving holes in the ground
Flying helicopters
Atomic bombs
Cannibalism
Not so much incest though.

This can both be seen as a recommendation or the opposite.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Bakker

Black demon seed.
Giant alien penis demons
Barbarians loving holes in the ground
Flying helicopters
Atomic bombs
Cannibalism
Not so much incest though.

This can both be seen as a recommendation or the opposite.

I see that after I pointed out that Bakker's prose is terrible, his fans can only recommend his books based on how WACKY AND VIOLENT they are.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Would this thread recommend I start reading the books? I just bought the first one from an op shop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Would this thread recommend I start reading the books? I just bought the first one from an op shop.

The first book is legit good, but it’s all down hill from here. Stick to the show otherwise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The first book is legit good

It's really not. The first book is as bad as the later books.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Goons hate all books. They wouldn’t be so popular if they were that bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All books are bad, friend. Only read traffic signs. That’s all the literature one ever needs in life.

E: on second thought, don’t even read those. Live on the wild side.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Tramp stamp iconography is the only literature that is really worth your time.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CUJxIQkpA

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Lampsacus posted:

The books are mostly great tbh. The first three (up to storm of swords) get progressively better and then theres sort of a slump with the next two - imo they don't have much a story being told, instead they're just setting up the rest of the series if that makes sense. I still enjoyed them though, but with caveats. Have fun!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

just be aware that the story being set up will never be published

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

The first three books (Storm of Swords is split into two so first four if you’re reading paperback) get progressively better and better with a series of particularly amazing resolutions to storylines. I read them all in pretty quick succession without them being spoiled by TV and enjoyed them.

Then as others have said the remaining books start setting up plot lines that have been shown on TV but not and probably will never be shown in book world.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Naomi Watts is starring in the dumb prequel show so now I have to watch it

my winter (of discontent) is never ending

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

It's pulp. Good pulp. Martin has two real skills as a writer: he writes a medieval voice really well (his books are full of nobles who don't fall over themselves being nice to pages and servants and there's an obsession with devices and lineage) and he's really good at making you turn the page, hardly surprising given he came from TV.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

esperterra posted:

Naomi Watts is starring in the dumb prequel show so now I have to watch it

my winter (of discontent) is never ending
Get hyped for *checks IMDB* Untitled Jane Goldman/Game of Thrones Spin-Off!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

they already started casting? lmao i was hoping it’d die on the shitter

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

You don't say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkQ5oARNxLU

;)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

they already started casting? lmao i was hoping it’d die on the shitter

Four of the five spin offs they pitched did. This was the one that survived the filter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

precision posted:

Actually why does anyone still want Cleganebowl anyway? The Mountain is dead already. There's no indication he's anything more than a zombie. Also the character arc of the Hound should end with him renouncing violence, not triumphing via the use of it

I dunno, The Hound leaving The Mountain's head nailed to a Sept door with his sword and just walking away from it for good would be pretty poetic.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

I dunno, The Hound leaving The Mountain's head nailed to a Sept door with his sword and just walking away from it for good would be pretty poetic.

Gurm things Dany making GBS threads in a field is poetic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

It's pulp. Good pulp. Martin has two real skills as a writer: he writes a medieval voice really well (his books are full of nobles who don't fall over themselves being nice to pages and servants and there's an obsession with devices and lineage) and he's really good at making you turn the page, hardly surprising given he came from TV.

I wonder how little you've read that Martin seems like good pulp to you or that you mistake his expressly modern voice for a medieval one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Please read Frans G. Bengtsson's Long Ships instead if you want an approximation of medieval voice.

Or you know, medieval literature.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Can't believe this wasn't posted here

http://www.latimes.com/books/la-et-jc-anarctica-stabbing-books-20181030-story.html

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Website is blocked in the EU due to GDPR (lol really) what does the article say ?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Some dude at an Antarctica station stabbed a fellow researcher because he spoiled a book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's how old Mormont died!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Please read Frans G. Bengtsson's Long Ships instead if you want an approximation of medieval voice.

You did it in original language?
Cause I did that.
Medieval voice in general has a rather terse prose a la Hemingway.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Or you know, medieval literature.

:frogout:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cardiac posted:

You did it in original language?
Cause I did that.
Medieval voice in general has a rather terse prose a la Hemingway.

There wasn’t any standardized spelling pre-Johnson dictionary either so it also reads like everyone is piss loving drunk too. Funny as poo poo, unintentionally so.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
nerd alert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013