Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Could also just take spoiler-chat to one of the other space opera threads, since pretty much any thread about a space opera will inevitably have short derails about other space operas anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nah.

I love how this thread self censors when someone says they are watching for the first time. I can’t think of any other thread I follow that will be so cool about it.

:glomp: B5 thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree I think it's nice :shobon:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
FYI, the actress who played Londo's wife Timov was on DC Legends of Tomorrow last night as a disney-esque Fairy Godmother who kills people and gets sent to hell. It's real good. And was nice seeing her again after this thread mentioned her a couple days ago.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I guess if I'm not the only one watching for the first time in this thread, I should use some spoilers too?

S1E22, Chrysalis - A good finale, lots going on. Confirmation (beyond the stuff I'd been spoiled on before) that the Shadows are manipulating Londo and the Centauri. Finally got to see G'Kar and Kosh deliver some lines. Not sure though why evidence of a plot to assassinate the president near Jupiter would be found in Babylon 5, but I probably just missed an explanatory line or something. And lastly the thing from the episode title: I thought that knowing about it ahead of time would spoil me, but it turns out the opening credits in the next season took care of that anyway.

S2E1, Points of Departure - Great episode, coming out strong with the start of a new season. I will admit that I found Sinclair kind of bland during the first season, but I immediately and unexpectedly felt his loss in the new season. I guess he was growing on me and I never knew. (Not going to spoiler tag cast changes, or else I'd never have anything in cleartext again.) But I liked Sheridan right away, which was good. Not sure about the fighter pilot who is suddenly getting drinks with Ivanova and the doctor but we'll see.

Love the Minbari/Human backstory revealed here, particularly tying all the way back to Soul Hunter at the start of the first season. I am really, really enjoying how the show slowly unfolds a continuous story. Starting to resent not having watched it for so long.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 31, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That new fighter pilot guy was a "suggestion" from higher-up that JMS was given.

What happens to him is one my favorite little details, knowing that the character was forced on the writer.

They never gave him another such suggestion. :allears:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
S2E2, Revelations - G’Kar returns with news from the Narn outpost. I am enjoying how the Narns and the Centauri are shaping out to be different from their first impressions. The spooky red-lit assassin lizardfolk are represented by a religious leader investigating ancient history to warn the galaxy, while the silly accent and hair brigade are turning out to be genocidal despots. I did not expect to pick this side in the conflict.

S2E3, The Geometry of Shadows - Lots of goofiness here, with the green/purple aliens fighting each other and the campy technomages. I like the little touches of personality for the characters, like how Sheridan loves oranges.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

wizzardstaff posted:

I guess if I'm not the only one watching for the first time in this thread, I should use some spoilers too?

S1E22, Chrysalis - A good finale, lots going on. Confirmation (beyond the stuff I'd been spoiled on before) that the Shadows are manipulating Londo and the Centauri. Finally got to see G'Kar and Kosh deliver some lines. Not sure though why evidence of a plot to assassinate the president near Jupiter would be found in Babylon 5, but I probably just missed an explanatory line or something. And lastly the thing from the episode title: I thought that knowing about it ahead of time would spoil me, but it turns out the opening credits in the next season took care of that anyway.

That's a fuckup on the DVDs. The original S2 credits didn't contain the spoiler.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

That's a fuckup on the DVDs. The original S2 credits didn't contain the spoiler.

Yes, I think it showed the cocoon for her title card, which was kind of funny.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vavrek posted:

That new fighter pilot guy was a "suggestion" from higher-up that JMS was given.

What happens to him is one my favorite little details, knowing that the character was forced on the writer.

Where I grew up, "keff" was slang for a fart, so someone who farted a lot was, naturally, a "keffer". Whether JMS shared the same slang I have no idea, but the character's name always amused me no end.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jedit posted:

I don’t know about the DVDs; it’s actually streaming from Amazon. I think they have a poor source material for the episodes though. There are lots of little of film reel errors, like the little spots and blips that appear on the screen in a movie theater. So wherever they got the episodes, it’s not high quality.

It’s a shame that I apparently missed out on an alternate version of the opening credits though. That is hands down my favorite TV show production detail: when a show has an established opening sequence but tweaks it to indicate something special about a single episode. Buffy did it for the episode where the nerd mind controlled everyone into thinking he was the hero. Fringe did it really, really well for their alternate reality and future timeline episodes, up until the modified credits just became the standard intro for the last season which kind of ruined the effect.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fringe’s 80s credits were the best. They were just the right amount of silly to not be parody.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

I don’t know about the DVDs; it’s actually streaming from Amazon. I think they have a poor source material for the episodes though. There are lots of little of film reel errors, like the little spots and blips that appear on the screen in a movie theater. So wherever they got the episodes, it’s not high quality.

I never noticed it but my DVD copy also has the spoiler in the opening credits. Doh.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
B5 had a few alternate opening titles during its run but I don't think the DVDs maintain any of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Payndz posted:

Where I grew up, "keff" was slang for a fart, so someone who farted a lot was, naturally, a "keffer". Whether JMS shared the same slang I have no idea, but the character's name always amused me no end.

There's what I'm all-but-certain is a deliberate goatsce reference in late-season episode using a viewport. I don't know if the timeframe is right for that one though, but I think someone in this thread mentioned it was :tinfoil:.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goatse.cx was born in 1999, though maybe shock images were a thing before then. I know the B5 people were extremely online when they were making the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

Goatse.cx was born in 1999, though maybe shock images were a thing before then. I know the B5 people were extremely online when they were making the show.

I knew I had the screencap somewhere! Seriously, look at this shot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
By G'kwan! What is that man doing to his dumpgate?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Vavrek posted:

I think someone said that JMS regrets sidelining the character in retrospect because he really liked the actor.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

B5 had a few alternate opening titles during its run but I don't think the DVDs maintain any of them.

The only one I can think of (aside from the Delenn change) is the Psi Corps one, and I can't remember if that made it to the DVD or not. Were there any others?

I don't think the S2 ISN-centric episode had alternate titles, because I remember thinking it was odd to go all-in on the ISN point of view, but shoehorn in the regular titles.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 31, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Psi Corps one is still there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I knew I had the screencap somewhere! Seriously, look at this shot.

This really seems intentional.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Grand Fromage posted:

This really seems intentional.

No ring.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It doesn't need a ring, the whole station rotates.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A buddy of mine is watching B5 for the first time on Comet and doing a pretty good job pointing out guest stars I've somehow never noticed in three or four runs, such as Jessica Walter as a random senator in Season 2. It's pretty fun to have a fair number of fresh eyes on this show after so long.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Grand Fromage posted:

It doesn't need a ring, the whole station rotates.

:golfclap:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mojo1701a posted:

I think someone said that JMS regrets sidelining the character in retrospect because he really liked the actor.

To me, Robert Rusler will always be Seether in Wing Commander IV.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Delsaber posted:

A buddy of mine is watching B5 for the first time on Comet and doing a pretty good job pointing out guest stars I've somehow never noticed in three or four runs, such as Jessica Walter as a random senator in Season 2. It's pretty fun to have a fair number of fresh eyes on this show after so long.

Keep an eye peeled for a young Brian Cranston too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

To me, Robert Rusler will always be Seether in Wing Commander IV.

:same:

Pliers was the best :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just saw S1E4, Contagion, and oh boy that felt like a different show. It was like a Star Trek The Next Generation knockoff, which I’m sure people have been saying for 25 years. I did notice, though, that they still made time for three different character-building scenes at the end, rushing the dumb sci-fi a-story to fit them all in, and that elevates the episode for me. One of them even mentions that it makes no sense for the station’s commander to keep doing commando raids and that there’s a character reason for it. That alone elevates the material beyond 1993.

S1E5 is a lot better overall. Some of the delivery and direction seem a little clumsy, but I like that they try to work so much humor into the dialogue. Stuff like G’Kar singing and doing the incredulous “these are G’Kar’s quarters; this is G’Kar’s table; this is G’Kar’s dinner” routine come out really clumsy and stagey, but it definitely gives the show character. And I continue to like the density of each episode: an a- and b-plot, plus the background of a religious festival to characterize some of the cultures and cast is a really efficient use of screen time. This is also one of the few science fiction shows I’ve seen that presents spirituality and religious ideas in a somewhat natural or neutral way, that is, where they’re accepted as part of the setting without someone explicitly commenting on either their tolerance or suspicion of religious ideas.

That mantis puppet black market guy is getting kind of repetitive, though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That mantis puppet black market guy is getting kind of repetitive, though.

I feel like that might be his last appearance, so you're in the clear there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If something looks expensive, it's probably not long for the show.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

doing the incredulous “these are G’Kar’s quarters; this is G’Kar’s table; this is G’Kar’s dinner” routine come out really clumsy and stagey, but it definitely gives the show character.

That was always one of my favorite bits for him, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So.... did someone die recently?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
G'kar's room feels so G'kar, it is good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So.... did someone die recently?

Naw, bruh, the show came back to life! :zombie:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I missed insect dude later on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Naw, bruh, the show came back to life! :zombie:

It is not dead who can forever Bab/
And in strange Aeons, even death Markab

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Stuff like G’Kar singing and doing the incredulous “these are G’Kar’s quarters; this is G’Kar’s table; this is G’Kar’s dinner” routine come out really clumsy and stagey, but it definitely gives the show character.

B5 gets pretty stagey and theatrical at times, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5 gets pretty stagey and theatrical at times, it rules.

WHO ARE YOU